• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sushi-X Returns

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
disappeared said:
The Japanese don't eat meatloaf. :lol

And americans don't eat anything but hamburgers and pizza I suppose?

I live in Japan you silly turd ;)

MC Safety

SailorDaravon said:
So is this like, the original then? If multiple people used the name, what everyone is associating with Sushi-X represents several different people. Sooooo...

The character began in committee, as I've heard it told. And there was no "original" Sushi-X, although certain people were assigned the role for periods of time. It was just a name and a funny picture, and whatever sort of backstory people wanted to give the character.

I think it would be cooler to keep the mystique intact, but since a few others have pulled the curtain and unceremoniously stripped the legend, I can say that even I was Sushi-X for a few of his last appearances at GameNow.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
disappeared said:
The Japanese don't eat meatloaf. :lol
japanesemeatloaf.jpg

Don't they?

TheTrin said:
And americans don't eat anything but hamburgers and pizza I suppose?

I don't know... I'm Canadian, lol. But seriously, is meatloaf even a food in Japan? My host mom never ever made it when I was there for a year.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
disappeared said:
I don't know... I'm Canadian, lol. But seriously, is meatloaf even a food in Japan? My host mom never ever made it when I was there for a year.

Yep. Case closed. Your host mom makes all food that Japanese people have at their disposal. NOTHING TO SEE HERE GUYS!

Btw, rk, why did you just post a photo of okanamiyaki being cooked? Shouldn't you be beating FF3?

thetrin

disappeared said:
I'm sorry. :(

Haha, don't sweat it. It's just funny being told something I eat once in a while doesn't exist in the country I live in.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TheTrin said:
Btw, rk, why did you just post a photo of okanamiyaki being cooked? Shouldn't you be beating FF3?
御 Honorable
好 Pleasing
み Body
焼 Bake
き Spirit
Sounds like meat-loaf to me.

thetrin

RevenantKioku said:
御 Honorable
好 Pleasing
み Body
焼 Bake
き Spirit
Sounds like meat-loaf to me.

That covers the entire spectrum of grilled foods.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Now this is nostalgia.

Either EGM was way cooler when Sushi X was around, or I was way too young to know any better. Either way, I thought EGM was the shit back in the day.

I would honestly buy a year's subscription to EGM if they gathered up everyone who wanted to meet Sushi X in this place, locked the doors, and flooded the room with Zyklon B while a calm german voice repeated over an intercom system, "Zere ist no zushi-x, eet vast und conglamerate uf editors, vy vould choo eevn care?"

Hopefully they'd hear the message before dying of asphyxiation.

john tv

There is an "original" Sushi-X. His name is David Siller. He wasn't around too long. The guy they're talking about above isn't the original -- he was #2.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
john tv said:
There is an "original" Sushi-X. His name is David Siller. He wasn't around too long. The guy they're talking about above isn't the original -- he was #2.
CJ (that's Chris Johnston to most of you) got an e-mail from David Siller a while back. Apparently, Siller was around until issue #22, which isn't a bad run.

For everyone who doesn't know who Sushi-X is, here's a link to Chris' EGM blog. Lots of interesting tidbits there, and yeah, the Sushi-X at Retroplayer is the second one, Ken Williams.

Also, Che and MC Safety are being quite serious.

adelante

john tv said:
Good god how many of them were there??!? This is by far the best gaming-related news I've of all of 2006!!! They should've gotten them exposed back when EGM hit its 200th issue but no, what we go instead was a feature crap-ass in comparison to the more comprehensive one in 100th.

winter said:
I thought Sushi-X was a bunch of writers under one pseudonym.

The clincher for me when I was younger was an anniversary article they did, where they said that Sushi-X was pictured somewhere in it. I also had an old EGM on-hand, which had some supposed depiction of him as well (I think caricatures of the four reviewers), and it didn't match up to anyone present.

Of course, thinking back now, the caricature could've been a semi-generic one, maybe not current for which reviewers were in the issue, but it was a pretty stable bunch at that point. But to hear that so many people used the nickname... wow. Childhood crushed. Well, a tiny bit of it, anyway.

adelante

Whimsical Phil said:
CJ (that's Chris Johnston to most of you) got an e-mail from David Siller a while back. Apparently, Siller was around until issue #22, which isn't a bad run.

For everyone who doesn't know who Sushi-X is, here's a link to Chris' EGM blog. Lots of interesting tidbits there, and yeah, the Sushi-X at Retroplayer is the second one, Ken Williams.

Wow thanks for the link!

Hahaha "Bubsy 3D looks like such SHIT!" And I still have that issue....

john tv

Whimsical Phil said:

The comments on that post are hilarious. Especially these:

CJ's Blog said:
If you ask Siller as well, he will tell you that he invented and created Crash Bandicoot and a bunch of other games for developers that hated him.

The guy is a tool.

Hell, he talks about himself in the third person.
Anonymous | 03.30.06 - 7:54 pm | #
I dunno who posted that, but I was thinking the exact same thing -- why was he referring to himself in the third person? I've heard similar Siller-isms over the years, BTW. He used to go around telling people he created the concept of video game reviews. :lol

Also, I don't buy the Terry Aki and Sam Rye thing, but who knows. MC Safety, don't you work with Dave Halverson? You might want to ask him what he knows about that.

