• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Support for YouTube and Maps apps on PS Vita is ending

Support for the YouTube app dying? Can we still use it if we have it or will they just take the app away?

Near NEVER worked for me no matter how hard I tried.

mollipen

But I guess existing owners can enjoy whatever indie games are coming out for it.

The PSP is STILL getting new games in Japan. The Vita will be for years. Anybody who follows the Vita at this point is more than likely into one of two things—Japanese gaming or indies, or both—and both categories will still have offerings long after Sony has stopped making games for the system.

Ogawa-san

My favorite part is that it'll be discontinued without ever working on PSTV. But it's ok, I can use my 3DS to watch youtube anyway. It's even better, those 240p videos load super fast.

Twitch app is probably the next one to be abandoned, considering they couldn't be arsed to update it after the PS4 version with the list of games and other stuff.

Hanmik

strange that they made an app in October for the Vita (I didn´t even know it existed)... and now start closing down apps.

QoU19Ak.jpg

Still buying more Vita releases each month than PS4.
Second 64GB card in the mail.

If you enjoy current Vita support, 2015 will remain a good year with 300+ announced games.

Currently enjoying Grim Fandango and Brandish on it.

I'm no troll. I've owned a Vita since launch, and I admire the system's design and power. Sadly, however, the software has been lacking--especially as of late. I even wrote a lengthy rant on that very subject back in December, so if you want to know specifically why I'm unhappy, feel free to check it out.

As for the thread you linked:
Yeah, that's a ton of games. But have you actually analyzed the ones that are listed? Roughly 90% of them are indie titles and ports. Where's the next big Vita exclusive like Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, or even Killzone? If one is on its way, I certainly don't know about it.

I came up with at least 30 games ill be buying, if not more.

Did you actually look into the games, or just discredit them for not being AAA? I do not discriminate against indie titles, most of of my favorite games have been indie releases lately.

Open your mind.

Did you actually look into the games, or just discredit them for not being AAA? I do not discriminate against indie titles, most of of my favorite games have been indie releases lately.

Open your mind.

Indie games alone will not keep the system afloat for long. That's what I'm saying. Big hits like Gravity Rush and Tearaway are what the system needs to compete with the 3DS, and those have sadly been far and few between.

Loudninja

Hmm I wonder hwy only parts of near, did they run into issues?
Q: What do you mean by some features of "near" will be disabled? What will I not be able to do on "near" ?

A: "near" will not be able to obtain location address, or display maps.

Q: Are there any ways to look up maps or location information on PS Vita, after features of "Maps" are disabled?

A: You can use Google Maps via the "Browser" app. on PS Vita. However, search results for point/path search may differ between the "Maps" application and Google Maps displayed on the "Browser" application. Also, search histories will be saved based on the specifications of the "Browser", and the history saved on the "Maps" application will be deleted.

Furthermore, certain features that were available on the "Maps" application may be unavailable on Google Maps.

Q: What happens to the data I achieved while using "Maps" and "near" on PS Vita?

A: "near":
Information that were obtained before the update such as (1) Address information of “Out-and-About History”, “Out-and-About Radar” and “Local Chart”, (2) Address of “Private Zone Settings” will remain saved.
*Please note that (1) will be deleted after 7 days and (2) will be deleted if the private zone setting is cancelled.

"Maps":
Information such as “Bookmark” saved within the application will be deleted simultaneously with the feature disablement.

Q: Can I continue to use "Maps" and "near" if I don’t update my PS Vita system?

A: No, features will be in any case disabled in March 2015, and deleted after updating the system software.
http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10152

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Dammit I actually ended up using youtube on my vita more than my phone just because no ads and I like dat oled over my HTC One M8 screen(which is still a great screen though)

bobawesome

Wow... I actually really enjoyed using YouTube on the Vita
before getting a tablet

I wonder how long before Netflix follows.

Hanmik

This Wednesday on Neogaf... "How sony stopped support for two apps, and KILLED the Vita

--------------------------------------
Sony - Guys we are not supporting 2 apps later this year..
Neogaf - DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM Vita is dead.
Sony - Ehh we are only stopping support for 2 apps.
Neogaf - OH MY GOD.. Vita is an Indie-box confirmed.. one 3ds will rule them all.
Sony - But......
Neogaf - The system is DOOOOOMED... there is no point in denying it..
-------------------------------------

Tune in next week same time different day, for the next exciting epsiode "How Microsoft killed the Xbox One by adding way to many apps to the machine..

Indie games alone will not keep the system afloat for long. That's what I'm saying. Big hits like Gravity Rush and Tearaway are what the system needs to compete with the 3DS, and those have sadly been far and few between.

Whilst I loved Gravity Daze, Minecraft/Dont Starve/Terraria/Binding of Isaac/Hotline Miami 2/etc. are FAR heavier hitters sales wise.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Open your mind.

I think people did opened their mind...and looked beyond the vita.

Hip Hop

Whilst I loved Gravity Daze, Minecraft/Dont Starve/Terraria/Binding of Isaac/Hotline Miami 2/etc. are FAR heavier hitters sales wise.

But those sales further diminish on the Vita when you can buy them on basically any other platform.

That doesn't drive up PS Vita hardware sales.

But those sales further diminish on the Vita when you can buy them on basically any other platform.

That doesn't drive up PS Vita hardware sales.

I cant play them on mobile (with proper controls) anywhere else though.

Im not arguing for Vita sales, I am saying that Vita owners have a lot to look out for this year.

Sony really dropped the ball though.

ChrisD

But my Vita is the only device I USE for Youtube. Other than it all I've got is the big, shared desktop and my tiny little iPod Touch screen.

This sucks. :(

JordanKZ

I suspect this it nothing but a licensing issue. Sony have to pay Google for Maps and YouTube support (I believe they developed and ported the apps over to begin with). With Sony cutting costs where possible, this seemed like a likely scenario.

Gawny

Neo Member
Do you believe it will be an important firmware update? One that will include some changes in the OS that make some apps stop working properly.

If not, will they launch a new firmware for removing features only? (Besides stability)

I actually use the Youtube App alot on vita.... It surprisingly works really well thanks to LED screen and the fact it can be in HD.

Sucks that they're dropping support though.

gruenel

Really? Because Tearaway sold like shit.

Top Bottom