• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales Channel+ counting down to Tales of series’ 20th anniversary

Heyt

Banned
Today's image is from Tales of Xillia and features both Milla and Jude. Knowing that Zestiria is the 15th title in the mainline series and that the countdown started from 16 I'd say it's guaranteed we will get Tales of Berseria's Velvet at no.1 wich will possibly lead to new announcements regarding the game.

This does not rule out the Tales of the Best announcement but it imay put Berseria's release in a future that is not as distant as I thought it would be... it may be even comming out next year after all.

But I don't know how they could make it in time of that's the case, honestly. There's just one team at namco making Tales, and a very small one at that. Zestiria also had loads of contracted work made for it but it also had a much bigger dev time.

If it's not a 2017 game and it was at 10% six months ago with a small team making the game for 2 platfoms on the same dev cycle for the first time there's a very big chance it's going to be very very rough when it releases...

Some Nobody

Today's image is from Tales of Xillia and features both Milla and Jude. Knowing that Zestiria is the 15th title in the mainline series and that the countdown started from 16 I'd say it's guaranteed we will get Tales of Berseria's Velvet at no.1 wich will possibly lead to new announcements regarding the game.

This does not rule out the Tales of the Best announcement but it imay put Berseria's release in a future that is not as distant as I thought it would be... it may be even comming out next year after all.

But I don't know how they could make it in time of that's the case, honestly. There's just one team at namco making Tales, and a very small one at that. Zestiria also had loads of contracted work made for it but it also had a much bigger dev time.

If it's not a 2017 game and it was at 10% six months ago with a small team making the game for 2 platfoms on the same dev cycle for the first time there's a very big chance it's going to be very very rough when it releases...

Relax, we don't have much in the way of specifics on this game at all. There's still a lot of things they COULD do to make it work. Plus percentages are misleading. You can be stuck on 10 for a long time then randomly jump up an entire ten percent. We don't know how long they were working on it six months back.

At any rate, we're not getting it next year.

Heyt

Banned
At any rate, we're not getting it next year.

I am talking about domestic release only. I honestly can not see a crippled Tales of dev team at Namco releasing a decent game autumn of next year... but if they're starting promotion now it's not goinf to be an early 2017 as it sould be imo.

Sandfox

Tales of the Best sounds like a spinoff and after ToZ I'm probably going to go from importing the games from Asia to waiting for a price drop on the English version.

Soriku

Remember there were a bunch of people working on Xillia that were missing for Zestiria. They should've been working on Berseria during that time. The game is probably further ahead than you think.

Heyt

Banned
Remember there were a bunch of people working on Xillia that were missing for Zestiria. They should've been working on Berseria during that time. The game is probably further ahead than you think.

Well... I don't think so. Baba said there was only one team now and that they were understaffed. That would explain why they had to hand so many contracts and why Berseria is still early into production. It was started as Zestiria was ending. If anything i'd say the 10% number is higher than the real thing.

No parallel developing with just one small team.

Soriku

Well... I don't think so. Baba said there was only one team now and that they were understaffed. That would explain why they had to hand so many contracts and why Berseria is still early into production. It was started as Zestiria was ending. If anything i'd say the 10% number is higher than the real thing.

I've learned not to take what companies say about teams and percentages too literally. I think we should wait and see.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I kinda missed the time when there was Team Symphonia and Team Destiny. So it's just one team now with a lot cut out from the team, no? Hence all the newer Tales games felt half-assed towards the end. :(

Heyt

Banned
I've learned not to take what companies say about teams and percentages too literally. I think we should wait and see.

Look at Zestiria's credits. Lots of gruntwork by other companies and it took 3 years. If there was another team working on Berseria it would not be as low as 10% if they were 2 or 1,5 years into development no question.

I agree that time will tell, but for now nothing seems to make sense but the statements Baba made.

R0ckman

Tales of Destiny remake where Leon just completely hijacks the whole game as the main character. It's getting to that point.

Datschge

It's Bandai Namco Studios which has well over 1000 employees. Unlike with the former Tales Studio this means they could easily and quickly form new teams or increase the size of existing teams without even needing to rely on any external companies.

That they didn't for Zestiria and have Baba publicly whine about it is telling enough though.

Eidjinn

I'm going to subscribe for this thread... because I'm truly expecting Tales of Vesperia on a sony console.

Seriously, even if it's for the pc...I just need this one good news!

Sagitario

Stop acknowledging Tempest, Bamco!

It's Bandai Namco Studios which has well over 1000 employees. Unlike with the former Tales Studio this means they could easily and quickly form new teams or increase the size of existing teams without even needing to rely on any external companies.

That they didn't for Zestiria and have Baba publicly whine about it is telling enough though.
Now that's interesting! Any more insights?

Syril

Tales of Destiny remake where Leon just completely hijacks the whole game as the main character. It's getting to that point.
That totally happened already.
latest

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Tales of Destiny 1/2 remake please.
Preferably 2 since 1 was already remade and is still the best game in the series. 2 has a wonky battle system that somehow aged more poorly than games before it.

I have a love/hate relationship with 2 because Kyle is a terrible protagonist, the character designs are terrible, and the battle system isn't that good but seeing returning Destiny characters, the story, Barbatos, the world and the soundtrack are all really good. Especially the soundtrack. Sakuraba actually sounds like his usual good self in it and not his watered down Tales-y self.

Either way, not holding my breath for a remake of 2. Maybe we'll get an HD remaster of Abyss or something.

Einhander

The first time I saw Tales of Berseria, and in respect to the pirate ship theme, the first thought that came to mind was "JRPG's answer to Assassin's Creed 4". I think it's a cool direction for the Tales series. I'm interested in learning more info about the game.

Heyt

Banned

Those employees are working on other stuff. It they could not pick internal staff and went with outsourcing for their big 20th anniversay title why would they do that with Berseria? It seems they just built a core team with people that has worked in previous Tales like Hase, Miyata, Udo, Iwamoto, etc for design, directional and conceptual purposes and just outsource all the "grunt work".

Top Bottom