• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

gutabo

Satyamdas said:
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

edit: new page! also not so ninja edit

Chavelo

gutabo said:
Sexy Scarlett Johansson eating popcorn.gif
(kinda big gif)

I just beat ya, broski.

/drops drumsticks in front of him and poses

EDIT: HA! I still have your old post. I STILL WIN!

/tries to clutch meaningless win

Sanwa modded is a good deal all you really need.

iPlaywinner

has a pretty good character guide not sure how updated it is considering AE is not very old but should be good for the basics at least.

LProtag

ARXIN said:
Sanwa modded is a good deal all you really need.

iPlaywinner

has a pretty good character guide not sure how updated it is considering AE is not very old but should be good for the basics at least.

I've been looking around there actually since I posted that last post. For some reason I'm interested in Makoto but from what I'm reading she doesn't seem that beginner friendly.

Is there perhaps a character I should use to get the basics down before switching to a main or does that not really work with everyone having differing playstyles?

Picking up AE this weekend. If anyone wants free battlepoints give me a holla (PSN). Might return to Abel from my brief exposure to vanilla but Hakan's ...oil... intrigues me.

edit: oh and I touched MarkMan last weekend. :O

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
For someone who asked when Mad Catz started becoming cool...

It's when ppl stopped learning to listen to their hearts.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I'll never stop.

<3

FYI. We are focusing on high end/quality now.

Solune

ARXIN said:
OT4 bad ass. I should spend more time in here.

*Wishes Fighting-Gaf had a t-shirt*

If haloGaf and PonyGaf can..

maybe a Ryu silhouette throwing a hadouken with the GAF logo?
I don't want to say too much but, I hit up notworksafe since his work on his stick looks awesome and he agreed to help. He's quite busy so once we've got something together I'll post it here as well as the T-shirt thread. Got some ideas brewing.

Edgeward

Just get yourself invited to gafchat to set-up matches whenever someone joins the psn chat, if you need an invite friend me at Edgeward34.

LProtag

Well right now I don't have a stick or the game yet, I'm also recovering from getting my wisdom teeth out and I'm a bit loopy, haha. But I'll be sure to get involved with the community and you guys can help me out and kick my ass a lot.

Solune said:
I don't want to say too much but, I hit up notworksafe since his work on his stick looks awesome and he agreed to help. He's quite busy so once we've got something together I'll post it here as well as the T-shirt thread. Got some ideas brewing.
That would be awesome.

also Ryu is the fundamentals character to use. Good for beginners who want to learn to play the game.

Sblargh

Banned
Started playing Rose, her hitbox makes so much sense I don't even know how to explain. You press the button, character does the animation and stuff hits (or whiffs) exactly where is supposed to. I defeat people who clearly play this game more then I do just by poking right 10.000 times during the fight. She just hits where she is supposed to.

LProtag

ARXIN said:
also Ryu is the fundamentals character to use. Good for beginners who want to learn to play the game.

Alright. I kinda assumed that but wasn't sure. I suppose I'll try him out for a bit, or perhaps Ken would be better as I think I'd prefer rushdown as opposed to zoning?

gutabo

Sblargh said:
Started playing Rose, her hitbox makes so much sense I don't even know how to explain. You press the button, character does the animation and stuff hits (or whiffs) exactly where is supposed to. I defeat people who clearly play this game more then I do just by poking right 10.000 times during the fight. She just hits where she is supposed to.
Read the rose section here: Abel - Rose matchup thread
It's about Rose's issues with abel so you know them. It's abel-centric but most of the theory applies to everyone else, so take some notes.

elfinke

Huzzah, OT4. I'm still coming down from EVO hype too. If anyone updates the OP PSN/360 tag list, add me to the 360 side 'elfinke'. I'm AUSGAF, which makes it a tad harder to get any match ups going, however.

Also, that turbo using Bison was er, something...

Threi

notag
now those that know me know that i didn't post that video for no reason, obviously its one of my self-pity trips that happen pretty much every time I play the game. But, I wish to spark a little debate here. Now you see in that video that despite the turbo and randomness factor, I was completely overwhelmed. It is not a new occurrence. Here's the thing, who was the better player in that match? I ask that because people have been saying that a player is only as good as the character is, and if the character is limited then the player is as well, and essentially losses "don't count" because of this character handicap. I personally disagree with that theory, I say there is no hypothetical "hidden potential" in a player, handicapped by the character. For my example DeeJay in particular isn't that bad of a character anymore, and all the mistakes in that video fall on me as a player, not DeeJay being poor or turbo bison being insane. Switching to Yun or something wouldn't magically make me not get hit by crossups, low shorts, and failed throw techs.

So what do you think? What I am essentially trying to say is that at least on a level that isn't absolutely tops (and even then I debate that) the character you use doesn't have any bearing on your skill level. The onus is on the player, not the character. You can lose with Dan or Hakan all the time and say "oh it's just the character I play", I say unless you show me that you can win with a seemingly "better" character i think it's just that you are a bad player.

I think we need to stop attributing so heavily the character a person plays to their overall skill level, and instead look at the strengths and weaknesses of the player themselves.

holdbrillanj

Neo Member
Threi said:
wall of text

Regardless of skill, matchups are still valid. A bad dhalsim vs a bad abel is still hard for the dhalsim. Even a good yun can struggle against a mediocre hawk/gief. But yes, blaming your character is no excuse. One can simply swap main or counterpick.

Satyamdas

Banned
gutabo said:
Nice matches even against the counter pick and the pause mistake. What's the deal on the yang - sim matchup?
The deal is that it is only slightly less terrible than the Yun matchup. Yun/Sim is 8-2, and Yang/Sim is 7-3. Both of them can go get fucked. ^_^

Threi said:
now those that know me know that i didn't post that video for no reason, obviously its one of my self-pity trips that happen pretty much every time I play the game. But, I wish to spark a little debate here. Now you see in that video that despite the turbo and randomness factor, I was completely overwhelmed. It is not a new occurrence. Here's the thing, who was the better player in that match? I ask that because people have been saying that a player is only as good as the character is, and if the character is limited then the player is as well, and essentially losses "don't count" because of this character handicap. I personally disagree with that theory, I say there is no hypothetical "hidden potential" in a player, handicapped by the character. For my example DeeJay in particular isn't that bad of a character anymore, and all the mistakes in that video fall on me as a player, not DeeJay being poor or turbo bison being insane. Switching to Yun or something wouldn't magically make me not get hit by crossups, low shorts, and failed throw techs.

So what do you think? What I am essentially trying to say is that at least on a level that isn't absolutely tops (and even then I debate that) the character you use doesn't have any bearing on your skill level. The onus is on the player, not the character. You can lose with Dan or Hakan all the time and say "oh it's just the character I play", I say unless you show me that you can win with a seemingly "better" character i think it's just that you are a bad player.

I think we need to stop attributing so heavily the character a person plays to their overall skill level, and instead look at the strengths and weaknesses of the player themselves.
I think you fuck up when you try to divorce player skill and character strength completely. I see no reason to not consider that it is a combination of both player skill and character strength that contributes to the success or failure of a player. Whether the ratio is 90/10, 70/30, or 50/50 player skill/char strength isn't important. It's not like we can quantify that anyway. The fact is that both must be taken into consideration.

Just a few pages back I remember Imm0rtal saying how many wins he racks up with ease with Yun, and also saying how hard of a grind it is playing Gouken. Having played Gouken for so long and Yun for so relatively a short period of time, you would think that he would still have more success with Gouken. But even though his skill as a player is the same, when he switches to a stronger character lo and behold the wins come easier. This happens to a ton of players, and is evidence to me that player skill alone is not the only determining factor when it comes to wins/losses like threi claims.

I agree that most players whining about characters holding players back and using tier placement as a crutch is just BS excuse making. Threi goes to the opposite extreme of this, and acts like every character is perfectly balanced with every other character, therefore the outcome of a match is decided 100% upon the skill of the player, and that matchups, tools, and relative strength or weakness of characters is a total non-factor.

Threi was moaning about not being able to beat us gaf irc regulars on a consistent basis with DeeJay. He says that DeeJay's weaknesses are irrelevant, and if he were a good enough player he would overcome those weaknesses and be winning against us more. To this I say that yes, if you are good enough, you will be able to beat strong players who use better characters. But how good would you have to be to do so? I think that for a DeeJay player to beat a solid Dhalsim player consistently, which is a very bad match up for DeeJay (probably 6.5 for Sim), that that DeeJay player would have to be playing orders of magnitude better than the Sim player. Just like for a Sim player going against a solid Yun/Rufus/Viper player, that Sim must be playing *levels* above the other player in order to overcome the inequalities of the match up and win consistently. The only time character selection is completely irrelevant is in a mirror match.

So if threi and I are in a similar skill range, and I have a built in 6.5-3.5 advantage from the start due to our characters strengths and weaknesses, then does it not stand to reason that unless threi somehow pushes far above my skill level he will probably not beat me consistently? Threi sees this argument as patronizing and trolling. I do respect him for not pointing to DeeJay and saying "that's why I lose", because that is some lame cop-out shit, but to ignore the glaring imbalance of strengths of different characters and expecting to win consistently in matches where your character is clearly weaker is equally lame.

Bottom line: Acknowledging character strengths and weaknesses as a factor in the outcome of a match is not necessarily using them as excuses for wins or losses. I think you go way too far in the opposite direction, as if you are so disgusted by players who make excuses about using a low tier character that you won't even acknowledge that character weaknesses exist at all, lest you be compared to one of those cop out using scrubs. I can understand where you're coming from, but I think it leads to unrealistic expectations and overly harsh self-criticism.

I told you I was done talking to you about this threi, but I wanted to sum up my view one last time. Now I am done for real. :D

gjE8X.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
OT4. :bow: GAF fighting game community.
This is the only thread I check regularly in the community section. SF <3.

Arozay

New OT, Awww Yeeeaaah.

Still waiting for PC AE go on special so I can get bodied on a new platform.

USD

Edgeward said:
Paging, USD. Another Kara Police in slightly different poses.

P0SH6.jpg
So good.

I still wish there was more, three photos will never be enough.
vulva said:
also for USD :33333333

http://www.formspring.me/karaleung/...ce=twitter&utm_campaign=shareanswer&_sg=&_sk=

How was your first kiss?

Kara Leung karaleung

It was interesting, was with another girl. I really didn't know what I was doing and was worried I was doing it all wrong. I liked it, but at the same time back of my mind I kept on thinking, "OMG, what if I'm horrible! OMG, what do I do?"
I'm on top of my game, already read it.

MIMIC

Banned
Does this game auto-correct DASHES, too? @_@ Was watching this video and as Oni jumps to land a cross up, Rose hits right (5 times) but dashes to the left.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MIMIC said:
Does this game auto-correct DASHES, too? @_@ Was watching this video and as Oni jumps to land a cross up, Rose hits right (5 times) but dashes to the left.

Apparently.... don't you just love autocorrect? :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Why in the world would you want dashes to autocorrect??? How Auto Correct is a mixed bag, but how is doing it to dashes in any way sound game design? Is auto correct dash somehow exploitable in the way that autocorrect DP is? I cannot think of a situation where it would be a good thing.

Top Bottom