• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is Nintendo's Biggest Launch Ever in the Land Down Under (Australia)

guek

Banned
New thread for new news, right?

link

Nintendo said:
We can confirm that, across Australia and New Zealand combined, Nintendo Switch sold more in its launch weekend than any other Nintendo hardware in history.

Launch title The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has not only been bestowed with some of the highest review scores in gaming history, in Australia and New Zealand combined it’s had the best launch weekend sales in the Zelda series’ 30-year history. Not only that, it’s the biggest-selling Nintendo hardware launch title ever in this region, even outselling Wii Sports – previously the biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever in this region – in terms of first weekend sales.

And all this in March, traditionally a quiet time for the games industry.

Mr Swine

Banned
But but everyone said that Switch wouldn't sell that well!

good for you Nintendo, hope it continues to sell well

"Just Zelda" is seemingly working out. The game deserves it and the system is great too with a promising first year.
Hope the momentum keeps up between now and summer.

Hardly a surprise. Stores round here have been cleaned out. Breath of the Wild was completely out of stock by day 1 and I had never seen that with any other big AAA release.

Hell, it seems some of the accessories have been sold out as well.

wildfire

Banned

No, most people said it would sell to the early adopters easily but would fall off a cliff a month or 2 from then.

Let's serve them crow when the time is right. My time is E3 when big western 3rd parties make their announcements.

tommycronin

latest

shink

Didn't actually expect that. Some stores still have a decent amount of stock, so I guess they just supplied more than enough for launch demand.

good for you Nintendo, hope it continues to sell well

Too early to say either way. It is definitely possible for the Switch sales to plummet, especially without other big games to drive sales and enthusiasm.

That said, the excitement over the Switch feels palpably different to me compared to the Wii U and even the Xbox One. While I would caution against proclaiming the Switch a success right now, the early signs do suggest to me that the console is well positioned for future success.

Strings

This is bizarre. Did they just ship a metric shit-ton of units here? I can still walk into an EB Games, JB HI-FI, Target etc and grab one off a shelf.

Mikeybycrikey

Neo Member
Was surprised to see about 7-8 people in line waiting for ebgames to open. At big w there was roughly the same once the (roller)doors opened on launch day. Even at the end of the train line there's some switch hype it seems.

hamchan

Still plenty of stock where I am for the grey at least. Neon sold out before launch.

It's the damn cases that are sold out.

Vinnk

sales have already dropped off a cliff

Source?

I mean sure. You can't sell what is sold out. So the actual numbers will be pretty low next week while restocks slowly trickle in. But if there was any other insinuation, I'm gonna need to see the receipts.

Edit: Or is this a meme? Lord, it's so hard to tell these days if people are being serious.

Obligatory "good news but we need to wait a few months before we get a good sense of how well it's doing overall" post.

I'm rooting for it, but trying not to get my hopes up.

Macka

Wow, I'm surprised. I managed to pick one up with no preorder at like 5pm on launch day, and every shop I went to still had some left.

Guess they cleaned out over the weekend.

Vinnk

If memory serves, Nintendo is not strong in this market. So it might be a pretty low bar.

Still, just another piece of evidence that things seem to be turning around from the WiiU. Time will tell if these things stick.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I bought one on Sunday from Target. Friend bought one from Target in the Perth CBD today. Seems to be the place to go.

unrealist

IMO, Switch seems to be the most or one of the most hated consoles ever, lol. The more such threads appear, the more hate it gets.

Vitacat

Great device, and BOTW is for real. So, well deserved.

IMO, Switch seems to be the most or one of the most hated consoles ever, lol. The more such threads appear, the more hate it gets.
Eh, nothing new. I chalk it up to fanboys who cannot deal with anything being liked or enjoyed unless it appeals specifically to their tastes. Or in some cases, simply because they can't afford multiple systems and need to feel like what they do own is the only thing worth owning, and what they don't own is not.

Personally, I own all current consoles, handhelds and a 2016 gaming PC. Love them all for different reasons. The Switch is something truly unique though and might just become a personal favorite system for me, and I'm really happy to see Nintendo still able to make great, interesting hardware and games. I really think Switch will be a good turnaround for them after the WiiUs poor sales performance, despite how much I personally enjoyed the WiiU.

Spinifex

Australia for some reason is flush with Switch stock. My local JB got like 60 Pro Controllers in. 60!?

There's a lot to be critical of with Nintendo and with Switch, but you're seeing a lot more unabashed vitriol lately due to BOTW being 98 on metacritic. Dat Salt.

GAF is a weird place when it comes to Nintendo. You have a contingent of people who seem emotionally invested in Nintendo's failure, and will be uncritically dismissive or negative about anything Nintendo does and you have another group that instinctively leaps to Nintendo's defense to the point that they are blind to legitimate criticism.

As with all things gaming however, GAF is not representative of the wider market.

Striek

Thats very surprising given that stock is available everywhere. We evidently were very blessed by Nintendo.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo in my experience over ships to Australia then forgets about it for a coupe of months.

I don't think Switch is getting another Aus shipment til late April

ThIs is actually quite a good explanation. It might make sense to do larger shipments less often to reduce costs. Good thinking

Top Bottom