CJ's Blog said:
Siller is personal friend of mine from the EGM days and this story checks out. He is good creative and his historical knowledge of games is amazing.

As far as arrogant snot-nosed developers who have no roots in gaming not liking him. No surprise there. The industry is swarming with jaded newbs who think they are rock stars churning out crap product.

Ask yourself why is it that only 5-10% of the games make any money and the rest are huge flops?

Guys like Siller bring common sense and simple fun back to the games business.
Anonymous | 06.30.06 - 4:30 pm | #
CJ, you should trace the IP of that poster to see if it was Siller himself... :lol

COCKLES

being watched
negitoro7 said:
I'd have to change my pants if this Sushi-X announcement was also accompanied by "Sushi-X confirms that Street Fighter IV is currently in development, with pics".

With a 360 vs PS3 blue-shadows controversey thrown in for good measure. :lol

I always ignored Sushi-X content because I felt it was being written by someone acting as a character instead of someone voicing real opinions.

Kinda like Drinky.

Whimsical Phil

john tv said:
The comments on that post are hilarious. Especially these:

I dunno who posted that, but I was thinking the exact same thing -- why was he referring to himself in the third person? I've heard similar Siller-isms over the years, BTW. He used to go around telling people he created the concept of video game reviews. :lol
Wow...looks like I missed out on some extra funny by not reading the comments. It's also humorous that he's apprently claimed to have created the concept of game reviews and come up with the idea to use the Famitsu style reviews in EGM. So, what, did he come up with the concept of reviews for Famitsu and then decide to steal the concept for EGM?

SuperPac

john tv said:
CJ, you should trace the IP of that poster to see if it was Siller himself... :lol

Haha. Actually I got an e-mail after that exchange in the comments from Siller asking me to just take down the story. So it could be... :D

But anyway, you guys know what this is, right? Some of the old old old EGM crew is doing a new website/magazine. The person that most people would identify as "Sushi-X" is, I'm pretty sure, a part of it.

john tv

SuperPac said:
But anyway, you guys know what this is, right? Some of the old old old EGM crew is doing a new website/magazine. The person that most people would identify as "Sushi-X" is, I'm pretty sure, a part of it.
They had a website up around E3 but it had a whopping one update before it died out for like three or four months. I find it interesting that David Siller says he has the rights to Sushi-X, when these guys have a little "TM" mark on their party invite. Will Sushi #1 and Sushi #2 face off in court in a battle to the death?? Ohh, the drama! LEGALITY! I fear for both of 'em if Ziff's lawyers get involved.

BTW, I'm flattered to see my name in the list of suspected Sushis there on wiki, but unfortunately, I never played the part. I edited all of his reviews when I was Reviews Editor, and It's possible I wrote a review or two for him when in the waning months of his EGM existence, but I certainly never played an active role. I was one of the ones who wanted him out.

BTW, didn't KLee play Sushi for a little while? My memory of that period is kinda hazy, but I thought he took part in the fun for a bit before he left the mag.

Mar

I said wow.

I never had any idea Sushi-X was a bunch of random people. It comes as a bit of a shock. Sure I haven't read an EGM for probably 8 years or something, but back in the original days of the magazine I was an EGM fanboy. I thought I knew everything!

These days the only print media I buy is Retrogamer (subscribed), and the occasional Edge. But man, back then I literaly had towers of EGM magazines reaching from the floor to the ceiling.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Isn't SF4 a dead duck, since Capcom USA owns exclusive world wide rights to Street Fighter, wouldn't Capcom Japan have to go back and relicense SF from Capcom USA to produce the game?

And if Capcom USA is making SF4, isn't that going to result in complete and utter crap?

SuperPac

Some new info on the Sushi-X return plus... the old EGMers are doind a Wii60 magazine, apparently. Crazy! A multi-platform magazine that excludes what will probably be the biggest platform... hmm.

Sushi-X Press Release said:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sushi-X Returns to Take Over the Video Game Industry

Good morning and prepare yourself for return of the legend behind the mask. He's brutal. He's brutally honest. He's the hero of the gaming public for he never leads them astray. He will slice and dice any mediorce crap that the industry tries to push on the unsuspecting and most beloved video gaming public. He is the lover of all things fighting, and hater of all things that suck. He's Sushi-X!

Sushi-X was originally created by David Siller as a moniker to review games on the infamous Electronic Gaming Monthly Review Crew back in the early 90's while working with the fledgling Sendai Publications. When David went on to pursue a career in video game development, the mantle of power was passed to a young man known as Ken Williams.

Ken Williams became the Sushi-X that the video game public came to know, trust and love over the next ten years. With reviews as honest as the heart of a child and fearless as a dragon, he laid waste to garbage product and praised without abandon the finest treasures this industry is capable of putting forth. Just ask Acclaim about his review of NES Total Recall... That is the stuff of legends and many threats to pull advertising dollars. Even a huge Hollywood license couldn't stand the onslaught of his honesty and the gaming public acted with trust and kept their money where it belongs on that title, in their wallets.

Oh, and don't forget the Shen Long April Fool's joke for Street Fighter II in EGM. People still talk about that wickedly funny prank he played on the entire gaming world!

Massive Impact is proud to announce that both David Siller (the creator) and Ken Williams (the real Sushi-X) have teamed up with Trickman Terry and Martin Alessi, both formerly of EGM, to make sure our properties bring the enlightenment of the legendary Sushi-X back in full force through the mediums of print and interactive content.

Our premier site and upcoming magazine Retro Player http://www.retroplayer.tv deals with playing, collecting, and appraising the games of the 80's and 90's both domestic and imported.

The next publication is a bold step for Massive Impact and Sushi-X as we will soon formally announce Wii60 Player, a magazine devoted to fans of the Nintendo Wii and the Microsoft Xbox 360 ONLY.

There will be no mention of Sony in this publication, unless it is with irreverence and brutality as Sushi-X is not happy with the treatment of players nor the industry with their less than honorable business and marketing tactics. Besides, why pay $600 for a PS3, when you can have the best of both worlds and get a Wii and a 360 for the same price? Hence the Wii60 movement started by gamers http://www.wii60.com will be championed by Sushi-X himself as we do what other gaming publications will honor and respect for generations to come. More about that later... this is Sushi-X's time to shine!

Thanks to all the beautiful and hard working people that make this industry a pleasure to be a part of and look out!!!

For this generation of gaming needs a hero... and Sushi-X is it!

Join the X-Clan at Sushi-X.tv to get more news and updates on this amazing and influential industry veteran as he attempts to take over the video game industry once again. Sushi-X is also available at http://www.myspace.com/therealsushix

snatches

SuperPac said:
Some new info on the Sushi-X return plus... the old EGMers are doind a Wii60 magazine, apparently. Crazy! A multi-platform magazine that excludes what will probably be the biggest platform... hmm.

awesome. I loved the old egm as a kid even if the painful infancy of the industry obviously affected its quality. It reminds me that I have grown up along with the games industry and nostalgia is a beautiful thing. I hope they shake up the industry a bit and pull no punches. And Wii60 FTMFW. That will be classic when I actually see that mag on shelves.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Matix said:
So Superman = Clark Kent, Spider-Man = Peter Parker, and Sushi-X (#?) = Che Chou, it all makes since now :D :D !!

Dude, if he takes off the glasses, and puts on the suit....HE LOOKS THE PART! Amazing we never came to that conclusion before now!

Sushi-X!

I just got all my old EGMs from my other place. Once I get my digicam back on Friday, I'll try upload some classic Sushi-X pictures and blurbs.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sounds good... Retro Gamer is one of the few game mags I read nowadays, something like this except not so biased toward the UK side of things would be perfect for me. Long Live Sushi-X!

YakiSOBA

Holy crap Sushi-X! That's oldschool woah...

I remember this one issue of EGM where they showed a bunch of wrestlers icon for some WWF game, and on one of the wrestlers the icon was all black, but if you looked at it from an angle you saw a NINJA!

Wow... I just read that last press release.

Sushi-X returns to work on a Wii60 magazine?

Talk about a weak trend to base half of your return on. Especially after Reggie stomped on it, and Peter ceded to it or whatever.

Anti-Sony Wii60 fanboy Sushi-X = The lose.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I loved how each issue was like 700 pages back in the day. Really felt like I was getting my moneys worth.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I still have the infamous EGM with Xmen COTA (I think that's what it was) on the cover, the "LARGEST" EGM ever. Can't even remember how many pages that was...

Whimsical Phil

SuperPac said:
Yeah, I'm not too sure that starting a magazine based on a personal grudge against a corporation's marketing tactics is such a good idea. Seems like you'd really be excluding an awful lot of potential customers.

And wasn't it Ken Williams' version of Sushi-X that hated the Game Boy back in the day? Like, he would mention in his reviews that he was deliberately giving games lower scores just because they were on the system? That personal grudge certainly worked out; that Game Boy thing never really took off...

SuperPac

Whimsical Phil said:
Yeah, I'm not too sure that starting a magazine based on a personal grudge against a corporation's marketing tactics is such a good idea. Seems like you'd really be excluding an awful lot of potential customers.

Yeah, that's my feeling on it too. It's an interesting idea, but a multiplatform magazine that excludes the most popular platform is, IMO, ill-conceived (to put it lightly).

And wasn't it Ken Williams' version of Sushi-X that hated the Game Boy back in the day? Like, he would mention in his reviews that he was deliberately giving games lower scores just because they were on the system? That personal grudge certainly worked out; that Game Boy thing never really took off...

And what's worse is that it seems Sushi-X is the determinant voice of the magazine. "Sushi-X doesn't like it, we don't cover it!" and that kind of thing. He was always a character on EGM or GameNOW but his sphere of influence was much smaller, which is what I think made him work. Frankly, I always thought Sushi-X's hatred of Game Boy was ridiculously biased and plainly stupid, considering that some of the best games of the time were on GB.

I'm interested to see what these guys come up with, but the market is completely different than it was back then.

Top Bottom