• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

I love my Miix 700. It's a really nice tablet to fool around with for the price. You probably wont be playing many games on it, but it's great for media consumption and sketching.

Btw, Amazon has the pen on sale for $25 right now.

Yep. I still use it as my main on the go tablet.

BTW that pen is slightly different than the one I linked and I can't guarentee it will work 100%. The pen I use for Miix 700 says "Thinkpad" on it ironically, but works great on the Miix 700. This one says "Lenovo" and have different part number. If you have personal experience with the "Lenovo" one, let us know.

Obi

Neo Member
My tablet came with the pen, so I didn't need to buy that one. Mine does say Lenovo on the barrel though. Apologies, I didn't mean to give out misleading info. I just had that one bookmarked from when I was waiting for my tablet to ship. Didn't notice they were different. Yall should go with Shogmaster tested one.

My tablet came with the pen, so I didn't need to buy that one. Mine does say Lenovo on the barrel though. Apologies, I didn't mean to give out misleading info. I just had that one bookmarked from when I was waiting for my tablet to ship. Didn't notice they were different. Yall should go with Shogmaster tested one.

No need for apologies. Thanks to you, now we know that "Lenovo" one works perfectly well on the Miix 700! $25 is much better than $40 for sure.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i need a surface book deal. somebody help!

performance base i7, 512GB, 16gb ram version to be specific.

a place that offers military discount would be even better.

zulux21

II would assume it's manufacturer's refurb, but never the less, $450 is a great deal.

Presumably today only.

34-319-896-19.jpg

You will need to order the pen separately for $40.

how is the battery life for this?

edit: it fits my needs well and has decent reviews so I said screw it and bought it.
ideally photoshop will run well enough on it, but you guys say it's a good travel one for you so i am sure it will be fine.

I love my Miix 700. It's a really nice tablet to fool around with for the price. You probably wont be playing many games on it, but it's great for media consumption and sketching.

Btw, Amazon has the pen on sale for $25 right now.

thanks for the heads up
ended up snagging a warehouse deals one for 12 lol.

how is the battery life for this?

edit: it fits my needs well and has decent reviews so I said screw it and bought it.
ideally photoshop will run well enough on it, but you guys say it's a good travel one for you so i am sure it will be fine.

thanks for the heads up
ended up snagging a warehouse deals one for 12 lol.

Congrats but do yourself a favor and run Clip Studio Paint on this sucker. Photoshop will run fine, but the brush lags unless you run it with Performance power profile, which will quickly drain the battery. Clip Studio Paint is much more efficient, and gives you much more expressive and responsive brushes. And it's only $50. Sometime even less on sale.

Mailbox

Bulzeeb

Hi guys I am trying to get I to digital art so this thread is great, also, is there any sub $200 device that I can use to practice while I am away from my laptop? Thanks for any advice in advance

zulux21

Congrats but do yourself a favor and run Clip Studio Paint on this sucker. Photoshop will run fine, but the brush lags unless you run it with Performance power profile, which will quickly drain the battery. Clip Studio Paint is much more efficient, and gives you much more expressive and responsive brushes. And it's only $50. Sometime even less on sale.

thanks for the response.
I will pass that info on to my wife, as personally I have troubles drawing stick figures :p

I still find it weird that woot says i am the only one that bought this though.
I also find it weird that I can't find that configuration of the tablet anywhere... though I am assuming that this must have once been the 256gb model and there was an issue with the hard drives so they just slid a 128 in there instead as the 256 was the only one I saw with 8gb of ram.

so there are already a couple of video reviews on youtube of the dell canvas. Looks pretty cool and its about $1,000 cheaper than the Cintiq 27HD touch

canvas-2.jpg

How much do I have to spend to get the full setup for this? *PC and Screen

Is this still the best bang for the bucks if I have no PC to hook up to it?

right now I only have a MacBook Pro and looking to find a nice way to use a Wacom pen with Clip Studio Paint (just starting out as a beginner but I hope to self publish the art I create)

I am just looking for ease of use and the largest surface area I can because my eye sight sucks

Mobius 1

I went ahead and decided to buy a Miix 700. Ended up scoring a near flawless, maxed out model for $420 on eBay, sans pen - which I bought from Amazon.

It's all getting reset and setup now. Will report back once it's up and running.

thanks for the response.
I will pass that info on to my wife, as personally I have troubles drawing stick figures :p

I still find it weird that woot says i am the only one that bought this though.
I also find it weird that I can't find that configuration of the tablet anywhere... though I am assuming that this must have once been the 256gb model and there was an issue with the hard drives so they just slid a 128 in there instead as the 256 was the only one I saw with 8gb of ram.

This is the exact same model as mine. I scored mine from Costco within a month of Miix 700's introduction. It was puzzling to see 8GB of RAM paired with M5 and 128GB SSD, but I was stoked by the price ($550). I never saw this model at Lenovo.com either, but saw them once in a while on Amazon.

BTW, the SSD is very easy to get to. I eventually replaced mine with 256GB one.

How much do I have to spend to get the full setup for this? *PC and Screen

Is this still the best bang for the bucks if I have no PC to hook up to it?

right now I only have a MacBook Pro and looking to find a nice way to use a Wacom pen with Clip Studio Paint (just starting out as a beginner but I hope to self publish the art I create)

I am just looking for ease of use and the largest surface area I can because my eye sight sucks

Unfortunately, I don't think there is going to be a OSX driver for the Dell Canvas. But you can simply bootcamp a Windows partition for your Macbook Pro.

Anony

Well, it's sub $200 new, but I can't vouch for anything.

wooow
i wanted to buy this, checks canadian store, it's 330$
:|

i guess i'll continue to wait for the miix 320
they showed it at ces or whatever, said it will release in april, it's like mid may now
they're probably going to jack up the price when they do decide to release

wooow
i wanted to buy this, checks canadian store, it's 330$
:|

i guess i'll continue to wait for the miix 320
they showed it at ces or whatever, said it will release in april, it's like mid may now
they're probably going to jack up the price when they do decide to release

Miix 320 didn't have pen IIRC. Miix 510 has pen but it's currently more expensive then Miix 700.

Fancolors

Anyone has tried the Artisul tablets before? I had the opportunity to test them and found the pen and the matte surface fantastic, but I don't know if there might be any serious issue with them I should be aware of. Otherwise I'm ordering one as soon as I can.

I also got to try installing the drivers in my rig and they worked fine. Only issue I recall is that the pen and pointer differs by a milimetre or so, but I assume that is a matter of calibration?

miix 320 will have pen support, it was suppose to come a few months after the initial release

Lenovo is always late with their products. Their page for Miix 320 has zero talk about active pen though. But even if it comes, with X5 Atom, it won't be pretty. I found even the X7 in the Surface 3 to be under powered for proper active pen usage.

Anony

Lenovo is always late with their products. Their page for Miix 320 has zero talk about active pen though. But even if it comes, with X5 Atom, it won't be pretty. I found even the X7 in the Surface 3 to be under powered for proper active pen usage.

http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/lenovo-miix-320-detachable-powering-the-side-hustle

In EMEA, the Miix 320 (keyboard included, Wi-Fi only without LTE) starts at €269 and the Miix 320 (keyboard included, with LTE) starts at €399 beginning in April 2017 on www.lenovo.com.9 The Miix 320 with Active Pen support and Microsoft Office 365™ (for 12 months) will be available in select markets beginning in July 2017 on www.lenovo.com. 9 Color options are Platinum Silver and Snow White

i plan to play osu on it, i just hope it's responsive enough (it probably wont)

http://blog.lenovo.com/en/blog/lenovo-miix-320-detachable-powering-the-side-hustle

In EMEA, the Miix 320 (keyboard included, Wi-Fi only without LTE) starts at €269 and the Miix 320 (keyboard included, with LTE) starts at €399 beginning in April 2017 on www.lenovo.com.9 The Miix 320 with Active Pen support and Microsoft Office 365™ (for 12 months) will be available in select markets beginning in July 2017 on www.lenovo.com. 9 Color options are Platinum Silver and Snow White

i plan to play osu on it, i just hope it's responsive enough (it probably wont)

Looks like Lenovo US isn't getting an active pen Miix 320 then. And Jeez, 270 Euros? It's suppose to start at $199 in US.

zulux21

This is the exact same model as mine. I scored mine from Costco within a month of Miix 700's introduction. It was puzzling to see 8GB of RAM paired with M5 and 128GB SSD, but I was stoked by the price ($550). I never saw this model at Lenovo.com either, but saw them once in a while on Amazon.

BTW, the SSD is very easy to get to. I eventually replaced mine with 256GB one.

Ah cool.
I likely won't bother changing it. most of the games I would want to put on it aren't very big (though a few of the visual novels get up a bit in size) and my wife's art stuff can always be moved to an sd card after she finishes them.

I am curious to see how well the thing draws as even using an old dell tab it worked well enough for my wife, so an actual good windows tablet should be great for her. I have over a week to wait for it though :(

So the Miix 700 @ $450 was still too much for your wallet, and you didn't want to spend $150 on a no name Chinese tablet either? Well this then might be 'just right' compromise.

en-INTL-L-Asus-T102HA-C4-GR-QF9-00730-mnco.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Af_-MYbAcc

Transformer Mini T102HA is a Surface 3 clone from Asus. Like Surface 3, it uses N-Trig pen paired with Cherry Trail Atom SoC. Unlike Surface 3, the pen and the type cover comes in the box. And for whatever reason, the Gray 64GB version is $100 less than the White 64GB version @ $249.

For that money, you aren't getting amazing hardware. The LCD is only 1280x800 but it's only 10.1" so that actually not too bad. Besides, the Z8350 is weaker than the Z8700 that's in the Surface 3, so the reduced resolution should help retain performance. 4GB of RAM is nice. No 2GB version to even worry about. But the 64GB eMMC isn't going to be fast nor too capacious.

But then again, it's $250 with everything included. I spent something like $700 on my Surface 3 with pen and type cover so by comparison, it's an amazing bargain. I didn't feel that Surface 3 was worth $700 after a year or so with it, but something tells me $250 might be justified by this thing. Just make sure to run something light and efficient for drawing like Clip Studio Paint on it.

BTW NO IDEA how long the price will hold...

P.S. No matter how good or bad this thing is, IMO it's a better art tablet than something like Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S-Pen for $299 since it will run much better art apps like Clip Studio Paint. The Samsung is a nice Android tablet with pen but Android part is the anchor in the art department...

WillyFive

The Surface 3 is defientaly worth $250, nothing more. Such a useless machine due to how slow it is, can barely even draw with it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well this then might be 'just right' compromise.

en-INTL-L-Asus-T102HA-C4-GR-QF9-00730-mnco.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Af_-MYbAcc

Transformer Mini T102HA is a Surface 3 clone from Asus. Like Surface 3, it uses N-Trig pen paired with Cherry Trail Atom SoC. Unlike Surface 3, the pen and the type cover comes in the box. And for whatever reason, the Gray 64GB version is $100 less than the White 64GB version @ $249.

For that money, you aren't getting amazing hardware. The LCD is only 1280x800 but it's only 10.1" so that actually not too bad. Besides, the Z8350 is weaker than the Z8700 that's in the Surface 3, so the reduced resolution should help retain performance. 4GB of RAM is nice. No 2GB version to even worry about. But the 64GB eMMC isn't going to be fast nor too capacious.

I wonder if we should return our Chromebook for this...

Miix 510 deals are not as affordable as Miix 700 ones on the net, but for those who want muscle of full Core i5 ULV blazing at all time @ 15W like Surface Pro 4s, it might be a better proposition (Miix 700 uses Core M that fluctuates between 4W and 15W depending on load and thermals). While you can find 8GB Miix 700 for low as $450, Miix 510 with 8GB for $699 is a good find from reputable site like Newegg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2XyNJ7byZc

A1N8_1_201705042084554250.jpg

Some other differences with the Miix 700:
- Not fanless cuz Core i5 is 15W (This version is 6th gen Skylake. Some Miix 510 have Kaby Lake 7th gen, but only at 4GB).
- Less battery life than Miix 700 since 15W all time vs 4~15W.
- USB-C is used for display out.
- NO uSD slot
- The SSD is PCIe so faster (vs SATA M.2 SSD)
- LCD is 12.2" 16:10 and lower resolution of 1920x1200 (vs 12" 3;2 and 2160x1440)
- Touch panel is actually manufactured by Wacom so you can run actual Wacom Wintab driver and map the pens barrel buttons. (Miix 700 uses Elan panel that happens to be Wacom AES compatible, so no official Wacom Wintab driver)

I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with a pen (but it does with backlit type cover). This pen for $25 should work.

No idea when the price will change.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm still trying to decide on an equivalent to a "Surface Pro 5" if MS is indeed not going to release one anytime soon. I did read the rumors that they could release a spec-bumped Pro 4, is that still being expected?

Are there any art suitable tablets with decent power (CSP as well as PS use) on the immediate horizon (next few months)? Basically, I just want something that can give me a wacom companion or mobilestudio like experience in terms of its stylus capability, but that I won't feel tempted to replace until maybe 3 years from now, so it can't be too underpowered. It will be exclusively for CSP/PS art creation and some content consumption like Netflix and web browsing.

I'm kinda hesitant to jump on one of these lenovo cause I've never used any of their computers before. A Surface Pro 5 is what I was really hoping for.

I'm still trying to decide on an equivalent to a "Surface Pro 5" if MS is indeed not going to release one anytime soon. I did read the rumors that they could release a spec-bumped Pro 4, is that still being expected?

Are there any art suitable tablets with decent power (CSP as well as PS use) on the immediate horizon (next few months)? Basically, I just want something that can give me a wacom companion or mobilestudio like experience in terms of its stylus capability, but that I won't feel tempted to replace until maybe 3 years from now, so it can't be too underpowered. It will be exclusively for CSP/PS art creation and some content consumption like Netflix and web browsing.

I'm kinda hesitant to jump on one of these lenovo cause I've never used any of their computers before. A Surface Pro 5 is what I was really hoping for.

Look, unless SP5 has a quad core CPU (there is smidgen chance if it uses AMD Ryzen mobile SoC), It's not going to be any more special than what's out already. The problem with all these tablets as your main art machine is that they all pack dual core 15W ULV processors. That includes the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro. The only good thing about that thing is the EMR pen and a discrete GPU.

I use my Miix 700 as on the go sketch machine. It's light and has decent battery so it's perfect for that role. But at home, I have a quad core i7 machine mated to an old Cintiq when I have to get serious with my files. SP5 won't give you that either. Get these tablets as a supplemental devices, not as your main workstation, no matter the Surface Pro hype. Don't spent over a grand. Spend like $500~700 and save the rest for the Dell Canvas for home use.

Rootbeer

Banned
I appreciate your comments very much.

I have been most tempted by the mobilestudio pro, but I might wait until either a price drop or spec bump (or really good sale? yeah right :p)

Still consuming some reviews of the Miix variants to see if I would be happy with one of those instead though.

I appreciate your comments very much.

I have been most tempted by the mobilestudio pro, but I might wait until either a price drop or spec bump (or really good sale? yeah right :p)

Still consuming some reviews of the Miix variants to see if I would be happy with one of those instead though.

Mobile Studio Pro still feels like Wacom gouging for sake of gouging. Can't support that personally. These electro static pen devices like Surface Pros and Miix devices will feel different than electro magnetic resonance pens like Wacom Cintiqs. But you do get use to them. You can still do your best works on them with adjustments. But the key IMO is not to blow your budget on one.

I use Clip Studio, it still stutters when drawing.

2 things you can try:

- Put the power profile on Performance if it is available.
- Lower the canvas resolution and brush size.

Really? My SP3 Works fine with Clip Studio with files around 6k px. What brushes are you using? Heavily textured brushes are going to lag no matter what.
I think I was doing pretty good with my SP3 and CSP when using 4000x3000 canvas and up to 50 pixel wide pastel, chalk and pencil brushes.

HOLY SHIT! Newegg is virtual treasure chest for cheap refurb or new Active pen Windows tablets for $400! This is crazy. I found like 5 different models, one of them new not refurb!

I will make 5 separate posts for them so it's not too confusing.

34-267-734-S01.jpg

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834267734

This is a refurb sold and shipped by Newegg. They will charge $2.00 for shipping on top of the $385.99 for the unit.

This is a 12" 2 in 1 with same Elan touch panel used by Lenovo Miix 700, which means it will support Wacom AES pens, but not their official Wintab driver (so you need Photoshop CC, not CS6 or older).

It's has:
- 12" 1920x1280 IPS LCD
- Intel Core M3 (4~15W Soc), 4GB of RAM, and 128GB SATA SSD
- Comes with a proper laptop dock/keyboard instead of a type cover deal, which means you can lap it.

It's lower resolution means that the Core M3 will have to work a little less stressed than in the Miix 700. Pen does not come with it, but the Wacom's own AES Bamboo Smart for Select 2in1s ($40) or even the Lenovo AES pens (low as $25 on Amazon) will work on it. HP's own pen is a bit pricier IIRC ($60)

ABMT_131303647753219012BhxvFtPfhT.jpg

This is probably the least enticing deal of the bunch, because of the really anemic 4th gen Core i3 Y SoC(1.5GHz max). Most Core M can clock up to 15W mode at over 2GHz, but this thing is stuck @ 1.5GHz, so you will really feel it struggle with large brushes.

But it is a Surface Pro 3, and some ppl can be brand whores so there you go, and $389.99 is still a pretty low price. Unfortunately that excludes the type cover so wah wah waaaah~. It MIGHT come with the pen, but no guarantee there either.

Quick specs:
- Core i3 4020Y 1.5GHz, 4GB of RAM, 64GB SSD
- 12" 2160x1440 IPS

Obviously the new type covers and pens from Surface Pro 4 will work on it.

P.S. This deal is fullfilled through a 3rd party other than Newegg. Keep that in mind.

34-324-003-16.jpg

Remember that REALLY thin and light 12" Windows tablet with Wacom pen that only comes with a single USB-C port? 12" full tablet computer with Core M that weighs less than 1.5lbs and 6.9mm thick is pretty amazing. Well, at Newegg, a brand new one with Core M3, 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD is only $399! That's pretty amazing deal, even if the type cover thingy is not included. The pen IIRC is included in the box.

If you want a version with Core M5 instead of Core M3, you will have to spend $150 more. A Core M5 with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD version is also available for $699 as well. They are not as amazing deal as the Core M3 for $400 though...

34-267-731-S02.jpg

This is basically the same guts as the Pavilion X2 12 in a fancier branding and more Surface Pro 4 like form factor. I'm pretty sure that it has the same Elan panel as the Pavilion X2 12 and Miix 700, so you probably won't get official Wacom Wintab driver support. But AES pen works as long as you get HP's own version. For some reason, the Lenovo pen worked intermittenly on it, while the Pavilion X2 didn't have the same problem IIRC.

never the less, $408.99 is pretty good price for this, especially since I'm pretty sure that the type cover comes in the box. So you just need to procure the HP's own AES pen, which is $30 according to HP website.

34-861-661-S01.jpg

This is IIRC, Dell's business oriented SP4 clone, but using 12.5" 16:9 aspect ration IPS LCD with Wacom AES. It does have kickstand similar to SP4, and also has a type cover available, but it does not come in the box. I'm also don't think the pen comes in the box either.

But still, this is a sleek business warrior tablet that happens to have Wacom pen, and this particular deal for Core M5, 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD is only $409, which is like $800 less than the MSRP IIRC.

The pen for this is sold by Dell for $50. I never tried this unit, so I don't know how compatible with existing AES pen it is. With all the damn frequency variations out there for Wacom AES, this pen is the only one that I can guarantee that will work.

Go for this model if for some reason you prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio and 12.5" LCD.

What are the biggest tablets on the market?
I'd love one like the Miix, but in 15 inch or bigger.

Dell Inspiron 15 i7568 with 1080p touch LCD is the cheapest one you will find with Wacom AES pen. This one listed on eBay for $550 should be the right one as long as the seller was accurate with the product description.

BE VERY CAREFUL! Not all Inspiron 15 i7568 will have pen capability. 4K screen (UHD) version will NOT have pen capability. Also later models (i7569 etc.) will not have pen capability. ONLY i7568 with FHD (1080p) screen will be Wacom AES enabled.

UrbanRats

The Surface 3 is defientaly worth $250, nothing more. Such a useless machine due to how slow it is, can barely even draw with it.

And the Microsoft digitizer still doesn't look on par with the competition, from the videos i've seen.
A bummer, since in terms of portability there doesn't seem to be any other good competition for the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro (Apple pencil doesn't count, since it's another OS entirely) which of course is absurdly priced.

Top Bottom