• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suspected Russian mini sub found in Swedish waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

Found by a private salvage company Ocean X Team.

nwsKx2N.jpg

P R E S S R E L E A S E 2015-07-27

A Russian mini-submarine has been discovered at Swedish territorial waters not far from the Swedish coast. The submarine is about 20 meters long and three and a half meters wide. It is unclear how old the submarine is and how long it has been laying at the sea floor, but the Cyrillic letters on the hull indicates that it is Russian.

The discovery was made previous week by the Ocean X Team and Ixplorer.

– The submarine is completely intact, have no visible damage to the hull and the hatches are closed. Therefore do we fear that the crew have not been able to save them self when the sub went down, says Stefan Hogeborn, divers in Ocean X Team.

The submarine was found during an expedition where a camera equipped, unmanned mini-submarine of the model ROV, Remote Operated Vehicle, was sent down.

Swedish Armed Forces was informed earlier today.

Ocean X Team is now preparing for a new expedition, divers will be sent down to film and to investigate the submarine wreck more closely.

Ocean X Team has previously made several discoveries such as shipwrecks and historical objects, including bottles of champagne from 1916 and the circular of the Baltic Sea Phenomenon etc.

See moving pictures of the discovery site here, Expressen: http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/frammande-ubat-hittad-i-svenskt-vatten/
http://www.oceanexplorer.se/

645@70.jpg

645@70.jpg

645@70.jpg

645@70.jpg

645@70.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Again with this shit, Russia? Get out of our water you poopheads.

Edit: Wait it's full of dead people?

I would suggest it could be a drug running vessel but then I'm not sure anyone would need to go to that length to smuggle drugs in or out of russia

Is this related to the sub-hunt that went down a while ago? Could've sworn there was some search going on in Scandinavia.

But yea, walking on egg-shells here fellas, not a good time to be caught trespassing.

Forsete

Again with this shit, Russia? Get out of our water you poopheads.

Edit: Wait it's full of dead people?

They dont know.
No one knows how old it is though. Some military expert is being interviewed on Expressen TV right now.

Is this the submarine they were looking for months ago?

I would suggest it could be a drug running vessel but then I'm not sure anyone would need to go to that length to smuggle drugs in or out of russia
I'm going to guess there are easier ways to get drugs in or out of either Sweden or Russia then a submarine.

Forsete

Is this related to the sub-hunt that went down a while ago? Could've sworn there was some search going on in Scandinavia.

But yea, walking on egg-shells here fellas, not a good time to be caught trespassing.

Is it the sub they were searching for a year ago?

Its probably a older sub. We will see what the military says, if they can identify it. They were only notified today.

Savitar

News just in!

According to Russia Ukraine terrorist have planted a fake Russian submarine off Sweden for authorities to find.

When reached for comment Putin was found naked on his bear skin rug talking about the evils against his beloved country.

Zubz

Banned
Between Russia being Russia or this being a ship full of dead people, I can't think of a reason for this sub being found there without it being unsettling.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That or they suffocated from lack of air.

Either fate is not pleasant to experience.

Isn't lack of oxygen the better way to go though? You'd fall asleep as the oxygen levels kept dropping and then essentially die in your sleep. Better than dying in panic as you drown that's for damn sure.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Isn't lack of oxygen the better way to go though? You'd fall asleep as the oxygen levels kept dropping and then essentially die in your sleep. Better than dying in panic as you drown that's for damn sure.

no, because when you die from asphyxiation from lack of oxygen/high levels of CO2 your body goes into a kind of panic mode. you start involuntarily gasping for air.

Savitar

no, because when you die from asphyxiation from lack of oxygen/high levels of CO2 your body goes into a kind of panic mode. you start involuntarily gasping for air.

Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at with that one.

People have been known to go nuts and make a bad situation even worse. Doesn't help if you panic you may use up more air which can cost everyone should rescue be on it's way and every breath is important.

That sounds terrifying D:

Submariners are a special kind of crazy. I doubt i could do it as a job.

As someone said earlier there may be a chance the sub detected last year was searching for this one so hopefully it's empty but chances are it isn't unfortunately. I can't see them recuing the crew and leaving the sub there for a year. Maybe it was an automated trial?

It'll be interesting to see how much corrosion or concretion is present to help determine it's age. It looked pretty clean to me which would make it pretty recent i'd assume.

I was talking about a dedicated vessel rather than an on-board unit. Subs aren't painted yellow. It's a pretty conspicuous colour.

If you mean a rescue sub from a surface ship, the Russian DSRV's are 13.5m long, not 20m. They are marked with bright orange with white stripes and look like this :

russian_as34_2.jpg

The colour of this sub is partly due to the strong illumination from the lights. In reality it's probably a more neutral colour.

This is a British WWI submarine, but it wasn't painted bright yellow.

eGZydnVvMTI=_o_sunken-ww1-british-submarine-found.jpg

Forsete

The guys are very cryptic about how they found this sub.
Seems they got the position of this sub from someone. But who? :p

So is this what they were looking for?

Probably, it looks recent. And they are searching this area for a reason...

October 17-24, 2014
A large military operation is launched to search for an allegedly damaged submarine in Kanholmsfjärden in the Stockholm archipelago. Encrypted transmissions sent on an emergency radio frequency used by Russian units were recorded. The sources of the transmissions were identified as a submarine and a military site in the Kaliningrad region.

Also
There were also suggestions that the Russian Oil-tanker NS Concord was involved as a mother-ship for smaller underwater vehicles as it maintained a pattern of criss-crossing outside Stockholm during the investigation.

I think that in my top 'worst ways to die' list. I've had nightmares about being trapped on a sub with no way out. It's like going into space and getting thrown from the ship and just drifting until you die.

Kinyou

– The submarine is completely intact, have no visible damage to the hull and the hatches are closed. Therefore do we fear that the crew have not been able to save them self when the sub went down, says Stefan Hogeborn, divers in Ocean X Team.
Imagine if there's still someone in there.

Like, surving through cannibalism or something. And making air.... somehow

Forsete

Probably, it looks recent. And they are searching this area for a reason...

Also

Didn't the navy later say they didn't know anything about a emergency signal? Also the NS Concord was said to be drifting because it was waiting for cargo (according to her own crew at least, maybe to be taken with a pinch of salt).

But at least the navy said it was 99% sure they were hunting a sub, based on what the anti-sub detection systems had picked up.

Coins

Banned
Found one Russian sub that's dead in the water.

Meanwhile, Russia has a sub or two in your waters everyday. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom