• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superior Devil May Cry 4 Official Thread (new VIDEO 4/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mabuza said:
how can you even compare mgs popularity with dmc4.

Dunno...Just grouping both as games that are widely known but never sell as much as the

heavy hitters. Dunno how each sold, but i do remember MGS3 sold below par for an MGS

title, so i'm assuming it's popularity has waned from the pre-MGS2 days.

DMC4 doesn't have to worry about MGS.

DMC1 and DMC3 released when MGS2 and MGS3 were released and the games have sold well over a million easily and there were no problems before. Strangley enough, DMC3 was able to sell as much as DMC2, while MGS3 sold much less than MGS2.

Which is interesting.

In actuality, MGS4 isn't going to overshadow DMC4 -- considering GTAIV, Halo 3, and Mario Galaxy will eclipse them all.

Dahbomb

For those who don't want to watch the entire 1up Show for the DMC4 segment:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/11241

Oh and even though DMC is not as big as MGS, we shouldn't have to worry about them competing with each other. DMC is coming much earlier than MGS, generally the two games have existed side by side extremely well.

twofold

dralla said:
I fear the game will be too easy. the interview on gamesradar and now the videos..if it's anything like DMC2 im cutting off testicles.

No doubt there will be a DMD/NMD mode which will be challenging to play.

I really hope the vids aren't indicative of the default difficulty level. However, if they are, I hope Capcom does the smart thing and allows selection of the Hard difficulty from the start. The game just wouldn't be fun without the challenge.

john2kx

i love how the DMC series has always shamelessly ripped off Berserk. At least they're taking from the best stuff out there..

C- Warrior said:
DMC4 doesn't have to worry about MGS.

DMC1 and DMC3 released when MGS2 and MGS3 were released and the games have sold well over a million easily and there were no problems before. Strangley enough, DMC3 was able to sell as much as DMC2, while MGS3 sold much less than MGS2.

Which is interesting.

In actuality, MGS4 isn't going to overshadow DMC4 -- considering GTAIV, Halo 3, and Mario Galaxy will eclipse them all.

Hmmm, I think MGS4 might be as big as all those games...if it is a big step forward in the series like Im expecting...certainly its always been in the quality bracket of those games...cant understand how it is less popular though...

peace

Dahbomb

john2kx said:
i love how the DMC series has always shamelessly ripped off Berserk. At least they're taking from the best stuff out there..
Um... no. :lol

If anything, DMC is shamlessly ripping off anime like Hellsing, Trigun, Inuyasha Cowboy Bebop and various other action anime along with some Hollywood action stereotypes as well as some JRPGs. The only thing that DMC has "ripped" off from Berserk is that one artwork of Dante's pose with his Rebellion, it had Gattsu written all over it. Other than that, I don't see much of Berserk in DMC aside from the demon stuff but even that is polar opposite stuff.

dante_illust01.jpg
180px-Gatts02.jpg

Hell... I WISHED DMC copied more from Berserk...

AAK

Dahbomb said:
Hell... I WISHED DMC copied more from Berserk...

Oh God no, I would prefer for Trish, Lady, and the other female characters to not get raped and I want my DMC games to have a proper ending.

Please don't take this post seriously, I really disliked Berserk and I just needed to get it out of my system

Zenith

Banned
half-demon in red outfit with white hair and never-ending fight to death with brother who disdains humans. it's definitely an Inuyasha rip, if anything.

Chupakun

Demon father falling in love with human female? Check.

White-haired Half-demon dressing in red with spunky attitude and huge-ass sword? Check.

Able to call upon the blood of a demon and transform? Check.

Stoic, soft-spoken brother dressed in blue; obsessed with lineage and honour, uses a katana instead of a long/broadsword and is almost more popular than the protagonist? Woah. Check, though.

Woah, again. InuYasha and DMC have waaay too much in common. :D

Dahbomb

DMC and Hellsing:

*Main protagonists wear long red trenchcoats, are inhuman and carry two huge handguns (Black and White). Both are able to transform. Both are cocky and generally bad ass.

*Has a rival that wears blue and fights using close range swords/bayonets.

DMC and Trigun:

*Main protagonists wear long red trenchcoats, are cheesy and over the top. They both carry a form of hand gun.

*Two twins, one good and one evil. Both inhuman.

DMC and MGS:

*Two twins arising from a legendary father figure. One good, one evil.

*Deformed arm that is more than meets the eye...

etc. etc. etc.

TreIII

Chupakun said:
Woah, again. InuYasha and DMC have waaay too much in common. :D

When one considers how a number of Capcom franchises (including DMC) draw inspiration from a variety of sources, it's plain to see that it "runs in the family", as it were.

Mega Man/Rockman

* Draws sources from the likes Japanese (Super Robot) Cartoons, Tokusatsu (live-action) shows like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai (Power Rangers), and even shows like Speed Racer (Blues/Protoman being pretty much a composite of Racer X); newer series like EXE/Ryuusei heavily borrow attributes from Digimon

Street Fighter

* Not only are a few choice character designs drawn from the likes of classic manga series like Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but techniques and other conventions, as well. Kenshiro and his Tenha Kassatsu (which I believe even beat out Son Goku and the Kamehameha) was the ki-projectile that more or less laid the foundation for so many to follow, to say the least, Ryu and his Hadouken.

It's probably also worth noting that Capcom hired the artist behind HnK to do the art for Saturday Night SlamMasters too, but that's another story... :D

Viewtiful Joe

* See Mega Man entry, because a lot of what goes there is also applicable here, namely the whole "inspired from Tokusatsu"

God Hand

* Yet again, more HnK-inspired goodness was abound, the only difference being that Shinji Mikami opted more for sillyness and humor, as opposed to seriousness and lots of blood and chunks flying about. Still, many fans were able to get the gist of where GH draws its basis from right away...

Sengoku BASARA/Devil Kings

* Alright, if you couldn't figure out that this was even more of a blatant copy off of Omega Force's "Musou" gameplay than even Chaos Legion was, some thing is seriously wrong with you... :lol

And that's just a few examples, using some of my other fave Capcom series. On one hand, you could probably say there are a lot of instances of shameless copying on Capcom's part...but on the other hand, as the old saying goes "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...

Bottomline though? Capcom's thing of taking some aspects of other media is NOT new in the least. So, DMC turning out to also be a montage of various other things should be no real surprise to those who've been paying attention...

dralla

dont know if these are old or not, but some Dante gameplay. he's got a new sword glow thing. similar to Neros maybe?

4119620070511_140208_3_big.jpg

4119620070511_140208_4_big.jpg

4119620070511_140209_5_big.jpg

new boots lolz

4119620070511_140207_2_big.jpg

I really hope that they tune up Dante's HUD. The style selection wheel with the red gothic lettering looks really dumb to me; I would much, much rather have some kind of graphical representation of each style (sword, gun, shield, something kinda abstract for Trickster) with a different color for each style, which would be easier to check at a glance and also more visually appealing. Right now it's way fugly compared to Nero's HUD, and doesn't look terribly polished. I hope what we're seeing now for that is just a placeholder.

gbovo

dralla said:
dont know if these are old or not, but some Dante gameplay. he's got a new sword glow thing. similar to Neros maybe?

*pics*
No. The move is called "Driver" and it was in DMC3.

dralla

Driver? you mean the move where he shoot out a shock wave thing? i never used that piece of crap so it looks new to me :[]

Also: please please let Dante still have 5 devil arms, I'm getting worried that he's only got Rebellion and E&I and that all his variation will come from style switching now.

Interesting... we see two taunts from dante and each has it's own color (purple and red) mean while we see that dante's sword now has a black streak and charged it's red... which is interesting, because that red sword charge looks like driver, but the way it's used suggests otherwise?? Also, still no sign of DT or other weapons has me worried... I think perhaps the colors may be related to the various styles...

USD

Mefisutoferesu said:
Interesting... we see two taunts from dante and each has it's own color (purple and red) mean while we see that dante's sword now has a black streak and charged it's red... which is interesting, because that red sword charge looks like driver, but the way it's used suggests otherwise?? Also, still no sign of DT or other weapons has me worried... I think perhaps the colors may be related to the various styles...
Well you can hear him say "Gunslinger" with the purple flash and "Swordmaster" with the red.

Looks like they did make some changes to his moves, Round Trip is back, and Driver looks upgraded. I'm guessing they're just fancy poses Dante does when changing styles.

Defuser said:
since when he not carrying other weapons?For crying out loud,he is holding a shotgun in the video.
Yeah, but the shotgun isn't that big of a deal, the Devil Arms are. I'm hoping (and expecting) they're still there.

bootszv8.png

lol at the fake cowboy boots. Looks tacky.

USD

They said that Dante would play pretty much the same as he did in DMC3, so any video involving him will always be old news.

Zenith

Banned
I think perhaps the colors may be related to the various styles...

you mean like how he flashes purple when he says "Gunslinger" and his style changes to Gunslinger? but of a giveaway.

That video is annoying. He doesn't do anything new. Other than "real time style switching". Big ****ing deal.

Where have you been? That's what the devs have said he'd be like countless times.

AAK

Zenith said:
Where have you been? That's what the devs have said he'd be like countless times.

The developer also said that he would update the animations... but Oh well, I'm not bothered. I was expecting a copy-paste. Nero looks a lot more fun to play anyway, I'm sure Nero's devil arm gameplay will be revolutionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom