• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superior Devil May Cry 4 Official Thread (new VIDEO 4/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangu

Banned
C- Warrior said:
It troubles me that Capcom JPN thinks 'all' Western gamers thought DMC3 was too hard. First off, I've never seen anything in my life that's more overhyped than DMC3's difficulty. It was -not- the second coming of Shinobi for ****s sake. It was hard, not everyone could beat it, but there were MUCH harder games. The original DMC gave me a lot harder of a time than DMC3 ever did, on any version.

The shitty camera makes DMC3 harder than it should be. I find DMC3 way harder than the original (which felt like a cakewalk for the most part) mainly because the horrible camera made Agni and Rudra incredibly frustrating.

That said, the controls feel more responsive and you have more evasive/defensive options to deal with enemies' attacks so the game never felt cheap.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Brobzoid said:
I'm not gonna bother digging for shit, but I am confident the NTSC-US review copy was different from the NTSC-US retail copy, in that it was harder/more difficult. And I'm not confusing it with the SE.
This guy is telling the truth. I heard various stories pertaining to this.

The difficulty in DMC1 and DMC3 was weird for me. DMC1 was harder than DMC3 was in my experience. Though when I went back and played DMC1 after playing DMC3 for so long, DMC1 became a CAKE WALK! I actually at one point quit my game to see if I had accidentally put it on easy auto. I couldn't believe it was this easy.

Brobzoid said:
I'm not gonna bother digging for shit, but I am confident the NTSC-US review copy was different from the NTSC-US retail copy, in that it was harder/more difficult. And I'm not confusing it with the SE.

No, he is right. The review build for DMC3 was harder than the retail copy. I remember Ivan (an ex-PS2.ign journo) mentioning that in the review copy, the first mini-boss "The hellvanguard" was tough as shit and didn't even have a health bar." While in the retail copy, he did have one and he personally remebered whipping it's ass the first time through.

And this make sense, yes -- people had trouble with Cerberus, or Agnia and Rudra, but nobody spent DAYS trying to beat the first mini-boss (grim reaper lookin') Hell Vanguard. While some reviewers were syaing they spent days on it even on easy mode. Bull shit.

ferricide

thanks for linking the interviews. glad people are liking them. hands-on goes up tomorrow; i'll link it when it goes live if nobody beats me to it. =)

i'm not at work tomorrow (i'm at the coachella music festival in a hotel room right now) so i may not be around if there are any comments/questions on the hands on, FYI.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I like this picture.

69846425020070427110829.jpg

karasu

I didn't have a single problem with DMC3's camera. The enemies become impossible when they Devil Trigger though.

I'm trying to remember if the Shadows were confirmed to be back in the game, I think I remember that being said a while ago.

I still remember when I went out and bought RE:Code Veronica X just because the included DMC demo and spending so much time playing it, the Shadow mini-boss in the courtyard with the fountain was the first time I said "wow, PS2 is going to be pretty awesome." I raved about it to everyone and all my friends that borrowed it were hooked immediately.

slade

The one thing I hope Capcom does for DMC4 is either borrow God of War or Ninja Gaiden's roll/evade controls. Evading in both of those games is much easier then it is in DMC1 or DMC3 albeit in DMC3, if you have trickster, problem solved. The whole, hold R1, press jump button plus left analogue stick to roll is one command input too many.

Otherwise, game looks awesome.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
slade said:
The one thing I hope Capcom does for DMC4 is either borrow God of War or Ninja Gaiden's roll/evade controls. Evading in both of those games is much easier then it is in DMC1 or DMC3 albeit in DMC3, if you have trickster, problem solved. The whole, hold R1, press jump button plus left analogue stick to roll is one command input too many.

Otherwise, game looks awesome.

no they should not, cliking R3 changes lock-on targets, they really should keep it like that IMO.

slade

You can still keep that. Just make the focus of the Right analogue stick more then just camera control. And it's not like you had complete control of the camera in any of the DMC games anyway.

Kangu

Banned
karasu said:
I didn't have a single problem with DMC3's camera. The enemies become impossible when they Devil Trigger though.

The camera's fine, but it was not made for fighting 2 bosses at once. I hope the DMC team takes a cue from GoW and go with borader fixed camera angles when the situation calls for it (like when you're fighting 2 tough as nails bosses that can knock off a quarter of your health bar in one hit, at the same time!).

Kangu said:
The camera's fine, but it was not made for fighting 2 bosses at once. I hope the DMC team takes a cue from GoW and go with borader fixed camera angles when the situation calls for it (like when you're fighting 2 tough as nails bosses that can knock off a quarter of your health bar in one hit, at the same time!).

Ugh, **** no.

I hated God of War's camera system. It's so far and distant, it's like spec who weilds crazy flashy things killing other smaller specs.

How about not included two fights at once? Problem solved.

Kangu

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
Girl let me sex you.

SEX.

C-Warrior: I find the GoW camera too distant for my tastes as well, makes the combat seem less visceral, but I think it would help if it was used in certain, very specific situatons in DMC.

Core407

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Ugh, **** no.

I hated God of War's camera system. It's so far and distant, it's like spec who weilds crazy flashy things killing other smaller specs.

How about not included two fights at once? Problem solved.

QFT

naranjito said:
this game is looking great, but since im too much of a woman to get through such a game, ill probably just play the demo :(.
I have a feeling the difficulty will be way down compared to 3 unfortunately.

. But right now, what we played was beautifully speedy and responsive. It was tough - but the kind of challenge you want to return to. We're ready to come back.

Ye-yeah, that's right Capcom. DMC3 level of difficulty, no less. If that's too hard for some people, f-u-c-k them.

C- Warrior said:
It troubles me that Capcom JPN thinks 'all' Western gamers thought DMC3 was too hard. First off, I've never seen anything in my life that's more overhyped than DMC3's difficulty. It was -not- the second coming of Shinobi for ****s sake. It was hard, not everyone could beat it, but there were MUCH harder games. The original DMC gave me a lot harder of a time than DMC3 ever did, on any version.

I agree that DMC1 gave me more trouble tha DMC3. DMC3 was not a very hard game at all.

Linkzg said:
I agree that DMC1 gave me more trouble tha DMC3. DMC3 was not a very hard game at all.
DMC 1 was easier than DMC 3 (non-bitch edition) The big reason for that being that the enemies at the beginning of DMC 3 hit harder than those in DMC 1 and are a bit more aggressive.

Not to mention the fact that the beginning of DMC was like a nice comfortable train ride where you pull into the station and disembark pretty relaxed and have plenty of time to get familiar with the controls and such before running into the first enemy. Whereas DMC3 was like getting drop kicked out of a moving train straight into a mob of enemies then immediately running across a sub-boss.

DMC 3 was not an impossible game to finish but the people saying it was not hard "at all" are ****ing full of it.

ferricide

Crow-kun said:
The Devil Bringer looks really cheap. I'd made fighting those frost look too easy.
the funny thing is that capcom took that video. i used the cheap "swing 'em around your head" move much less and had, probably, more fun. =)

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
hopefully enemies will have counters for those devil bringer moves. I hope frosts are hard on at least some difficulty. :\ they were so much fun because they were hard...

Danielsan

Looks absolutely stunning.
I'm also very very glad that they changed the style ratings to "Deadly ,Carnage, Brutal, Atomic, Smokin".

Silicon Knight said:
I LOOOVE the music playing at the main site, it's truly epic. The video looks freaking amazing btw, the ice level looks absolutely stellar.
Man I hope they bring back some type of remixed version of Statue of Time. So so beautiful.

jett

D-Member
Danielsan said:
Looks absolutely stunning.
I'm also very very glad that they changed the style ratings to "Deadly ,Carnage, Brutal, Atomic, Smokin".

What...you didn't like BIG UP and ALL THAT? What about SLAMMIN' BEAT?

:lol

Mmmkay

Game Watch have a DMC4 article up with all of the screenshots. The resolution and compression are slightly better than GamesRadar/GameReactor's. I guess that exclusivity window is over, hopefully someone who cares about compression will have some images up soon:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070501/dmc4.htm
dmc406.jpg

Seems there were some screenshots that weren't supersamples too (athough, this may be a mistake by Game Watch):
dmc445.jpg

dmc444.jpg

There's some cool CG/art too
dmc464.jpg

dmc463.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom