• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch profits higher then rest of nintendos whole history COMBINED

midnightAI

Would it matter what the other currencies are, when Nintendo's profits are always reported in yen?

Their profit is not calculated by taking a profit from every country and adding them together. I don't think adjusting a profit in different countries makes sense.
Yes, because the sales are in other countries, if they sell games in the UK and make £1million in 1980, but £1million in sales in 1981 in the UK is equivalent to £4.8million in sales now, not £1.48 million. Exchange rates come into it which changes things obviously, hence why I said it's not just as simple as using Japanese exchange rate.

The revenue/profit is calculated as sales per country using exchange rates at the time. But to be fair to this one if you are using inflation as it is now then you should use the current exchange rate but those fluctuate wildly. It's just not simple.

Woopah

Yes, because the sales are in other countries, if they sell games in the UK and make £1million in 1980, but £1million in sales in 1981 in the UK is equivalent to £4.8million in sales now, not £1.48 million. Exchange rates come into it which changes things obviously, hence why I said it's not just as simple as using Japanese exchange rate.

The revenue/profit is calculated as sales per country using exchange rates at the time. But to be fair to this one if you are using inflation as it is now then you should use the current exchange rate but those fluctuate wildly. It's just not simple.
I do see the logic in that, but would you agree that this is not the standard way of adjusting for inflation?

For example, when calculating the highest grossing movies and adjusting for inflation, the adjustment is only applied to the gross in $. Its not done by working out how much the movie grossed in every single currency around the world, and the applying the different inflation rates for each one.

midnightAI

I do see the logic in that, but would you agree that this is not the standard way of adjusting for inflation?

For example, when calculating the highest grossing movies and adjusting for inflation, the adjustment is only applied to the gross in $. Its not done by working out how much the movie grossed in every single currency around the world, and the applying the different inflation rates for each one.
Its probably not done that way because it's hugely complicated especially when things like local tax is involved so I can understand using just the inflation rate of the country of origin, just simplifies things.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Why, it's almost as if making a games console that has plenty of extremely good exclusive games on it is the best way to run a video games company.

Me Me Me Fainting GIF by Archie Comics

Last edited:

Woopah

Its probably not done that way because it's hugely complicated especially when things like local tax is involved so I can understand using just the inflation rate of the country of origin, just simplifies things.
Exactly. It's much simpler (and actually possible) to use the currency that the profits actually get reported in.

Diddy X

Must be sad when your enjoyment of a game is tied to the TFLOPS of the GPU.

I play on PC and am used to crystal clear IQ, I can't stand jaggies and artifacts, Nintendo being so far behind the entire industry in terms of graphics that is what I find truly sad.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Then explain oh wise man

Do you really believe that Nintendo with it's relative adherence to first party titles, party games, stance to abandon the tech race, and console gimmicks (portability, motion control, controllers with monitors) is in the exact same school of gaming as Sony/Xbox/PC?

Can you not see the difference between BotW and fucking God of War? One Market caters to the more arcadey and old school, and one caters to the larger active mid-20's demographic - fps, gaas, multiplayer, arena shooter etc.

It wasn't a commentary on quality, have a tissue.

Švejk

I mean, you're not wrong.
We'll never see Super Mario Odyssey on sale for $19.99. They know their reputation and high quality will drive the sales so why
make cuts to the price that digs into profit?
Honestly, this is the reason I own less than 10 switch games and have less a desire to invest in Nintendo further.. No other game company holds such pride/arrogance in their games to justify the price of their 1st party titles... That, and the Nintendo thumpers lay down their money and support it without batting an eye because they think they do no wrong and everything they poop out is gold, is just as much of a head scratcher.
*Shrug

Fahdis

God, I hate this company and its fans eating up $60 remasters every gen even though I love some of their IPs. The fanbase is literally comparable to Apple's in terms of Zealotry. Grats either way.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Do you really believe that Nintendo with it's relative adherence to first party titles, party games, stance to abandon the tech race, and console gimmicks (portability, motion control, controllers with monitors) is in the exact same school of gaming as Sony/Xbox/PC?

Can you not see the difference between BotW and fucking God of War? One Market caters to the more arcadey and old school, and one caters to the larger active mid-20's demographic - fps, gaas, multiplayer, arena shooter etc.

It wasn't a commentary on quality, have a tissue.
Sure, the point I’m making is that “niche” refers to the smaller segment of the market. The PSXBOX console side of the market is the “niche” side focused on enthusiasts. The Switch, PC, and mobile are obviously the more mainstream, larger slice of the market.

Chill out lol, no need to get unnecessarily aggressive. We’re just talking.

lordrand11

That’s pretty wild, but I guess it’s not that surprising. The Switch is awesome. I wonder if it’ll end up overtaking the PS2 in sales.
Realistically, it should, but Sony will keep trying to move the goal posts by finding "sales" that weren't counted in the total

Robb

Gold Member
Realistically, it should, but Sony will keep trying to move the goal posts by finding "sales" that weren't counted in the total
That’ll always be anecdotal either way. The Wiki entry (that I assume most people look at) will keep saying >155 as it refers to official reports only, and Switch will supposedly be above it by next year.

It’s only a matter of time now.

Which is good, because with all the R&D for this new console, combined with increased costs to make games, Nintendo's costs have never been higher, so they need to maintain this kind of profitable stretch of time for as long as they can. This business is very cyclical.

If the install base of the new console dips significantly from the Switch, it means lower software sales too, which since they only have one platform now, would really, really drag down earnings & could drag down profits throughout the whole next cycle. So ideally the next console would exceed 100+ million install base and come something close to matching Switch's success.

Last edited:

Trilobit

It's amazing how perfectly Switch released with Covid. I remember being completely sucked in by Animal Crossing in the beginning of it, helped me deal with the whole ordeal. I'm looking forward to see what pandemic accompanies Switch 2.

Top Bottom