• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria Import Thread

aitakute

Him. Sounds good! Doesn't have Milla's lisp/microphone issue. The voice is a little edgelord but that kind of fits XD. It also sounds unique though, I don't recognize her voice, so at least for me it doesn't seem like they are using the same group of voice actors, which seems like it happens often in the localization business.

My friend told me she's an anime voice actor. Many of her roles in anime are moe characters

zeromcd73

About 6 hours in and absolutely love this game. Will write a more detailed post when I'm further in, but really surprised at how much I like Aizen and Magilou and is probs my favourite Tales of game so far. I honestly expected Magilou to be annoying but she is constantly great and funny every time. Also didn't expect Aizen to be as funny and interesting as he is; just expected him to be a mopey fuck.

Yeah that's her. I don't watch dub anime. Are her other anime roles good?

I like her. Like kayos said, she has range, and I feel like she's been improving over time. I actually didn't even recognize her at first in the above clip. I'm excited to see her take on something both emotionally weighty and different from her resume. Definitely want to hear her take on Berseria's prologue (link is to the last JP trailer).

Ben Diskin, too, as Rokuro -- I've only heard him as Saizo in Fire Emblem Fates and Jusis in Trails of Cold Steel, and I really liked him in both. So we're two for two as far as I'm concerned.

RangerBAD

I'm assuming a lot of the stuff that's voiced in the Japanese version won't be in the English version. Also (unrelated to the dub), Lifeset is the manliest man in the group.

kewlmyc

I'm assuming a lot of the stuff that's voiced in the Japanese version won't be in the English version. Also (unrelated to the dub), Lifeset is the manliest man in the group.

What makes you assume that? Everything in Zestiria that was voiced in the JPN version was voiced in the ENG version right?

RangerBAD

What makes you assume that? Everything in Zestiria that was voiced in the JPN version was voiced in the ENG version right?

There's a lot of non-cutscene or skit dialogue. This game feels like it has tons of dialogue. This is the first Tales game I've imported, so I don't know how others compare. Just a feeling, I guess.

Datschge

I'm assuming a lot of the stuff that's voiced in the Japanese version won't be in the English version.
You essentially claim that Bandai Namco falls back to their Eternia/Symphonia/Legendia/Abyss era way of cutting large chunks of voice acting in the localization. That's a pretty random assumption to make.

Kysen

Wow just had a hilarious skit with a priest in one of the villages. He asks Velvet and Magilou to confess. Turns out that was a bad idea. Good script in this game really liking Velvet/Magilou and Elenoa.

For some reason Aizens default outfit really gets on my nerves, had to buy the pirate dlc to remedy the issue.

Wow just had a hilarious skit with a priest in one of the villages. He asks Velvet and Magilou to confess. Turns out that was a bad idea. Good script in this game really liking Velvet/Magilou and Elenoa.

For some reason Aizens default outfit really gets on my nerves, had to buy the pirate dlc to remedy the issue.

I'm super glad they brought back the confession subevents :D They were funny before, they still are today!

I'm almost done with the grinding and in turn, the platinum trophy.
I'm currently farming the Combo Artist for Rokurou and Aizen, after that it's going to be massacre a few hundred enemies with 4 characters.
Then the last 50.000 TL coins I need.

This weekend I should finally be golden.

First, sorry for the double post.

Second, Platinum trophy (51st) GET! Took me 145 hours 24 minutes.

I'm glad I could get it before Persona 5 comes out! Bottom line of all this is that I really liked the game it was a blast through and through.
Platinum involved a lot of mindless grinding and I'm sure I could've been more efficient too, but those are things you learn on the way there.

Cruixant

Finished it a while ago but wanted to do a couple of sidequests to wrap it up. Overall, I really enjoyed it, kind of a surprising entry after Zestiria. It's not my favourite 3D Tales but it's pretty good, and maybe the most rounded after Graces.

Story-wise this is one of the stronger entries in the series, only behind the Xillias as the strongest for me. One of the things I really appreciated is that they stayed away from the usual Tales tropes for the most part and instead went with a different direction and tone, like they did in Xillia 2. Characters were great and also more relevant to the main story than most other Tales games, which I think really helped. I do have a few minuses like it gets a bit slow around the middle, and some villains could have had more development/screen time, but nothing too big.

Gameplay-wise: The battle system is the highlight here. Really liked the more fast-paced approach and I liked that the soul system was more on the experimental side of Tatsuro Udo. Definitely an improvement over Zestiria's, although I think I don't like it as much as the linking system in Xillia, as much as it broke multiplayer =P. The equipment/skill system is also a big improvement over Zesteria's; instead of fusing and the skill grid, now skill adquisition is like in Vesperia and you can strength your equipment with materials (unlocking bonus skills among the rewards), and also pull them apart for obtaining said materials. It's still kind of annoying, because you end up getting tons of the same piece of armor/weapons and eventually becomes a little tiring, but at least it's a lot more efficient system.

In terms of level design it's also an improvement over its predecessor. Now individual maps are much compact and small instead of huge landscapes of nothing. Think more like Kijara Falls in Xillia. Art direction was also pretty good and really helped to have more varied environments. Still, the areas in general are still pretty long and is something I hope they address a bit in their next entry.

Finally, side-content seems about the same as Zestiria without accounting for (kinda spoiler/surprising?)
voiced sub-dialogue
, but feels more significant and character focused (like in Xillia 2, but not as much). I haven't really done much of it, since I want to leave them for a second playthrough. So a decent amount, but not as crazy as in Vesperia/Graces/Xillia1.

Hmm, I think that's pretty much it.

RangerBAD

You essentially claim that Bandai Namco falls back to their Eternia/Symphonia/Legendia/Abyss era way of cutting large chunks of voice acting in the localization. That's a pretty random assumption to make.

Then assumption is the wrong word. Not a large chunk, just the stuff when talking to villagers/townsfolk/pirates.

Datschge

Then assumption is the wrong word. Not a large chunk, just the stuff when talking to villagers/townsfolk/pirates.
Filtering that out correctly (lol Legendia) is likely more work than just doing all of them (heck, many games have localized sound files that were never actually used in-game). Still don't know what makes you think Bandai Namco are suddenly going to deviate from the path they went since with Vesperia, amount of voice always had been relatively huge in Tales games, Berseria is no special snow flake there.

aitakute

Finally Elenoa joined. I love playing as her. She's so fun to play! But then I also realized one thing. Letting Velvet in the party as AI is really a bad thing. Keep running low on HP because of her break soul

Bebpo

Banned
Hey Bebpo, what are your thoughts on Symphonia, Vesperia, and Graces F so I can contextualize your opinions?

Sure.

Graces - Fantastic Tales game outside story which is generic anime 7/10 and the cast is nothing special 7/10, but the gameplay is fantastic. Best 3d Tales that feels like the original 2d Tales.

Vesperia - First half is excellent, great lead character with Yuri, Flynn is a good rival, story is interesting about anti-hero justice, gorgeous world, mediocre battle system. Second half is dumb story, nothing special cast. Ok game.

Symphonia - Was fun when it came out other than being overly long and padded with a kind of simple 3d battle system. Would not reply it today because all that stuff is gonna make it feel really dated. Story was ok, cast was nothing special.

Abyss - Improved battle system from Symphonia, good cast (Jade is top 3 Tales character), pretty epic FF-ish story, good antagonists, great art design. For the time at PS2 was great, but like Symphonia probably doesn't hold up as well these days.

Zesteria - Weaker Graces combat, but still fun. Terrible story, good cast. Some good music. Mixed game.

Rebirth - Shit story, mediocre characters, amazing battle system. Worth it for the gameplay while ignoring everything plot.

Legendia - Kinda boring way too long story with bad pacing and kinda boring battle system, but interesting cast and battles for at least being different. Clay animation style is gorgeous and the music is the best ever. A boring game that was still worth playing through.

Destiny 2 - nothing special story, ok cast, ok battle system. Was good at the time but wouldn't want to replay it.

Eternia - ok story, great cast, good battle system. Still holds up I think as classic Tales.

Destiny R, ok story, good cast, great battle system. Good stuff.

Phantasia, ok story, ok cast, ok battle system. Good first game.

Can't really say much about Xillia because I dropped it after about 10 hours and never played Xillia 2 since I didn't finish Xillia. Berseria I dropped, and one day I might go back to it, but honestly I'd rather pick up Xillia again than Berseria since the cast was a lot better/more interesting in Xillia even if the battle system and fields are just as boring as Berseria.

After I dropped Berseria, I picked up Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ and having 10x the amount of fun with it. Much better arpg combat, way better dungeons/fields, and better writing imo. I feel like Berseria was made for a very specific part of the Tales fanbase (mainly for people who hate Tales and Vesperia is the only one they really liked), and isn't made to appeal to the Tales fans that want a modern Tales game to feel like a fun modern 3d Tales formula game. Graces was that. So people who hate/dislike Graces should really like Berseria. People who really liked Graces got Zesteria which was a much weaker Graces.

Rpgmonkey

Finally finished the game (just in time for Persona 5 this weekend, heh). Took me 63 hours, but I did some sidequests and goofed around a lot, it seems like this is really a 35-40 hour game. I was playing on Evil mode but the final boss was ridiculous with a crazy one-shot spell and I didn't want to work on boosting my characters just to see the end so I knocked it down to Normal.

At first I wasn't sold on it being that great, but by the end I'd say this is a fantastic entry to the series. Definitely in my top 5, not sure at which position though. For what it's worth (and to confirm my tastes in these games as trash/good, lol) my five favorite games in the series as of now are Vesperia, Rebirth, Berseria, Graces, and Destiny R. I intend on going through this game again at some point, but I think I'll give it a rest for now and do other stuff while I get ready for Persona 5.

Great cast, pretty fun gameplay, lots of content, solid narrative that unlike many Tales games actually manages to hold pretty steady up to the end, huge step up in cutscene direction from previous entries, runs really well, and had a lot of good art (though not every area looked all that great). My biggest complaints really are that some elements of the graphics are pretty much past the point of showing their age even if they're very clean and the animation is much improved and really shines in the more action-heavy cutscenes, the fields were kinda hit or miss but didn't necessarily ruin the experience (partly because some actually looked kinda nice), and while I warmed up to the music eventually it still didn't really stand out.

It also sets a lot of groundwork for the next game to expand things in basic gameplay features and presentation. I really hope Bamco is loosening the team's budget a little for the next game (and maybe letting them switch to a more productive, PS4-appropriate game engine) so they can make the kind of improvements I suspect they want to make and make their first serious attempt at a PS4 Tales game a really good one.

I guess I'll do a longer write-up of my thoughts later on, got to let it settle in first and I haven't really read this thread much despite making it haha, so I want to go through some of the other posts and impressions.

At first I wasn't sold on it being that great, but by the end I'd say this is a fantastic entry to the series. Definitely in my top 5, not sure at which position though. For what it's worth (and to confirm my tastes in these games as trash/good, lol) my five favorite games in the series as of now are Vesperia, Rebirth, Berseria, Graces, and Destiny R. I intend on going through this game again at some point, but I think I'll give it a rest for now and do other stuff while I get ready for Persona 5.

I'm still confused at Bebpo's impression of the game, and sorry they didn't like or as much as seemingly everyone else but...

😊😄😆

I'm very glad the relative majority of people really really seem to love this game! I hope western reviewers will have the same opinion and Tales of will get a big boost in mind share from this apparently great entry making waves. Even if it gets just a good fraction of Persona 5's sales (provided those sales are still good or great for Tales of) I'll be very happy for the series!

I'll be honest, I was hoping the positive impression people (including myself) had of the game pre-release was an indication of a return to form for the series, but I wasn't convinced until after release.

I'm so happy for my first and favorite JRPG series!

Bladenic

I'm still confused at Bebpo's impression of the game, and sorry they didn't like or as much as seemingly everyone else but...

😊😄😆

I'm very glad the relative majority of people really really seem to love this game! I hope western reviewers will have the same opinion and Tales of will get a big boost in mind share from this apparently great entry making waves. Even if it gets just a good fraction of Persona 5's sales (provided those sales are still good or great for Tales of) I'll be very happy for the series!

I'll be honest, I was hoping the positive impression people (including myself) had of the game pre-release was an indication of a return to form for the series, but I wasn't convinced until after release.

I'm so happy for my first and favorite JRPG series!

Who cares, it's one person and seemingly the outlier.

I remember making a random joke post in an early Berseria thread claiming it was gonna be the next Vesperia. Looks like I was right lmao in terms of an overall positive reception. Hopefully I feel the same way.

Any broken characters? Based on the demo, it seems Velvet has the potential to be invincible with spamming soul break.

RangerBAD

Who cares, it's one person and seemingly the outlier.

I remember making a random joke post in an early Berseria thread claiming it was gonna be the next Vesperia. Looks like I was right lmao in terms of an overall positive reception. Hopefully I feel the same way.

Any broken characters? Based on the demo, it seems Velvet has the potential to be invincible with spamming soul break.

It's only spammable if you get continual stun on the enemy. That doesn't happen on bosses. You lose souls if you get stunned. If you dodge, the soul goes to the battlefield and you have to pick it up. That's probably the balance. Of course someone will break the game somehow, but everyone else won't. Stay in her Break Soul too long and you'll end up at 1 HP.

Finally Elenoa joined. I love playing as her. She's so fun to play! But then I also realized one thing. Letting Velvet in the party as AI is really a bad thing. Keep running low on HP because of her break soul

Isn't there AI settings to disable certain skills or limit skill usage to certain % like in other Tales games in Berseria?

aitakute

How to use 2nd Hi-ougi? It says in the description that I need to hold L2 after 8 combos or more but my character keeps using 1st Hi-ougi. I'm using Elenoir btw

Link1110

Started it today. The intro was BORING. You guys hated Graces's intro, but I actualy thought it was kinda interesting, had actual GAMEPLAY, and made me feel something at the end. The intro of this game was basically running errands (involving going through the same dungeon twice) then going through the same dungeon AGAIN. And seeing how the game flashed forward to the end of this at the very beginning, it's almost like they were saying "look, the game does stop being boring. Please be excited."

The battle system looks alright. I'd rather they kept block as square and didn't do the always free running thing. I'm just playing it like Graces and holding one of the shoulder buttons when I do around step and everything is kind of annoying.This could be just me because I like having all the buttons I'll need on a moment's notice be on the front of the controller.

Though the vampire pirate MC seems pretty cool so far. I hope the story is good, it has a promising start. I don't believe for a minute that Arthur is actually evil, because ever since Zestiria they've been pushing the Arthurian Mythos theme naming (Ladylake etc.) which continued into this game (Morgana Woods) so now that Arthur's out there, I expect him to just be misunderstood or something.

I just hope it stays good. Please don't have armatizing
I want to have more than two characters at once on the field,
please don't show me walls in battle later on
I don't know WHY these games are shoehorning in battles right on the field where you met them. Star Ocean 5 had it, but did it right in that transitions in and out were seamless. Neither transition is seamless here so ity comes across as pointless. And since the execution of these types of battles is one of the things that made Zestiria bad, may as well just chuck em.

I just came off the surprisingly good Xillia 2, please be another surprisingly good Tales sequel and not another Zestiria quality piece of crap.

aitakute

Started it today. The intro was BORING. You guys hated Graces's intro, but I actualy thought it was kinda interesting, had actual GAMEPLAY, and made me feel something at the end. The intro of this game was basically running errands (involving going through the same dungeon twice) then going through the same dungeon AGAIN. And seeing how the game flashed forward to the end of this at the very beginning, it's almost like they were saying "look, the game does stop being boring. Please be excited."

The battle system looks alright. I'd rather they kept block as square and didn't do the always free running thing. I'm just playing it like Graces and holding one of the shoulder buttons when I do around step and everything is kind of annoying.This could be just me because I like having all the buttons I'll need on a moment's notice be on the front of the controller.

Though the vampire pirate MC seems pretty cool so far. I hope the story is good, it has a promising start. I don't believe for a minute that Arthur is actually evil, because ever since Zestiria they've been pushing the Arthurian Mythos theme naming (Ladylake etc.) which continued into this game (Morgana Woods) so now that Arthur's out there, I expect him to just be misunderstood or something.

I just hope it stays good. Please don't have armatizing
I want to have more than two characters at once on the field,
please don't show me walls in battle later on
I don't know WHY these games are shoehorning in battles right on the field where you met them. Star Ocean 5 had it, but did it right in that transitions in and out were seamless. Neither transition is seamless here so ity comes across as pointless. And since the execution of these types of battles is one of the things that made Zestiria bad, may as well just chuck em.

I just came off the surprisingly good Xillia 2, please be another surprisingly good Tales sequel and not another Zestiria quality piece of crap.
Trust me, it gets so much better. Don't worry, you will have no problem with "walls in battle" and you can use any character you want in your party or the field.

Not 8 combos, 8 artes.
8 different artes?

RangerBAD

Not 8 combos, 8 artes.

Oh yeah, that's right.

Well, finished the game on Hard today. Overall, it was a good game and a good Tales game. A nice return to form for the series. I enjoyed the battle system, the music was good and the characters were awesome. The final boss on Hard was really damn hard. I don't remember having this much trouble with one in a while. Only minus I can speak of is the loot system. I don't need Abyss weapons, but I miss ultimate weapons.

Clocked in around 84 hours and I did everything I could except for
Phoenix
. Dragon Quest 7 is tomorrow, but I might play it a bit more.

3Kaze

50 hours into the game, I guess I'm nearing the end. I think it's dragging a bit, though that may be because of the large fields/dungons more than the story itself.

8 different artes?

It doesn't matter, try something like : 4 artes -> Break Soul -> 3 artes, and it should work.

awdrifter

I'm pretty far into the story,
just fought the giant bug and got the flower to treat the seasickness.
. I'm currently level 32, but I still can't upgrade my equipments more than 3 times. Am I forgetting to do something? Thanks.

I'm pretty far into the story,
just fought the giant bug and got the flower to treat the seasickness.
. I'm currently level 32, but I still can't upgrade my equipments more than 3 times. Am I forgetting to do something? Thanks.

You have to get new crystals to be able to upgrade further.

zeromcd73

zetsubou-sensei.png
Damn this game is dark

aitakute

Just cleared the game. Beautiful, just beautiful. It's a sad but good ending. I hope they will do a crossover ending for Zestiria and Berseria in the anime.
Stil a lot of side quests to do. Can't believe this game has 11 mini games
Anyone think that the AI is great this time? My party member rarely die at all. I swear I died more than them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vijHORKg6Zk
7 minutes of the game in English

I think I have the crystals, under the 魔水晶 category, I see the 武装の魔鋼品-壱, but I how do I use it in an upgrade? Thanks.

You don't use them, you just need them in your inventory.

Just keep advancing the story, you'll get them as part of the story after beating bosses anyway.
If you want to know when you get the next one:
when beating the Pandora Pot on the boat

aitakute

I love how random people in the game keep asking Elenoa to marry them. Looking at the Japanese poll, Elenoa seems to be the most popular in the party too

awdrifter

You don't use them, you just need them in your inventory.

Just keep advancing the story, you'll get them as part of the story after beating bosses anyway.
If you want to know when you get the next one:
when beating the Pandora Pot on the boat

Ok, thanks for the reply. I just want to make sure I'm not missing some side quest that unlocks further equipment upgrades.

I love how random people in the game keep asking Elenoa to marry them. Looking at the Japanese poll, Elenoa seems to be the most popular in the party too

Elenoa is pretty cute, she's my second favorite after Velvet.

Got another question related to the story, I'm at Haria (ハリア)
Grimoire and Raphi translated that poem, but I don't get the part about the 7 corrupted heads, can someone do a brief explanation? Thanks.

Zankou

Got another question related to the story, I'm at Haria (ハリア)
Grimoire and Raphi translated that poem, but I don't get the part about the 7 corrupted heads, can someone do a brief explanation? Thanks.

The legend is about Innominat, one of the Five Lords. He is depicted as a 8-headed dragon with a main head on the top and 7 other heads that consume "food" and bringing it to the main head. Apparantly these "kuuma" represent the 7 heads and are connected to the main head (Innominat) through underground links (the Earth Pulse). To weaken Innominat, they have to destroy the 7 heads first.

Link1110

How do I do some of these ??? things on the fields? I'm in the area after the ruins
right after the first Artorious fight
and there's a giganto monster and a ton of souls I can't get.

aitakute

How do I do some of these ??? things on the fields? I'm in the area after the ruins
right after the first Artorious fight
and there's a giganto monster and a ton of souls I can't get.
You need a rare board. You will get it later in the story

Shouta

Not really surprising Eleanor is popular. Honestly, she's the other protagonist in this story and she has a significant story arc and she's very compelling as a character. She's a very good contrast to Velvet.

Top Bottom