• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surface Pro Gaming.

ColonelT

I run WoW on my i5 Surface Pro 3, and it runs well on low graphics settings. The fan goes nuts though. And the WoW UI is minuscule at that resolution; the UI scaling options don't seem to work at all. It's legible but I need to find a fix for that.

SerTapTap

Personally waiting for the Surface 4. I thought if I were to buy one, I might as well see if it has any improvements that make it worthwhile.

I'm hoping the X1 streaming in Windows 10 works well enough so that I can have some fun with it on a Surface.

If it's as good as Steam in home streaming or PS4 remoteplay it will be very good (results seem to vary, but both seem to work at optimal capacity in my house). Expecting it to be more like PS4 remote play than Steam though, Steam is full 1080p60FPS (possibly more but that's the most I can test) but since it's PC you have major potential unused resources which the Xbone might not have. PS4's limited by it's hardware streaming chip, not entirely sure how that works out on Xbone but there's surely some specific hardware reserve.

But still, even 720p 30FPS with good quality and less than a 30FPS frame's worth of lag is pretty damn servicable. And if it's as good as Steam's streaming--hooboy, aside from some fairly minor compression artifacts (and my desktop being 1080p vs the Surface being 1440p) it's like you're playing the real thing. Real 60 FPS, single digit (usually 1-3ms for me) input lag. Great stuff.

I run WoW on my i5 Surface Pro 3, and it runs well on low graphics settings. The fan goes nuts though. And the WoW UI is minuscule at that resolution; the UI scaling options don't seem to work at all. It's legible but I need to find a fix for that.

Not all games support it but I set the Windows DPI slider all the way up. And I'll rarely run anything 3D in 1440p on it, not only do most games not have proper UI scaling, 1440p is a LOT of pixels to push, even at 3:2, I find 1080p or 720p are easier to fuss out good performance with.

xbox one local recordings are limited to 1280x720 30fps, not sure if that is a power limit or some other technical cap. I would think that streaming uses that video resource like how twitch streaming stops the ability to save gameplay clips to the xbox one.

Ordered my SP3 on friday to replace my galaxy note 10.1 (first generation). I'm stoked about its arrival ^^
Is it possible to use steam in-home streaming with touch controls if the game supports it, e.g. civilization? I didn't buy it as a gaming device but if it's possible...why not?

Probably Windows 10?

When I tested out steam streaming on to my windows tablet any touch counts as the mouse, it's not perfect but games with clickable menus work fine from what I have tested out.

Some games which require right clicks and drag and drop do not always work, depends on how the game was coded.

What kind of temps are we talking? The fan certainly kicks in when I play games but it doesnt get hot though just a little warm to the touch. The fan does its job quite nicely.

I'm not sure how to actually measure it, but it gets to the point where it's uncomfortable to touch.

I play Final Fantasy 14 on my Surface Pro 2 sometimes, and on low settings it handles it like a champ. It's also played some PS2 games I've tried on pcsx2 pretty well, with one not being too playable ( virtua fighter 4) and a couple only able to run at native resolution, but running full-speed nonetheless( Dragon Quest 8, Xenosaga).

It's not why I got a Surface Pro 2, but being able to run these games left me pleasantly surprised.

My fan is really horrible when I play games (Surface Pro 1). It makes an awful noise. I think it's broken. I'm out of warranty though so they want $300 to replace it. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it.

I've been using my Mom's Surface Pro 3 since my fan is so busted and I can't take it to class because it's so loud. I find the stylus is way more flaky than my Pro 1. Taking notes in class it sometimes misses strokes. Playing Hearthstone it seems to lose track of the pen if it's too far above the screen. Totally different feel than the Pro 1. I've tried replacing the batteries but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

bomblord1

Banned
My fan is really horrible when I play games (Surface Pro 1). It makes an awful noise. I think it's broken. I'm out of warranty though so they want $300 to replace it. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it.

I've been using my Mom's Surface Pro 3 since my fan is so busted and I can't take it to class because it's so loud. I find the stylus is way more flaky than my Pro 1. Taking notes in class it sometimes misses strokes. Playing Hearthstone it seems to lose track of the pen if it's too far above the screen. Totally different feel than the Pro 1. I've tried replacing the batteries but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I haven't tested it extensively for note taking but I've used the pen the last few days I've had the pro 3 and it seems to work fine. I use it over my finger for normal usage 90% of the time as it's more precise than my finger and doesn't leave fingerprint smudges.

I have noticed you have to apply slight pressure to get it to register inputs. Just tapping it on the screen or lightly gliding i across never gets results.

If you're having issues try going to the surface hub and adjusting the pen sensitivity.

SerTapTap

The pen is different from Wacom in a few ways but works pretty great. Might take a bit of getting used to, but there's some stuff you just need to learn to do with pens like that. Raising it high off the screen will of course remove the cursor, the pressure sensitivity might need to be adjusted in Surface Hub, but it didn't take too long for me to get used to it as a 5 year Wacom tablet PC user. Never had it not register a tap, but you need to get the feel of what constitutes a tap.

Also for note-taking, nothing, NOTHING beats onenote. Fantastic software, seems to have lower than typical latency as well. Wish I had this thing in college when I had an actual reason to take notes on a regular basis. Maybe I should start making maps of games again...

bomblord1

Banned
I'm thinking of jazzing up the OP a bit. Adding some more information maybe some confirmed working games and how to's.

Does anyone have any suggestions of info to add?

I just got one yesterday and had a question about controller compatibility. Some googling shows an Xbox One controller will work with it as long as you pair it with a USB cable, but can you use it wirelessly after it's paired?

bomblord1

Banned
I just got one yesterday and had a question about controller compatibility. Some googling shows an Xbox One controller will work with it as long as you pair it with a USB cable, but can you use it wirelessly after it's paired?

No it's not usable wirelessly sadly.

SerTapTap

No adapter for Xbone controllers period at the moment. You can use DS4s native/with DS4tool over bluetooth though and 360s wired/wireless by sacrificing the USB port (non-powered hubs unfortunately only provide about 2-3 mid-low draw devices worth of power), or wired Xbone just like 360

Gotcha. Any experience with those wireless 360 dongles for PC? I have a few perfectly capable 360 controllers that I'll almost never use with my 360 again. I can deal with a wired controller, but it would be real nice to not have to.

SerTapTap

Gotcha. Any experience with those wireless 360 dongles for PC? I have a few perfectly capable 360 controllers that I'll almost never use with my 360 again. I can deal with a wired controller, but it would be real nice to not have to.

They are fine, but if you get an unofficial one you have to manually install the stupid driver each time--it's not extremely difficult but adds a couple minutes to each attempt at a gaming session. I don't have an official one but I assume they don't have that problem? The official ones seem to be very hard to get ahold of anymore, everything I see seems to be third party.

Mine's fine for the desktop but I don't' think I could stand using it with the Surface regularly, I'd rather use a DS4 or a wired controller at that point. Anyone got an official one? Where did they all go?

Civ 5, Civ BE seem like they were made for Surface. So good. Also runs Dirt3, Lost Planet, Portal 2 really well. i7 here.

Edit: also Surface 3 supports Dualshock 4 natively via Bluetooth. I was blown away. Also supports Wireless Gold headset via usb antenna. I'm still working on running Android and PS4 remote play. I know it's possible...

Lichter

I'm waiting the SP4, I think that Microsoft did a very good job with the third one.

But this year the Dell XPS 13 impressed me too.

How good PCSX2 runs on SP3 ?

They are fine, but if you get an unofficial one you have to manually install the stupid driver each time--it's not extremely difficult but adds a couple minutes to each attempt at a gaming session. I don't have an official one but I assume they don't have that problem? The official ones seem to be very hard to get ahold of anymore, everything I see seems to be third party.

Mine's fine for the desktop but I don't' think I could stand using it with the Surface regularly, I'd rather use a DS4 or a wired controller at that point. Anyone got an official one? Where did they all go?

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Civ 5, Civ BE seem like they were made for Surface. So good. Also runs Dirt3, Lost Planet, Portal 2 really well. i7 here.

Edit: also Surface 3 supports Dualshock 4 natively via Bluetooth. I was blown away. Also supports Wireless Gold headset via usb antenna. I'm still working on running Android and PS4 remote play. I know it's possible...

Ohh I might try that. I just got a second PS4 controller the other day.

SerTapTap

How good PCSX2 runs on SP3 ?

Ooo, that, and dolphin, are a good question. Considering how excessive I can get on my desktop, I think it should work at least with no visual improvements. I'l ltry and remember to test that if no one else does.

bomblord1

Banned
Ooo, that, and dolphin, are a good question. Considering how excessive I can get on my desktop, I think it should work at least with no visual improvements. I'l ltry and remember to test that if no one else does.

I own animal crossing, last story, rune factory tides of destiny, and harvest moon a wonderful life. If your interested in test of any of those.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can't wait t get a Surface Pro 4 and play Homeworld, Sins, Starcaft, Civ, etc on the go. The old Total Wars would be nice too. Hoping for something powerful enough to run some older FPS/TPS games too. Bioshock, Titanfall, etc would be nice.

Wurstsemmel

Neo Member
Received my surface pro 3 today - great device but civ 5 is murdering the fan even on lowest settings and changing the resolution gave me the first bluescreen since windows me. Will do more tests tommorow ;)

Caayn

Received my surface pro 3 today - great device but civ 5 is murdering the fan even on lowest settings and changing the resolution gave me the first bluescreen since windows me. Will do more tests tommorow ;)
Got the i5/256GB model with a typecover 3 this week. It's an amazing little device, but yeah civ5 and beyond earth certainly know how to ramp up the fan. Not a recommendation, I wonder how sid starships will run on it since that is also coming out on ios.

Native resolution and lowest settings resulted in low but playable fps. No bluescreens for me, did you check what caused the error?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I use my original Pro to play a shitload of KoF 98 on the go.

XCom works well, but it sems to struggle with some TT games which I thought it would have no probs with

Since this is a Surface thread..

Does anyone know where one can get a new original SP1/2 Stylus? Mine actually SNAPPED IN HALF on friday.

(surprisingly, the two halves still work individually. gotta love Wacom ingenuity lol)

I own a bamboo feel stylus, but that has... issues (like, say, making taps with the stylus still 2 cm from the tablet.. in the top right hand corner, right about where the close button for windows apps is....)

As for gaming with it, i've honestly not tried much other than Osu (But holy shit, does Osu work! it's like a giant DS!)

bomblord1

Banned
Since this is a Surface thread..

Does anyone know where one can get a new original SP1/2 Stylus? Mine actually SNAPPED IN HALF on friday.

(surprisingly, the two halves still work individually. gotta love Wacom ingenuity lol)

I own a bamboo feel stylus, but that has... issues (like, say, making taps with the stylus still 2 cm from the tablet.. in the top right hand corner, right about where the close button for windows apps is....)

As for gaming with it, i've honestly not tried much other than Osu (But holy shit, does Osu work! it's like a giant DS!)

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QYK6Z68/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't game on my SP3 often because I'm home most of the time and game on other devices but some that I've tried that work well with touch are Hearthstone, Broken Age and The Banner Saga.

Has anyone tried Steam streaming to the Surface?

I did Steam streaming yesterday since I was curious how it'd work. It seemed to work fine, my internet was the real issue since the TV I was trying with is a bit away from my router, and as a result my signal wasn't strong enough.

bomblord1

Banned
Hey guys a bit of a surface pro 3 "hack"

We all know the pro 3 doesnt have a pen holder unless you attach the type cover. Well, I found out when you dont have the type cover on the magnets that attach it are powerful enough to hold the pen firmly in place.

SerTapTap

Hey guys a bit of a surface pro 3 "hack"

We all know the pro 3 doesnt have a pen holder unless you attach the type cover. Well, I found out when you dont have the type cover on the magnets that attach it are powerful enough to hold the pen firmly in place.

Right, forgot about that. Neat trick, though it's just slightly unstable enough (and requires blocking the power port) so that I don't use it. IIRC the surface pro 3 dock also lets you do this.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
besides the fan and heat a bit more gaming is one of the things I hope the surface 4 does better than before.

Indeed. I'd just love to be able to plug it in anywhere and play some older/less demanding games from my Steam Library. Going to get the Flagsgip model when it releases, whatever that may be. Hoping it provides a significant leap in processing power over the 3.

whitehawk

Banned
Any video that shows PCSX2/Dolphin running on Surface Pro 3?
Don't have a video, but I use Dolphin on my Surface Pro 2 i5 a lot. I can run most games very well. Smash Bros melee/brawl run at full speed, even with 4 players. Pikmin 2 in HD runs full speed. Pretty much everything I've tried runs fine except for Mario Galaxy 1/2. Maybe Zelda but I haven't tried yet. Just make sure you use a recent dev build. A lot faster than the stable build.

Kritz

Banned
I was able to successfully play, at around 30FPS, DOTA 2 on the lowest settings at 720P, on a Surface Pro 1.

I imagine the 2 or 3 could do it even better. But for emergency dota, the surface pro is great.

edit - and while there are better for it, I have used my Surface many times as a Steam home streaming device. If you buy the HDMI adapter, you now have a portable Jackbox Collection device that you can hook up to people's TV / wifi. I have enjoyed many, many games of 8 player Drawful and Fibbage using the Surface.

There's been nothing so far on when the SP4 is potentially releasing right ?

I really like what my original SP1 can do for my limited PC gaming needs, but I'm holding off putting money down on the SP3 in hope that the SP4 is around the corner.

Shouldnt there at least be 'rumours' ?

Gavatron

Neo Member

Strange, Civ 5 runs pretty sweet on my Surface Pro (i5) but my only gripe would be that the touchscreen controls can be a little clumsy at times.

Not the kind of game that would push the system to it's very limits or anything, but I love a quick game of Pacman CE DX+ here and there between lectures.

SerTapTap

There's been nothing so far on when the SP4 is potentially releasing right ?

I really like what my original SP1 can do for my limited PC gaming needs, but I'm holding off putting money down on the SP3 in hope that the SP4 is around the corner.

Shouldnt there at least be 'rumours' ?

I don't think there have ever been credible Surface rumors that I'm aware of. There were Surface Mini (obvious guess) rumors for like a full year that never amounted to anything, most of the Surface Pro 3's awesome improvements were out of the blue. If you search there are alleged "surface pro 4" rumors, amusingly enough right next to the "microsoft to stop making Surfaces???" and "surface mini" rumors which seem to be bullshit guesses.

But they'll almost certainly announce one this year for windows 10 if they're still doing annual ones. That's late in the year so why would the announce it now?

bomblord1

Banned
I don't think there have ever been credible Surface rumors that I'm aware of. There were Surface Mini (obvious guess) rumors for like a full year that never amounted to anything, most of the Surface Pro 3's awesome improvements were out of the blue. If you search there are alleged "surface pro 4" rumors, amusingly enough right next to the "microsoft to stop making Surfaces???" and "surface mini" rumors which seem to be bullshit guesses.

But they'll almost certainly announce one this year for windows 10 if they're still doing annual ones. That's late in the year so why would the announce it now?

Yup the only even slightly credible rumor I've read is a cherry trail surface mini to release alongside the pro4. Outside of that there isn't much to go off of.

Was playing the new sim city on close to maxed and the performance was great just the small screen on the surface 2 made it a bit of a nuisance.....that and sim city not being anygood

OnPoint

Got my Surface 3 last week and I've been playing around with it. Don't have much to report yet on performance, I'm sure I will after my plane ride to GDC tomorrow. I'm going to probably do quite a bit of gaming on it if I can.

One thing I don't like right now is how hidden the configuration options are. I have to dig deeper into it, but adjusting performance has been a pain so far.

Overall I love the machine though.

SerTapTap

Was playing the new sim city on close to maxed and the performance was great just the small screen on the surface 2 made it a bit of a nuisance.....that and sim city not being anygood

So glad they went full hog with the 12" form factor with the 3. Factoring in distance to the screen it doesn't really feel smaller than my 24" desktop monitors. It's nice and legal pad sized too so it's not quite too heavy/big for one-handed use.

Got my Surface 3 last week and I've been playing around with it. Don't have much to report yet on performance, I'm sure I will after my plane ride to GDC tomorrow. I'm going to probably do quite a bit of gaming on it if I can.

One thing I don't like right now is how hidden the configuration options are. I have to dig deeper into it, but adjusting performance has been a pain so far.

Overall I love the machine though.

You mean power settings? They're mostly removed since you know, it's a tablet. Not like power options were super relevant on laptops anyway, usually just "kill my battery" or "kill my performance". Keep it cool and keep it plugged in if you want the best performance. It's pretty smart about everything else. Heat is always going to be a performance problem in a device like that (unless they gimp the processor to the point where it simply can't get very hot which is hardly preferable).

For non-power settings, just use the control panel and the charms bar, it's all there. Windows 8's Metro settings apps are kind of a pain in the ass but almost everything's still in Control Panel. Charms bar is surprisingly useful for little tweaks like brightness and screen lock. There's actually a key combo for brightness but I forget it, something like FN and the top right two keys?

Top Bottom