• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish retailer lists Demon's Souls 2 and Evolve(?) for PS4

Hmm, CBOAT wouldn't know anything of this by chance now, would he?

Cboat intel is mostly MS.

Ha that was wrong but come on its pretty minuscule. I am only telling you what people tell me. They said yeah its real but its likely going to have a different name. So thats what I told you guys. People have to realize that when any of us get information we don't know how old it was. Plus stuff shifts in this industry quicker than almost any other just look at the Xbone 180. We just tell you what we hear. How much credit you give is up to you.

Kyon

Banned
Yes, but working on two installments in the exact same series at the same time is foolish and stupid. Especially when the second game hasn't even come out yet, nor does it even have a release date. Namco is a shitty publisher, but they're not that shitty that they'd make FROM develop two games simultaneously. It'd be a waste of manpower and ideas.

its not a waste of time though its about money

its not a waste of time though its about money

And Namco doesn't even know if DS2 is going to do well, or if the new consoles are even going to catch on. Greenlighting a more expensive next-gen sequel ahead of time would be incredibly stupid of them.

Kyon

Banned
And Namco doesn't even know if DS2 is going to do well, or if the new consoles are even going to catch on. Greenlighting a more expensive next-gen sequel ahead of time would be incredibly stupid of them.

give me some of what you're smoking because there is no way in hell PS4 and XBone arent gonna light up the charts.

Also Dark Souls 2 will sell well idk how you're even questioning these things.

Also how exactly would you know what's financially smart for them in the upcoming generation? From wouldnt be paying for stuff since its a Sony IP and Sony would be pouring money into the project so its not like they have to worry about a "more expensive next gen sequel"

Krakn3Dfx

This would be pretty awesome, hope it's true. If Demon's Souls 2 ended up being a late 2014/early 2015 release, it would be even better, since the fire around Dark Souls 2 will be dying down right about then.

give me some of what you're smoking because there is no way in hell PS4 and XBone arent gonna light up the charts.

Also Dark Souls 2 will sell well idk how you're even questioning these things.

It's not about questioning things. It's just smart business sense to not throw money into the void without reason. The economy is still shit, and none of the next-gen consoles that have already released have taken off. And DS2 is coming out after the next-gen launch.

It's smart to at least be wary, and not waste tons of money on developing two sequels simultaneously. Namco doesn't work that way.

Also how exactly would you know what's financially smart for them in the upcoming generation? From wouldnt be paying for stuff since its a Sony IP and Sony would be pouring money into the project so its not like they have to worry about a "more expensive next gen sequel"

I wasn't talking about Sony. I was talking about Namco and a theoretical Dark Souls 3. SCE would definitely want FROM on their side for Demon's Souls 2, but Namco would be stupid to have Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 in production at the same time.

Yes, but working on two installments in the exact same series at the same time is foolish and stupid. Especially when the second game hasn't even come out yet, nor does it even have a release date. Namco is a shitty publisher, but they're not that shitty that they'd make FROM develop two games simultaneously. It'd be a waste of manpower and ideas.

Namco isn't the publisher of the PS4 game. Sony is.

Namco can't dictate what other teams inside FROM do.

A lot of you guys think these corporations have this insane amount of power... like the people who think that microsoft is going to force PS4 ports to be shitty. Take off the tinfoil hats, folks. Namco and FROM have a deal for Dark Souls. Dark Souls is where that deal begins and ends. Namco doesn't get to say what the rest of their studio does.

Kyon

Banned
It's not about questioning things. It's just smart business sense to not throw money into the void without reason. The economy is still shit, and none of the next-gen consoles that have already released have taken off. And DS2 is coming out after the next-gen launch.

It's smart to at least be wary, and not waste tons of money on developing two sequels simultaneously. Namco doesn't work that way.

I wasn't talking about Sony. I was talking about Namco and a theoretical Dark Souls 3. SCE would definitely want FROM on their side for Demon's Souls 2, but Namco would be stupid to have Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 in production at the same time.

Demons Souls is not Dark Souls 3 or related to it. Also Namco has 0 power on the matter. They dont own FROM

Namco isn't the publisher of the PS4 game. Sony is.

Namco can't dictate what other teams inside FROM do.

A lot of you guys think these corporations have this insane amount of power... like the people who think that microsoft is going to force PS4 ports to be shitty. Take off the tinfoil hats, folks. Namco and FROM have a deal for Dark Souls. Dark Souls is where that deal begins and ends. Namco doesn't get to say what the rest of their studio does.

Demons Souls is not Dark Souls 3 or related to it

I wasn't talking about Demon's Souls 2. I was responding to the people who were thinking FROM would be developing Dark Souls 3 and Dark Souls 2 at the same time. That's ALL I was talking about.

I completely agree that SCE and FROM could have a deal in place for Demon's Souls 2. I just think it's stupid to think Namco would be working with FROM on DeS2 and DeS3 simultaneously.

Even reliable people can get things wrong. Bruce is one to be believed here.

That's really what people NEED to remember.

I am kinda tired of people dropping hints and winking knowingly, but I realise I am alone in that, and that most people like to hear what's on the grapevine, even if it ends up going in another direction.

These insiders are good entertainment, but please people, think about what position they'd have to be in to know what they're talking about, and then compare that to their previous bits of info.

Use some sense.

Demons souls is superior to Dark Souls especially the PvP aspect. So while I will buy DS2 day one, if I ever had to make a choice between the two I would pick Demons souls in a heartbeat.

They are very similar games in most regards, but the PvP is one thing I didn't enjoy in Dark Souls, whereas being invaded was one of the highlights in Demon's. It was just too unbalanced; there was too much customisation and it allowed a massive void between players not due to skill, but because of what equipment they were carrying.

Someone on here mentioned Dragon's Souls a while back. Not sure if they were serious, but that would be awesome, if Sony were to shake things up by changing the theme with each instalment.

However, I would like a Demon's Souls 2 as I'd love to return to Boletaria and find out what happened to the world and the characters. I don't need overt storytelling with a game like this, but I thought characters like Maiden Astraea, Garl Vinland and Yuria were terrific and I'd love to know more about them. I preferred the hub world to Dark Souls' sprawling, intricate layout, but I think that's partly due to finding it easier and more manageable. Even though I got the Platinum in Demon's, Dark Souls just seemed to pound me no matter what direction I went in.

I wasn't talking about Demon's Souls 2. I was responding to the people who were thinking FROM would be developing Dark Souls 3 and Dark Souls 2 at the same time. That's ALL I was talking about.

I completely agree that SCE and FROM could have a deal in place for Demon's Souls 2. I just think it's stupid to think Namco would be working with FROM on DeS2 and DeS3 simultaneously.

I agree; I don't see Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 being in production at the same time - and don't forget we're still, what, nine months from DSII releasing. Most companies don't work that way, outside of a few large franchises like Final Fantasy, COD, Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed, etc.

Interesting that some folk seem to think Deep Down is actually Demon's Souls 2 and Capcom are developing it for Sony. Have they ever done work-for-hire with someone else's IP like that?! From that initial trailer I didn't think it was much like Demon's at all, stylistically or in terms of storytelling.

This is so weird. How would the game differentiate itself from Dark Souls 2 ? Are they just going to make the same game with different levels and a different lore ?

Since Dark Souls has become a thing and From is obviously proud of it, I think the best thing would be to give Demon's Souls to an internal Sony studio so that they give their take on it. The game needs to be different from Dark Souls, without losing what made it awesome in the first place.

This should be a difficult task, but better than simply having two franchises being identical save the name.

I agree; I don't see Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 being in production at the same time - and don't forget we're still, what, nine months from DSII releasing. Most companies don't work that way, outside of a few large franchises like Final Fantasy, COD, Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed, etc.

Interesting that some folk seem to think Deep Down is actually Demon's Souls 2 and Capcom are developing it for Sony. Have they ever done work-for-hire with someone else's IP like that?! From that initial trailer I didn't think it was much like Demon's at all, stylistically or in terms of storytelling.

Capcom has done on-demand development for external firms before, but the tone and structure of the Deep Down trailer definitely doesn't feel like a Souls game. Especially all the talking. Souls games minimize that stuff, they definitely don't script it into encounters.

This is so weird. How would the game differentiate itself from Dark Souls 2 ? Are they just going to make the same game with different levels and a different lore ?

Since Dark Souls has become a thing and From is obviously proud of it, I think the best thing would be to give Demon's Souls to an internal Sony studio so that they give their take on it. The game needs to be different from Dark Souls, without losing what made it awesome in the first place.

This should be a difficult task, but better than simply having two franchises being identical save the name.

Sony doesn't have an internal studio that could make a good Souls game. They have no RPG teams, and especially no action game teams. It would be an utter disaster. And besides, FROM is clearly proud of Demon's Souls too; the only reason Dark Souls even exists is because of DeS in the first place. If Sony asked them, they'd do it.

BadWolf

Huh?

Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP and FROM isn't owned by Namco so they can do whatever the heck they want.

Swede here, take this shit with a massive grain of salt, CDON had World in Conflict for Xbox 360 in their store for like 2 years after it had been officially canceled. Nothing to see here, move along.

Yeah, they still have Overstrike listed for PS3 for example.

vqea.png

Huh?

Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP and FROM isn't owned by Namco so they can do whatever the heck they want.

Like I said before, I'm not talking about Demon's Souls when I mention "the second game". I'm talking about the thought of Namco making FROM develop Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 at the same time being an absolutely asinine concept.

I completely agree that FROM and Sony could team up to make Demon's Souls 2 as their PS4 project to be released after Dark Souls 2 is done. I just don't think FROM would develop DaS2 and DaS3 simultaneously, because it would literally be redundant.

Kyon

Banned

I think everyone needs to remember what game started it all and not give Dark Souls all the credit. The lore in Demon's is different with all these different worlds instead of one. Also the fact that it had a HUB and the Maiden in Black. The NPC's in Demon's also had a big part in its lore. In Dark Souls NPC's really are a secondary thing too. Besides some gameplay mechanics its not really the same. The bonfire system is also a major difference for both of them as well as World Tendancy system

Sullichin

I think everyone needs to remember what game started it all and not give Dark Souls all the credit. The lore in Demon's is different with all these different worlds instead of one. Also the fact that it had a HUB and the Maiden in Black. The NPC's in Demon's also had a big part in its lore. In Dark Souls NPC's really are a secondary thing too. Besides some gameplay mechanics its not really the same. The bonfire system is also a major difference for both of them as well as World Tendancy system

Eh, they don't seem different enough for me to consider them separate series.

Ravage

I'm hoping for a new IP with Souls gameplay and a 'brighter' setting.

I suspect few would share my opinion but as much as i love the combat in the Souls games, I'm just not a fan of overly dark and depressing settings.

I'm hoping for a new IP with Souls gameplay and a 'brighter' setting.

I suspect few would share my opinion but as much as i love the combat in the Souls games, I'm just not a fan of overly dark and depressing settings.

Not to jump down your throat or anything, but I think making it a "brighter" setting would be kind of missing the point, honestly. Demon's Souls was basically a survival horror RPG, and Dark Souls moved away from that a little bit but still kept the dark tone.

If they made it any brighter than the outdoor areas in Dark Souls, it would pretty much just be Dragon's Dogma. And we already have Dragon's Dogma.

The horror elements and the dark fantasy setting are really what set the Souls games apart from the other action RPGs out there right now. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Demon's was a bit different in layout from Dark but come on folks. Dark would have been Demon's Souls 2 if Sony had acted right when they wanted to bring Demon's to the West.

People may not agree with the design decision changes in Dark but the plot is the only thing that truly changed by nature of not being a "true sequel" to Demon's. It wasn't a case where the folks at From decided "okay since this is a spiritual sequel and not a real one let's go slow down the combat and take out the hub world". Dark for all intents and purposes is what Demon's 2 would have played like if From had made that (again, other than plot which could also have changed anyway, see Dark and Dark 2).

I honestly don't want Demon's and Dark at the same time unless Demon's 2 was radically different from Demon's and Dark. And I mean the core mechanics, not the little evolutionary design changes that happened in Dark; like say...King's Field to Demon's Souls, something significant. We haven't played Dark 2 yet so it's a bit premature to assume that it won't play more like Demon's than Dark or vice versa.

On that note I will however take a new King's Field Sony, how about that instead.

Kyon

Banned
Demon's was a bit different in layout from Dark but come on folks. Dark would have been Demon's Souls 2 if Sony had acted right when they wanted to bring Demon's to the West.

People may not agree with the design decision changes in Dark but the plot is the only thing that truly changed by nature of not being a "true sequel" to Demon's. It wasn't a case where the folks at From decided "okay since this is a spiritual sequel and not a real one let's go slow down the combat and take out the hub world". Dark for all intents and purposes is what Demon's 2 would have played like if From had made that (again, other than plot which could also have changed anyway, see Dark and Dark 2).

I honestly don't want Demon's and Dark at the same time unless Demon's 2 was radically different from Demon's and Dark. And I mean the core mechanics, not the little evolutionary design changes that happened in Dark; like say...King's Field to Demon's Souls, something significant. We haven't played Dark 2 yet so it's a bit premature to assume that it won't play more like Demon's than Dark or vice versa.

On that note I will however take a new King's Field Sony, how about that instead.

nope. It's not Demon's 2. They have some of the asthetics the same of course but its not the same. If it werent for Sony owning the IP and them not publishing it would've been closer to Demon's design and not Darks which Demon's is still superior in every way so I cant wait for this.

Yes. It's the same way Mario and Donkey Kong platformers can coexist.

The differences in gameplay mechanics aren't real differences between the two games. It woud be like saying the low number of equipment in Demon's is a unique feature of that game. Or that pvp servers is a unique feature of the Dark series. If Demon's 2 comes out, I'd be willing to bet it will have dedicated servers, but also rechargeable healing/magic and a connected world.

Ravage

Not to jump down your throat or anything, but I think making it a "brighter" setting would be kind of missing the point, honestly. Demon's Souls was basically a survival horror RPG, and Dark Souls moved away from that a little bit but still kept the dark tone.

If they made it any brighter than the outdoor areas in Dark Souls, it would pretty much just be Dragon's Dogma. And we already have Dragon's Dogma.

The horror elements and the dark fantasy setting are really what set the Souls games apart from the other action RPGs out there right now. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

You guys will still get your Dark Souls 3 though :)

You made a good point about DD's similarities but the DS series has better level design and (imo) combat mechanics.

You guys will still get your Dark Souls 3 though :)

You made a good point about DD's similarities but the DS series has better level design and (imo) combat mechanics.

I'd rather get Demon's Souls 2 than Dark Souls 3, personally. I vastly prefer the more horror feel that DeS had compared to the slightly more "stock fantasy" feel of DaS.

Also, I kind of hate Namco Bandai and would prefer Sony profits off of FROM's hard work than NBGI. But that's just me.

Sullichin

It doesn't matter what you think tho. They arent the same lore at all. Dark Souls is a spiritual successor not a sequel.

I'm not seeing it. They are the same thing. Not speaking about the lore, but mechanically. There's going to be changes in any sequel. I agree with InfiniDragon that Dark Souls would have been Demon's Souls 2 if the publishing played out differently. Anyway it doesn't matter. It's just kind of a weird situation. I want any new Souls games by FROM, don't really give a shit what they call it.

arab

ehhh. dark souls improved on everything i hated about demon's souls. hopefully they take some design cues from dark souls and integrate them with demon's 2

Kyon

Banned
ehhh. dark souls improved on everything i hated about demon's souls. hopefully they take some design cues from dark souls and integrate them with demon's 2

hopefully not. I want it to have horror elements again. Open world thing was just shit to me. Also the combat took a horrid turn. The fact that Dark doesn't have the talismans that can do both miracles and spells was also dumb.

nope. It's not Demon's 2. They have some of the asthetics the same of course but its not the same. If it werent for Sony owning the IP and them not publishing it would've been closer to Demon's design and not Darks which Demon's is still superior in every way so I cant wait for this.

Again, what makes you think Sony has any say whatsoever on how the original Dark was designed?

Miyazaki wouldn't have changed ideas and concepts his team was working on for gameplay and design just because they changed the name to get out from under Sony. The ONLY things they had to change were related to lore as Sony would have them trademarked and such.

If you prefer the world and lore of Demon's, great. A lot of people did (I prefer Dark but that's just my thoughts). But to sit there and think the name "Dark Souls" and not being under Sony prevented you from getting the hub-focused fast action sequel of your dreams with grass instead of Estus and all the old spells is delusional because all Dark was as far as those mechanics go, is a name change.

Demon's 2 could have been made instead of Dark and still had slowed down combat, still had a connected world, and still had the spell and item changes. They chose to connect the world. They chose the bonfires. They chose the item usage and combat balance (or lack thereof). Not being Demon's 2 didn't prevent Miyazaki from doing any of those things. Only thing it would have had different was access to the original lore.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing. King's Field was doing Demon's Souls years and years before Demon's Souls as far as mood and setting. So it started it all for From. Demon's just had the critical success.

Kyon

Banned
Again, what makes you think Sony has any say whatsoever on how the original Dark was designed?

Miyazaki wouldn't have changed ideas and concepts his team was working on for gameplay and design just because they changed the name to get out from under Sony. The ONLY things they had to change were related to lore as Sony would have them trademarked and such.

If you prefer the world and lore of Demon's, great. A lot of people did (I prefer Dark but that's just my thoughts). But to sit there and think the name "Dark Souls" and not being under Sony prevented you from getting the hub-focused fast action sequel of your dreams with grass instead of Estus and all the old spells is delusional because all Dark was as far as those mechanics go, is a name change.

Demon's 2 could have been made instead of Dark and still had slowed down combat, still had a connected world, and still had the spell and item changes. They chose to connect the world. They chose the bonfires. They chose the item usage and combat balance (or lack thereof). Not being Demon's 2 didn't prevent Miyazaki from doing any of those things. Only thing it would have had different was access to the original lore.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing. King's Field was doing Demon's Souls years and years before Demon's Souls as far as mood and setting. So it started it all for From. Demon's just had the critical success.

nope. you dont know what a Demons Souls 2 would've been if none of the mess happened.

Then you can't really say stuff like:
If it werent for Sony owning the IP and them not publishing it would've been closer to Demon's design and not Darks which Demon's is still superior in every way so I cant wait for this.

The fact is, nobody knows what "Demon's Souls 2" would have been like. For al we know, it would just be Dark Souls with a different name. Now that I think about, does Dark Souls 2 take place in the same world as DS1 and is it a direct sequel? I honestly don't know anything about its lore, I've only watched the E3 trailer so far.

Because ... 2 awesome games > 1 awesome game.

Also, they're not 'basically' the same game, there are a considerable amount of differences for fans.

But I also think the differences between Demons and Dark is just a naturally evolution between sequels.

Then you can't really say stuff like:

The fact is, nobody knows what "Demon's Souls 2" would have been like. For al we know, it would just be Dark Souls with a different name. Now that I think about, does Dark Souls 2 take place in the same world as DS1 and is it a direct sequel? I honestly don't know anything about its lore, I've only watched the E3 trailer so far.

This is my thing. Dark 2 so far seems removed from Dark other than core lore stuff (a "chosen undead"). So Demon's 2 could have been a very different game from Demon's (more like Dark) even with the lore and title.

But I also think the differences between Demons and Dark is just a naturally evolution between sequels.

You sir, get it.

Top Bottom