• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Take It Off, You Terrorist!" - Woman Attacked For Wearing A Niqab (Video Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it traditional garb? I always keep reading that it's fairly new thing and has no basis in Quran.
It's a traditional garb in certain cultures. There are plenty of things muslims, just like christians, do from cultural tradition that aren't directly stated by the book.

Is it traditional garb? I always keep reading that it's fairly new thing and has no basis in Quran.

As far as I am aware, there is no order in the Qur'an for women to dress like a Ninja, yes. It's a more of a cultural thing.

Honestly, as a Muslim myself, I am sometimes annoyed when I see women in Niqab/Burka. Seems so unnecessarily overdone and it creates a sense of women being just merely a "thing" to be safeguarded.

Just putting this here so you know which veil is called which. You might have confused miqab for burka.

22_niqabgraphic2.jpg

I'm sorry but the Burka (even the eyes covered) is on some "whatthefuckisthisshit" status. That's just ridiculous.

Do people really just walk around like this or is it for special ceremonies?

Can they at least see?

Alanood

Honestly, as a Muslim myself, I am sometimes annoyed when I see women in Niqab/Burka. Seems so unnecessarily overdone and it creates a sense of women being just merely a "thing" to be safeguarded.
I agree, I'm a muslim and 100% against this crap, but you know, my culture forces me to wear it lol

There are millions who do that, google it.

Bishop89

But... we're in a thread about a similar incident happening in Australia.....

its not really the same thing though because this lady has clearly only recently immigrated to Australia.

All the bigotry that we see from the states are from the locals, not immigrants.

Which is what Im referring to.

NEO0MJ

Can they at least see?

It's pretty uncommon even in Muslim countries outside central Asia. I assume there are a series of holes in the area that cover the eyes that allow the wearer to see.

Little trivia, in the gulf states burka usually refers to an iron mask worn to cover parts of the face.

21885045dc47f972c795b8da7fefe3b4.jpg

There's one more called Abaya, which is a black cloak worn over the body by women in Saudi Arabia. It is combined with the head dressing Hijab.

yffnjm3.jpg

Abaya designs are a huge industry. Here's some designer collections

Designer-Abayas-and-Gowns-01.jpg

Here's Dolce & Gabbana
1-dolce-hijab.jpg

Turkish style

Top-Fashion-Sashes-Adult-New-Sale-font-b-Turkish-b-font-font-b-Abaya-b-font.jpg

Turkish style is seen all over the turkic central asian region. Also in that infamous Steven Seagal dancing like a gorilla gif

0zT7ZDb.gif
I'm more familiar with these,
I see it all over the place.

I agree, I'm a muslim and 100% against this crap, but you know, my culture forces me to wear it lol

There are millions who do that, google it.
I'll read up on it. I feel the same way as you but then you have women who claim it's a good thing so I'm left confused as to what to think about it.
It's pretty uncommon even in Muslim countries outside central Asia. I assume there are a series of holes in the area that cover the eyes that allow the wearer to see.

Little trivia, in the gulf states burka usually refers to an iron mask worn to cover parts of the face.

21885045dc47f972c795b8da7fefe3b4.jpg
That actually looks kind of cool.

Y'all should watch Under The Shadow (now on Amazon VOD), a 2016 horror film set in Tehran (one of the best horror films of 2016!) that'll make you scared of abayas ;) No Seagal cameo, sadly.

There's one more called Abaya, which is a black cloak worn over the body by women in Saudi Arabia. It is combined with the head dressing Hijab.

yffnjm3.jpg

Abaya designs are a huge industry. Here's some designer collections

Designer-Abayas-and-Gowns-01.jpg

Here's Dolce & Gabbana
1-dolce-hijab.jpg

Turkish style

Top-Fashion-Sashes-Adult-New-Sale-font-b-Turkish-b-font-font-b-Abaya-b-font.jpg

Turkish style is seen all over the turkic central asian region. Also in that infamous Steven Seagal dancing like a gorilla gif

0zT7ZDb.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm sorry but the Burka (even the eyes covered) is on some "whatthefuckisthisshit" status. That's just ridiculous.

Can they at least see?
They can barely see and their mobility is heavily restricted. It was created specifically to oppress women and the Taliban forced it on women when they were in power in Afghanistan.

Ponn

Banned
FFS lady, you live in Australia where there is an animal or insect around every corner waiting to kill you and you flip out over clothing??!

KRod-57

Banned
What's with people saying they're not okay with this woman's behavior, but they're okay with banning the niqab?

Hitting people with legal penalties for wearing a niqab isn't any better than this woman's behavior.. in fact, it's worse

Dalibor68

Banned
What's with people saying they're not okay with this woman's behavior, but they're okay with banning the niqab?

Hitting people with legal penalties for wearing a niqab isn't any better than this woman's behavior.. in fact, it's worse
No it isn't and several countries have already outlawed full veils and the ECHR deemed the ban ok (on grounds that a society has the right to ask for no hiding of your identity in public). Go read up on it.

But tbh I think that discussion would be better had in a separate thread.

Ushay

I wouldn't have been anywhere near as polite as this man if someone was harassing my wife like that. Hats off to his patience and logic.

Crazy ass bitch. Just flat out moronic.

Komo

Banned
As much as I hate seeing people wear something that is more or less a tool of oppression, calling them a terrorist is just plain dumb

caliph95

Can they at least see?

Muslim here too but in West Africa and Singapore most people just wear the hijab or head covering more for very special occasions and stuff like hajj
It's so weird for me when i see people wear the other stuff because of how unnecessary it is when people go on for they day-today lives.

caliph95

No it isn't and several countries have already outlawed full veils and the ECHR deemed the ban ok (on grounds that a society has the right to ask for no hiding of your identity in public). Go read up on it.

is the burka still ok?

Dalibor68

Banned
is the burka still ok?

No, it's burqa + niqab that are forbidden (not directly, but they fall under the definition, same as for example what a few haredi jewish women wear, etc). Usually it's talked about under the topic of "Burqa ban" but burqas are really extremely rare, niqabs can be seen more often.

kmfdmpig

its not really the same thing though because this lady has clearly only recently immigrated to Australia.

All the bigotry that we see from the states are from the locals, not immigrants.

Which is what Im referring to.

There have been plenty of videos of Australians acting like racist shit stains posted on GAF over the last few years.

My wife, who is Japanese and now living in the US (where she's been for the last 15 years), says she's never felt racism as strongly or frequently as she did while travelling through Australia.

The US sucks for racism, but don't pretend that Australia doesn't have the same issues.

Bishop89

There have been plenty of videos of Australians acting like racist shit stains posted on GAF over the last few years.

My wife, who is Japanese and now living in the US (where she's been for the last 15 years), says she's never felt racism as strongly or frequently as she did while travelling through Australia.

The US sucks for racism, but don't pretend that Australia doesn't have the same issues.

I'm not. And sorry to hear about your wifes experience.

sirap

I think she's Malaysian.

Wut.

A Malaysian would be the last person to pull this shit. We shit on each other's race constantly, but we don't fuck with a person's religion.

We're hilariously backwards that way.

Unless you happen to be Malaysian and this is an inside joke about how chinese Malaysians love Australia :p

caliph95

No, it's burqa + niqab that are forbidden (not directly, but they fall under the definition, same as for example what a few haredi jewish women wear, etc). Usually it's talked about under the topic of "Burqa ban" but burqas are really extremely rare, niqabs can be seen more often.

Sorry had a brainfart i mean hijab.

jax

Banned
These discussions about Muslim women's clothing never cease to amaze me. Let them wear traditional garb if that's what they want.

Yes, only white people actually think it went away anywhere.

I guess I'm the dumb shit for assuming it wasn't as bad in Australia

M.Bluth

Funniest part of this is her repeating "it's scary" and how she got scared when she saw the niqab-wearing woman.
Yeah, when I'm scared of someone I get all up in their shit about what they're wearing too

KRod-57

Banned

that's how you defend it.. other countries have done it?

That doesn't make it any better, and of course facing legal consequences for wearing a veil is worse than having someone yell mean things at you for wearing a veil. This isn't even debatable. You logic is like a white person comparing the rude things said to them to the societal disparities that minorities deal with every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom