• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO on Nintendo NX: "We are very interested"; also talks Playstation VR

Hiltz

Yeah, I'm not buying into that PR response either. Naturally, a lot of companies consider supporting more platforms, but without a perceived target audience for their games on a Nintendo platform, it essentially means Nintendo's screwed from the start beyond those few brave third parties that want to give NX the benefit of the doubt.. and it doesn't usually work out afterwards in their favor. Take-Two, nice try!

Bioshocker

To me all this feels weird. Aren't dev kits out yet? Doesn't third parties know anything about the NX yet? If so, how can Nintendo expect developers to have games ready for launch? I don't know, but if the NX is supposed to launch in March/Spring 2017 (March feels a bit unrealistic right now), devs must get more than just 8 months to develop games for it.

He also saw Zelda and understood that no 3rd party game can compete on a Nintendconsole against Zelda. The wait and see approach is probably the right decision, old ports wont help. Nintendo has to grow the installbase.

Plenty of third party games have competed with Zelda and outsold it. GTA5 would destroy it. Publishers aren't taking a wait and see approach because they're afraid gamers won't buy their games. They're afraid gamers once again won't buy the console.

Freeman

Banned
I think that for any company investing a little bit in VR has a great upside. Maybe your franchise will be the one that happens to work well in VR, its also better to learn now than later, you don't want to be left behind.

Sure they are only reason one game on the Wii U.

I am sure they are willing to support NX. Wasn't Carnival Games super successful on Wii?

That's why I take 2k, EA and Ubisoft's word with a grain of salt.

Plenty of third party games have competed with Zelda and outsold it. GTA5 would destroy it. Publishers aren't taking a wait and see approach because they're afraid gamers won't buy their games. They're afraid gamers once again won't buy the console.

CoD games on Wii sold really well and Activision continued releasing them after Reflex despite being dominated by the casual market. When the Wii U released, people expected better visuals and performance but journalist kept bringing up how weak the CPU is and DF comparison showing ports being identical to the Ps3 and 360 version. Thus kinda made people not buy the system and games.

bachikarn

I do think Zelda is the wildcard. If it ends up as good as people are expecting, it is going to attract a core audience that wasn't on the Wii U. A lot more people seem excited for the new Zelda than say Skyward Sword. This audience is probably more likely to buy western third party games than the typical Wii U owner.

Calm Mind

To me all this feels weird. Aren't dev kits out yet? Doesn't third parties know anything about the NX yet? If so, how can Nintendo expect developers to have games ready for launch? I don't know, but if the NX is supposed to launch in March/Spring 2017 (March feels a bit unrealistic right now), devs must get more than just 8 months to develop games for it.

How so? Final PS4 devkits didn't go out until 6 months before launch. Anything else he knows about the platform is probably locked under NDA anyways.

didnt EA said they have to prove there is an audience for their games? only way they can do that is making the kind of games EA makes and have the sell well

Doctre81

He has obviously seen the NX. Nintendo tried courting them early on with WiiU and I'm sure they did the same this time. He seems more impressed this time around though.

Neoxon

He has obviously seen the NX. Nintendo tried courting them early on with WiiU and I'm sure they did the same this time. He seems more impressed this time around though.
But they're still holding back from jumping in early on, likely due to the audience Nintendo typically attracts.

Sean

Banned
I do think Zelda is the wildcard. If it ends up as good as people are expecting, it is going to attract a core audience that wasn't on the Wii U. A lot more people seem excited for the new Zelda than say Skyward Sword. This audience is probably more likely to buy western third party games than the typical Wii U owner.

I don't see it being any different than previous generations. Gamers will buy a Nintendo console primarily for the exclusive first party titles, and ignore third parties.

Most likely NX is going to be the least powerful console on the market again (especially with Neo/Scorpio on the way) with the worst online infrastructure. People are going to buy third party games where their friends are playing, and that's on the other consoles.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"You never want to count Nintendo out"

- Statement from a third party publisher after the Wii and Wii U (and Gamecube).

Here's a similar blanket statement from 5 years ago about the Wii U:
“It is an HD platform that has the processing power to develop a compelling triple experience. If it takes hold of the market, that is good for us. So from that perspective, we are very excited about that.”

Means absolutely nothing.

meanspartan

Probably more like:

We are very interested....

....in playing some cool mario games on it. We aren't actually gonna make anything for it.

lol

thefro

Take Two would be a nice get, but I genuinely worry if those kind of games would sell on Nintendo hardware. Simply porting GTA might not be enough.

- WWE games have historically done well on Nintendo hardware

- NBA's audience skews the youngest of any major sports league and kids are a big part of the core audience for sports games in general. No reason why they couldn't build an audience for this as long as the port had parity with PS4/XB1. Personally I'd wait until Sept 2017 to launch this series on NX with NBA 2k18 since a late port of 2k17 in March at $60 would fail against PS4/XB1 versions at $20-30 on the shelves. Anecdotally I know lots of folks who own Nintendo platforms and also love NBA 2K.

- Mainline GTA pretty much sells on anything. GTA Chinatown Wars was cel-shaded and was a disappointment on both DS & PSP. I think even a late port of GTA V (which is still selling a lot and getting updates) would be beneficial for Nintendo in charging perceptions around their HW.

I think games like Red Dead, BioShock, and Borderlands are ones the core Nintendo audience would like, but you're obviously going to have to get the audience for M-rated games in the door and they can't be inferior ports to the vanilla PS4/XB1 versions.

Neoxon

Take Two would be a nice get, but I genuinely worry if those kind of games would sell on Nintendo hardware. Simply porting GTA might not be enough.
That's probably why Take-Two is likely taking the wait-&-see approach. The Nintendo audience doesn't typically buy their kind of AAA third party games on Nintendo systems, so they have no reason to support the NX Platform right now.

daakusedo

Rösti;207577299 said:
I saw some people, Benjamin Cornu of http://www.gameblog.fr/ for example, tweeting about NX being present at E3 2016 behind closed doors as well. After having talked to an acquaintance of mine, I am slightly doubtful this actually happened (at least in the way purported with hardware shown described as good/powerful).

And that would be wise cause he's citing Julien Chieze who has an awful track record on rumors. Just before E3, he was saying Minami left for nintendo and they were buying platinum...

newcarnival.png

And more: https://www.take2games.com/games/index.php?platform=9

"You never want to count Nintendo out"

- Statement from a third party publisher after the Wii and Wii U (and Gamecube).

Here's a similar blanket statement from 5 years ago about the Wii U:

Means absolutely nothing.

Actually it means exactly what it says. If a device captures the market, they'll support it. The Wii U didn't, so they didn't. If the NX does, they will.

I understand why it's good to be somewhat skeptical in Nintendo's case, but come on. Some things are just meant to be taken at face value.

z0m3le

Banned
But Espresso PUNCHES! ...above it's weight XD

Do you think is a fair assertion to qualify the level of interest as higher for NX when nobody in the gaming community knows what it is to begin with? Maybe what you ment to say is that people are interested in anything else from Nintendo after the Wii U was released. In 2013 very loud voices wanted or predicted that Nintendo would kill the console.

If we go back to the Wii U speculation threads prior to E3 2011, those were massive.

Yeah I think it is safe to assume that a lot of those people who were interested in Wii U never jumped in because Nintendo made so many mistakes with it, from all angles, name, marketing, launch lineup, value, hook... Everything about Wii U was wrong, it is no surprise that Wii U sold so badly, even as a huge Nintendo fan, I waited a year before I picked it up, I've never done that in my adult life for a nintendo product, but it wasn't until Wind Waker, Pikmin 4 and Mario 3D world that buying the console had any real value for me.

NX hasn't made these problems yet, and there is a lot of speculation on the launch lineup, if Nintendo can give us some interesting titles, we will probably see it surpassing the Wii U in a little over a year. Even faster if the handheld is part of the same platform.

Which ironically is part of the reason 3rd parties stopped trying on Nintendo platforms in the past.

Well Wii Sports is quite different than Zelda, no one makes anything like Wii Sports, not seriously at least, but a physics based action adventure? pretty sure everyone makes those, including R*.

Top Bottom