• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock remake for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, and Xbox One launches May 21

StereoVsn

I really liked it when I played it on Steam. I wonder if there are physical copies available.

Edit: Oh, PS5 version is available. Ordered! Also, this game is $40 from a small publisher yet it has a physical somehow.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

As expected only ONE copy available to buy for Xbox while PS5 had multiple. Luckily I knew that would be the case so I showed up early.

Reactions: Isa

xrnzaaas

From what I've played so far the game plays and looks very well on the PS5, but:
- it would be nice to have some basic aim assist since the controls are very sensitive to any stick movement
- some text and pad icons can be tiny, the subtitles are opposite of that and they're pretty big
- the game lacks information about the buttons used to organize items the inventory, there was some trial & error involved to learn stuff like dismantling items, it's not like on PC where you can easily figure out to press the rmb
- using the big map is a bit awkward on the controller - you move the cursor with the stick to highlight items and use the dpad to move the map
- the same button is used for interaction and reloading weapons so it's easy to use up batteries for the energy gun even if you didn't want to

Don't get me wrong, the game is still very much playable. I just expected it'll be a little more polished for the consoles considering how many months it's been since the PC release. What I do like is that the quick items bar works very well with pad controls, no complaints there.

Last edited:
This game is dope! Never played the original but I was a huge fan of System Shock 2. It’s tough too, I’m playing on easy and still having to creep my way through. Great to hear Shodan again after all these years.

Doczu

Gold Member
Any PS4 (Pro) users want to share how it runs on the system? Still on the edge if i should buy or wait and get it on the PS5.

Also, no physical for PS4, digital only?

Hudo

Here's my review: It's a pretty good remake of the original System Shock. Go play it.

And after that: Go play System Shock 2, which is Irrational Games' best game.

Umbral

We need gyro aim on PS5. They’ve done it in their other games. It’s a no-brainer here that wasn’t implemented for some reason. It doesn’t feel too good on sticks.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Missed out on this one growing up because in 1994 I was too busy playing LucasArts stuff, Carmen Sandiego and Doom II.

And while I do know the history and its influence on the medium, I've never actually seen the game in person aside from some YT vids Ive watched for a few minutes.

Fast forward to last night and I decided to take a first peep at the remake and HOLY SHIT. Like, Ive already been impressed with NightDives work but this just looks fucking incredible (and just what I need after character action with Stellar Blade and romping around Paper Mario). I had no idea these guys were this capable. I always saw them as a team that were real good at cut n dry remasters, not full blown remakes. Im beyond impressed.

Needless to say I just grabbed it on PSN and cant wait to jump in after work

1XqldEq.gif

Last edited:

rm082e

System Shock 1 and 2 were before my time, but I love Bioshock 1 and 2. Is this game significantly different from those in terms of the structure, game loop and progression, or about the same?

Missed out on this one growing up because in 1994 I was too busy playing LucasArts stuff, Carmen Sandiego and Doom II.

And while I do know the history and its influence on the medium, I've never actually seen the game in person aside from some YT vids Ive watched for a few minutes.

Fast forward to last night and I decided to take a first peep at the remake and HOLY SHIT. Like, Ive already been impressed with NightDives work but this just looks fucking incredible (and just what I need after character action with Stellar Blade and romping around Paper Mario). I had no idea these guys were this capable. I always saw them as a team that were real good at cut n dry remasters, not full blown remakes. Im beyond impressed.

Needless to say I just grabbed it on PSN and cant wait to jump in after work

1XqldEq.gif
Waiting for your impressions.

I'm in the same boat, for one reason or another never got around to playing the original or the sequel.

It's only 40 bucks...I even went to gamestop with my son and casually looked at the box.

Purchase imminent.

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
There is no physical PS4 version, right? Only PS5? Definitely want to own a physical copy regardless. Been trying to get PS4 versions of games that have the PS5 upgrade included.

Ben87fr

6 hours in and i'm completely lost, i have no idea what to do next, i like the game but this is frustrating, i had no problem finishing System Shock 2 but this ?

6 hours in and i'm completely lost, i have no idea what to do next, i like the game but this is frustrating, i had no problem finishing System Shock 2 but this ?
Probably means you missed a clue in the audio logs and area you haven't explored.

xrnzaaas

Audio logs hold all the answers and steps required to activate panels etc. Some bigger puzzles involve doing various things on different levels of the station or going back to the previous levels.

I actually love that this remake wasn't super modernized and still doesn't just show you an objective marker, turning off any thinking about what should be done next.

Last edited:
This game and IP went completely over my head for the last 30 years, I knew it was very influential and inspired Bioshock, Prey 2017, but never cared to try it for some reason... I tried the demo on Steam and holy shit I was immediately hooked lol.
I decided to go with the console version because of physical realease and the price was the same as the Steam version in my country.

To anyone that played the original, how faithful is it to the 1994 release?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
how faithful is it to the 1994 realease
Very. Same story, and mostly the same level design with very few small changes here and there.

The final boss changed. It was horrible in the original and they managed to make it even worse for the remake. That said, I think they have reworked it for the console re-release, so it might be ok now.

Ben87fr

Audio logs hold all the answers and steps required to activate panels etc. Some bigger puzzles involve doing various things on different levels of the station or going back to the previous levels.

I actually love that this remake wasn't super modernized and still doesn't just show you an objective marker, turning off any thinking about what should be done next.
Yeah i probably should listen again but i have the memory of a goldfish, i should start again i guess 😓

xrnzaaas

Yeah i probably should listen again but i have the memory of a goldfish, i should start again i guess 😓
No need, just browse the ones you've already got and pay attention to those mentioning mechanisms, steps or number combinations. The important audio logs are always in the open so it's very likely you've collected them.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Poppin in to say the level design in this game is so fucking good. Even after not playing for a few days I come back tonight and it’s like I never left the ship. It’s like Medical is already permanently imprinted on the brain piece. I love when games do this 😃

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Poppin in to say the level design in this game is so fucking good. Even after not playing for a few days I come back tonight and it’s like I never left the ship. It’s like Medical is already permanently imprinted on the brain piece. I love when games do this 😃
Right? I went to the game expecting an absolute maze, being a remake of such an old game and all that, but in the end, while still being "maze-y", the level design sort of makes sense and you end up memorizing the layout of every level without too much of a problem. It's great.

Top Bottom