• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization launches November 8 in the west

Moskalova

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization will launch for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in North America and Europe on November 8, Bandai Namco announced.

In North America, the game will be available physically and digitally for PlayStation 4, and digitally for PS Vita. Pre-orders for the PlayStation 4 version include an exclusive costume pack containing the “Maid” and “Nightwear” costumes for Asuna, and two God Eater-themed costumes.

SAO-Hollow-Realization-Dated-Nov-8_NA.jpg

SAO-Hollow-Realization-Dated-Nov-8_EU.jpg

More details and screens in Gematsu

Yasumi

Banned
Digital only again for NA Vita? Bamco US is weird. Considering this is probably 3+ GB, the option would be nice.

Hikami

Oh wow, that's pretty close to the Japanese release date. (October 27th)

Will wait for impressions though. (and actually listen to them this time) Still disappointed by Lost Song.

Takao

Banned
Digital only again for NA Vita? Bamco US is weird. Considering this is probably 3+ GB, the option would be nice.

There's going to be physical Vita releases in EU and Asia. Maybe spam BN Asia to use the NA version for DLC compatibility?

Stuart444

Will wait for impressions though. (and actually listen to them this time) Still disappointed by Lost Song.

This game looks to have systems more similar to Hollow Fragment than Lost Song (I enjoy LS but the gameplay systems aren't as good as HFs...)

So if you were burned by LS, you might enjoy this.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this. Nice to see this announced a day after SAO Abridged 10 is out :)

Super quick turnaround on this one. I liked Lost Song, though it was considerably less ambitious than HF, which was both a good and bad thing in spots. This game looks more like HF.

GKFinns

I actually have high hopes for this one. It's the first one being made for the PS4 from the get go, and everything I have seen from it has made me think this is going to reverse the trend from the other games.

The non physical Vita version sucks, but that's the course they've obviously set for America. I assume outside of diehard gamers like us, it's just not that attractive an option to spend the money on.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Digital only for vita?
Come on, what the fuck.

Considering the previous title was also digital only not really surprised. Even more so if they know that shelf space for vita titles and getting retailers to agree with shelving it at stores might be a legit business reason for them to go digital again rather than spending extra $$$ with all things involved with getting physical copies into stores.

Plus how well the game sold shows that obviously people were not as perturbed about physical vs. digital as those may make it seem.

This game looks to have systems more similar to Hollow Fragment than Lost Song (I enjoy LS but the gameplay systems aren't as good as HFs...)

Anyway I'm looking forward to this. Nice to see this announced a day after SAO Abridged 10 is out :)

Well considering that this is by the same team that did Hollow Fragment and Lost Song was by a totally different studio, yeah it should be closer to HF than anything that was in Lost Song. Lost Song was literally a reskinned Macross 30 for the most part. So at least we can expect similar quality with this title and am looking forward to seeing how they handled making it even more action based.

drakkykun

Considering the previous title was also digital only not really surprised. Even more so if they know that shelf space for vita titles and getting retailers to agree with shelving it at stores might be a legit business reason for them to go digital again rather than spending extra $$$ with all things involved with getting physical copies into stores.

Plus how well the game sold shows that obviously people were not as perturbed about physical vs. digital as those may make it seem.
What annoys me the most is that I live in EU but I have a NA account on my Vita because it saves me a lot of money (1:1 conversion is fucking bullshit).
So yeah I could easily buy the physical game, but then I won't be able to get the DLCs.

Yasumi

Banned

The last SAO game, Lost Song, was available physically for Vita. Bamco just seems to have this weird digital fetish for their recent releases, but only in NA. It's getting kind of annoying.

Hikami

Super quick turnaround on this one. I liked Lost Song, though it was considerably less ambitious than HF, which was both a good and bad thing in spots. This game looks more like HF.

I made the OT for the western Lost Song release (also made the Re:HF OT). That's how excited for it I was :p. So I was massively let down by the bland areas/dungeons and some other stuff. Though I did like flying around and the combat was okay.

But yeah, I'm glad this is looking more like HF. Enjoyed that one enough to play it all over again on PS4 after all.

Parakeetman

Considering how close the Western ver is coming out I think Ill jettison the import OT claim. As schedule wise do not have time for it or doing something as complex as the Hollow Fragment one was.

Seeing as its pretty pointless having an import OT when the Western release is just a month away and for the most part I dont do Western OTs (outside of converts to Western OTs due to no one else doing one) since I rarely buy localized versions therefore information I can provide is not as accurate with terms as someone who has the game.

Will do an import impression thread instead as its far less time consuming than a whole OT.

Derkon

I was pretty disappointed with Lost Song overall as well, really boring areas and not much to explore(even though you can fly around at mach speed it didn't really do much when the areas where so small).

This looks a lot closer to HF in design, which is great as I did overall like HF outside of the initial learning curve. Will probably pick this up.

Parakeetman

Have the CE preordered. Pretty excited about it I liked Hollow Fragment and never played the other one.

If you liked HF dont bother with Lost Song. Totally different dev team and overall not that good of a game outside of the flying mechanics. Unless you really want to see the "story" and character interactions gameplay wise its not too hot.

Then again if you can get it cheap you might as well take a look if you are a fan of the series.

Stuart444

I enjoy LS because I'm a fan of the series and flying is fun.

BUT if I was in it for just the gameplay, I wouldn't like it as much.

HR looks much better from a gameplay perspective.

Ryan95

3 Days before Trails of Cold Steel II in Europe. November will be a really great month for Vita owners. I suppose I have to postpone World Of Final Fantasy to next year.

RK128

Nice to hear the NA Launch is so close to the JP release. Will be getting this day one, as I really enjoyed past SAO games & have a soft-spot for the anime :).

If you liked HF dont bother with Lost Song. Totally different dev team and overall not that good of a game outside of the flying mechanics. Unless you really want to see the "story" and character interactions gameplay wise its not too hot.

Then again if you can get it cheap you might as well take a look if you are a fan of the series.

Thanks for the info! I will probably just skip it then with this coming out and then World of FF and FF 15 I am good on RPG's for awhile lol.

Parakeetman

Are they playing a 3rd game?

Yes.

2026. A new virtual reality MMORPG called “Sword Art: Origin” is suddenly announced. Kirito, who participated in the closed beta test, meets a mysterious girl there. An NPC girl without a name or settings. She was an NPC with a strange quest that awarded only a single Cor.

The girl, given the name “Premiere,” will deepen her interactions with the Kirito and friends over the course of their adventure. “Humans” and “AI.” Beings with such different logic cannot coexist. When the girl’s true purpose is revealed, people will fight for “it.” Will the NPC girl’s meeting with the “Black Swordsman” destroy the world, or save it?

The curtain of a new death game rises…
Credits to Gematsu

Jinketsu

That skill tree gives me hope that it will be as fun as Hollow Fragment was. Lord I'm hoping so. I don't want another Lost Song experience burning me and finally convincing me never to get another SAO game again.

Ryan95

Why not just import?
That would be more expensive than just buying it locally, plus I'd like to support NISA for bringing XSEED titles to Europe( Maybe it can be an incentive to make them bring other Falcom titles like Tokyo Xanadu, and avoid ot being Digital Only like many other Aksys games here in EU) and, most of all, I'll be probably busy with both God Eater Resurrection and Rage Burst in September, so I'd have two games in a month anyways, in September rather than November.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
JP only gets the maid costume, EU only gets the nightwear costume, but NA gets both

What's the deal bamco

Top Bottom