• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survey indicates Blizzard is considering $25 Legendary Skins, $45 Mythic Skins in Overwatch 2

Draugoth

Gold Member
A survey some Overwatch players received seem to indicate that Blizzard is considering releasing the new Mythic Skins for $44.99.

Overwatch players didn't react nicely..

FY4XV8cUEAAErEi

FY4XWoXUUAIgaMx

FY4XUiJVUAAlkld

FY4XTsEUcAArsmT

Jennings

Is Mythic the best they've got? $45 seems a bit humdrum for streamers and the like, just about anybody can afford that. If anything they need special $5k+ tiers just to keep viewers interested. Everybody plays a character, but not everybody wants to look the same as everybody else.

Esca

I like cosmetics and will be a skin or two generally if I like a game but those prices, no chance if they go through

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They do this all the time, send out surveys with different dollar values attached and see what people would actually be willing to pay.

As in, the reason this stuff costs what it does in the first place (looking at you, WoW services) is because people lap it up.

anthony2690

There goes my interest in overwatch if they actually introduce cosmetics at this price.

That's $15 less than a brand new game for some crappy cosmetic (in a first person shooter off all things)

I get to enjoy some mugs cosmetic just as much as them, as I'll see it at the start and end of the round for free, whilst that Muppet would've dropped $25/45 🥲

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
And yesterday people were bitching and whining about the launch of a high-fidelity airliner for Microsoft Flight Simulator at $35. 😂

Why is Blizzard actively trying to kill the game every chance they get? I don't get it...
Clearly doesn't matter if the game survives or not, against the profits they can make next quarter.

I think this is the issue with pre-agreeing to sell and then waiting months to do it. Until the sale is done it's their own circus and Microsoft always pays the amount they agreed to even if the company (or their IP) is actually worth less.

Basically, if they were to stay independent for 10 more years, I think they wouldn't do this, but because they think they'll sell, they want to make as much money as possible until it closes, probably to distribute that equity before the sale closes for their higher ups (who'll leave soon after the merger, either because they can't make that amount of money anymore or leave after to settle to get out because of how much they're earning anyway).

This is looking more and more like a bad buy.

Akuji

Blizzard truely knows how to be the worst.
They have perfected the art in that regard.

Fuck them. Have played Blizzard games pretty much exclusivly for years when i was younger. StarCraft, WarCraft and WoW Vanilla -> Wraith were awesome times, not to forget D2 which i only played a little but it was a great game as well.

Nowadays they release crappy games that are clustered with micro transactions.

DaGwaphics

Buying cosmetics is the dumbest thing in a long time. Things that should be free somehow are paid lmao.

I hear you, I'm someone that couldn't care less how the game character I'm playing as is dressed. But, if it's optional and other people are getting enjoyment out of the customization and all that, to each their own. I guess in some cases streamers may be turning a profit for playing and creating an insane look might make them more recognizable on there.

rubenburgt

The more I read about Overwatch 2, the more in convinced it will fail massively.

Overwatch 1 was already bad thanks to the terrible balancing, but Overwatch 2 has bad balancing AND greedy practices.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well they sell 25 dollar mounts in the wow store which also needs a sub to play, so why not sell a skin for 25 dollars in overwatch 2?

Isnt it f2p as well or was it just rumors?
And base game plus expansion.

Btw I don't see any problem as long a it doesn't affect gameplay balance, they're just cosmetics. Also the game is gonna be f2p

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Well, Fallout 76/Bethesda are already selling power armor skin for 1800 atoms (~18$ / ~18€) since years, for real.

What a wonderful world.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I don’t see a problem. Personally this benefits me as I can get my 10-20 hours of fun for free and then bounce with the rest of the casuals once the sweaties take over. I absolutely have no problem with none gambling pay to have cosmetics. Loot boxes are bad due to randomness, but this is whatever. The game is free.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, considering mtx leads to record profits it works.

It probably goes something like this:

- 90% of gamers dont pay a dime
- 9% of gamers pay a bit
- 1% of gamers are whales

Marketing dept: "Just wait CEO, the money will come"

Soon after when gamers play more and due to social pressures and needing to level up fast:

- 80% of gamers dont pay a dime
- 15% of gamers pay a bit
- 5% are whales

Marketing dept: "See CEO, told ya mtx money would ramp up fast. These idiots keep paying money trying to follow each other"

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Blizzard. All that needs be said.

I want customizable cosmetics. Let me upload a picture of myself hitting a 40oz of that smooth drinking Colt 45, then put that image onto a t-shirt that Mei will wear. I'd pay $45 USD real money for that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People in this thread have a hard time understanding the following equation...

Overwatch players play Overwatch for 1,000+ hours. They spend 300, 400 dollars on meaningless skins that don't effect gameplay. So that's about $00.35 cents per hour with a game they love.

Bloodborne players play Bloodborne for 30 hours and they spend 60 dollars on it. That comes to $2.00 dollars per hour with a game they love.

Only Bloodborne forces you to pony up the dough up front. Overwatch says "Pay only if you feel like it, or don't...do whatever you want."

This model is objectively superior.

Because the core gameplay with unlocking cosmetic stuff will be pure slow agony, calculated to the point where u think, im not gonna invest time in this, i'll just buy this 45$ skin.
That's only for people who are on the edge of paying or not. I play apex. I spend about 10$ a year because that's all I want to spend. I have opportunity to spend a lot more with 200$ skins but I don't.

Dont worry, I can 100% guarantee a lot of gaf members and gamers will buy them. Clown picture posts never really have an impact on the real world. Enjoy your future gamers.

iHaunter

Retards will pay for this shit and we all suffer for it.
It's kinda sad. I beat Diablo Immortal, did not pay a penny. Still playing Genshin Impact on my phone sometimes, not spending a penny.

Trying to be competitive in a F2P/P2W game is an oxymoron in it of itself. Though I'm sure OW2 will just be cosmetic. Still $45 is almost the price of a full AAA game. F2P games are a fucking scam.

Top Bottom