• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars |OT| (PSN)

Europe release is Jan 22nd for any of you all across the ocean. Just got word from Sony.

The demo will also work a bit differently than US. There is no separate demo package for Europe - instead, you download one package and can unlock it within the game itself or purchase on the XMB. Additionally the demo will not be on a separate matchmaking group from the main game - the demo is essentially the full title but with a timer attached so you only get so much playtime before it requires you to buy the game to play online more. We also opened up some more mini-games and local play modes for the trial.

What all this means is you get to sample more of the game before buying if you want to, and you get to experience the full online game (no separate matchmaking, no shortened matches, etc) for a few hours before having to buy.

AndyD

aka andydumi
needs more players online... i logged on this weekend and there were a grand total of 8 players online in the browser. all in 1v1 matches. after 5 minutes of waiting i went to crash commando.

Releases in Europe today, price is €9.99 (£7.99), demo is much improved and offers full online play for an hour and a half (no more short matches) and more single player modes.

I'll be on some today as Psyonix-Corey playing some matches when I'm not working.

RpgN

I didn't notice you could try the demo. I just bought the full game after seeing the lovely preview on PSN. Does the EU version include the patch as well? I'm off to try it out :D

RpgN said:
I didn't notice you could try the demo. I just bought the full game after seeing the lovely preview on PSN. Does the EU version include the patch as well? I'm off to try it out :D

There was an issue with the release on the Euro store, if you purchased the full game in Europe you actually got the demo. It's supposed to be free and you pay to unlock the full game once it's downloaded.

From the EU Playstation Boards:

Hey folks -

Communication time:

Hi everyone,

The demo of Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars was today published on the PlayStation Store but incorrectly classified as the full game. We're sorry for any confusion this may have caused. The demo has been temporarily removed from the PlayStation Store to correct this problem but it will be re-published very soon.

If you bought the demo of Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, believing it to be the full game, you can request a refund of the £7.99/€9.99 cost by calling our Call Centre on 08705 99 88 77

MB

Sorry for any trouble, not much we can do unfortunately, just waiting on Sony to put the demo back up (I believe all instances have been removed from the store). And yes, the European version comes with all the fixes/extras/maps contained in the US Version + the patch.

RpgN

Yes, I just noticed this. I thought 'wtf?' the whole time. When will the full game be released? Too bad, because the demo was pretty nice. I'll give sony a call :(

RpgN said:
Yes, I just noticed this. I though 'wtf?' the whole time. When will the full game be released? Too bad, because the demo was pretty nice. I'll give sony a call :(

The demo is the full game, you just have to buy it to unlock it fully. The problem was that it got released as the "full title" so you paid to buy the demo, and then our game code expects you to unlock it on the PSN store for the normal price.

What I believe will happen is they will refund you guys for making you pay for the demo download and then you download the game for free like everybody else and pay to unlock the full game.

RpgN

ickingfudiot said:
The demo is the full game, you just have to buy it to unlock it fully. The problem was that it got released as the "full title" so you paid to buy the demo, and then our game code expects you to unlock it on the PSN store for the normal price.

What I believe will happen is they will refund you guys for making you pay for the demo download and then you download the game for free like everybody else and pay to unlock the full game.

It's funny because when I click on buy full game, you are brought to store and then I get a 80023111 error code. Is that phone number applied for the people in the NL as well?

RpgN

Update
I gave sony NL (not the UK one) a call and they said they know nothing about a refund. They said I should call tomorrow, perhaps they'll get information about it at that time. OMG I hope I didn't waste my money :(

RpgN said:
Update
I gave sony NL (not the UK one) a call and they said they know nothing about a refund. They said I should call tomorrow, perhaps they'll get information about it at that time. OMG I hope I didn't waste my money :(

Don't worry, people will get refunds or coupon codes for the full title, we're not going to let our customers get hosed.

RpgN

ickingfudiot said:
Don't worry, people will get refunds or coupon codes for the full title, we're not going to let our customers get hosed.

Thanks, I hope other countries get informed in EU soon.

Update from SCEE this morning..
Good news folks -

Anyone affected by the incorrect pricing of the Super-Acrobatic-Rocket-Powered-Battle-Cars Demo will be given an automatic, full refund by Monday at the latest.

There is now no need for anyone to ring the call centre in order to obtain a refund.

If anyone has any questions, or requires further information - please don't hesitate to PM me :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your patience in this -

MB

Hopefully the correct download will be up on the store sometime today.

RpgN

So, it's monday and I still haven't received any refund and the game is nowhere to be seen. Now what?

Corrupt

RpgN said:
So, it's monday and I still haven't received any refund and the game is nowhere to be seen. Now what?
No one else has either it seems. One of the mods at the EU Playstation forums posted that he's looking into it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just got done playing this. This is worth the monies once everything is fixed for you overseas! Futbol with cars!

RpgN

Corrupt said:
No one else has either it seems. One of the mods at the EU Playstation forums posted that he's looking into it.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm just afraid that all of this talk has been aimed at the UK, I hope other countries won't be forgotten like the Netherlands.

