• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two disclosed its best selling games: GTA V : 145M, RDR2 : 37M, Borderlands 3 : 13M and more

Evilms

Banned
E1snbZ7WUAI7EMd

https://ir.take2games.com/static-files/38406a48-86bf-46c8-b736-828d8e95b968
  • Grand Theft Auto V : 145 million
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 : 37 million
  • Borderlands 3 : 13 million
  • Borderlands 2 : 25 millions
  • PGA Tour 2K21 : 2million

1. Grand Theft Auto Series : 345 million
  2. NBA 2K : 111 million
  3. Borderlands : 70 million
  4. Red Dead Redemption : 60 million
  5. Civilization : 57 million
  6. BioShock : 37 million

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t mean to discredit GTA but it’s been £10 in every sale on PS and Xbox for about 5 years now. And that’s the edition that comes with the GTA vbucks and extra shit. I bought it on Xbox One and PS4 but at £10 a pop (after paying full price on Xbox 360).

Raphael

I don’t mean to discredit GTA but it’s been £10 in every sale on PS and Xbox for about 5 years now. And that’s the edition that comes with the GTA vbucks and extra shit. I bought it on Xbox One and PS4 but at £10 a pop (after paying full price on Xbox 360).
Its an old game and still sells gangbusters and 145mln is just phenomenal. Is there anything that comes close?

Evilms

Banned
minecraft is not a AAA game without forgetting that it was released before GTA V and on about fifteen supports unlike the latter.

Whenever/Whatever GTA 6 is? It is going to sell a ridiculous amount of copies..like that is going to shake the damn planet when it drops. I bet the servers for the online mode are going to take an asskicking at launch too lol

This is dope tho, good to see them successful. Now give us some GTA 6 news please :messenger_anxious:

Thief1987

Seems like sales of RDR2 is very frontloaded. They sold 17 millions in 8 days, 23 in 2 months, and now 2 years and a half later "only" 14 millions, and this is including release of pc version. 37 million is a very big number by itself of course, but pace of sales slowed down very fast. Should be that after initial hype and "reviews" people realise that this is actually a very bad game.

Renozokii

Whenever/Whatever GTA 6 is? It is going to sell a ridiculous amount of copies..like that is going to shake the damn planet when it drops. I bet the servers for the online mode are going to take an asskicking at launch too lol

This is dope tho, good to see them successful. Now give us some GTA 6 news please :messenger_anxious:
Gta6 is a game I just have a hard time even imaging in my head. Looking at the leap from gtav to rdr2, knowing they have a basically infinite budget, and now have these new consoles to work with.. idk man. Rockstar is going to earn every dollar they make I think.

e&e

Banned

Do we have anything to confirm if GTA5 games are not selling to the same people each Gen? So unless GTA6 is is going to be multigen, it has no chance...

Last edited:

Renozokii

Seems like sales of RDR2 is very frontloaded. They sold 17 millions in 8 days, 23 in 2 months, and now 2 years and a half later "only" 14 millions, and this is including release of pc version. 37 million is a very big number by itself of course, but pace of sales slowed down very fast. Should be that after initial hype and "reviews" people realise that this is actually a very bad game.
Games are literally front loaded 99% of the time. Not everything can be minecraft or gtav.

skakmk

Gta6 is a game I just have a hard time even imaging in my head. Looking at the leap from gtav to rdr2, knowing they have a basically infinite budget, and now have these new consoles to work with.. idk man. Rockstar is going to earn every dollar they make I think.
Nope! both the GTA and RDR franchises were successful because of the writing and the meticulous attention to detail, which can only come from a project headed by auteur level talents like Dan Houser. Without Dan Houser I see both the campaigns failing to live up to the hype.

Last edited:
Do we have anything to confirm if GTA5 games are not selling to the same people each Gen? So unless GTA6 is is going to be multigen, it has no chance...
You can bet your bollocks that GTA6 will be a cross generation game. Its all about the money.

Renozokii

Not to such an extent, if we exclude PC version, they literally made more than a half of sales in first 8 days.
I’m pretty sure that is extremely common. Especially with games that don’t rapidly drop in price like red dead. It’s also a fact that a cowboy game is less able to appeal broadly via word of mouth compared to the modern and explosive gtav.

HAL-01

I’m pretty sure that is extremely common. Especially with games that don’t rapidly drop in price like red dead. It’s also a fact that a cowboy game is less able to appeal broadly via word of mouth compared to the modern and explosive gtav.
Don’t bother, this dude just came out of the TLOU2 school of “finding convoluted ways to shit on a games great sales numbers just cause I don’t like the game”

This incredible cashcow that is GTA5...

I think this is from online play and items or something? I played the campaign and then uninstalled ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bragr

Banned
No, a huge portion of the sales are people buying the game over again. I bought it 3 times already.

InDaGulag

Borderlands 1 sold more then 2? I wouldn't have guessed that.

You're confused. Nowhere in the document does it state the sales numbers for the first Borderlands game. It only states the sales numbers for Borderlands 2 (25 million), Borderlands 3 (13 million) and the total for the entire series (70 million).

Graciaus

You're confused. Nowhere in the document does it state the sales numbers for the first Borderlands game. It only states the sales numbers for Borderlands 2 (25 million), Borderlands 3 (13 million) and the total for the entire series (70 million).
You are right I forgot about the pre sequel and the telltale game.

Last edited:

Corpsepyre

Banned

I take it they weren't reviews then?

YCoCg

And the number will only go up with the PS5/XB1 release of GTAV this year, and don't forget the PC port of the PS5/XB1 version of GTAV next year! And then they'll sell the 10th Anniversary Special Edition version of GTAV the year after that, and then the following year the PC port of that version will come out! Nothing but GTAV, nothing stops this train as long as the money keeps rolling.

e&e

Banned
No, a huge portion of the sales are people buying the game over again. I bought it 3 times already.
That’s what I meant! Therefore it’s user base didn’t really expand. Money is money and numbers are numbers anyways...

JayK47

Interesting to see these stats. Borderlands 3 is almost half of 2? Wow. I guess I am not the only one who tired of that series. I can also see why Rockstar is in no hurry to make and release single player games. Too bad really. We got 3 GTA games on the PS2. Compare that to GTA5 being a PS3 game. Maybe we can look forward to a GTA game this generation.

Alandring

Borderlands 1 sold more then 2? I wouldn't have guessed that.
You forgot Pre-Sequel:
Borderlands 2: 22M
Borderlands 1, Pre-Sequel & Tales from the Borderlands: 35M combined, but none of them are above 22M.
Borderlands 3: 13M

Anyways, it's still a huge number for Borderlands 1 & Pre-Sequel. Compilations certainly help a lot.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It took Borderlands 2 3 years to reach 8.5 million copies.

Borderlands 3 selling 13 million in less than 2 years does not represent it getting beating in sales by BL2. A huge portion of those sales were also for only a few bucks just based on the milestones they reached after 2 years, that game was cheap as fuck forever because of the DLCs releasing.

I do believe 3 underperformed; but time.. is .. a thing lol

Last edited:
I'm just not excited for the next GTA or anything GTA related anymore. They don't want to put to bed GTA V cus they are making a ton of money on it still... And the next iteration will probably have a huge online focus as well.... As the money from shark cards will be too hard to pass up.

I'm sure it's a great game for people who love to play online but this series is almost dead to me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sam Houser and Leslie Benz left and they are clinging to GTA V updates for dear life… I am not saying GTA VI is in trouble, but it will be a kind of miracle if it gets anywhere near the level of success and legs GTA V enjoyed. Expectations and pressure are just way too high, I think Rockstar and Take 2 are a bit worried about that… I certainly would, how do you follow up something like that?

Renozokii

Sam Houser and Leslie Benz left and they are clinging to GTA V updates for dear life… I am not saying GTA VI is in trouble, but it will be a kind of miracle if it gets anywhere near the level of success and legs GTA V enjoyed. Expectations and pressure are just way too high, I think Rockstar and Take 2 are a bit worried about that… I certainly would, how do you follow up something like that?
This is all baseless speculation. Why wouldn’t they keep milking gta online it’s literally printing money?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is all baseless speculation. Why wouldn’t they keep milking gta online it’s literally printing money?
Whoa hold down your horses… that is what they are doing, but at some point they need to make a successor and you tend to want to do it before the current game completely cooled down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom