• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Nintendos game has best graphics on Switch?

most impressive?

• TOTK

Votes: 26 16.4%
  • Bowsers Fury

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 3D World

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Metroid Dread

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Metroid Prime Remaster

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • Xenoblade 3

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Luigis Mansion 3

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Mario Kart 8

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • other (shut up fatso)

Votes: 13 8.2%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yes its all true Switch hardware power is crud but Nintendo have good art style and programmers which game is technicalies the most impressive?

LordOfChaos

Luigi's Mansion 3, followed by Bowser

ToTK is impressive that it runs on Switch and in its scale, but in a snapshot it's blurry and jaggy and lots of pop in when in motion, not a contender on pure visuals imo though it has its beautiful moments

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
breath-of-the-wild-vs-tears-of-the-kingdom-graphics-v0-hauovnv8nwha1.jpg

uskjyK9RywBENfvbq94mSm-970-80.jpg.webp

IMG_8714.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dread is bland/ugly af I don't get the love. Prime Remastered does much better but while it sucks you into a good atmosphere, more of it is held mentally than you would think. Go pull up some review of it can click through the scenes. Each room strikes kinda bland even though the world is captivating.

XC3 has a similar issue to ToTK in that it is hella blurry. They somehow make you accept the fact after playing for a while but I sure wouldn't ever be like "Want to see a beautiful game?" and pull that up.

My vote goes to Luigi's Mansion 3 or Mario Kart 8. They are just masterful in how they utilize their resources efficiently for a timeless art style that performs well and is just always lovely to look at. I will give the edge to LM3 though because of the extreme amount of personality through all of the animations. MK8 has a lot of personality for a racer, but if you watch a replay you aren't going to see nearly as much as LM3.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Dread is bland/ugly af I don't get the love. Prime Remastered does much better but while it sucks you into a good atmosphere, more of it is held mentally than you would think. Go pull up some review of it can click through the scenes. Each room strikes kinda bland even though the world is captivating.

XC3 has a similar issue to ToTK in that it is hella blurry. They somehow make you accept the fact after playing for a while but I sure wouldn't ever be like "Want to see a beautiful game?" and pull that up.

My vote goes to Luigi's Mansion 3 or Mario Kart 8. They are just masterful in how they utilize their resources efficiently for a timeless art style that performs well and is just always lovely to look at. I will give the edge to LM3 though because of the extreme amount of personality through all of the animations. MK8 has a lot of personality for a racer, but if you watch a replay you aren't going to see nearly as much as LM3.
My vote goes to Xenoblade 3 because it's my favorite art style by a wide margin with no close second apart from Xenoblade DE lol.

But I remember when Mario Kart 8 was announced for Wii U, it was mind-blowing and kinda next gen-ish.

By the time we didn't have games with deferred lighting on consoles yet afaik, all games where 20-28 fps or something like that and 8th gen consoles barely got announced... Meanwhile MK was pushing new graphical techniques and at locked 60 fps, that couldn't be believed.

The year before Sega made an arcade version of Mario Kart with HD graphics and everyone was expecting that, like "that's what the new Wii U MK will look like" but it surpassed all expectations by a wide margin.

Many here tried to downplay it by "cartoon-ey graphics" and shit, it was hilarious 😂 then it served as fuel for that infamous Wii U speculation thread... Oh my!

Astral Dog

gonna bet for Luigis Mansion 3👑

While MPR looks very good,its still the same GameCube game at its core,there are no new animations

Then there are the open world games like Tears of the Kingdom and Xenoblade 3

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For me, it’s Animal Crossing. It was the first time we got to interact with our village in HD.
It's delightful but I'm still stalled on the brutal intro mission to get 30 iron. It's like they were like "Oh, you want to get this village started and welcome many new villagers and make everything adorable? Well FUCK YOU!"

Pejo

It's gotta be something Monolith is involved in. They're fucking wizards on that limited as fuck hardware.

Uhhh, not sure the criteria since TotK is leading the poll by a wide margin... I guess scope factors into it? But that doesn't seem right. I don't think any of the big open world games get the title from me. Though I much prefer the Zelda's to something like Xenoblade which I found plain ugly. For me, it's probably something like Smash Bros, or Odyssey/Bowser's Fury. Even if not technically as impressive, they just look visually appealing, and not like they are trying to do something the hardware can't actually handle. Luigi's Mansion looks good, but I never played, MK8 is another example of something that just looks nice.

Fbh

While Xenoblade 3 looks amazing, specially for an open world, and Metroid Prime remastered might be the most technically impressive game considering how nice it looks while running at 60fps.

I still think overall visually Luigi's Mansion 3 is the best.
CtT6boJ.gif

ActiveBitterAttwatersprairiechicken-size_restricted.gif

I can't find the right GIF to show it off but it's not only about how nice the environment looks, it's also how interactive it is. There's so many little elements that react to your vacuum cleaner, from furniture to drapes, grass, plants random objects on the tables, etc. The world really feels alive thanks to it compared to other nice looking games on the system that feel very static in comparison.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Gold Member
It's delightful but I'm still stalled on the brutal intro mission to get 30 iron. It's like they were like "Oh, you want to get this village started and welcome many new villagers and make everything adorable? Well FUCK YOU!"
Well yeah, but it looks good while doing that! 😊

pikmin 4 does look great but too much chromatic aberration

Astral Chain looks great but considering it's a cyberpunk setting...not enough chromatic aberration

Metroid Dread has just the right amount of chromatic aberration but

akshully Mario Kart 8 wins which is a WiiU game

RoadHazard

Gold Member
MK8 looks very sharp and runs flawlessly. That's one of the few games on the Switch I don't feel would benefit that much from being on a more powerful console. Almost everything on the console else feels held back in one way or another, be it framerate, image quality or other technical aspects.

Last edited:
Luigi by quite a wide margin. If the game ran at 1440p/60 but outside that was graphically unchanged, It could pass for a PS5 game. You would need to improve every aspect of TOTK from lighting and shadows to geometry as well as the image quality.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
TOTK most impressives to devs

MK8 looks very sharp and runs flawlessly. That's one of the few games on the Switch I don't feel would benefit that much from being on a more powerful console. Almost everything on the console else feels held back in one way or another, be it framerate, image quality or other technical aspects.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Screenshot (2 of 15)

daclynk

i think Pikmin 4, Luigi Mansion 4 and Mario Kart 8 deluxe all out battle for that seat. Its crazy Nintendo studio hands on Unreal Engine 4 is one of the best looking game on the Switch. Cant wait on what they come up with on Unreal Engine 5 on their Next Generation system which is going to have a huge generational leap for them.

Last edited:

RickMasters

If anything, the Switch has proven that the amount of raw power a console has doesn’t equal great looking games. They have some of the most eye-pleasing games the past 2 generations…frame rate and resolution be damned.

I think it helps that Nintendo games have a strong sense of identity in their art style. They also shoot for a CG look as opposed to trying to make everything look super realistic. I like that about Nintendo.

I remember when people would have been happy to just have toy story 1 level graphics. We are ge early last that level these days even on switch. So I don’t think anybody can call their games bad looking.they look clean in my opinion. And they have, a ‘look’ that’s loveable

AngelMuffin

I think it helps that Nintendo games have a strong sense of identity in their art style. They also shoot for a CG look as opposed to trying to make everything look super realistic. I like that about Nintendo.

I remember when people would have been happy to just have toy story 1 level graphics. We are ge early last that level these days even on switch. So I don’t think anybody can call their games bad looking.they look clean in my opinion. And they have, a ‘look’ that’s loveable
Agreed. They’ve always had a whimsical style that doesn’t really translate to realism, nor would I want it to.

Top Bottom