UFRA

This game is a total blast to play with friends online or offline. I just hope they fix some of the lag issues (not my connection, I have RoadRunner) and other glitches that really get annoying sometimes.

RpgN

I would just like to say that I received a refund today, yes! Still no sign of the game. I'm not sure if I want it anymore (for now). I don't know. I didn't like this mistake. I'll probably buy it after I'm over this (in a week or 2? lol) :D

finally bought the game last week, PSN is allegate. I actually forgot I had the demo downloaded and played it a bit with my son (he's 3) and he loved it so I bought it. I didn't know there was a GAF thread so when I saw this I figured I should post.

RpgN said:
I would just like to say that I received a refund today, yes! Still no sign of the game. I'm not sure if I want it anymore (for now). I don't know. I didn't like this mistake. I'll probably buy it after I'm over this (in a week or 2? lol) :D

I'm sorry you feel that way. We didn't really have anything to do with the demo problem that occurred last week or the refunds, all we do is give them the game and tell them the price we want to charge. Mistakes were obviously made. It sucks to lose sales for something out of our control.

The game was ready to go over 3 weeks ago, there's really not much we can do but wait for Sony to put it up again. It's very frustrating.

°°ToMmY°° said:
when is this hitting the EU PSN?

It's out today finally after a few weeks of missteps. Some of us devs will be online playing today and hopefully not lagging too much from across the Atlantic :)

The EU version is a full trial, you get an hour and a half of unrestricted online play + full local splitscreen play, with a bunch of minigames available to try out before you buy.

ickingfudiot said:
It's out today finally after a few weeks of missteps. Some of us devs will be online playing today and hopefully not lagging too much from across the Atlantic :)

The EU version is a full trial, you get an hour and a half of unrestricted online play + full local splitscreen play, with a bunch of minigames available to try out before you buy.

i tried the US demo back when released, my purchase decision was made long before the game hit the EU store.

i'm loving it, it'so much fun, the space arena is awesome.

my only complaint is the tearing, sometime it's really bad, but apart from that it's really good. i still have to learn how to do a proper youtube vid though :p

buy this game people!

°°ToMmY°° said:
i tried the US demo back when released, my purchase decision was made long before the game hit the EU store.

i'm loving it, it'so much fun, the space arena is awesome.

my only complaint is the tearing, sometime it's really bad, but apart from that it's really good. i still have to learn how to do a proper youtube vid though :p

buy this game people!

You can enable V-Sync in the game options if you don't want tearing. We disable it by default to improve gameplay (we find it better with higher framerate despite tearing) but you can turn on v-sync to lock at 30 fps and you won't see tearing.

ickingfudiot said:
You can enable V-Sync in the game options if you don't want tearing. We disable it by default to improve gameplay (we find it better with higher framerate despite tearing) but you can turn on v-sync to lock at 30 fps and you won't see tearing.

thanks, you guys rock.

i think i'm gonna enable it since i'm more sensible to tearing than framerate drops.

do you play it? if so we could meet for some multi :p

I've been popping into unranked games when I can at work today, it's pretty hit and miss for me though getting into smooth games since I'm in NA.

My PSN is psyonix-corey if you want to send me a msg.

ickingfudiot said:
I've been popping into unranked games when I can at work today, it's pretty hit and miss for me though getting into smooth games since I'm in NA.

My PSN is psyonix-corey if you want to send me a msg.

thanks, i'll add you later.

i agree with flunkie, this game is truly underrated, more people need to play it. i'll do some advertising among my friends :)

i need an avatr for this game :p

LiquidMetal14

I posted this in the FW thread but could you please elaborate on a time frame for a patch and the new map? The connection errors and replay glitches are a few amongst a few non game breaking pains. I play this game more than any other game and my friends who I've convinced to buy this would be so happy with some news. A PM would be nice if it's too much to post here, ickingfudiot.

I take back the few non game breaking remark. IT does pretty much disable menus at times and it freezes as well. Not very often but when you play this a lot it seems that way.

LiquidMetal14

°°ToMmY°° said:

buy this game people!
Yes, buy this game.

Regarding the tearing, I actually prefer it with v-sync off. I tried it with it on and while the tearing is gone, it doesn't seem to play as smoothly and I get better response with it off. And the tearing itself does not interfere at all with my gameplay.

LiquidMetal14

I hope ickingfudiot is reading as I had an issue I never had last night. It let me get into matchmaking but after if attempts to join a game it freezes the system. I deleted the game, refreshed my router and modem and it still does it. I played earlier in the day just fine like always and I tried to play at leas 5 times and it froze every time. What can I do?

And while I'm at it, what's the word on a patch?

LiquidMetal14

THE DAY HAS FINALLY ARRIVED

Update is out for Eur now. US update coming today1!!!!!! FINALLY!!

Mind you this is a FREE update/patch which adds the following....

2 new maps
•2 new skins for each car
•Team lobby, return to lobby works!
•Friends list, menu display (ranked match, etc)
•Car wobbles in turns in online
•V sync doesnt seem to get to ball faster, and doesnt have franerate issues
•No more big grey ugly "bad connection" messages in game, instead, rather neat displays in corner of screen
•Permanent mute available even if not talking
•Ball outline appears through Walls
•Non-host can view server list
•Menus are faster (I think)
•Psyonix members get a star beside their name in online

Bare in mind that this is a user polled change list. The official presser will be out today detailing all the fixes and improvements.

This is one of the most addicting games I've played and among other things are lag fixes and majorly needed infrastructure overhauls to the network. Here's a preview for one of the new maps, Stadium.

http://forum.teamhd.org/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=470

This is seriously one of the best downloadable games you can get. Like a any sports games, it takes a little (not a lot) of time to get it but once you learn how to fly and the mechanics, it's SO fun.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
2 new maps? I didn't expect that. I loved this game despite never getting the hang of flying, I just try my best to keep the ball down field for my better teammates. :)

jayb

does anyone here (other than LiquidMetal14 :D ) still play this game? I downloaded the Euro demo last night and it seems fun, but I suck compared to everyone else. Also there was only about 6-10 games playing, which makes me concerned that there aren't many people still playing it. then again, it is only $5 now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
jayb said:
does anyone here (other than LiquidMetal14 :D ) still play this game? I downloaded the Euro demo last night and it seems fun, but I suck compared to the everyone else. Also there was only about 6-10 games playing, which makes me concerned that there aren't many people still playing it. then again, it is only $5 now.

I still play occasionally.

Its tough because so few people are still playing it that its hard to find matches. And if you do and suck at the game like I do you can never win and increase your stats.

We do enjoy playing split screen when people are over though. Those are fun times.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Okay I'm not a fan of the name or the tween aesthetic but this has seriously got to be one of the most fun games I've played on PSN (or XBLA for that matter).

It reminds me of an old PC game - Wild Wheels, playable on 286's and Dosbox everywhere. It's pretty much exactly the same - take a team of cars and try to put the ball in the oppositions goal area whilst trying to kill the other team. Pretty simple, in fact Wild Wheels had better customization for the cars and a much more varied and identifiable style to each of the vehicles, though the core gamestyle is the same.

The hook for me is the movement achievable with the cars. You can double-jump, boost, do barrell-rolls, you can grip to any surface which means you drive full speed along walls and ceiling, smash through other cars, perform areobatics, fly......and you can do all this with no penalty if you stuff up. Well you do have to restart if blown to smithereens, but that takes less than a second and within one more your back in the action. Essentially your always playing the game. Funny that.
I'm not one that's into e-sports - I get bored too easy. This however is the only game that I've wanted to play at a pro level - just becuase I think it would be fun to do so....

I'd like to see this updated, both in audio-visual fidelity and depth. There's much more this game could be - what if the cars were replaced by mechs (for a lame and simple example), mechs that could actually *grab* the ball - or statistical upgrades from winning games or challenges ect.....lots of potential here...

It's cheap - everyone go buy it. Grab a beer and play online. It's fantastic.

WiCkEd_Co

SnowTeeth said:
Okay I'm not a fan of the name or the tween aesthetic but this has seriously got to be one of the most fun games I've played on PSN (or XBLA for that matter).

It reminds me of an old PC game - Wild Wheels, playable on 286's and Dosbox everywhere. It's pretty much exactly the same - take a team of cars and try to put the ball in the oppositions goal area whilst trying to kill the other team. Pretty simple, in fact Wild Wheels had better customization for the cars and a much more varied and identifiable style to each of the vehicles, though the core gamestyle is the same.

The hook for me is the movement achievable with the cars. You can double-jump, boost, do barrell-rolls, you can grip to any surface which means you drive full speed along walls and ceiling, smash through other cars, perform areobatics, fly......and you can do all this with no penalty if you stuff up. Well you do have to restart if blown to smithereens, but that takes less than a second and within one more your back in the action. Essentially your always playing the game. Funny that.
I'm not one that's into e-sports - I get bored too easy. This however is the only game that I've wanted to play at a pro level - just becuase I think it would be fun to do so....

I'd like to see this updated, both in audio-visual fidelity and depth. There's much more this game could be - what if the cars were replaced by mechs (for a lame and simple example), mechs that could actually *grab* the ball - or statistical upgrades from winning games or challenges ect.....lots of potential here...

It's cheap - everyone go buy it. Grab a beer and play online. It's fantastic.

I think the not grabbing the ball makes it more fun, It's soccer not football......err wait, it is football depending where you live in the world.

I love this game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
WiCkEd_Co said:
I think the not grabbing the ball makes it more fun, It's soccer not football......err wait, it is football depending where you live in the world.

I love this game.

I think powerups would be nice. A magnet for 3 seconds that makes the ball stick to you would work to what I think he means. A global slowdown of cars but not ball, theres all sorts of possibilities.

Top Bottom