• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Trickster

So I just bought this game on steam. And I am getting my ass handed to me by medium opponents in the arcade mode. This game seems very technical, button mashing is just not a viable option at all :p

So I'm wondering if there are some good suggestions for someone who is new to the game, and hasnt touched a beat'em'up game since doa4?

Can anyone explain the changes to Ranked match in AE to me? Ive been googling around and can't find anything really.

The in game hud has my BP and PP but has /(Trophy9999) beside it? What does this mean?

Onemic

So I just bought this game on steam. And I am getting my ass handed to me by medium opponents in the arcade mode. This game seems very technical, button mashing is just not a viable option at all :p

So I'm wondering if there are some good suggestions for someone who is new to the game, and hasnt touched a beat'em'up game since doa4?

Check out the SRK forums and wiki. The game does a pretty bad job in explaining how the game works and how to get better, so those will be your main sources for learning the game(the forums much more so). Here's a footsie guide as well, which goes beyond SF and will help you become better at fighters in general. James Chen does a pretty good beginners guide to fighters and SF called First attack and you can find that here. I'm not sure if he still does the series, but if he does I think it's usually done on Mondays and can be found streaming on Twitch. His series definitely helped me become a better player when I first started playing fighting games last year. (still suck ass doe)

Mess around with the characters in training mode until you find one that clicks for you. Generally Ryu and Ken(especially Ryu) are the most beginner friendly characters because they have all the tools you need to play offensively and defensively.

The game is all about links, setups, and vortex's, so besides mashing SRK,(Your characters go-to reversal) crouch tech,(pressing lp +lk) and ultra, mashing wont help you at all. (and in fact mashing srk, crouch tech, and ultra won't help you become a better player either, it'll just make people hate you :p )

Edgeward

BP is points you earn with a specific character

PP is points you earn overall in every ranked match

The trophy number is the online ranking for each category

xCobalt

Learning the game came be rather overwhelming considering all the information out there. If you have time though, be sure to check out Vesper Arcade's tutorials.

Real quick though, fighting games have a rock, paper, scissors mechanic. Blocking beats out attacks, attacks beats out throws and throws beat out blocking. There are a few exceptions but that's the general rule.

One of the things a beginner should learn are anti airs. Basically, moves that will prevent your opponent from jumping in on you. Everyone in the cast has some sort of anti air whether it be normal attacks or a special move. It's pretty clear which moves are used as anti airs (the animation tend to have an upward angle).

Another thing I notice with beginners is that they become very reliant on focus attacks. People often think "I can land an easy combo if I can fully charge this!" which will develop bad habits. At low levels of play, you should mainly use focus attacks to punish someone. As you progress, you'll learn how to continue combos or make yourself safer with focus cancels but that's a bit more advanced.

Overall, just have fun with the game. Try the tutorials and get a feel of which character appeals to you. If you have any questions, anyone here can answer it for you.

OceanBlue

irPurgi.jpg
:D

I think it's useful for beginner players to learn to be patient. Remember that you're playing a two-player game. In that regard, anti-airs are really important since a lot of new players are too antsy to force their gameplay on you and will do random stuff to close the gap between the two of you. You can get a lot of free damage just by hanging out.

Pachimari

Will somebody here help a total noob (or at least a real bad player) learn the mechanics of Street Fighter?

I have this game but I have played Tekken for the past decade or more, and sometimes a bit of Street Fighter and other 2D and 3D fighters but I never get even decent at Street Fighter. :(

Onemic

Will somebody here help a total noob (or at least a real bad player) learn the mechanics of Street Fighter?

I have this game but I have played Tekken for the past decade or more, and sometimes a bit of Street Fighter and other 2D and 3D fighters but I never get even decent at Street Fighter. :(

What do you play on? PC? 360? PS3? And we got a new thread going here

MIMIC

Banned

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/basic-gameplay-details-street-fighter-4/

EDIT: Wait a minute...don't threads usually get locked and remade when the post count crosses the 20,000 post mark?

Hey all, had my copy of Super stolen last year, so I've been out of the game for awhile, but does anyone know what I would need to do to get back into it with Ultra if I've already bought AE?

AE was DLC for Super correct? So I couldn't just buy a cheap copy of Vanilla, then buy the Ultra DLC?

Top Bottom