• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sushi Strike: The Way of Sushido [OT] Sushido Blade

Andyliini

NwlMngm.png

The evil empire seized our sushi, it's time to strike back!
Platform: Nintendo Switch & Nintendo 3DS
Release date: June 8th 2018 (Wordwide)
Developer: indieszero
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: Puzzle

iWXnGiZ.png

Sushi Strike: The Way of Sushido was originally announced for Nintendo 3DS as a budget-priced puzzle game. It later evolved into a Switch & 3DS game we see today; over 10-hour main game and 150 stages of sushi-throwing goodness. The objective of the game is to advance from stage to stage, beat enemies by throwing sushi at them and aid sushi-sprites for their help. You can fight by combining lines of sushi-plates on a conveyor belts, and by building massive towers of food-weapons with them. If you are good enough, you can even build up combos for massive damage! Do you have it in you to fight the evil empire and save the sushi-sprites?
The game features voice acting for both protagonists, and a huge cast of supporting characters. If the story mode is not enough for you, the challenge your friends to chaotic sushi-throwing battles either locally or online.

s3LdZOk.png

The game is available for both Nintendo Switch & Nintendo 3DS. Both include the complete game, with similar content. The game features HD graphics on Switch, while 3DS version offers the original pocket-sized experience. Both versions support local wireless and online play, but these titles are not cross-compatible with each other. Here are to boxarts for both versions:

Nintendo Switch:
sushi_striker_the_way_of_sushido-43694748-.jpg

Nintendo 3DS:
sushi_striker_the_way_of_sushido.jpg

eEV35pa.png

Metacritic: 78

Eurogamer - No grade
Sushi Striker, with its quick burst play and snappy touch controls, is one game that's arguably better suited to a handset, and when placed in a box and put on a shelf it stands out as something of an anomaly. Just let it serve as a reminder, too, of a brand of gaming that might well have passed now that Nintendo's found another path to tread.

NintendoWorldReport - 95
Sushi Striker is a diamond in the rough in Nintendo’ Switch lineup. This offbeat and peculiar puzzle game takes a ridiculous concept and manages to shape it into a shockingly deep, balanced, and varied low-key masterpiece. I was looking forward to checking this game out since it was shown off, but I never expected it to be this good. Don’t sleep on Sushi Striker, but be mindful that you’ll probably really want to eat sushi after playing it for a while.

Nintendo Life - 80
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido is a crazy, over-the-top experience that gets better the more you play. The game feels incredibly polished, with a mostly satisfying battle system that gets surprisingly deep, and beautifully presented cutscenes that progress the story along nicely. The focus here is definitely on the lengthy campaign, although we can imagine top online players becoming intensely competitive with practice. It might not be able to completely blow you away, but our playthrough has left us with a pleasingly satisfying aftertaste. Make sure to give this a go if you’re intrigued.

Fmy0q2Z.png

Main theme

How to play

Official Game Trailer

Treehouse Demonstration

WaterAstro

Holy geez, I just looked up the price. $50 for a match three type of game? Well, it's not exactly match three, but it's like that kind of puzzle game.

It looks fun, but I don't think that's the kind of price people go for with those kinds of games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Theme is SO CATCHY. I absolutely adore it.

My kids have been playing the demo on Switch since it came out on the eShop. I'll likely pick it up by the end of June. Excellent puzzle games are in short supply and I think this one is a winner.

Zannegan

Holy geez, I just looked up the price. $50 for a match three type of game? Well, it's not exactly match three, but it's like that kind of puzzle game.

It looks fun, but I don't think that's the kind of price people go for with those kinds of games.

This is definitely true for me. I plan on playing this some day, but at a price closer to $20 or $30. Given that this is a first party Nintendo game, who knows when that will be though. The reviews I've read are really positive though. The Gamexplain guys loved it.

I enjoyed some of the gameplay from the demo but had to start skipping the story elements as they became nearly as intolerable as the puyopuyo-tetris cutscenes. Unfortunately for Sushi Striker I love Tetris more and I put up with it there, but I am not picking this up at the moment.

Top Bottom