• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata: Future Final Fantasy XV DLC will patch plot holes, next game new IP

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game on Xbox. Took me about a month to a month and a half to hear. I tend not to beat games anymore, but I was compelled to finish this game since I've waited over 10 years for it.

With that being said, I have no interest in the DLC. Maybe when I get the Xbox X and with a 4k patch to the game, I might dip into one or the better DLC just to see how it looks.

With a game this size, I got my fillings worth. It sucks that story elements were missing from the vanilla version, but I'm not going back to invest in something that should of been there day 1.

I will say, the game as a whole was awesome. I enjoyed my time with it a lot. I did have some issues with the story or lack thereof when I played but hopefully after all the feedback, their next game will hit it out of the park. They just need to be more consistent with their story and characters.

KTallguy

Banned
Very excited to play this game in a year+, game of the year edition or whatever.

I'm sure by then it'll be a polished experience :)

Ouroboros

Biggest reason why I wanted to play it from start to finish when it first came out. I wanted that vanilla experience. Once they are 100% done patching and adding content, I'm going to play through it again to see how different the game is from when I originally played it.

I just hope the EXP bonus trick still is intact.

RPGCrazied

Pro's High Mode (checkerboard 4K, better textures, improved effects; capped 30fps) has framepace issues too. Steady Mode (1080p; capped 30fps) and Lite Mode (1080p; uncapped, averaging between 40 and 50fps) don't have it, though. Even I couldn't play the High Mode and I'm usually absolutely not sensitive to issues like that.

You should play it on a base PS4. Its bad. At least for me. I'd rather have a little bit of screen tearing if that helped smooth it out.

Hell at this point I'd be fine with the Xbox One version, drops more resolution but doesn't have the frame pacing issues.

Socivol

FFXV story is not absent, it's just poorly told. I'm halfway through and can understand everything just fine, but it all feels underdeveloped. Don't know what they're trying to patch here.

Bingo! The story isn't complicated or complex at all. If you pay attention it's pretty easy to follow it's just sparse and could use some padding. Plot points come in and then fall out (Like finding the power of Old Kings. I think you're only required to get like 6 of the 13 weapons.) Characters go unexplained (Ravus, Gentiana, Ardyn, Luna). I feel like creating the cutscenes should be pretty easy and all of this could be fleshed out if they added more detail and another hour or two of cutscenes.

cj_iwakura

I still haven't started playing the game because the story is getting patched. I want my playthrough to be as complete as it can be. I don't think such a situation has happened with a single player game before.

Now this seems to be about DLC and I don't have the DLC. With the timed Assassin's Creed event happening, is it now a good time to start playing?
You can get the gist of the core plot, but supporting characters either disappear or die (or both) with minimal fanfare.

BriGuy

I played through FFXV last year. It was deemed complete because it was on sale at retailers and I was able to purchase it for $60. I played it and beat it.

And it was a goddamn mess. Beautiful, yes, but everything else came up woefully short of the standards I held for Final Fantasy. No DLC, no patches, and no supplementary movies are going to change that. Nothing short of altering time itself is going to change that. I played and beat FFXV. And it's one of the worst Final Fantasies ever made.

BTA

Sure, I'm in. I loved my time with XV, even with all its problems, and have not done DLC/postgame yet so I'll just wait till more's out and have fun with that too.

OK..just..stop now.

I was up for fixing a few weird things in chapter 13, and bugs obviously and the DLCs.

But it's getting too much now. The game has been out pretty much a year and they still want to "fix" these plot holes? it's too late!!

Runner67

I didn't mean in that way, I mean is it worth waiting for all the stuff to be added.
I'm already past halfway anyway but this stuff is annoying to hear.

For perspective, I stopped around chapter 8 simply because I heard that they were going to eventually be patching in story content aside from DLC in the future. I'm basically waiting for the story to become more complete. Tons of other games have kept me patient for the time being. I suggest waiting too and just forgetting about it in the meantime. When they stop updating the game, then go back and play it.

cj_iwakura

I don't blame Tabata. He clearly wanted to do more, but had a deadline, so he focused on rushing the plot to conclusion.

Runner67

OK..just..stop now.

I was up for fixing a few weird things in chapter 13, and bugs obviously and the DLCs.

But it's getting too much now. The game has been out pretty much a year and they still want to "fix" these plot holes? it's too late!!
Stop, no its not. If you are passionate about the story, you can go back and play it with all the changes. Go play something else if you don't want free content added in.

OrionX

Seems like XV dlc episodes are the new XIII-2/Lightning Returns. I prefer them making improvements to the main game over cranking out sequels.

Man, I am probably going to replay FFXV in 2 years just so see how much was added.

I'll give it a year. I sold my copy after I platinumed it without any DLC bought or season pass. I'm going to wait for the complete package to hit PC in about a year or so. But, perhaps 2 years is more realistic.

Weebos

Banned
I bought the game on sale almost a year ago (feels like it anyway) and I have been putting off playing through it because they keep patching it.

Looks like I should wait another year lol.

Edzi

FFXV story is not absent, it's just poorly told. I'm halfway through and can understand everything just fine, but it all feels underdeveloped. Don't know what they're trying to patch here.

This is pretty much it. I liked the foundation they laid out, but the game ended up feeling like sort of a demo for a much grander and more complete game. The entire end sequence, while awesome, felt like a separate segment of a finished game they just added in, and while the game had a lot of really cool highs none of them felt like they were really connected to each other or earned. The whole game felt like a bunch of different finished/unfinished portions of a game just thrown together with no worry as to how they'd flow into each other.

Still, I'm glad I played it and hopefully the PC version comes with all the new story content worked into the game. It says a lot that so many fans grew really fond of Ardyn as a villain considering how poorly his story was told, so I'm hoping they take this chance seriously and try to give the story/world the attention it deserves. That being said, don't let Tabata touch another mainline Final Fantasy game ever again.

So was this game any good or just mediocre? I enjoyed the demo, but heard after launch it was missing a LOT of content.

Too bad they fucked versus up so bad I guess. Still wanna buy it it gets a complete edition

Trago

Next game will be on new hardware. Good. Now drop Luminous and switch to Unreal 4. Or hell, Unreal 5 if it's out by then.

Runner67

So was this game any good or just mediocre? I enjoyed the demo, but heard after launch it was missing a LOT of content.

Too bad they fucked versus up so bad I guess. Still wanna buy it it gets a complete edition

Its not missing lots of content gameplay wise. There are tons of monsters, weapons, and places to explore. Unfortunately, there just were supposed to be a lot more in terms of promises.

The entire second half (or continent) is extremely linear with tons of plot happening almost too quickly. You can't explore like the first half. With this interview though it seems that they are planning on doing something to fix portions of this, for better or worse.

Learning the wrong lesson from FFXIV.
I disagree. FFXV is a diamond in the rough, and had a very, very troubled history. It's a miracle that the game is even somewhat decent. If they polished it for another year, had all the episodes in, and improved the goku fight segments, it would be the one of the best FF titles.

I'm glad they're giving FFXV attention. I'll happily buy it again.

Runner67

It doesn't even have to be integrated, just a prompt at specific parts of the story that allow you to save, exit the game, and immediately enter the DLC. Thats literally all it needs. Same thing with Comrades, same thing with anything else they plan to add. Hopefully though they actually plan to polish the main game game in terms of story, thats what I'm getting from here. Cause hopefully its not all DLC

Sciel

Bingo! The story isn't complicated or complex at all. If you pay attention it's pretty easy to follow it's just sparse and could use some padding. Plot points come in and then fall out (Like finding the power of Old Kings. I think you're only required to get like 6 of the 13 weapons.) Characters go unexplained (Ravus, Gentiana, Ardyn, Luna). I feel like creating the cutscenes should be pretty easy and all of this could be fleshed out if they added more detail and another hour or two of cutscenes.
I was quite confused by them dropping this point as well.

Learning the wrong lesson from FFXIV.
bingo.

Stop, no its not. If you are passionate about the story, you can go back and play it with all the changes. Go play something else if you don't want free content added in.
Free? They're probably going to charge and/or have a new season pass for this.

Jotakori

This is overall very frustrating.
Like I mean, I found the game fun besides the story, so fixing the story is obviously a good thing (if they can fix it, which tbh I'm not confident about) and I do want to replay it after all the patches/dlc are out to see -- but "patching plot holes" shouldn't even be a thing to begin with, man.
Really really hope this doesn't become a regular thing in SE's future.

Tabata added that one of his goals through Final Fantasy XV’s downloadable content—which will continue for an indeterminate time to come—was to patch plot holes and give players a better understanding of the game’s story. “We’re continuously growing as developers as well,” he said. “And so we’re finally at a point where we’re also able to try to challenge ourselves to tackle some of those missing pieces.”

'growing'? or 'devolving'? :) ...

daveo42

Banned
I wonder if this all just leads to a PS5 Definitive 4k Remaster of FFXV with a completely reworked story, improved pacing, and all the extra bells/whistles included. I'd assume it would also include an option to integrate the dlc stories directly into the main game because why the fuck not.

Runner67

Free? They're probably going to charge and/or have a new season pass for this.

What is specified in the first post is content patches to fix the main story, not extra DLC that Luna and Ardyn might be. They specifically say that in their mid term goals back in December. They also say that in this interview.

They already said they plan on adding new cutscenes and segments to the main story to clarify motivations for certain characters, give them more screentime, etc. This was in fact labeled as a mid term goal, we haven't actually seen that yet but this interview talks about it.

Necron

To upper management who doesn't care to know video games: I know how to fix this mess created by Wada and Nomura. I know how to hit the deadline and make a lot of money.
(Rush out an unfinished product)

To "non FF fan" players: Sorry for the delay. I will listen to your feedback and make the best looking game.
(ATR events and a lot of tech demo trailers)

To FF fans: I know it was a mess. I will patch it.
(DLC, Patches etc)

Tabata, you are a chess player.

Square-Enix's Petyr Baelish - he sold us all out!

BriGuy

I disagree. FFXV is a diamond in the rough, and had a very, very troubled history. It's a miracle that the game is even somewhat decent. If they polished it for another year, had all the episodes in, and improved the goku fight segments, it would be the one of the best FF titles.

I'm glad they're giving FFXV attention. I'll happily buy it again.
Diamond in the rough? FFXV is a turd rolled in gold leaf. One I spent 70 hours pretending I didn't smell.

Gbraga

Can we get another dungeon by the same guy who designed Pitioss as the final DLC? That would be better than any new story content.

OK, so play it with the changes.

Then feel annoyed again when they change the story again. or add to it. again.

There's a point where you need to stop.

Sciel

What is specified in the first post is content patches to fix the main story, not extra DLC that Luna and Ardyn might be. They specifically say that in their mid term goals back in December. They also say that in this interview.

They already said they plan on adding new cutscenes and segments to the main story to clarify motivations for certain characters, give them more screentime, etc. This was in fact labeled as a mid term goal, we haven't actually seen that yet but this interview talks about it.
We'll see how successful their efforts are. Its hard to imagine them being able to satisfy fans with just a few cutscenes. I don't particularly remember the specifics but I recall the reception to the additions in chapter 13 (Ravus/Iedolas cutscenes) to be rather lukewarm.

Anything "meaty" will likely be paid DLC like the episodes gladiolus/prompto/ignis are. I get that these episodes were part of the season pass, but if they really wanted to build any semblance of good faith among the fanbase, they really should be releasing future episodes for free.

I played roughly the same amount as well. Metacrtic and most of the reviewers did not call it a turd either. To each his own.
If this game wasn't one of the most anticipated mainline Final Fantasy games ever, and instead had a random JRPG title, do you think it would have gotten the same scores?

Wagram

”We're continuously growing as developers as well," he said. ”And so we're finally at a point where we're also able to try to challenge ourselves to tackle some of those missing pieces."

This is laughable trash. XV entries in and you have to grow to tell a complete narrative? You shouldn't have had the task to begin with then.

Top Bottom