• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch won't have Streetpass or Miiverse

JC Lately

Miiverse was garbage considering I always ended up reposting everything on Twitter where I actually have an audience so whatever, but no Streepass is a travesty.

Conventions won't be as fun anymore.

PAX South 2017 is going to be my daughter's first convention. She was really looking forward to Street Pass on her 2DS once i explained what it was. Shame its on the way out.

L95

I.... really liked Miiverse :c

Miiverse posts in Splatoon's hub really made the game feel... um.... people feel present, I guess. I really liked it.

I also loved seeing the drawings on Miiverse boards of all kinds of games

Magnus

I honestly never used StreetPass, Mii Plaza, Miiverse, none of it. All of it seemed like fluff that never resulted in anything meaningful.

Still, if they really are features that a significant portion of Nintendo players used, it's a shame Nintendo is abandoning them.

Hermii

Maybe I'm overly dramatic, but I feel a part of Nintendo died with Iwata. No miiverse, no streetpass, nothing's to replace it, no pack in game, paid online. No "asks" series. Of course we can never know if things would have been the same if he was around.

I feel Kimi is even more of a bean counter.

Banned
I can count on both hands how many times in used these features the last five years. I won't miss them.

WPS

I had some great times with streetpass, shame to see it go. Though on the other hand, I can't see myself carrying around a switch in the same way I did my 3DS, and I suspect having on in stand by mode for so long is part of why the battery has gotten so screwed.

I wonder if the streetpass groups that sprang up everywhere will survive just as game meet up groups...

Miiverse I never bothered with so I have no opinions on its loss.

Regiruler

I.... really liked Miiverse :c

Miiverse posts in Splatoon's hub really made the game feel... um.... people feel present, I guess. I really liked it.

I also loved seeing the drawings on Miiverse boards of all kinds of games

A hypothetical way they would replace it in the hub, and it's flaws.

Use some sort of hashtag to parse through off twitter to read from.
However this is susceptible to (ab)use from people who don't have the game, and I don't want to stain my twitter feed (which I associate with myself in real life) with whatever garbage I feel like posting.

Beartruck

I can hear the pitch for the Switch's online right now:

"The switch: now with somehow even worse online support that now costs money and is tethered to another device."

Who could pass that up? Except for, y'know, basically everyone.

KarmaCow

Huh, I wonder why both features are being axed for the Nintendo Switch?

Dunno about Streetpass but Miiverse makes sense. Instead of needing to moderate and curate the posts in Miiverse, they can offload that responsibility to Twitter/Facebook/etc and are no longer fully accountable for what happens.

random25

The only real thing that I'll miss about the Miiverse is its Splatoon integration, and sometimes it's Smash integration on Miiverse stage.

Other than that, yeah not much I'm going to miss.

Bummer, I love both of these features, especially street pass. They were pretty innovative too, so I feel like there was room to expand upon them further with Switch.

Arkeband

Banned
StreetPass only served to provide features for 90% of my games that I would never get to see because I don't go to conventions and I don't live in Japan.

So, good riddance.

Skeletos311

The screenshot button, Twitter, and Facebook (and other stuff) will replace Miiverse. Just look at all the stuff you can link to your My Nintendo account. They'll probably let you share your screenshots and stuff through all those things.

Regiruler

I'm canceling my pre-order on this. This is my last straw for ever considering day 1.

I'll reconsider for when arms is out.
The screenshot button, Twitter, and Facebook (and other stuff) will replace Miiverse. Just look at all the stuff you can link to your My Nintendo account. They'll probably let you share your screenshots and stuff through all those things.
People do know you could do more than post screenshots, right?

You could ask the obscurest of questions, and because it was tied to the system it had the potential to be seen by everyone who has played the game. People on twitter aren't going to see what you post.

JTripper

The way I see it, this can only mean that they're implementing something else and new for the Switch's online component, which could be good. I mean I was never much of a miiverse user or streetpasser but they were neat features. I can't imagine Nintendo removing them without any second thought for what might replace them to provide their new system with a solid social component to keep people interested.

Would be a seriously dumb move though if they reallly are removing it and just depending on the presence of general external social media apps.

No native voice chat, Internet browser or Miiverse. Lol.

But paid online!!!

It just keeps getting better!
I swear this is like effecting me mentally at this point. Like really? There is just so much 'what the fuck' in this system. Nintendo really is this stupid and out of touch. It's actually happening.

This is why I won't be buying it. Miiverse and StreetPass have been my life these last few years. I even met my girlfriend via Miiverse!

dracula_x

C2FHTbRXcAAi8go.jpg

→ https://twitter.com/BadMiiversePost

also this – http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502157

Top Bottom