• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars |OT| (PSN)

SnowTeeth

Banned
WiCkEd_Co said:
I think the not grabbing the ball makes it more fun, It's soccer not football......err wait, it is football depending where you live in the world.

True dat. The ball physics and interaction makes this game what it is. I was thinking more along the lines of player choice of gamestyles - surely there's room for a different rules set?

The ability to grab a ball and keep it under control would have to be determined by player strength and ability (which I imagine would only be possible by upgrading attributes - something that is currently not available), otherwise everyone will be attempting to grab the ball. So only the strongest players would be able to grab it in a tight contest - when the ball goes flying and is uncontested then anyone would be able to grab and control it - until beefy mcbeef comes along. But anyway, that's not this game.

In the games current form, I totally agree - not grabbing the ball makes it fun.

WiCkEd_Co said:
I love this game.
Indeed. I've played it more than Dragon Age this weekend. And I love that game just as much... :)

Oh and this game cements my fetish of the future sports genre - no I'm not crazy.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Every game I played, albiet only two (I live in Oz and my bandwidth has run out for the month) have had full games. There were more than 5 games full when I looked at the server list last.

Glad you're enjoying it. And the pricedrop helped online counts, shouldn't have any trouble finding matches. We dipped a bit when some game called Modern Warfare 2 came out but it's back up around normal and is up considerably from where it was last month.

thcsquad

I've never been able to figure out ball handling in this game. I can go through the single-player stuff fine, but continuously get raped anytime I try to play online. Then once I was actually beating some guy, and towards the end of the match he ragequit because he didn't want to lose. That pissed me off so much I haven't picked up the game since.

Any tips on ball handling? I'm always mis-aligning the jumps to hit a ball in the air, and hitting the ball from the ground doesn't really work because somebody always hits it in the air before it gets to the ground.

thcsquad said:
I've never been able to figure out ball handling in this game. I can go through the single-player stuff fine, but continuously get raped anytime I try to play online. Then once I was actually beating some guy, and towards the end of the match he ragequit because he didn't want to lose. That pissed me off so much I haven't picked up the game since.

Any tips on ball handling? I'm always mis-aligning the jumps to hit a ball in the air, and hitting the ball from the ground doesn't really work because somebody always hits it in the air before it gets to the ground.

Well, if you want to be able to practice without worrying about losing all the time, try unranked. Also, make sure you play all the tutorials - tutorial 3 teaches you how to aerial :) The learning curve is massive, which is what makes finally mastering it so satisfying :D

Are you in EU or US?

minimoke

coolcole93 said:
Yup. It's criminially under-rated. I just hope SARPBC 2 is real :/

Yeah, the ball physics and car handling are pretty awesome! If they are making SARPBC 2 let's hope they don't use the Unreal engine.

thcsquad

coolcole93 said:
Well, if you want to be able to practice without worrying about losing all the time, try unranked. Also, make sure you play all the tutorials - tutorial 3 teaches you how to aerial :) The learning curve is massive, which is what makes finally mastering it so satisfying :D

Are you in EU or US?

I've done all of the tutorials, its just translating these skills to pvp is much harder. Maybe I'll try unranked.

I'm in the US.

WiCkEd_Co

I have played this game more than all my retail games I bought combined, I really wish this had a hours played stat. I can play for hours. I like to jam out and mellow and this game with custom soundtracks is perfect. It's just mindless fun while listening to music.

My brother has bought it and one of my friends got it and they are hook also, So when all 3 of us meet up online we play and time flies. Add the fact that they also come over and we can all play online with one system. I don't really used it but the saving replays and uploading to YouTube from in game is awesome too, That needs to be a standard thing for all online games.

ScHlAuChi

coolcole93 said:
Yup. It's criminially under-rated. I just hope SARPBC 2 is real :/

Very unlikley unfortunately, i talked to the studio head abit, and it wasnt really a success for them to warrant another one.

Corrupt said:
This breaks my heart :(

It destroys my heart and then mocks it :(

They're up to something - they rarely post on the forum anymore and according to their website they're hiring. I just hope it's something exciting.

I never knew this game was so popular outside the main SARPBC community :)

xyla said:
Good Stuff. I like the premise of the game, but sadly I´m more of a console local multiplayer. Is there a Splitscreen option or is the game available for pc?

4 player split screen against bots or online :) It's PS3 exclusive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
coolcole93 said:
Sorry for the double post.

50% off in NTSC territories for a couple of weeks.

Anyone considering buying this?
Beat me to it. Totally worth it.

From PS Store thread..........

Super Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars is half off (4.99) now!

One of the best PSN games folks.

Flunkie

Banned
DO IT!! Liquid, I see you playing all the time. I just got back into it the other day.. everyone go buy it - it's fantastic.

LiquidMetal14

Flunkie said:
DO IT!! Liquid, I see you playing all the time. I just got back into it the other day.. everyone go buy it - it's fantastic.
Some games are in order then. Message me on PSN to set something up. I play this daily.

HankToms

5 bucks? Awesome, +1 sale here. I was considering buying, but this seals my decision. Will be fun for game nights with my buds.

LiquidMetal14 said:
That's VERY WELL DONE. Showcases why this game is so cool. The moves you can do are skill based and do work.

Thanks. The goals in it are pretty amazing. It made my job as editor pretty easy :lol:

SapientWolf said:
I kind of wish I bought this during the $5 sale. I might still pick it up anyway.

Do people still play online?

Loads of people still play it. The EU servers are packed (the US servers less so, apparently) pretty much throughout the day.

LiquidMetal14

coolcole93 said:
Loads of people still play it. The EU servers are packed (the US servers less so, apparently) pretty much throughout the day.
I will cross post this here as I just posted it on the official forums..........
LiquidMetal14 said:
For the love of God, ditch Gamespy and properly integrate the regions. I log in the morning to play and there is hardly anyone on that early to play. I DL'd the UK demo and there are ALWAYS people on. The main issue with this is the demo has a timer AND if I add friends from the UK I cannot join them with my paid US PSN version. I tried joining 3 separate friends I added from the UK demo. I was extremely fortunate that 1 of them shared the game with me and now I can have the best of both worlds

The connection and integration of servers AND ditching of Gamespy needs to take high priority. I could only imagine how much more smoother games would go. I have a 25down 5up connection and would love to be at least yellow when playing Euro folk with the same speeds. It's rather frustrating because you want to face the best competitors but the infrastructure of the online prevents that.

You guys at Psyonix should know you have a very compelling game with a pretty hardcore following. Imagine if you took the steps to address those online issues, it would be near perfect. I'm sure these kinds of inquiries are brought forth a lot but for the sake of your die-hard beloved fans, please note these things and don't forget to work on a sequel. It would be a shame to stop what you started :)

I just had this issue today when trying to play with 3 UK newfound friends. I tried joining them with my US version but none of them worked. As I said, I got really lucky that one of them shared with me. It's only really for that game too. I explained it to him as it is rather odd to want to share just for 1 game. Am grateful I can now play this at any time of the day and find folks all around the world.

Anyone still playing this? Flunkie, I haven't seen you online a lot, you still on my friends list? And coolcole, what is your PSN?

LiquidMetal14 said:
I will cross post this here as I just posted it on the official forums..........

I just had this issue today when trying to play with 3 UK newfound friends. I tried joining them with my US version but none of them worked. As I said, I got really lucky that one of them shared with me. It's only really for that game too. I explained it to him as it is rather odd to want to share just for 1 game. Am grateful I can now play this at any time of the day and find folks all around the world.

Anyone still playing this? Flunkie, I haven't seen you online a lot, you still on my friends list? And coolcole, what is your PSN?

PSN is the same as my username. I just added you. You should join an unranked with we SARPBC forum users sometime, the standard is much much higher than you'll find in any ranked/unranked game.

LiquidMetal14

coolcole93 said:
PSN is the same as my username. I just added you. You should join an unranked with we SARPBC forum users sometime, the standard is much much higher than you'll find in any ranked/unranked game.
i'M IN THE SARP US/EU Official chat at times. If this is another then yes, invite away. The more hardcore sarpers, the better.

Holy fuck, Psyonix just announced on their official forums that they are now making merchandise for the game. Fucking epic :D

http://www.psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6176

And a direct link to the merchandise..http://www.zazzle.com/psyonix

designall.dll

WiCkEd_Co

Just heard that this game should be free this month to PS Plus users, so excited that it will get some new users to play with, Me and my circle of friends love this game.

LiquidMetal14

Just heard that this game should be free this month to PS Plus users, so excited that it will get some new users to play with, Me and my circle of friends love this game.

Odd bump here too but the activity has definitely been up and lots of noobs to prey on have been pwned :p

jayb

Do enough people still play this game that it's quick to get into a match? The price dropped to $2.99 today.

Do enough people still play this game that it's quick to get into a match? The price dropped to $2.99 today.

I'm in the EU but I haven't heard any of my American buddies complaining.

Similarly, it's £1.99 on the EU store as of today. Maybe worth putting in the title, mods?

LiquidMetal14

People still play the game. Very dedicated community across the US/EU. Pity that cross region play has never been added but one of the dedicated fans made a suggestion thread to add cross region between US/EU players via private matches.

LiquidMetal14

From the Psyonix forums

Good news everyone!
Unread postby Psyonix-Jerad on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:55 am

It's been a while since there's been any SARPBC news. There's something we've been working on, and I'd like to finally tell you about it.

Near the end of 2013 we received a notice from GameSpy that they will be shutting down in 2014. Well, as you know, SARPBC is the game that refuses to die, and we can't just let this be the end of it. We can't let GameSpy decide when the game ends. We've been working on an online layer for the sequel, and so the thought occurs to us that we could "port" this over to SARPBC. Well, we haven't done that yet, but we're going to be doing some research in this field in the near future, we're trying to get all the kinks out as much as possible, and then bring it over if we can. However:

There may not be feature parity. We'll know more as we go. That means ranked/unranked might merge together, team matches might go away, other things might change, be added, removed, or simply be different. Your stats might disappear, everything might reset, the whole thing could end up different. This is our chance to fix all the things. Tell us what you want, and we'll see who seems the loudest and then do what we want anyway. :laugh:

And to show we're serious, we've already done quite a bit to get a start on it. Ben and I have spent about 6 weeks worth of nights working on optimization. First of all, I've done the work of bringing the old code in to the year 2014, using the new Sony compilers with all the bells and whistles. This means more optimized code, which runs faster. This brought about some technical issues that I had to work through, but the result should be more stable code. I've updated the shader compiler, which allows for more optimized shaders that run faster. I've found and fixed a few startup crashes, and think that a few more outstanding crashes might also be fixed. I've fixed a few collision bugs, and made the collision about 30% faster. I've found and fixed a few threading issues, and added some caching that speeds up the rendering thread, and profiled and optimized every level. Ben has gone through the game's effects, optimized them all, and tweaked them with new techniques. Ben has Improved lightmap efficiency, removed overdraw, and tweaked the visuals of each map. The maps have new lighting, some with better textures, and generally optimized the living crap out of the game.

What does all that mean?
Improved framerate.
Split-screen and 4V4 perform better than 1v1 did before.
Maps have improved contrast and sharper shadows
Generally above 60fps, all the time

Yeah, but what else? It's been 4 years!
Fixed ball cam. It's not that broken. :tongue:
Gas/Brake/Reverse will use analog trigger feature. Yeah, that wasn't even our fault.
Boost pills/pads reset after a goal. No more being cheated out of boost on kickoff.
Mute UI fixed. :dork:
Blurry glass cracks in Wasteland :nerd:
Aligned start points and boost in Utopia
Boost pills fade in faster, and you can pick them up even if they fade in while you are sitting inside them.
Brake/reverse lights on your car aren't shared with other players using the same skin.
Fixed things I don't remember anymore.

LiquidMetal14

UPDATE 1.05 IS LIVE

Major Changes
Replaced GameSpy with our own server list.
Ranked matches no longer exist. Online matches are all unranked.
Visual improvements across all levels.
Significantly improved performance overall.
Split screen no longer reduces image quality dramatically. It is still reduced some, but generally it will look the same as usual.
Misc changes
Fix bug preventing ball cam from looking as high above you while you were moving (this is the ball-cam fix everyone wanted).
L2 and R2 are now properly analog
Boost pills spawn in 50% faster.
Fixed bug preventing you from getting boost pills while upside down.
Glass crack textures in Wasteland are no longer blurry.
Reduced volume in the XMB movie icon.
Generally, the game should be more stable. Please let me know if you get crashes on startup, and which build you find them in (US vs EU).
You should be able to save replays if you get disconnected from the host.
XMB and YouTube videos are now saved in HD formats (720p!)

Top Bottom