• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets, laptops, phones with no charge may not be allowed on plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems the TSA have just announced a new measure that will come into effect at some airports - it mentions overseas airports, but no specifics, though earlier this week they talked about upping security at airports with direct flights to the US.

If you can't turn on your phone, tablet or laptop etc then you will not be permitted to take the device on the plane.

So best make sure you take a charger with you!

During the security examination, officers may also ask that owners power up some devices, including cell phones. Powerless devices will not be permitted onboard the aircraft. The traveler may also undergo additional screening.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2014/07/06/enhanced-security-measures-certain-airports-overseas

Alx

I thought it was already the case. Or at least they used to ask people to turn their laptop on at security controls, since it is quite easy to disguise explosives as a laptop battery. Or so they say.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
"You can't power up your phone? How do we know it's a phone and not an explosive device?"

I'm certain this is to narrow down the indecisiveness.

Ty4on

But, why?

Lithium ion batteries can explode if they are too discharged. Devices ofc have fail safes that kill the battery when it happens (which is why devices left in a drawer dies) and shut of well before that, but they are probably trying to be extra safe.

I'm guessing you could also hide stuff inside a phone/laptop thanks to all the metal.

rpmurphy

Is this only for carry-ons? If you bought an iPad, can you get the unopened box through security or in a checked-in bag?

mjontrix

They are going to siphon off all the data from the hardware that they can get. It's as simple as that. No more Snowdens.

Lithium ion batteries can explode if they are too discharged. Devices ofc have fail safes that kill the battery when it happens (which is why devices left in a drawer dies) and shut of well before that, but they are probably trying to be extra safe.

I'm guessing you could also hide stuff inside a phone/laptop thanks to all the metal.

Yeah, I've had that happen to multiple devices, would be funny if one actually exploded in a drawer. I guess they could fit bombs in those cases.

Abounder

Banned
Haven't we all played Watch_Dogs by now? It's so the USA can hack into our devices.
Actually I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom