• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Gaming hits $91 billion in 2016 (Mobile $41B, Retail $26B, free2play $19B)

PC is a beast.

If you're a gamer and don't have (or are not saving for) a capable gaming PC I don't know what the fuck you're doing with your life anymore.

Is this for real? You can play half or more of the PC exclusive games on steam on a $200 Dell laptop. Anything else you can play on a console. Very few experiences require a "capable gaming PC".

That's cool, glad you have what you need. But it's important to note your reality doesn't necessarily reflect others, as a rule it seems it's moving the other way. ]Growth in PC, and Mobile is climbing as console is shrinking. Obviously console isn't going anywhere for a long while yet, but I really hope to see it's "dominance" shrink if I'm being honest as I think it will bring about through necessity more open platforms from these companies as they begin to become more platform agnostic to draw in revenue from PC and Mobile (mobile processing power will evolve very quickly) which will mean more people can play great games from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Granted Microsoft has already sort of started down the path. Albeit shittily.

The link you posted show that the growth of PC is declining from 16 to 4% in China the largest market.

Yea, I won't argue that it's an extremely silly way of reporting numbers and serves to only confuse general consumers. That's why I'm trying to show some information about why digital is so important and why they seem to be evaluating it. Hopefully with some other links, like the other link I posted above helps to clarify a few things. We can certainly find a better report than this, or at least a predictor/analyst report on expected outcomes to show a more reasonable picture.

That's cool, glad you have what you need. But it's important to note your reality doesn't necessarily reflect others, as a rule it seems it's moving the other way. Growth in PC, and Mobile is climbing as console is shrinking. Obviously console isn't going anywhere for a long while yet, but I really hope to see it's "dominance" shrink if I'm being honest as I think it will bring about through necessity more open platforms from these companies as they begin to become more platform agnostic to draw in revenue from PC and Mobile (mobile processing power will evolve very quickly) which will mean more people can play great games from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Granted Microsoft has already sort of started down the path. Albeit shittily.

Alexandros? Or is it Kinthalis?

Those great games that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo make exclusively exist out of a need to differentiate themselves from their competitors, so that you'll buy their hardware over the other's. Otherwise known as this weird thing called "competition". These boxes represent a huge revenue stream not only in terms of the hardware, but also in terms of the walled-off garden ecosystem they draw their customers into. If that disappears, they'll have to recoup that money in another way if you want them to keep making these types of games. Otherwise, one of the possible things that might end up happening is that the individual projects will have to start focusing more on making a profit, which means less risk-taking, which means less games like Dreams and such.

Thank god that console-like devices will always exist though. People will always need a "cheap, small-form factor, easy to handle device" to sell to the mainstream. Whether that be an actual discrete console or a Sony branded smartphone in 2030 or whatever.

The link you posted show that the growth of PC is declining from 16 to 4% in China the largest market.

Not declining, has slowing growth. As a whole pie though mobile is eating up more and more. I'm really happy we're hitting the pont on mobile that there's so much shit, so much noise constantly that in order to compete and get ahead great games are finally getting made that stand apart from the samey clash of clans type and clone games.

Alexandros? Or is it Kinthalis?

Those great games that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo make exclusively exist out of a need to differentiate themselves from their competitors, so that you'll buy their hardware over the other's. Otherwise known as this weird thing called "competition". These boxes represent a huge revenue stream not only in terms of the hardware, but also in terms of the walled-off garden ecosystem they draw their customers into. If that disappears, they'll have to recoup that money in another way if you want them to keep making these types of games. Otherwise, one of the possible things that might end up happening is that the individual projects will have to start focusing more on making a profit, which means less risk-taking, which means less games like Dreams and such.

Thank god that console-like devices will always exist though. People will always need a "cheap, small-form factor, easy to handle device" to sell to the mainstream. Whether that be an actual discrete console or a Sony branded smartphone in 2030 or whatever.

Maybe, I suppose I've always hoped that it would mean they would focus more on game production. I think Nintendo could sell games across multiple platforms and make even greater profits than ever before. The amount of people who don't want to buy Nintendo Hardware but want to play Nintendo games for instance is pretty staggering.

Not declining, has slowing growth. As a whole pie though mobile is eating up more and more. I'm really happy we're hitting the pont on mobile that there's so much shit, so much noise constantly that in order to compete and get ahead great games are finally getting made that stand apart from the samey clash of clans type and clone games.

What??? A decline in growth is the definition of slowed growth.
And what games on mobile are great according to you? Serious question.

Hope Superdata releases this year's edition of this pic

I saw this image the other day from Superdata, but it's only for Free to Play and the top 5. I hope someone has a more complete version.
lolrev2017.JPG

I saw this image the other day from Superdata, but it's only for Free to Play and the top 5. I hope someone has a more complete version.
Neat. LoL continues to be a monster. I saw a picture with the pay to play games, and Overwatch had like 500 million, although I can't remember if it was PC only.

Sorry I haven't slept in like two days lol. I completely misread what you were saying. Duh yea they mean the same thing. I was thinking you meant loss instead of negative growth. As in decline.

I thought Warhammer 40k Deathwatch was pretty damn good. Sadly I never got to finish it as I don't have an IoS device personally anymore.

There's tons of great puzzle games as well. The big drawback of mobile for now is controls and lack of power. It's starting to shift though as competition heats up. Mobile will replace things like the 3DS for casual, strategy etc games in time. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like XCOM 2 on mobile in a few years time.

Sorry I haven't slept on like two days lol. i completely misread what you were saying. Duh yea they mean the same thing. I was thinking you meant loss instead of negative growth. As in decline.

I thought Warhammer 40k Deathwatch was pretty damn good. Sadly I never got to finish it as I don't have an IoS device personally anymore.

There's tons of great puzzle games as well. The big drawback of mobile for now is controls and lack of power. It's starting to shift though as competition heats up. Mobile will replace things like the 3DS for casual, strategy etc games in time. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like XCOM 2 on mobile in a few years time.

Well I think you can forget about controlls because every attempt at a "gaming" phone have failed misserably and I dont see how anything would change that. Because of this mobile will never be a good gaming plattform in my mind. They fit only certain games outside of the regular bejewled, clash etc. only (slow or strategic) and the likes of what I consider great games will never work (plattformers, souls, racing) no matter how much power they get.

I love playing heartstone on the go and there are other games that makes excellent use of the touch controlls but a gaming device for anything but mobile friendly and casual gaming it will never be and the likes of Clash and bejewled and all the clones will rule supreme I belive.

Well I think you can forget about controlls because every attempt at a "gaming" phone have failed misserably and I dont see how anything would change that. Because of this mobile will never be a good gaming plattform in my mind. They fit only certain games outside of the regular bejewled, clash etc. only (slow or strategic) and the likes of what I consider great games will never work (plattformers, souls, racing) no matter how much power they get.

I love playing heartstone on the go and there are other games that makes excellent use of the touch controlls but a gaming device for anything but mobile friendly and casual gaming it will never be and the likes of Clash and bejewled and all the clones will rule supreme I belive.

Think of switch docking functionality on mobile devices. Having something that connects your phone, which can play decently well games on a big screen that are like say Fire Emblem I think would sell. We will see.

PC is not killing in anything except digital sales you and the other one got fooled by a stupid way to present data.

And digital sales are the lucrative end game everyone is searching for. Don't fool yourself. It is the most important thing outside software as a service. Consoles want nothing more than to be fully digital believe that. Not only does retail and distribution cut into their profits, but used sales affect their bottom line too.

Norse

After reading the article and that photo, I don't think hardware is included in any of those numbers. Purely digital d/l even for VR. Mobile numbers don't suprise at all. People buy shit tons of 2.99 games and f2p perks all the time on cellphones. Console digital doesn't include Ms&sony subscription money as it shouldn't. VR digital money came mostly from PC and cellphone users is my guess as those VR sets that use your cellphone are dirt cheap.

AAA console gaming is whale hunting by focussing with laser like precision on one highly specific demographic with extremely rarefied and highly specific tastes.
They're just better at it, because they can charge between $60-$200 upfront before you even get to play the game and get hit with the MTX store.
That's a great point, I never looked at it that way before

After reading the article and that photo, I don't think hardware is included in any of those numbers. Purely digital d/l even for VR. Mobile numbers don't suprise at all. People buy shit tons of 2.99 games and f2p perks all the time on cellphones. Console digital doesn't include Ms&sony subscription money as it shouldn't. VR digital money came mostly from PC and cellphone users is my guess as those VR sets that use your cellphone are dirt cheap.

the VR number does include Headset (Hardware) revenue. otherwise it would maybe not even break 100m
superdata_vtfusiq.png

edit:
i think people here on gaf are most interested in this:
superdata_console5muqp.png

superdata_pcfsuyh.png

And digital sales are the lucrative end game everyone is searching for. Don't fool yourself. It is the most important thing outside software as a service. Consoles want nothing more than to be fully digital believe that. Not only does retail and distribution cut into their profits, but used sales affect their bottom line too.

Seriously you should really get some sleep I belive. I am NOT questioning the importance of digital sales and how much more lucrative it is for the gaming industry compared to retail and never have been. However that has nothing to do with what I was quoting I belive but a few persons tricked by the stupid way the data was presented making people belive PC gaming is several times bigger than console gaming.

viHuGi

Banned
Sony's entire year revenue expectation is $15.35 billion from their financial report. With a $1.3 billion operational income.

You are not counting 3rd party sales wich is the vast majority of games sold on PSN, Retail etc. The revenue is not just for Sony lol

PC is a beast.

If you're a gamer and don't have (or are not saving for) a capable gaming PC I don't know what the fuck you're doing with your life anymore.

Seeing that many of the best games are still console exclusives I would say if you only game on PC you are the one missing out.

LordRaptor

WTF is "premium PC games" (or rather what is it not) .. Never heard the term before..

Looking at the list provided, I would have assumed it is full price titles that also have micro-transactions, and that table shows additional post-sale revenue.
But then Fallout 4 is on there in 5th so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dayum, Overwatch on PC alone is almost the same as this year's Call of Duty consoles' revenue. And I'm sure it cost way, waaay less than CoD.

yes, but keep in mind those figures are digital only
and CoD BOIII is also huge at retail for console
Overwatch is next to non existent at retail for PC

The reason why Overwatch is big? It's huge in China and South Korea. The biggest and third biggest PC gaming market in the world
Overwatch is popular pretty much everywhere don't get me wrong. But those 2 markets are very important

the VR number does include Headset (Hardware) revenue. otherwise it would maybe not even break 100m
superdata_vtfusiq.png

edit:
i think people here on gaf are most interested in this:
superdata_console5muqp.png

superdata_pcfsuyh.png

So if you remove all the f2p and subscriber MMO's from steam and the other PC stores console have more revenue when it comes to digital downloads. When you add that PC is more or less 100% digital and console is not even close to that.

Also funny how PC biggest market spend almost the least money on those games.

Damn, Blizzard and Valve pretty much own the PC FPS multiplayer market. Maybe that's why populations are low in some other shooters.

Its all over the internet that ps4 is doing reasonably well in china as for rest of asia its well known its picking up the slack from japan
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1112906
Lol. 500,000 split between both PS4 and Xbox one is a "foothold"?

https://zhugeex.com/2015/11/ps4-xb1-install-base-in-china-reaches-500000/

So if you remove all the f2p and subscriber MMO's from steam and the other PC stores console have more revenue when it comes to digital downloads. When you add that PC is more or less 100% digital and console is not even close to that.

Also funny how PC biggest market spend almost the least money on those games.
"If you just remove all the biggest money makers, turns out PC doesn't have that many big money makers. Eat it PC."

I love seeing these arguments in threads. They're always hilarious.

Device 6, Imbroglio, Sorcery series, 80 Days, Demon's Rise 2, Wayward Souls, Dark Echo, Ember, Hoplite, RYB, Hitman/Lara Croft GO, The Room series, Warbits, Verreciel, 9th Dawn 2, 7 Mages, Love You To Bits, Crashlands, Burly Men At Sea, Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be, Downwell, The Guides, Horizon Chase, Warhammer 40k: Deathwatch...

I could go on

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jebus...that console number vs. mobile number is depressing as hell.

But what's truly shocking is even PC gaming is obliterating console gaming.

Norse

Almost everyone over 12 in the US has a cellphone. And more homes have PCs than consoles. Numbers aren't suprising to me in the least.

Between the rise of mobile gaming, the free to play model and games as a service, it's hard not to feel like a dinosaur if you like traditional single player games on traditional platforms :(

Prompto

Banned

Console number is only counting digital downloads it looks like. Retail is probably mostly console sales.

because it does not get mentioned here enough:
console is digital pay2play games only.
so no ps+ or xbox live gold and no free2play console revenue (is not that big, but still a bit of the pie)
also no physical game sales and no hardware + accessories

here is an overall revenue breakdown estimate from newzoo
newzoo_gaming_breakdogzsbz.png

Trago

the % marketshare of the total gaming market, yes
the total $ console market by itself, no
the console market is having the slowest growth of all three

Why do you think that is though?

My guess is that the console demographic isn't widening.

Top Bottom