• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Takako Minekawa - Voice of the Playstation Ads - Is An Amazing Musician

#Phonepunk#

Banned
One of my favorite musicians is Takako Minekawa, a Japanese singer who has made a number of albums that span many genres ranging from 90s art rock to experimental synthesizer pop to cut up collage and sample based music. She often collaborated with Keigo Oyamada (known as Cornelius, the two were married for a time) during the 90s as well as acts like Buffalo Daughter and Dymaxion. She is also the voice who says "Play station" at the end of the Playstation ads. Millions of people know her voice and have never heard her incredible music.

Some of her music videos:

Some of my other favorite tracks:

From Wikipedia:

Takako Minekawa (嶺川貴子, Minekawa Takako, born June 3, 1969) is a Japanese musician, composer and writer.

As an accomplished all-around musician, Minekawa's musical skills set her firmly outside of the J-Pop "idol" tradition: she writes and composes most of her material, singing quirky lyrics about subjects such as clouds, cats, and the color white (her personal favorite), with her love of Kraftwerk and French Pop Music also showing through her unique experimental sound. She often makes use of vintage Casio keyboards and analog Moog synthesizers, as well as vocoders and other electronic instruments.

Minekawa's musical influences are as varied as her lyrics. An avowed fan of French pop, some of her favorite French artists include Françoise Hardy and Pierre Bachelet. The influence of the British band Stereolab can also be heard in her music. While there are certainly touches of humor in her lyrics and tone, she is a sincere fan of Krautrock, particularly the earlier works of electronic music pioneers Kraftwerk, to whom she dedicated the song Kraftpark! In an interview, Minekawa explained her admiration for the band: "I decided to describe the landscape of Kraftpark with sound and narration. This song is not a parody of Kraftwerk. I did it because I love them!" Another influence is former Yellow Magic Orchestra member Haruomi Hosono, who she paid tribute to with cover versions of his song "Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa" (1984), in 1995 and again in 2007 with Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Discography

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
youtube has some full albums up if you want to check them out.

here is Roomic Cube from 1996. this is her second album, made in collaboration with Buffalo Daughter. it is heavy on the psychedelic rock as well as minimalist analog electronics

Naibel

Haha, I knew there was something going on with that weird "Pureisuteshon" jingle, but the fact that behind it is a very talented musician, now that's something !

Thanks a lot for the discovery #Phonepunk# #Phonepunk# ! I love that quirky yet upbeat style that would fit right in a Katamari game or in Jet Set Radio Future (for the more upbeat, rockier songs).

I totally get why Cornelius and her collaborated together, they seem to share the same influences, the same quirkiness, that same love for distorting, manipulating, experimenting with sounds, instruments and samples. And my gosh, Stereolab, Kraftwerk, Françoise Hardy and Pierre FREAKIN' Bachelet as favorite artists, now that's what I call having great musical taste ! "1.666666" sounds like a French pop/rock song from the 60's and I love it. I'm just so glad artists from all over the world enjoy and are influenced by our musicians, this is something us French should be more proud of I think.

I needed something to brighten my mood after a few tough days, and this is the perfect fit ! :messenger_ok: I will further look into her discography now, thanks again :messenger_musical:.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Her 1999 album Fun9 is maybe my favourite. It features her working with a number of producers incl Cornelius. One song has her doing the “doo doo doo” backing vocals from Lou Reed’s “Take a Walk on the Wild Side”. the album is called Fun9 because 9 is pronounced “ku”, so to a Japanese speaking person it is pronounced the same as Funk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom