• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch wi fi is atrocious for me (READ MOD POST)

Souzetsu

Haven't noticed any Wi-Fi issues myself, but my experience has been mainly looking at the eShop. Range seems to be comparable to my iPhone.

//DEVIL//

My switch doesnt disconnect at all but i dont have full signal either. I am 2 meters away from it and i get 2 out of 3 signals

Glix

It does seem somewhat worse than other devices. My bed is kind of at the far end of our router's range. My phone and 3DS get kind of spotty signals there, but Switch rarely gets anything.

Are you dual band? Is it possible the other devices grab the 2.4 and the switch is trying to get on the 5 ghz? 5ghz has shorter range.

What kind of wireless security are you guys using? Have you ever updated your router's firmware to see if it's a bug?
Not looking at it right now, but I believe it's wpa2. I even tried wep. The only thing that works is disabling security entirely, which I'm not going to do. I even tried updating my firmware, but it turns out my router doesn't have an option to do that...

I'm in the same room as my dual band 2.4g & 5g router and it still get 2 bars, it doesn't feel slow on the switch itself but i'd expect it to be full bar like my phone and other devices in the same room.

MrJules

Neo Member
is there any solution? I have seen that the issue is more persistent when I put the console in the dock...
someone called nintendo?

mieumieu

I am getting two bars while every orher device would get full 3 bars. Game download is slow too, even slower than the Wii U.

watershed

Banned
I haven't tried online multiplayer yet so I can't tell if I have the same problem or not but videos on the eshop buffer for a second or two before playing. It seems normal though and streams well.

Anyone getting cap'd download speed? I'm on 5ghz and have full bars and I never test higher than 30mbps. When I use my phone to do a speed test I get over 100mbps from another room (100 down / 15 up is my connection speed).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Anyone getting cap'd download speed? I'm on 5ghz and have full bars and I never test higher than 30mbps. When I use my phone to do a speed test I get over 100mbps from another room (100 down / 15 up is my connection speed).

i'm seeing 45 down, 10 up (isp speed is 75/75)

Zarth

I was having major problems with my Switch Wi-Fi so I took it out of my apartment building and lo and behold it was fine.

Device never felt slow, just dropped the Wireless all the time when it was more than a few meters from the router. Turning off 40mhz fixed it in most of my apartment. Taking it to a place without other Wi-Fi made it work more like I'd expect.

Not sure the specifics of what causes the problems but my best guess would be either it doesn't like devices using Fat Channels (40 mhz instead of 20mhz) or it doesn't like other devices that overlap it's own channel (Anything running not on 1, 6, or 11)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Add me to those with the disconnect/can't connect issue. Was working fine for launch day, tried to hit the eshop today and it isn't online. Wifi symbol grayed out. Sees the list of routers just fine, but refuses connection when attempting to login. Gonna do a hard reboot when I get back home, but it's disconcerting to say the least.

//DEVIL//

I am starting to think its just misprinting the signal. I was in my bedroom which is 3 rooms away from the modem (10 meters ? Iphone shows 2 signals) and i tested my connection and i got 14 out of 20 megs which is my connection speed

The WiFi is shit. I've had a ps4, wii u, Xbox one, PC, vita, 3ds, smart TV, and multiple phones and tablets connect with no issues from my media room... And the switch can't fucking connect. I had to walk basically right next to my router to download the Zelda upgrade.
I have both 2.4 and 5 ghz connections, on a decent Gigabit Netgear router that's centrally located in my house.

Edit: more accurately, it connects to my router, but no actual data comes through. Sitting at one bar max while my vita jumps between 2 and 3.

Epcott

It's pretty bad. I noticed my signal strength never gets above halfway and I've yet to have a video play all the way through on it without a long pause or disconnect...

Which is strange because my PS4 connects just fine. On that, video never stalls, Twitch is clear, and connection is spot on for multiplayer. On the other hand, I can't even watch Twitch on my Xbox One since connection is so bad. So maybe it's my router?

For me there isn't an issue with connectivity. It is mostly just down and up speeds. When I use my Wii u wifi adapter it is slower than my 5ghz wifi which is really odd .. I use my galaxy s7 as a base line for the tests and it's getting 5 times the down speed regardless of server. ( I have a Netgear Nighthawk 1900ac router)

It could be a router settings.

F34R

I'm not having any issues so far. 25 ft away behind two walls and a closed door and I have a decent signal on 2.4 and 5. NAT A and B. The speeds are less than desirable compared to my max speed of 120/10. With the 2.4 I get 36/4 and the 5 is getting 46/8. /shrugs

No wifi issues for me thus far. I have 5 ghz connection upstairs in a victorian house. The router is downstairs in the parlor room. I downloaded Fast RMX the other day and it went smoothly.

I should note that I have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 which has the best range for 5 ghz that I've ever had for a router.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Remember folks, your client needs to be on 5ghz and your router transmit power needs to match your client transmit power. give them 5 ft of range and you will be fine. ignore these basic rules and you will have problems.

35mbps isn't garbage. At least not for a Nintendo game.

Ive seen speeds in the 104mbps range..my internet is 100mbps.not sure if the adapter needs to be plugged into the outside of the dock or the one in the back..maybe since the one I have is USB 2.0 its not as reliable

Poppyseed

Just to bring some WiFi testing to this thread:

Standing right next to my Asus RT-AC1900 router (gigabit fiber connection) my iPhone 7 Plus gets 520Mbit down/470 Mbit up (limited by the iPhone's wifi chip, lol!).

The Switch handheld in the same place? 35Mbit down, 17Mbit up.

Both connected to 5Ghz AC.

Awesome. lol.

Using a Time Warner DG1670A Arris modem. Connecting the Switch via 2.4ghz gets me 20mb down and 10mb up. Connecting to the 5ghz network gets me 45mb down and 15mb up.

Both networks register 2 bars of signal most of the time, with the 5ghz occasionally showing the full 3 bars. After testing both, I've kept my Switch on the 5ghz since day one.

Its a far cry from my 300mb down and 20mb up that I pay for, but I've never had any issues with the Switch failing to connect or dropping connection. For comparison, my Xbox One S gets roughly the same speeds when hooked up through wifi, and the same Xbox One S pulls around 140mb down when I switch back to ethernet.

TLDR: Console wifi chipsets are crap. The Switch for me has been no better or worse than my Xbox Ons S or the Vita I used to own.

I don't have any issues yet but my wifi signal is only 2 bars when is 3 bars in other devices and my router is 20cm away from the console.

I find it hard to belive both my cellphones pull 120mbps on 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi yet the switch maxes out at 40 docked.

Wondering if it's a software cap? Anyone getting over 40?

Using a Time Warner DG1670A Arris modem. Connecting the Switch via 2.4ghz gets me 20mb down and 10mb up. Connecting to the 5ghz network gets me 45mb down and 15mb up.

Both networks register 2 bars of signal most of the time, with the 5ghz occasionally showing the full 3 bars. After testing both, I've kept my Switch on the 5ghz since day one.

Its a far cry from my 300mb down and 20mb up that I pay for, but I've never had any issues with the Switch failing to connect or dropping connection. For comparison, my Xbox One S gets roughly the same speeds when hooked up through wifi, and the same Xbox One S pulls around 140mb down when I switch back to ethernet.

TLDR: Console wifi chipsets are crap. The Switch for me has been no better or worse than my Xbox Ons S or the Vita I used to own.

The Fat Vita had awful wifi. I'd always leave it in the room with the router if I wanted decent speed. I keep the PS4 and Xbox One S wired myself, the Xbone in particular has absolutely dreadful wireless speeds.

You'd think they could at least manage wifi equivalent to mobile phones.

I had to switch to my 5G connection because on the first day after all my initial downloads, I wanted to go into the store to buy Shovel Knight, but the store wouldn't open and I eventually got greeted with an error. I also played Fast RMX online and the matches I played were REALLY laggy. Since switching to 5G, the store boots up fast and the videos don't buffer at all. Fast RMX also has no lag on my side either. Still only shows 2 bars, not once have I seen 3. Really hope they can patch something to fix this.

Hmm, my switch is showing 3 bars when searching for wifi on 2.4 but only gets 2 bars when actually connected lol. 5Ghz is permanently 2 bars from the room adjacent to the router. I guess I ought to test this thing around the house to see if I need to return it?

reektann

Mine was shocking 1 floor up from the router whilst my other consoles on exactly the same area were fine on wireless. I purchased one of those TPLINK powerline adaptors with the wifi in it - plugged it in about 2 meters away from the switch - connected to the new TPLINK SSID and I get 100% signal now and no issues.

Just a bit of a sketchy antenna I guess.

watershed

Banned
At first I was worried that my Switch had a slow connection on my home wifi too but I just bought Snipperclips and it downloaded 9% in about 10 seconds so I think I'm fine. The game isn't a huge file size but that's way faster download speed than my 3ds gets.

shiyrley

Banned
Hmm, my switch is showing 3 bars when searching for wifi on 2.4 but only gets 2 bars when actually connected lol. 5Ghz is permanently 2 bars from the room adjacent to the router. I guess I ought to test this thing around the house to see if I need to return it?
All Switches have shit wifi, if you return it you will have exactly the same experience

Powwa

Having a similar issue with my switch. Sitting like 2 meters away from my modem and I get 2 bars. If I walk to the other side of the room it drops down to 1 bar. When I put it right next to the router it manages to get 3 bars. Eshop works fine and downloads are okay-ish, haven't had an issue with connection drop yet but haven't really taken it out of the room.

However when I try to watch videos some of them freeze due to not buffering fast enough. All the other devices connects fine; 3DS/Vita/PS4 and my phone/laptop works without an issue. Both 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz gives similar results, quite disappointing.

I'm getting NAT type B.
Only getting 26.3Mbps down, 10.7 up when I'd expect it to be at least double those numbers.

Is NAT B okay or should I be looking to change it by messing with router settings?

Lucifon

Just to bring some WiFi testing to this thread:

Standing right next to my Asus RT-AC1900 router (gigabit fiber connection) my iPhone 7 Plus gets 520Mbit down/470 Mbit up (limited by the iPhone's wifi chip, lol!).

The Switch handheld in the same place? 35Mbit down, 17Mbit up.

Both connected to 5Ghz AC.

Awesome. lol.

Wow that sums this thing up. Very solid router too. I get 250 down on my S7 on a 250 down connection but 50 on the Switch even right next to the router. Here's hoping they can improve this thing via firmware but I'm not faithful, they either cheaper out on a poor chip or there's interference causing it.

Zarth

I'm getting NAT type B.
Only getting 26.3Mbps down, 10.7 up when I'd expect it to be at least double those numbers.

Is NAT B okay or should I be looking to change it by messing with router settings?

Nat B is almost always fine (Medium NAT) and is generally the result most people without complicated networks and firewalls will receive.

You usually won't get NAT A unless theres no firewalls whatsoever or you DMZ yourself.

DavidDesu

Well I found out my Switch's wifi doesn't work when docked next to my tv which is disappointing. It can see my network but just doesn't seem to have the signal strength to connect. In the same spot my iPad mini can sometimes (but rarely) not quite get a signal either, but the Switch flat out can't. I have a spare home plug and the Ethernet adapters are only a few £ but I'd rather the wifi just worked as it should. I live in a 2 bedroom flat and the router is hardly miles away..

Top Bottom