• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden-GAF |OT| I'd Say It's Pretty Lagom

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Homonymns exist in English too. And even words like 'roll' have a lot of different meanings.

Yeah, but then we also inflect it differently depending on which "val" it is.

whale, the whale, whales, the whales = val, valen, valar, valarna
choice, the choice, choices, the choices = val, valet, val, valen

Stuff like that must be hell for someone trying to learn Swedish.

Zeppelin

Good evening Sweden-GAF! I'm sitting here with a glass of hard liquor, celebrating lill-lördag. feelgoodman.jpg

Also, had an interview with the company that makes these today:

gripen_g53-57.jpg

Went smooth.

Natetan

Yeah, but then we also inflect it differently depending on which "val" it is.

whale, the whale, whales, the whales = val, valen, valar, valarna
choice, the choice, choices, the choices = val, valet, val, valen

Stuff like that must be hell for someone trying to learn Swedish.

Japanese has a lot of words like that too. Hashi (chopstick) hashi( bridge) and hashi (edge) all with different inflection. The kanji are all different though and Japanese fortunately doesn't have articles (or genders for that matter) or plurals which makes it a lot easier so

Hashi= bridge, a bridge, bridges, the bridges

berg ark

One thing that is pretty unique for Swedish is the phenomenon of having the same word, but laying weight on different parts of the word (can't remember what the name of the concept is, sorry, help?)

example:

tomTEN and tOMten
santa claus and the site, land, area

and

ANden and anDEN
the duck and the spirit, the ghost

must be pretty hard for a non native to distinguish the difference

BONUS:

since i saw some nice jases here is a pretty cool video of a Swedish fighter jet pilots perspective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-viphx_j2M

waypoetic

Banned
Good evening Sweden-GAF! I'm sitting here with a glass of hard liquor, celebrating lill-lördag. feelgoodman.jpg

gripen_g53-57.jpg

Went smooth.

Interview as in a job-interview? Or do you work for the media and asked them why we are selling weapons of mass destruction?

Japanese has a lot of words like that too. Hashi (chopstick) hashi( bridge) and hashi (edge) all with different inflection. The kanji are all different though and Japanese fortunately doesn't have articles (or genders for that matter) or plurals which makes it a lot easier so

Hashi= bridge, a bridge, bridges, the bridges

I studied Japanese for a year and after a while when the grammar clicked I realized how much easier it is than Swedish. However, as you say, there are tons of homonyms but the kanji are there to fix that. An example our teacher had was "niwa ni wa niwa niwatori ga iru" which means "there's two chickens in the garden". With kana (phonetic writing) it's "にわにはにわにわとりがいる" while with kanji it's "庭には二羽鶏がいる". Even though they are homonyms you can see a clear difference with the kanji while in Swedish you have to figure it out with the context. For example, "tomten är grön" might mean both "Santa is green" and "the garden is clean". If it's spoken there is a very slight difference in pronounciation, though. (EDIT: berg ark talks about this in his post.)

Oh, and if anyone here is thinking of learning Swedish you must know about sär skrivning.

nubbe

såhär är det

torsdag är lill-lördag för då är man svinbakis på en fredag och det är bara några timmars lidande på jobbet tills man får ta sig återställare.

super man ner sig på en onsdag så är man bakis på en torsdag så är det skitjobbig för man har ytterligare en arbetsdag kvar.

eller...?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rrkoRFeoZE

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So pathetic. Half Swedish, been to the country at least once a year and spoken the language all my life. Yet I suck at reading and writing it. Above post just reminded me of that fact.

Natetan

I studied Japanese for a year and after a while when the grammar clicked I realized how much easier it is than Swedish. However, as you say, there are tons of homonyms but the kanji are there to fix that. An example our teacher had was "niwa ni wa niwa niwatori ga iru" which means "there's two chickens in the garden". With kana (phonetic writing) it's "にわにはにわにわとりがいる" while with kanji it's "庭には二羽鶏がいる". Even though they are homonyms you can see a clear difference with the kanji while in Swedish you have to figure it out with the context. For example, "tomten är grön" might mean both "Santa is green" and "the garden is clean". If it's spoken there is a very slight difference in pronounciation, though. (EDIT: berg ark talks about this in his post.)

Oh, and if anyone here is thinking of learning Swedish you must know about sär skrivning.

yeah it's true, that's why spoken japanese can be hard to understand sometimes. People will be like 'hashi? *head tilt* OHHHH haSHI!'

I know that the US occupation forces were considering switching japanese to all romaji like turkey did when they switched from arabic writing system. It would be basically impossible (or more like swedish :) ) if they did that.

Swedish seems pretty tough.

yeah it's true, that's why spoken japanese can be hard to understand sometimes. People will be like 'hashi? *head tilt* OHHHH haSHI!'

I know that the US occupation forces were considering switching japanese to all romaji like turkey did when they switched from arabic writing system. It would be basically impossible (or more like swedish :) ) if they did that.

They'd be worse off, since Swedish has a lot more syllables than Japanese and I'm fairly sure they have shorter words in general, so there'd be a lot more homonyms. I remember the Japanese pronounciation was a breeze for everyone in my class since every sound existed in the Swedish language, or if it didn't it was very similar to one we already had. We only had some problems with "fu", but that was pretty easily learnt. The Japanese exchange students I've met have trouble pronouncing Swedish, since we have a lot of sounds they don't have.

Yeah, it really is. Not to me since I'm a native speaker, but I recognize its irregularity and difficulty. To start with, we have "en" and "ett" which means "a" or "an", but we don't really have any rules for when to use them. As an example, "Book" and "table" is "bok" and "bord" in Swedish. They both start with the same syllable, but we say "en bok" and "ett bord". There's no real logic in which one to use, we swedes just go by what sounds "right". To make it even more complicated, it can change if you combine two words. "A ball" is "en boll", but "a ballplank" (a wall of planks you kick footballs against) is not "en bollplank" but "ett bollplank", even though it starts with the same word as "en boll". It doesn't even make sense to us swedes, and unfortunately you're a bit ridiculed if you happen to say it wrong, even as a foreigner.

They'd be worse off, since Swedish has a lot more syllables than Japanese and I'm fairly sure they have shorter words in general, so there'd be a lot more homonyms. I remember the Japanese pronounciation was a breeze for everyone in my class since every sound existed in the Swedish language, or if it didn't it was very similar to one we already had. We only had some problems with "fu", but that was pretty easily learnt. The Japanese exchange students I've met have trouble pronouncing Swedish, since we have a lot of sounds they don't have.

Yeah, it really is. Not to me since I'm a native speaker, but I recognize its irregularity and difficulty. To start with, we have "en" and "ett" which means "a" or "an", but we don't really have any rules for when to use them. As an example, "Book" and "table" is "bok" and "bord" in Swedish. They both start with the same syllable, but we say "en bok" and "ett bord". There's no real logic in which one to use, we swedes just go by what sounds "right". To make it even more complicated, it can change if you combine two words. "A ball" is "en boll", but "a ballplank" (a wall of planks you kick footballs against) is not "en bollplank" but "ett bollplank", even though it starts with the same word as "en boll". It doesn't even make sense to us swedes, and unfortunately you're a bit ridiculed if you happen to say it wrong, even as a foreigner.

Doesn't that have to do with the definiteness of the noun? To use your example "bord" becomes "bordet" and therefore it is "ett bord". "Boll" is "bollen" which becomes "en boll" etc.

(I have no idea if I used the correct English terms, but I hope you get what I mean.)

Doesn't that have to do with the definiteness of the noun? To use your example "bord" becomes "bordet" and therefore it is "ett bord". "Boll" is "bollen" which becomes "en boll" etc.

(I have no idea if I used the correct English terms, but I hope you get what I meant.)

Hmm, you're probably right. I hated when we had grammar in school, so I never really paid much attention. When I started studying Japanese I realized how useful it could be, so I regret I didn't pay more attention before.

So pathetic. Half Swedish, been to the country at least once a year and spoken the language all my life. Yet I suck at reading and writing it. Above post just reminded me of that fact.
Similar situation as you (although I'm a full Swede), and it definitely takes me longer to read something in Swedish, especially when there is grammar or vocabulary that just doesn't come up in everyday conversation (outside of Sweden). To be fair, though, he used some slang, so that would make it trickier to understand if you aren't immersed in the culture. Took me a second to realize that "bakis" = bakfull. :p

Jag har också lärt mig ett nytt ord, "återställare"!

Haha, I remember when I used to be afraid of kanji, and wished everything was in hiragana... Now it's like, "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!?"
Playing hiragana-only games is headache-inducing.

I wonder how a Swedish accent would sound in Japanese...

Paertan

http://www.x-plane.org/home/urf/aviation/img/saab/gripen/gall99/gripen_g53-57.jpg

Went smooth.

I already work for them =) Can't say with exactly what because of NDA:s and such but I hope you get the job. In what city will you be working if you get it?

Thursday today, should be eating peasoup and pancakes for lunch.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Shiver

Thread subscribed. Swedish GAF, I have questions!! I have a job offer in Lund that I am strongly considering. Position would start next year and I'm coming from Toronto.

What kind of job? I live in Lund and there are a lot of people from other countries working and living here. Some companies can offer som help finding a place to live.

-KRS-

(I have no idea if I used the correct English terms, but I hope you get what I mean.)

Yes you're right. That's the rule I use if I have problems.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Smått bakfull på jobbet här. Middag och en sväng till Soap bar, men besinnade mig och gick hem tidigt.

Xint

Oh my goodness, a fellow monster hunter (I assume that's Nargacuga) and living in Umeå as well? o_O Impossibru! Those people only exist in America and Japan!

Btw, do we have any guys or girls from Oslo here (not Swedish but Scandinavian)? Used to live there for three years, lovely place and has some really nice concert venues (Blå, Garage, The Villa and others).

Btw2, shouldn't this be in the OT Community?
Yeah, it's Narga. Know of at least one more GAFer from Umeå who hunts! Good stuff

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
If there's anything that is as Swedish as the flag itself it's getting drunk on a Wednesday. Damn, I need to step up my drinking game.

aku:jiki

If there's anything that is as Swedish as the flag itself it's getting drunk on a Wednesday. Damn, I need to step up my drinking game.
Fuck that, it's a "tradition" that's less than 10 years old. You young whippersnappers better stay off my lawn when you're drunk!

antipod

About that, saw on the news yesterday about a school in Skövde where there was a 'tradition' to come to the first day after summer drunk.

Seriously...

waypoetic

Banned
Drinking on weekdays in this country is frowned upon when you're young, but when you're hitting those golden days it's pretty much a daily routine to poor a glass of whiskey.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Another Örebroare huh? I'm back from work... never drink on a Wednesday again.
Jag vill festa med dig nån gång, och snacka om Marineking hela kvällen.
I would looooooooove to do that, I could talk about foxer for an eternity

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Another Örebroare huh? I'm back from work... never drink on a Wednesday again.

I would looooooooove to do that, I could talk about foxer for an eternity

I could join and talk about the one time I raxxed my own ramp AFTER the opponent sent in his zerglings...

it.. was not a pretty sight.

Yoshichan

I could join and talk about the one time I raxxed my own ramp AFTER the opponent sent in his zerglings...

it.. was not a pretty sight.
Corky you could talk about the time you beat me 60 (?) battles in a row in SSFIV XD

Good times... let's repeat that again someday!

Ledsen

Come on guys, go to EviLore's travel thread and give him some tips on what to do! He's currently sick in Uppsala but is thinking about seeing some mountains and the like when he gets well. Represent our country guys! :p

waypoetic

Banned
Come on guys, go to EviLore's travel thread and give him some tips on what to do! He's currently sick in Uppsala but is thinking about seeing some mountains and the like when he gets well. Represent our country guys! :p

But i am skitdålig på tourist tips!

Top Bottom