• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch wi fi is atrocious for me (READ MOD POST)

watershed

Banned
Man, I thought I was fine, but today it was a mess. It ranged from great to no connection to slow very fast.

I fear this issue will blow out with Mario Kart. Everyone be warned.

Btw, is this hardware or software related?

Mario Kart 8 is gonna be a hell of a test. The Splatoon 2 global testfire was my first test of my Switch's wifi and I was super relieved to never have any issues despite my Switch's wifi indicator never showing more than 2 bars. In my case, I think the indicator is more defective than the wifi itself. I was worried I'd have to return my Switch or send it in for repair if it couldn't handle the Splatoon 2 test.

Mario Kart 8 is gonna be a hell of a test. The Splatoon 2 global testfire was my first test of my Switch's wifi and I was super relieved to never have any issues despite my Switch's wifi indicator never showing more than 2 bars. In my case, I think the indicator is more defective than the wifi itself. I was worried I'd have to return my Switch or send it in for repair if it couldn't handle the Splatoon 2 test.

I can't play this online at all. I get server connection error with friends every single time mid game. I'm like 25 feet from my router and the signal just keeps dropping. No other devices in my house have any issues. My connection constantly goes in and out at 2.4ghz and at 5ghz I barely have a signal on my switch 25 feet away. Every other device has full bars on both.

arimanius

My issue is everything I have gets full 5G signal but the Switch gets 1 bar or none. Strangely bomberman is laggy but Mario kart was fine. Need to try out Puyo puyo and see how it is. Frustrating

Ok the wifi does suck!

In the garden I cant play Switch online while on my phone I can watch youtube at 3 bars wifi.

Why is it so bad?!?!?!

Ok the wifi does suck!

In the garden I cant play Switch online while on my phone I can watch youtube at 3 bars wifi.

Why is it so bad?!?!?!

I don't know. My major issues seem to be when it's docked and of course a lan adapter has to be bought separately. I just finally caved and ordered an Anker one off Amazon. I hope they can fix some of these issues though. People are having issues in droves with the wifi.

WiFi goes away completely when docked. Tried the hard power downs and everything else. Can instantly connect when not docked but then stick it in the dock to play some MK8 and poof... shits fully disconnected but sees my router and shows it as 2 bars but just wont connect. Worst WiFi experience ever. Hasnt improved since launch day.

WiFi goes away completely when docked. Tried the hard power downs and everything else. Can instantly connect when not docked but then stick it in the dock to play some MK8 and poof... shits fully disconnected but sees my router and shows it as 2 bars but just wont connect. Worst WiFi experience ever. Hasnt improved since launch day.

This is my experience in a nutshell. The signal is never as strong as other devices but it works provided I'm not like outside the house (my other devices do though lol) but as soon as it's in the dock. It's spotty as hell.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

my new neon switch just arrived after 3 weeks back order. all was great.... then tried to download mariokart. 3-4 disconnects. docking it seems to shit the bed. router is on other side of a 55 inch tv. WTF.. Did the hard reboot as internet suggests. Currently at work but not great start so far.

Murdoch

After running speedtests on the switch I get around 35mb download and 19.5mb upload. This is whilst having a one bar connection on the screen.

So for me; no issues with speed or throughput but the amount of signal strength bars I have is a slight worry.

Robin64

The Switch wifi really is atrocious. The range is so bad, really. I can barely get a signal upstairs while everything is happy on full signal.

DavidDesu

Just anecdotally my wifi didn't work when docked when I first got my Switch, but when using it docked the other day I could browse the store and there didn't seem to be a problem. Guessing maybe one of the recent Switch updates fixed something. Just thought I'd share. I was contemplating getting an ethernet adapter as I have a spare powerline plug and a spare socket behind my TV, but I won't bother if it keeps working over wifi.

Mandelbo

The Switch wifi really is atrocious. The range is so bad, really. I can barely get a signal upstairs while everything is happy on full signal.

Same here - I'm two stories up from the router in this house, but even so everything else manages to hold a consistent signal just fine. My PS4 can, my laptop can, my phone can... hell, the 3DS and Wii U can as well! When it's undocked it can sometimes get a signal, but I've never been able to get it to connect to the internet while it's docked.
I just really, really hope this is something that can be fixed with a patch. If it turns out to be a defect in early batches or something, and the only fix is to get a replacement console, I think I'd be completely out of luck.

The Wi-Fi issues are the only thing putting me off buying a Switch at the moment. I rarely have any issues playing my PS4 online but my Xbox has played up a bit in the past. Playing Mario Kart and Splatoon online would be one of my main reasons for buying it so I'm really hoping it gets ironed out.

MTC100

Banned
I didn't have any problems with it but I decided to buy an ethernet USB adapter none the less as it gives me a better feeling and my router is close to my system anyway so wiring isn't a problem.

Wifi is trash on this thing; constantly getting disconnected from MK8D when upstairs only one floor in my house. I have to sit in the same room to have stability, so I might need to just get an Ethernet adapter.

So how do you fix the bad wifi signal with Switch? I get 1 bar when all my other devices are at max signal. It sucks donkey balls, it makes me disconnect a lot :/

Yup, Switch wifi is the worst i've ever seen. All my other devices get perfect signal but the Switch can't even connect to Eshop, it's ridiculous, but then again, it's Nintendo and online which doesn't really go together.

If they want to charge for their online service, they better fix that stuff or the Switch will be an offline machine to me.

I'm a bit confused about this issue since mine seems to work perfectly fine. It takes about 5-10 seconds after I wake it from sleep to be able to connect but after that it works great anywhere in my house. I haven't been disconnected from MK8D once since the launch weekend.

Is it an issue just with some hardware? Or a router issue? Has anyone figured that out?

Schnozberry

I'm a bit confused about this issue since mine seems to work perfectly fine. It takes about 5-10 seconds after I wake it from sleep to be able to connect but after that it works great anywhere in my house. I haven't been disconnected from MK8D once since the launch weekend.

Is it an issue just with some hardware? Or a router issue? Has anyone figured that out?

I have great performance as well, but I have a fairly new 5ghz router and very little interference in the way of neighboring wifi broadcasts. The common factor among most of the reports of poor performance seem to revolve around 2.4ghz connections on older routers. Hopefully Nintendo can improve performance with a patch for the people affected.

Lets play some Mario Kart, oh right I need to get through 5 disconnects first 😡😡😡

Sweet halfway my first game I could get in... disconnect.

Do I have a faulty Switch or something? I cant imagine it being this terrible for everyone without a big outrage.

Bluth54

So how do you fix the bad wifi signal with Switch? I get 1 bar when all my other devices are at max signal. It sucks donkey balls, it makes me disconnect a lot :/

I got half as many bars on my Switch compared to any other WiFi devices in the same spot. Since I mostly play my Switch in portable mode in the same spot and had an Ethernet cable wired nearby I bought a wireless access point. I still get the occasional disconnect but it's much better.

It's pretty sad Nintendo cheaped out on the WiFi so much I had to do that.

F34R

Well, 5g doesnt even work at all for me on Switch 😐

Which router are you using?

Mine is working fine. Here's the stats for mine:

2.4GHz
NAT A
D/L - 31.1Mbps
U/L - 7.5Mbps

5.0GHz
NAT A
D/L 15.6Mbps
U/L 1.9Mbps

I'm roughly, 30 feet, two rooms (walls) away from my router. I'm using the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200.

I get much better performance on 2.4Ghz bands

Seems to be fast enough for me with no issues so far. Sorry to those having problems though

F34R

I get much better performance on 2.4Ghz bands

Seems to be fast enough for me with no issues so far. Sorry to those having problems though

If I'm in my bedroom, the 2.4 works better because it's just a better signal at this distance. Closer to the router, I get more bandwidth on the 5.0 band. /shrugs

joesiv

My WIFI was working great at launch. But now for some reason I can't connect to one of my WIFI access points that I used to be able to before (my andoid smart phone). Odd, and kind of annoying.

Works fine for me at home 5ghz or 2.4ghz.

Is there a fix for this?

I have great interent connection in my home but the Switch never shows full bars. Is this going to be a problem down the road? My problems comes whenever I'm on the go. Any other device I have would connect to WiFi hot spots with no issues but if the Switch connects it's not a stable connection.

TI82

Banned
Got some questions here for people:

So I don't have home internet, I use an unlimited 4g hotspot for everything. And this works great for browsing and playing games everywhere... except the Switch. I have NAT Type B and it will NOT let me play anything online. I can go to the eshop and download games but no playing at all.

Does anyone know how to get this working? I'm on Cricket and use my rooted Nexus 6P.

jRPG

I cannot connect at all on my Switch. I previously could, with a one bar signal, and sometimes I would get DNS errors and need to hard reset to get connected again. All of a sudden I can't connect at all. I have no idea what to do.

My Smart TV, PS4, Blu-ray player, 3DS, Vita, Kindle, iPhone and iPod all have zero issues connecting. My Sky box, which is downstairs, gets a better signal than my Switch previously did... I have no idea whether to wait and see if it improves with software updates, or invest in a booster, hotspot or even a wired adapter, or if any of this stuff will even work.

Literally heartbroken, been dying for Splatoon 2, and VC is something I was hugely looking forward to, this puts a huge dampener on everything.

Bluth54

Got some questions here for people:

So I don't have home internet, I use an unlimited 4g hotspot for everything. And this works great for browsing and playing games everywhere... except the Switch. I have NAT Type B and it will NOT let me play anything online. I can go to the eshop and download games but no playing at all.

Does anyone know how to get this working? I'm on Cricket and use my rooted Nexus 6P.

You probably can't fix it, most mobile ISPs don't give out public IP addresses just private addresses. You kinda get screwed with carrier grade NAT.

Zambayoshi

Wi-fi is a strange beast. I had no problems with my PS3 slim, then replaced it with a PS3 Super Slim when its BD drive died, got it fixed, and eventually started using it again when the Super Slim's fan stopped working. Now I can't even detect the wi-fi signal 9 times out of 10, while I can detect neighbours' wi-fi networks at full strength. None of my other devices have the problem.

So long intro over, I decided to buy a couple of powerline adapters and run the internet through my apartment's electrical wiring. Worked like a charm. To anyone who's having problems with spotty wi-fi reception, check this out:

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA9020P-KIT.html

It's a bit pricey, but you can find cheaper versions. I'd just make sure to get the AV2000 standard rather than the lower ones, as it apparently has better responsiveness and capacity.

For me online in MK8 is generally acceptable so long as I'm not on the other side of the house. The Switch's WiFi antenna feels generally weaker though, I get two bars even when I'm standing not 10 feet away from the router. That and download speeds seem far too slow.

balgajo

I will exchange mine tomorrow... I can't connect to wifi. I tried all solutions none worked for me. I was hoping for a software update to solve my issues but I can't even do this.

mindatlarge

I will exchange mine tomorrow... I can't connect to wifi. I tried all solutions none worked for me. I was hoping for a software update to solve my issues but I can't even do this.
Not that you should have to, but did you try to connect with the 5 GHz band? My Switch since launch will not connect to 2.4 GHz, but it will connect to 5 GHz just fine.

ViolentP

Not sure if you've answered this but, what model access point you using?

stoke1863

The new update has improved WiFi a lot for me, 3 bars instead of 2 and on the page my download speed is 48mb and pre update it was 13mb

balgajo

Not that you should have to, but did you try to connect with the 5 GHz band? My Switch since launch will not connect to 2.4 GHz, but it will connect to 5 GHz just fine.

For a miracle I could connect to a 2.5Ghz today. Download went until 43% than stopped. I tried to use my cellphone as a router(because if 5.0Ghz) but my Switch won't even recognize it.

Not sure if you've answered this but, what model access point you using?
TL-WR741N

DirtyLarry

Does the dock have an ethernet port?

No, you can use a USB LAN Adapter though. Hori makes a Switch-licensed one, but apparently you can use generics.
I did/do not have any noticeable issues with the WiFi myself, but I am old school and go wired whenever I can.
So I picked up a generic ethernet adapter for $12 iirc on Amazon and I do not regret that decision at all. Worked right out of the box. Anytime I know I am going to download something, I just dock it, start the download, and it works exactly as it should. Fast as can be.

Just sharing in case someone has been considering it and wondering if it is worth it. I surely feel as if I got my money's worth.

Again though I also did not have any noticeable issues with my WiFi. I just go WIRED whenever I can. Last time I checked I have 28 Wired devices on my network. In case anyone is wondering, that means I have a whole, whole lot of switches in my house.

I looked it up in my Amazon history, it was this adapter. And I did get it for $12.59, apparently I applied a Promo Code for $1.40 which actually now does remind me it was said promo code that made me go ahead and pull the trigger.

pooptest

It's a shame they went Broadcom for the WiFi chip. I'm sure it might have cost them only an extra dollar or two on production to put an Intel module in it.

Broadcom also makes the worst server NICs. Ask anyone who manages Dell servers (default config is quad-port 1Gb Broadcom NIC). It's a nightmare and has issues with RSS queuing and RDS Gateway/VDI deployments.
sadly, I had to experience this firsthand and any forum pointed back to the crappy Broadcom NICs just sucking.

Top Bottom