• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supply Chain Rumors Reaffirm iPhone 7 Will Not Have Headphone Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

.hacked

I hate bluetooth ear buds, I have gone through 3 pairs and batteries stop holding a charge in 2-3 months. Sure I am buying the cheap ones off amazon but these are also cheap and have lasted me years.

So guess I'll wait for iPhone 7s when they put the headphone jack back in or get one of the sure to be abundant 3rd party adapters.

reKon

Banned
I don't know about removing the headphone jack from the iPhone (or future Android phones if Apple starts this).

The obvious concern here is having to deal with the hassle of connectivity, battery life on the headphones, and audio quality.

If the BT protocol doesn't improve substantially, I don't be fucking pissed. I would want BT headphones connecting to my shit in not more than 3 seconds. I don't have time for messing around determining my audio device isn't linked up. I also don't like the fact of leaving BT on at all times on my phone, but it would be annoying to toggle that on/off.

At the same time, I love the convenience of BT when I'm using a rental car for work. If Hertz trys to give me a sedan with no BT audio capabilities built-in, I ask for another one. It's nice just being able to get in the car, connect without having to bring any aux cables and just drive off. There has been some connectivity issues and skipped audio issues I've noticed at times on some of the 2015/2016 models of cars, which is why this move would be concerning to me.

Gattsu25

Banned
then how did Sony and Samsung manage it?

This is how I see it:

3.5mm jack
- universal compatibility
- reliability
- no DRM
- high quality
- susceptible to water/sand
- no dongle required

no jack
- super low compatibility
- unknown reliability
- DRM
- slightly higher quality, which will disappear on lossy files anyways
- water/sand resistance
- stupid dongle required
- slightly thinner (bendable) phone

if wireless, it's another thing I need to charge, is susceptible to interference (wear your BTs near a microwave, see what happens), quality argument goes out the window...
Walk down my damn apartment stairwell and kiss whatever you are doing on your Bluetooth headset goodbye.

But maybe they will save us from a Bluetooth only headset by adding support for laughable fucking lightning headsets.

IISANDERII

They are the only company with the power to kill obsolete but widespread technologies (see the MacBook not having a normal USB port). Good on them. Headphones should be wireless in 2016, it makes zero sense especially since breaking the cord is the #1 reason why headphones fail so often. Do it Apple, but bundle a Bluetooth set with the phone.
USB ports are obsolete and dead???

Akronis

They are the only company with the power to kill obsolete but widespread technologies (see the MacBook not having a normal USB port). Good on them. Headphones should be wireless in 2016, it makes zero sense especially since breaking the cord is the #1 reason why headphones fail so often. Do it Apple, but bundle a Bluetooth set with the phone.

Maybe buy some decent headphones with detachable cables or just higher quality cables and you won't have this problem?

low-G

Yeah I'm done with Apple forever now. Went in at 4S and out in one go.

This is an idiotic change, wholly negative for the consumer.

Complains about BT compression, listens to music at AAC 256 kbps. Okey.

2536312-2379004-jeff_pdylf.gif

Dunlop

Yes thank God they removed the choice for us.

I get why Apple does shit like the POS lightning connector, I'll never understand why they are praised for it however.

Guess Who

Banned
Complains about BT compression, listens to music at AAC 256 kbps. Okey.

2536312-2379004-jeff_pdylf.gif

The difference between 256kbps AAC and CD-quality audio is fucking microscopic compared to the difference between wired and Bluetooth headphones.

People need to stop defending this fucking garbage.

Number45

The same way they've managed to make phone screens that don't get shatter if dropped from more than a few inches
Without wanting to derail is this a new thing on Sony phones? Because my wife dropped her Z3C before Christmas and I've never seen a screen shatter so badly - it's not even fully contained as far I can gather,

Weetrick

I don't see this being such a big deal if apple includes either wireless or lightning connected headphones. I just bought some bluetooth ones and I have to say it is really nice. Curious to see how this is going to play out.

It's a big deal because I've spent a lot of money on headphones that I really like. I have a few different pairs, for different situations. I don't want to give them all up for a new Apple-included one or have to repurchase anything.

mollipen

People are confusing the lightning thing. Apple doesn't want you to use a proprietary hook up. They want you to use wireless headphones. They're just giving you lightning as the connected option.

You know what I currently do? Throw my headphones in my purse and pull them out whenever I want/need them.

Know what I can't do with wireless headphones? That. Screw having to have another thing I have to babysit in terms of battery life.

CronoShot

So they're doing this to:

- Make their phones thinner (which they're obsessed about for no real reason)
- Make piles of cash on adapters and licensing for adapters

Good guy Apple.

Guess Who

Banned
So they're doing this to:

- Make their phones thinner (which they're obsessed about for no real reason)

This doesn't even make sense to me because the iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, and iPod touch 5th/6th gen are all quite a bit thinner than existing iPhones and still have headphone jacks.

p2535748

This is a terrible idea. I know that the AUX port is old, but it gives so much flexibility. If you want to use bluetooth headphones with a phone with a headphone jack, you still can. Eliminating the port doesn't help the consumer in any way whatsoever.

I run with my phone, and use cheap headphones while I do. I go through 2-3 pairs a year from either just sweat buildup or random crap happening to them. I'm not going to pay a premium to buy wireless ones when the same thing can happen.

tariniel

What in the fuck? This has got to be some false rumor, right? How is it smart or make any sense at all to remove the aux jack?

I was planning to skip 6 and maybe grab 7 but if it doesn't have aux there's no way in hell I'll buy it. I have several pairs of great headphones that I use on a regular basis and also plug the phone into my car to listen to music/podcasts while driving and the idea of yet another cable/adapter disgusts me.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just the other day I was thinking of switching to iPhone for my next phone in a year. Guess not.

Agreed.

Like sure I've got a lot of shit that uses the jack, but I'm not opposed to replacing it in lieu of a more advanced alternative that gives me similar options.

But the implication we just sort of need to suffer while they figure someone else out (if they ever would) is nuts to portray as a positive.

Apple = Trump ??

:-O

btrboyev

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/05/iphone-7-no-headphone-jack-supply-chain/

Thank goodness. I'm glad Apple will kill the decades old, ancient tech of aux input. Good riddance. They'll drag the luddites kicking and screaming into the future, just like they have always done. Look at the past threads on GAF alone about optical drives and Flash. Hilarious.

I also hope someone comes up with a good Bluetooth because today's and tomorrow's Bluetooth is awful. Their motto should be, "Next year!"

Edit: People are confusing the lightning thing. Apple doesn't want you to use a proprietary hook up. They want you to use wireless. They're just giving you lightning as the connected option. Join us in the 21st century jfc

except nobody is complaining about 3.5mm ports and there isn't a better alternative to it. A proprietary port would be shitty on Apples part and having an adapter to lose also sound awful. your opinion on this matter is just plain wrong. The port doesn't need to be eliminated because apple has some weird fetish about thinness.

Hilarious. They'd no doubt make money with this move, but it would be enough to lose me and many others as customers. Short term gain for Apple. Seems pretty stupid.

JCX

I mostly use bluetooth headphones now.While not as good as my studio aux pair, they do the job well. I'd hate this since my car doesn't have bluetooth and aux is the only way I can listen to music through my car's speakers.

Also I like not needed to charge headphones or drain phone battery faster with bluetooth on all the time.

Edit: People are confusing the lightning thing. Apple doesn't want you to use a proprietary hook up. They want you to use wireless. They're just giving you lightning as the connected option. Join us in the 21st century jfc

This had better be possible out of the box, with no add'l accessories and with equivalent reliability compared to the existing headphone jack, so there's no noticeable user experience difference from my existing iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom