• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superior Devil May Cry 4 Official Thread (new VIDEO 4/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrarca

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Yup -- they changed the devil arm.

Here is a video from the game at TGS 2006

dmc4f.gif

The effect was yellowish/orange.

THey either changed it, or the arm as a level system that changes the color and look of hte arm attacks.

ugh I like the arm effects before the the change, the ice effects on the floor, the fire, etc,

Did they downgrade the effects?

Zenith

Banned
C- Warrior said:
The other rumor is Vergil's son. Or Nero being posessed by Vergil.

I refuse to believe the white hair bit is just coincidental. Unless in "DMC" world all demons have white hair in human form.

The devs did specifically say that Nero's similarities to Dante/Vergil a la the white hair, long coat, etc was just so players of previous games wouldn't feel alienated playing a new character and that it had nothing to do with the story.

Zenith

Banned
GR's interview is up.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/ga...articleId=20070423171113403002&sectionId=1003

seems Nero doesn't have a devil form, just the arm.

GR: The Devil May Cry series meant a lot to the PS2; it helped to define the PS2, in fact. What do you think Devil May Cry 4 will mean to PS3?

HK: DMC4 will be at the top of the charts for a long time - at least two years, we expect. There won't be a game in two years to come along and be better than this game. So we think it will be a defining game for the platform.

Because of the new hardware, obviously, we'll have more abilities - there's a lot more we can do with the hardware. For example, the devil arm is just one more aspect we can expand on.

GR: That's actually kind of leads into a good question - what is it, besides the obvious graphical increase in quality - that the PS3 allows you to do with Devil May Cry that you couldn't do before, technically or gameplay-wise?

HK: Of course, we had to keep the still graphics looking beautiful. But it's also supposed to look beautiful at a full 60 frames per second, and you can do all these actions and not have it blur or anything like that. Of course, that takes full advantage of the hardware.

GR: Essentially, though, it's a pretty version of Devil May Cry, that's true to the series roots. Is there anything about the PS3's hardware that's allowing for new developments in the gameplay style?

HK: Just because of the memory capacity, you can have the guns, you can have the swordplay - things that just weren't possible because of the hardware of the PS2. Just being able to do those things simultaneously is one way to take advantage of the new hardware.

GR: And speaking of using the PS3, is it exciting to use the new platform? Is it inspirational?

HK: Of course, we were happy to work on the PS2 because the PS2 is a good machine. But because we're using a cutting-edge, next-generation machine with a lot of graphic capabilities, it's very exciting.

GR: Can you talk about the strengths of the PS3 as a platform for game development?

HK: There's a lot to be learned, still, about the machine itself. We're learning as we develop. I think that there are possibilities still in the machine that haven't been explored yet.

Personally I like the look of the PS3 over the Xbox 360 - the external look and the sleekness of it - but that's just my personal preference. I'm really concentrated on using the internal hard drive to its fullest; that wasn't something that you just had on the PS2.

heh, looks they did this before they were told about the 360 version.

Tonza

GR: You're bringing in a new main character, Nero. He's not completely dissimilar to Dante, but he's not completely the same. Could you talk about Nero, and why he came into the game?

HI: There's a lot of reasons we've made them similar, or dissimilar in certain places. The reasons for that remain to be seen, because there's a story behind it.

GR: One thing that hasn't been revealed yet - well, obviously Nero's arm has demonic qualities, and in earlier games, Dante could change completely into a demon. Could you talk a bit about how that might come into this game?

HK: At this point, Nero doesn't even know that he's got that demon element in him. He just thinks that there's something funny going on with his arm. He's embarrassed about his arm, so he keeps it hidden most of the time - except for when he's fighting demons, when he uses the power that it has. He will learn more about his arm, but that's to be seen.

The actions you saw in the demo [we showed you] yesterday are just a couple of things he'll be able to do with his arm. Of course, those abilities will increase as the game progresses. And to answer your question about whether Nero will become a demon or not, that's to be seen, but look forward to it.

My bet is on Nero being in some way related to Sparda. (and thus Dante and Vergil)

KTallguy

Banned
After reading that interview, I was slightly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I love DMC4, but the "eh, we're not changing anything" vibe kind of sucks.

Introducing a brand new character allows you to really change things up more... I think the new arm attacks are really interesting, but other then the QTE events, it's difficult to imagine it changing the core gameplay that much.

GR: The Devil May Cry series meant a lot to the PS2; it helped to define the PS2, in fact. What do you think Devil May Cry 4 will mean to PS3?

HK: DMC4 will be at the top of the charts for a long time - at least two years, we expect. There won't be a game in two years to come along and be better than this game. So we think it will be a defining game for the platform.

Woah I love the DMC as much as anyone but come on now. Isn't that kind of talk reserved for Team Ninja.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
they shouldnt change it too much, because the "old" gameplay is just awesome as it is to be honest, DMC is all about kicking ass with over the top moves :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oh my. That new video is so badass. Tossing around the giant fire boss like a toy with the devil arm :eek:

Considering Kobayashi has been involved with some of the most genre defining games (DMC1, RE1, and RE4) -- he has every right to say DMC4 will not only be great, but be 'the great' for the next two years (which of course is when DMC5 will be announced :) )

Ceb

MiamiWesker said:
Woah I love the DMC as much as anyone but come on now. Isn't that kind of talk reserved for Team Ninja.

:lol Yeah, no kidding. I'm looking forward to DMC4, but come on...

Woah shit, I just noticed what he said -- he said "best game" -- not just "best action game" -- god damn Kobayashi, Itagaki am cry.

Anyway, DMC is the best, glad to know they've create a game where they have the confidence to say such.

C- Warrior said:
Considering Kobayashi has been involved with some of the most genre defining games (DMC1, RE1, and RE4) -- he has every right to say DMC4 will not only be great, but be 'the great' for the next two years (which of course is when DMC5 will be announced :) )

Oh its Kobayashi, didn't notice that. Talk on brother! :D

Danielsan

Just watched the vid on youtube. It's looking great so far, the Berial bossfight looks to be epic. I also like how they sort of replicated the frost introduction scene from the first DMC1.
The game's atmosphere looks a lot more like DMC1 anyway (which is a great thing).
DMC4 may not turn out to be the shiniest nextgen game but unlike most nextgen games it will run like a train and it won't be a victim of bad art (bald space marines).
Day 1 purchase confirmed for me.

Aggelos

C- Warrior said:

Maybe Mr. Kobayashi hasn't heard the proverb "the best might become the worst".
Surely he was involved with monumental game projects and moreover his experience is innumerable, but he should be more careful with his statements.
On the one hand people prefigure good sales for DMC4, but on the other hand I repine against this cocky-arrogant behaviour from Mr. Kobayashi.
Mr. Kobayashi has become boastful like Mr. Itagaki.....
What can I say. Being modest a little bit doesn't harm....

ferricide

acutally, gamesradar has the current english exclusive on this content for the web. i didn't have the time to check the discussion of this new content extensively but here's what we have so far:

new video:
http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/ga...7042313458317069&releaseId=200609151285614010

interviews with director hideaki itsuno and producer hiroyuki kobayashi:
http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/ga...articleId=20070423171113403002&sectionId=1003

we of course have all the screens but it looks like you've seen (some of?) those already. we've posted around thirty so far:
http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/images/index.jsp?releaseId=200609151285614010&page=1

there's more coming as the week progresses -- tomorrow stuff about nero's controls, video interviews, more screens (we'll have around 60 new screens by the end of this), more video, and of course a hands-on.

keep checking this link every day to see the new content as it filters in:
http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/ga...0423132441271092&releaseId=200609151285614010

er, checking the thread, seems you already noticed some/all of this stuff. thanks guys. anyway, not trying to spam obviously, just been too busy today for GAF. =)

Zenith said:
seems Nero doesn't have a devil form, just the arm.
meh, i dunno really, but what they said... i wouldn't be so sure. they were super tight-lipped about that kind of stuff, but i wouldn't jump to conclusions.

Zenith said:
heh, looks they did this before they were told about the 360 version.
well, it wasn't on show. the visit to capcom actually occurred in february. we were aware that the 360 version was a possibility at that time, but it was not confirmed, so we weren't able to ask about it (it didn't officially exist.) thus it doesn't enter (directly) into the coverage, or the questions that were asked at that time. the demo was running on PS3 TEST units.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
they need to release a demo on PSN for real, THURSDAY SURPRISE, come on capcom, you want to market this game to people then let them play it to see how awesome it really is :D or atleast release a 720P vid so we can really see the graphical details of the game in hd glory.

pr0cs

It's really pretty, looks a lot like Lost Planet, no surprise I guess.

Sadly it doesn't look like my type of game.

Mmmkay

Linkzg said:
yeah, a user uploaded the video, kind of like how its done in youtube.

Gamevideos staff didnt
D'oh. I knew they did that but I didn't think all videos had to be uploaded by staff. I saw doublespy as the user who put up the video, and since that's a staff account, went with that.

PhatSaqs said:
I think the fact that we know the enemies will have half decent AI says enough...

Half-decent A.I -- this guy actually thinks NG (or any 3rd person action game) has good A.I:lol

It's all reactive bullshit dude, not like superb Halo like AI is needed in a 3rd person action game anyway.

antiloop

neojubei said:
Quick question,

The recent video, from what i heard it was from the PS3 build, but 1up (of course) and their sister site, gamevideoss.com seem to think the build is from the xbox 360 version.

Which is correct?

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/11000

From my understanding it's from the playble PS3 trial that has been out in Japan for a couple of months already.

Edit: They need to get rid of that awful "Slam dunk!" voice. :p

NVM seems lite it was a new PS3 demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom