• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 3 Will Have Character Augmentations Instead Of Classes

Helios

“I don’t understand why video game developers use character classes,” Spector tells Gamespot. “I guess it’s simple for people to understand ‘I’m a fighter, I’m a healer, I’m a mage.’ It’s probably sensible and there’s a reason why I’m kind of the ‘King of the Cult Classics,’ and haven’t sold 100 million copies of a game ever.”
Spector acknowledges that there are still games where traditional skill trees make sense, but “one of the hallmarks of the immersive sim is it’s about you in the world. You the player, not your little 64-pixel-tall avatar or whatever. It’s about you making the decisions that you feel are appropriate to the situation. So the most important thing to me is each player’s individual playstyle driving the experience.”
Your abilities will progress in System Shock 3, but “you develop a character through your inventory.” You’ll collect physical augments and similar tools, but you’ll have limits on how many you can install. “The tools you create will allow you to interact with our world simulation and our enemies in unique ways that, again, serve your playstyle.”

Myths

What is there not to understand? Not every RPG is a simulator or open-ended. Some are story-driven: the way situations unfold and how you’re able to use a character’s ability or class are largely dictated by just that.

The quote in the post homes in on the age old comparison of western vs eastern design philosophy (especially with RPGs).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nice. The second game didn't really have classes either but I wonder if they'll include a pre-game "pick your branch of the military" thing which kinda-sorta served as a class.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
SS2 had 3 classes tho. Soldier-Tech-Mage(psi). It was a final fantasy x situation of being given a class and you could either capitalize on its specialties or you could branch out (altho of course the execution was better than ffx lol)

Top Bottom