• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take Two CEO "Nintendo is making a 'great effort' to support 3rd parties on Switch"

atr0cious

How about we take the history of every Nintendo launch in the last 10-15 years on one side and 'OMG this time it's gonna be different' and in two years we'll see which one bore out.
I'll go first, please name Bethesda ports for the wii u.

KORNdoggy

I'll go first, please name Bethesda ports for the wii u.

Only if you name an exclusive ubisoft game made for the switch launch?

This is a dumb comparison.

Wii-U LAUNCHED with more third party support than the switch. both reveals showed a big splash screen with developer logos on them. Unprecedented EA partnership, that resulted in nothing. How can people fall for this...again? It's like the sonic game cycle but for nintendo hardware. Lol.

1219784882919by0.png

Nairume

Banned
Well that just says it all doesn't it.

It's lip service.
Maybe, but one is saying "well we don't know, we are waiting to see how it goes" a year out from release" and the other is saying "yeah, we have stuff in the works and are happy with what we've seen"

KORNdoggy

Maybe, but one is saying "well we don't know, we are waiting to see how it goes" a year out from release" and the other is saying "yeah, we have stuff in the works and are happy with what we've seen"

And in both cases you have a situation where a publisher isn't obligated to support the machine. Even NBA is a quickly ported, no risk title. Why else would it still be ported to the PS3? if he'd have said red dead redemption 2 will be appearing day and date with all other platforms, i'd understand this "benefit of the doubt" attitude some people have. But these big third party pubs are handing out scraps and expecting us to consider that unprecedented support of the switch. They're not even trying imo.

bman94

Well since they just announced that GTA V sold over 75 million...A switch port should just be a drop in the bucket in terms of development costs.

A full fledged portable GTA could be huge.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Well since they just announced that GTA V sold over 75 million...A switch port should just be a drop in the bucket in terms of development costs.

A full fledged portable GTA could be huge.

GTAV portable... what a time to be alive 😍

I don't really get how third party support will ever get to the Switch. It's just physically impossible unless they mean old games from last gen. In that case I won't be really considering it third party support.

Wii-U LAUNCHED with more third party support than the switch. both reveals showed a big splash screen with developer logos on them. Unprecedented EA partnership, that resulted in nothing. How can people fall for this...again? It's like the sonic game cycle but for nintendo hardware. Lol.

1219784882919by0.png

wake up sheeple

Vinnk

There's also thrid party support on N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U (4 home console generations in a row btw) to point to as an example on how 3rd party support for Nintendo home consoles plays out.

But there is also the Gameboy, GBA, DS and 3DS. These are examples of how 3rd parties (at least in Japan) DO support Nintendo systems. And I think in Japan all those devs making portable games will be lining up to make stuff on the Switch. Western 3rd parties will wait and see. But if it sells well and is easy to dev for, they will probably put some stuff on it.

N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U were all very different from the other big players:

N64 used carts rather than the CD everyone else was using.
GC Didn't use DVD and also had a very different controller.
Wii was Gamecube part 2 but with a controller that made multi-platform difficult
Wii U Did not support the majority of contemporary engines and required consideration about the gamepad. It also sold like garbage.

Now the Switch, while still underpowered, supports Unreal 4 and has hype behind it. If it sells well and can indeed have software easily ported (though scaled down) I don't see much reason for devs to ignore it. Especially IF Nintendo is, as they say, making an effort this time.

I know. Big IF.

But I remain cautiously optimistic.

Dremorak

Banned
I don't really get how third party support will ever get to the Switch. It's just physically impossible unless they mean old games from last gen. In that case I won't be really considering it third party support.

maxresdefault.jpg

Theres nothing physically impossible about getting most games running on a lower powered machine. Even the least optimistic person will agree that switch is more powerful than wiiu in handheld mode, and even more powerful again docked. I dont see how most ps4 games wouldnt run on a switch at 720p handheld/ 900p docked (some maybe even 1080 if some things are simplified)

maxresdefault.jpg

Theres nothing physically impossible about getting most games running on a lower powered machine. Even the least optimistic person will agree that switch is more powerful than wiiu in handheld mode, and even more powerful again docked. I dont see how most ps4 games wouldnt run on a switch at 720p handheld/ 900p docked (some maybe even 1080 if some things are simplified)

Even the Xbox One struggles to run some games at 720 so no, the Switch can't run them at lower resolution. And if they decide to downgrade it to hell to run on the switch then no one wants to buy a heavily downgraded game while they could get it literally generations better than on the Switch at the same price on other platforms.

Dremorak

Banned
Even the Xbox One struggles to run some games at 720 so no, the Switch can't run them at lower resolution. And if they decide to downgrade it to hell to run on the switch then no one wants to buy a heavily downgraded game while they could get it literally generations better than on the Switch at the same price on other platforms.

I think you are underselling the idea of having the same game you can take anywhere. Within reason, I would totally buy a visually downgraded version of say GTA or the next Red Dead to be able to take it anywhere. If I want to play games that look amazing, thats what my pc is for. Portability is a HUGE draw for anyone who shares a tv with family/ room mates, has a commute, travels a lot, etc.

Noitshado

If the Switch sells gangbusters, third parties will make games for it. Its all there is to it. Right now its a wait and see game same as WIIU. However this time around I feel third parties are actually more interested but want to skip the low sales of launch periods. I don't think there is any technical limitations. You could argue third parties would think some games are not a good fit but if the marketshare is big they will still bring it over either as a port or will take the time to make changes to what they believe is good for the target audience. I also feel Nintendo didn't count on regular third party as soon as they designed the Switch. I feel they double downed on indies and mobile devs to fill in their third party support as they have always been more receptive towards Nintendo.

maxresdefault.jpg

It isn't just purely graphics

Every game isn't as simple as turning settings down till it runs ok. People's obsession with teraflops and resolution has made them forget there is a entire other half of the equation

Shadow of Mordor on 360 is actually a good example of that. It's technically a port but it's missing the core defining feature of the current gen version. And that's after the graphics and enamy counts got slashed.

I am curious how switch handles the CPU heavy stuff. Tegra never exactly been known for smooth framerates in big 3d games . I will guess that will be the bottleneck before anything else

Every game isn't as simple as turning settings down till it runs ok. People's obsession with teraflops and resolution has made them forget there is a entire other half of the equation

Shadow of Mordor on 360 is actually a good example of that. It's technically a port but it's missing the core defining feature of the current gen version. And that's after the graphics and enamy counts got slashed.

I am curious how switch handles the CPU heavy stuff. Tegra never exactly been known for smooth framerates in big 3d games . I will guess that will be the bottleneck before anything else

You're probably thinking of the Tegras in the Shield devices which have to run an Android overhead. While nothing about the Switch CPU is confirmed yet, if the Foxconn leak is accurate it will perform on par or better than the PS4/XB1 CPUs at most operations.

LordRaptor

You're right, but that's where we are with this gen of consoles; they're actually weaker than last gen in single thread performance, and the PS4Pro and Scorpio are being sold on purely graphical capabilities.

This gen is weird.

AMD gave Sony and MS a good deal on cheap mid-range GPUs, because they bundled them with pretty crappy CPUs that they couldn't sell to mobile manufacturers, and we have Nvidia seemingly selling Nintendo a SOC that has great CPUs and a pretty good GPU that they couldn't sell to mobile manufacturers (but for entirely different reasons).

The performance differential between the two camps just isn't what people think it is. I think people are going to be surprised if any of the third parties bring their big guns over at how little 'compromise' is involved outside of image quality.

atr0cious

Wait so now it has to be an exclusive? These goalposts keep moving. By that measure, the wiiu has the best third party support of any current generation console, and that's not at all accurate. Steep is coming to the switch and I'm sure more will be announced at e3. The truth is we've never seen this type of support from Bethesda and other big"mature" IP holders. The systems form and function do matter so I'm not expecting a lot of heavy duty aaa game, but token support like the Wii days would be nice. More excited for traditional 3ds third party efforts.
The hardware could handle it, but the money wasn't the for the effort to port it. You really think the wii u is less powerful than the ps3? No, the install base made it worth it. With an easier system to code for, expect some surprise announcements.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
But is it about Nintendo supporting third parties? Or is it about the console making 3rd party support worthwhile?

If Nintendo makes a console that discourages third party support (in whatever way) then isn't that Nintendo NOT supporting third parties?

Lexxism

You're probably thinking of the Tegras in the Shield devices which have to run an Android overhead. While nothing about the Switch CPU is confirmed yet, if the Foxconn leak is accurate it will perform on par or better than the PS4/XB1 CPUs at most operations.
What was the CPU mentioned by Euro Gamer? And what's the CPU on foxconn leak?

NoKisum

Take Two should just get Rockstar to make a GTA Chinatown Wars 2 for Switch (or something in that spirit), and we're good.
Or at least I would be, considering that's what made me stick around with the series.

Roo

There's also thrid party support on N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U (4 home console generations in a row btw) to point to as an example on how 3rd party support for Nintendo home consoles plays out.

All of which, one way or the other, had a major handicap that prevented third party support from reaching its full potential.

What was the CPU mentioned by Euro Gamer? And what's the CPU on foxconn leak?

So Eurogamer only had information on the CPU clocks, they explicitly said they didn't know the final core configuration. The clocks they had were 1GHz. Everyone has been assuming that the Switch uses a standard Tegra X1 chip (which Nvidia has officially debunked by calling it a custom Tegra SoC) which would have 4 A57 cores. Those cores at 1GHz would probably be somewhere around half the performance of 6 Jaguars at 1.8GHz (correct me if I'm wrong on the clock speeds).

The Foxconn leak discussed in this thread (which got a lot of very specific things right back in November (such as the exact battery capacity, orange and blue joycons, and the SL and SR buttons on the inside of each joycon) indicates that the chip was tested for 8 days straight with the CPU and 1.78GHz, which likely wouldn't be possible with an A57 on 20nm, meaning it would likely have to be an A72 at least, on 16nm. Or the leaker lied about that part. But he seems quite legit, nothing he has said so far has been outrageous or debunked yet.

4x A72s at 1.78GHz would perform quite favorably against the Jaguars in PS4/XB1 and even (apparently) the same CPUs in the Pro and Scorpio. The Switch CPU would be a good deal superior in single threaded (per core) processes, and likely about on par in multi-threaded processes. Again, take all of this with a grain of salt though.

KORNdoggy

Wait so now it has to be an exclusive? These goalposts keep moving. By that measure, the wiiu has the best third party support of any current generation console, and that's not at all accurate. Steep is coming to the switch and I'm sure more will be announced at e3. The truth is we've never seen this type of support from Bethesda and other big"mature" IP holders. The systems form and function do matter so I'm not expecting a lot of heavy duty aaa game, but token support like the Wii days would be nice. More excited for traditional 3ds third party efforts.

you brought up an example of third party "support" (i use the term loosely) from bethesda, i brought up an example of BRAND NEW third party support from ubisoft that was actually exclusive to the Wii-U. something the switch doesn't even have. it's not moving the goalposts, it's just giving another example of the lack of ACTUAL support the switch is getting.

bethesda are "supporting" the switch with a 6 year old game. where's fallout 4?
ubisoft are "supporting" the switch with a failed game (steep) and titles we saw at the launch of the Wii-U, where is ghost recon or for honor?
EA are "supporting" the switch with FIFA, rumoured to not even be the version the competition has running on frostbite engine. where's battlefield 1 or titanfall?
take two are "supporting" the switch with NBA2k18, a game that's also ported to LAST GEN consoles. where's GTAV or the news about RDR2?

if this was the "support" sony or MS were getting at the launch of a new system, people would be worried as hell.

these are half baked offerings, using old, non-risk titles as a gesture of goodwill. but they are literally the bare minimum when it comes to legitimate third party support. the fact we already have publishers going on record saying for their latest/up and coming titles won't be on the switch says it all.

i mean, if E3 rolls by, and RDR2, the latest COD, battlefield, and the new AC, get announced for day and date release on the switch, i'll happily eat crow, i just don't see that happening, and i certainly don't see current examples of third party "support" as evidence it will either.

it's just another round of lip service ripped almost directly from history. devs and publishers not wanting to completely burn bridges so are saying nice things about wanting to support the machine, but not particularly wanting to commit to this thing either.

1219784882919by0.png
Someone please create an infographic like this for the Nintendo 3rd party cycle. Please.

Honestly I'd love for HD remasters from 3rd parties. Like release some collections from the 360 era, to play portable. Like a Cod collection, or even a comprehensive Resident Evil collection.

Portability to me is a huge boon, and would make me buy a lot of remastered oldies.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
GTA V on the go would be amazing.

However, do we really want Nintendo to port beg for old games, or have all the new ones come out on the platform?

If Switch is successful (reaches 10 million sold in year one) then GTAV will 100% come to the platform. On the go GTAV should have (along with Overwatch and Rocket League) been Nintendo's first aims for third party support. These games are forces of nature amongst the very audience they seem to be targeting going on the ads.

EVH

I would really wait for the final performance of Skyrim in Switch. It is an old game and I still think they will release it running at 10fps.

killatopak

Gold Member
If Switch is successful (reaches 10 million sold in year one) then GTAV will 100% come to the platform. On the go GTAV should have (along with Overwatch and Rocket League) been Nintendo's first aims for third party support. These games are forces of nature amongst the very audience they seem to be targeting going on the ads.

10 million? Practically impossible.

opricnik

Banned
I think you are underselling the idea of having the same game you can take anywhere. Within reason, I would totally buy a visually downgraded version of say GTA or the next Red Dead to be able to take it anywhere. If I want to play games that look amazing, thats what my pc is for. Portability is a HUGE draw for anyone who shares a tv with family/ room mates, has a commute, travels a lot, etc.

If you want to play GTA V on portable too much just buy a GPD win already.It will get third parties Switch wont ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME7kQuB5GAA

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Did I say it wasn't his idea?

You implied the Switch's sleekness, tech-prowess and screen were a new management's decision, yes

"Nintendo releasing sleek modern hardware that doesn't resemble a child's toy..who would have believed this a few years ago?"

Your words, not mine.

I'm talking about how the company is being run NOW. It's not the same Nintendo..at least in my opinion.

Well, give us some examples.
So far I saw plenty of mistakes being made by Kimishima, especially PR wise with the all 3DS successor talk and software output possibly split over two platforms once again, something that Iwata seemed to have learnt to avoid.

Well, give us some examples.
So far I saw plenty of mistakes being made by Kimishima, especially PR wise with the all 3DS successor talk and software output possibly split over two platforms once again, something that Iwata seemed to have learnt to avoid.

Those were mistranslations. No one has ever said a word about a 3DS successor. All of the actual evidence points to combined output on the Switch- 9 first party games announced in the first 10 months, with more surely to be announced at E3.

Top Bottom