• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surprise of the Year - EA shipping Madden 2005 with Nintendo DS launch!

DMczaf

I know you were not expecting this!

I was watching the new Madden 2005 interview at Gamespot and he said "Later this year you should expect Madden 2005 on PC, PSOne, and Nintendo DS"

I might just have to get a DS now! MADDEN! :)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Now you don't have to get the Madden Collection on PS2 to be reminded how Madden looked on the PSone ;)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
On the fly cutom-plays on the touch screen would be > you.
football.jpg

FightyF

Banned
I'm assuming it's going to be 3D...but honestly, I'm really skeptical about it's 3D performance. It's on PSOne's level.

It would be cool, but it would also require EA to exert resources customizing a game for a specific platform... instead of assembly line production that maximizes profits and has made them rich. Money > creativity.

AirBrian

Let's just hope EA does something halfway creative with the 2nd screen. If it's just used to pick plays, then meh. But the WiFi would still rock. :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
Fight for Freeform said:
I'm assuming it's going to be 3D...but honestly, I'm really skeptical about it's 3D performance. It's on PSOne's level.

It's above N64, actually. And due to the resolution/size of screens, it looks better than even that IMO (viewing Metroid Prime Hunters)

Anyway, I think it's becoming pretty clear where the big boys see the portable market going. Square/Enix being cold on PSP but hot on NDS, and now EA's bulwark, Madden on the NDS...I guess something can be said for innovation, and making a portable that your market can afford (and play for a good bit of time without having to worry about batteries)

Mason

That's the thing that worries me about DS. Companies could really add a lot to the DS versions of their games that would make them very unique and innovative, but they'd have to put a lot of time and resources into it.

miyuru

You guys shouldn't assume the DS will rock because a franchise as popular as Madden is hitting it. I love the DS more than the PSP, but...you didn't expect MADDEN on every console possible?

Matlock

Banned
miyuru said:
You guys shouldn't assume the DS will rock because a franchise as popular as Madden is hitting it. I love the DS more than the PSP, but...you didn't expect MADDEN on every console possible?

I see John ate your dog, too.

FightyF

Banned
It's above N64, actually.

I said PSOne, didn't I? :)

I should have been more clear, as far as geometry goes, it looks like it's on PSOne level. That said, it would have more polygons than that Madden 64 pic. And yes, it would run at nearly the same resolution as the PSOne.

The biggest concern for any Madden fan has to be the animation, because it's tied to the gameplay in many ways.

On the other hand, the fact that EA has announced it goes to show that they are prepared to do a decent port. This is their flagship title, they want to keep it's reputation untarnished. They probably saw many gameplay possibilities with the dual screen. I just wish that this machine was a lot more powerful, because playing 3D games on it will seem like a step backward.

If done right, this can be an important launch title!

DJ_Tet

Banned
miyuru said:

Yeah Madden helped the Dreamcast so damn much.

cvxfreak

I suppose the DS will give EA a reason to keep developing on last gen software kits. Develop a PSone and DS version side by side.

Insertia

no, no, no.

If it looks anything like the PSX/N64 incarnations then it's pointless. Madden is one of the most horribly ugly games of the last gen.

ravingloon said:
It would be cool, but it would also require EA to exert resources customizing a game for a specific platform... instead of assembly line production that maximizes profits and has made them rich. Money > creativity.

Actually EA should just get the GBA or PSone team to take up the DS versions from now on. The latest GBA is pretty impressive from initial impressions.

MattCoz

Madden on the N64 ran at 640x480, that's 6.25 times the resolution of the DS screen, so they should be able to make it look really nice.

Although it would be really nice to see them use the DS's abilities, I'm worried they'll just do a N64 port and have a token touch screen feature where John Madden yells "BOOM!" whenever you tap the screen. :p

Borat

Banned
Insertia said:
no, no, no.

If it looks anything like the PSX/N64 incarnations then it's pointless. Madden is one of the most horribly ugly games of the last gen.

So gameplay doesn't matter? And it will look better on a small screen anyway.

Check out a preview of what Madden DS will probably look a lot like HERE by watching streaming video of Madden 04 on PSOne...

Anyway...the DS version will probably end up looking nicer...at least in terms of fluidity and image quality.

Well, if EA uses their brain,they'll most definitely give Madden DS a touchscreen play maker option. Heck, I hate sports games, but that along with wireless multiplay would even be tempting to me because it would actually add something to thegenre (which EA hasn't done in ages).

Regardless, glad to hear it's coming to the DS because that's just one more big title for the system, probably at/close to launch.

cvxfreak

Madden 2005 DS would rock if up to 16 players were able to play with or against each other, with play making on the touch screen. It wouldn't hurt to see stats and such on the second screen, in a similar fashion to how the GBA acts for the GC version of Madden games. By brother would buy it, and I'd play it out of sheery curiosity. I'm sure EA will use the PSone Madden 2005 as a foundation for the DS games, too.

Mock

Banned
Any console that launches with Maddem seems to have an edge. But handhelds? I dunno. Any handheld that launches with Yu-Gi-Oh or a Nintendo title, that seems to be more applicable to the market we're talking about.

For me, its which handheld is going to have Castlevania, Metroid and strategy titles. So far, it looks like DS will have my money.

Anyway, EA having Madden for DS at launch is nice and Sony having Madden 2005 on PSP will be kinda pointless if it really launches in the spring, which I doubt immensely. Try Xmas 2005. They've given Nintendo Xmas 2004 for the DS.

The stylus playmaking would be a cool idea, but c'mon, this EA we're talkin'. They suck Sony's corporate cock. Did they do any relevant GBA connectivity? No. How long did it take them to wake up to Xbox Live? Too long. Their PS2 online support? A joke.

puck1337

If EA doesn't do the touchscreen play design/calling, Nintendo needs to pay them to do it or they need to do it themselves. That kind of feature in such a mass market game is exactly what Nintendo needs.

mattx5

Mock said:
For me, its which handheld is going to have Castlevania, Metroid and strategy titles. So far, it looks like DS will have my money.

Wow, I just realized something....

There might never be another 2D Metroid game!

0o

I'm sure this is old news to everyone, but it kinda just hit me...

jarrod

Banned
mattx5 said:
Wow, I just realized something....

There might never be another 2D Metroid game!

0o

I'm sure this is old news to everyone, but it kinda just hit me...
Naw, there's still Famicom Mini Seies 3: Volume 23: Metroid to look forward too. :p

Top Bottom