• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Support for YouTube and Maps apps on PS Vita is ending

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They can take away Maps and YouTube but once they remove Wake Up Club support, all hell will break loose

I'm gonna blame Google for this. They've been real dicks lately and the android version is getting increasingly stuffed with adverts.

I've never seen an ad in the Vita version, not one, which is why I liked it so much.

dude like 3 days ago I got 15sec unskippable ads for like every video I watched !!! I just shut that shit down and got a life !!!

FyreWulff

Here's to youtube vita and maps
Pulled from the store's digital apps
Your last and final quarter is yours
That last shipment will be enough

Lucifon

The main thing for this is the PS TV losing it, that thing is one of the worst handled devices in terms of support I've ever seen.

Vita losing Youtube isn't a big deal. Most phones these days have higher resolution screens than the Vita, even cheaper phones. Not to mention all the other myriad of better devices to watch Youtube on.

Surfheart

Indie games alone will not keep the system afloat for long. That's what I'm saying. Big hits like Gravity Rush and Tearaway are what the system needs to compete with the 3DS, and those have sadly been far and few between.

That's great and i wish for that too, but no one bought Tearaway.

LAA

Ha ha, maybe it does feel over dramatic but yeah Vita just feels dead and I incredibly love my vita. It's so incredibly depressing and annoying. Do something Sony! Maps...I can't see many people using that on Vita, but YouTube!
Why did it even need to be removed, does that imply too much money is keeping the vita YouTube app running? If that's the case I bet the Wii U one will be gone soon.

Indie games alone will not keep the system afloat for long. That's what I'm saying. Big hits like Gravity Rush and Tearaway are what the system needs to compete with the 3DS, and those have sadly been far and few between.

Yeah, at least games pushing the Vita hardware and big name releases.
Just unbelievable Sony have pretty much just pulled the plug on Vita support. They can dress it up however they want, but now as a result, 3rd parties are following. God Eater 2/Toukiden is on PS4/Vita now. Not even cross buy. Why would I choose the Vita version over the PS4 version. Sure I'd like both, but I don't like the game enough to buy it twice and why should I?

Only "big" Vita game I think I'm looking forward to is Steins;Gate. Hopefully Zero Escape 3 (someday...please) and more Danganronpa games in the future too, but they're unannounced for the West at least.
It feels more of the games actually pushing the Vita are moving to PS4, which makes sense for them I know, but as an owner of both, I find it hard to want the vita version when I can remote play a superior version to the vita from the PS4 version.
I've sadly lost hope for Vita now. Sure I'll be there when a big game or just any game I want on Vita is announced, but hoping for big games coming to vita is just leading to disappointment. Sony should just know I'm going to be very skeptical if they make another portable because Vita support has been disgusting. I don't know what's going through their heads. 3DS games that you know, actually push the 3DS sell the system. Indie games aren't. The likes of Mario Kart, Zelda, SSB do. So what do Sony do? Pull all hope for some of that and rely on indies, which while are great on Vita, can be played pretty much anywhere else most of the time.

jobrro

That sucks, use YouTube all the time on it - probably daily. The forward facing speakers make it better than my phone, and I don't have to waste my phones battery.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Removing YT support is a shame, and removing map (GPS?) functionality is just weird.

However, I don't think anyone will miss Near. Does anyone even know how it works?
I've booted it up a couple of times out of curiosity, but could never get my head around it. Notepad theme? Crown icon? Are these people playing other games "near" me right now?

It seemed so unnecessarily clunky for what it was trying to be. Falls way short of the mark when you consider what Streetpass does for the 3DS, and how streamlined it is.

coughlanio

Wtf why delete the app from the store? Can't they just keep it there even if it isn't supported anymore?

This is happening because Google is deprecating the YouTube v2 API on April 20th.

It's probably not worth the effort for Google/Sony to update the app to use the newer v3 API.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Since YouTube is moving to HTML 5 I'm sure google will stop developing apps for platforms that have a browser.

Cha

I guess it's not too bad since the browser can still be used to access youtube and play videos. But the app was convenient and easy to use.

EDIT: NEVER used maps. So not gonna miss that at all :p

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
So, uh, will the app just stop working in time or will the ones who have already downloaded it be able to use it a while longer?

Oersted

So, uh, will the app just stop working in time or will the ones who have already downloaded it be able to use it a while longer?

Will stop working.

In what way will it affect near?
http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10152

I'm gonna blame Google for this. They've been real dicks lately and the android version is getting increasingly stuffed with adverts.

I've never seen an ad in the Vita version, not one, which is why I liked it so much.

Blame Sony.

nampad

No Youtube app support? WOW
That is kind of essential. I know there is still the web browser but I liked the app a lot. Why not keep it on life support and just available without further updates?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
the first concrete sign of Sony giving up on my beloved Vita.

In what way is that a sign? If they were giving up on Vita, why make a new update to take away those apps? They could just leave everything as is if they didn't care.

Maybe the features were found to be vulnerable or the next system updates planned would need a major reworking of the apps they didn't care for?

I watch Youtube videos all the time using the browser, never really saw the point of downloading a separate app to do the same thing.

Windforce

Guys, what about games that use location data such as Destiny of Spirits etc?

What about trophies and other features that require near??? Time to panic and get unlocking any near related trophies?

These are awful news... :(

Guys, what about games that use location data such as Destiny of Spirits etc?

What about trophies and other features that require near??? Time to panic and get unlocking any near related trophies?

Near was even a forced feature in the early days of Vita games. Time to try and get those Stardust Delta music tracks!

Shizuka

I've never used YouTube on my Vita, but it's a shame to see something like this happening while the Vita is only completing three years in North America next month.

Oersted

In what way is that a sign? If they were giving up on Vita, why make a new update to take away those apps? They could just leave everything as is if they didn't care.

Maybe the features were found to be vulnerable or the next system updates planned would need a major reworking of the apps they didn't care for?

Your third and your fourth sentence kind of contradict each other.

RpgN

It won't matter if you have the app, the API the app is using will cease to function come April 20th. The app will be useless.

Wait,what? I thought you can still use the app if it's DLed and installed according to the op?

I use youtube app all the time. Video quality is great, there are no adds and it's very handy to have. What the hell...

orioto

Good Art™
titanic-violin-scene-o.gif

The cost of maintaining and updating the apps probably isn't worth it any more.

Not that I imagine it was worth it to them before, but sales aren't exactly picking up, even with Minecraft and BL2 now available.

Time to start reducing costs as much as possible without undermining the Vita as a viable gaming device.

danowat

Banned
I've just got a Vita, and I love it, however, I can't think of any reason why I'd want to use youtube on it.

If I am at home, I have 4 devices hooked to a large screen TV I can watch it on, or a 7" tablet, on the move I always have a smart phone, so using the Vita as a youtube device is, for me, pointless.

As for "near", I've never actually got round to using it, but on the face of it, it appears it would be a decent little app, so that's a shame it's going before I've had much of a chance to use it.

Ninja Dom

Wait,what? I thought you can still use the app if it's DLed and installed according to the op?

I use youtube app all the time. Video quality is great, there are no adds and it's very handy to have. What the hell...

From the posts above on this page, it seems like the app will stop connecting to the YouTube service because it is using outdated API's. And Sony won't be updating to the new API's.

fsckit

Neo Member

Having been through a number of contract negotiations with Google in the past, it would not surprise me at all if Google wanted a lot more money for continued use. Maybe Sony looked at how much they were used on the platform and decided to put their money elsewhere.

Personally I've used the Youtube app only a few times and maps only the first time it was installed. I use my phone for both far more frequently. Hopefully they'll remove the email app next.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Does the Vita apps use Flash for maps and videos? It might have to do with Google's phasing out of Flash in general.

xxczx

I don't think I've ever once thought "hey, I'm going to watch some YouTube videos on my Vita today!"

EDIT: And I wish they would just get rid of Near altogether, the notifications are really annoying. You could probably turn them off I guess, but the app takes like 2 minutes to load.

Top Bottom