• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria Import Thread

aitakute

And finished. By far my favourite Tales of game ever. Absolutely loved it.

I know, right? Kicking Baba out and trying new things are all for the best
I know that Baba keep giving advice but looks like the new director didn't give a damn. I read on some Japanese sites saying that this is one of Baba's advice for the game. He said that
Don't let Velvet have her revenge
Not sure if real

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Never knew this was a non-Baba game. Why did he opt out?

zeromcd73

Trying to think of negatives to write down:

- Graphics; characters look great, but holy shit that pop-in in still awful as fuck
- There was one part of the game that had a bit of backtracking, not much, but noticeable enough going through the same place several times
- (Spoiler) Fighting
Aifread in the same exact area as Oliver and his Onee-chan. Was disappointing he didn't get his own special area, and just felt like they put the fight there since they had nowhere else to put him
- Edit: Oh yea, way too much loot. Hardly the worst problem ever, but heh

Everything else was great. Story and characters were awesome. So many locations to visit with lots of variety too! Took me 37 hours to finish the game.

I know that Baba keep giving advice but looks like the new director didn't give a damn. I read on some Japanese sites saying that this is one of Baba's advice for the game. He said that
Not sure if real
Fuck Baba.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not having Baba on this game will hopefully lead to even greater things on the next game. Having Baba on these games has led to STAGNATION

KiraXD

Man, i slogged through xillia, trying to get to xillia 2, the story is fucking terrible, or the writing is... I dunno, i lost interest after the 10th time
Alvin betrays you then comes back... Every time, i rolled my eyes so hard.

Probably pass zestiria, but this... Looks interesting... Hoping for a much better story than xillia, (should i even bother with xillia 2? I have it... Just... Eh)

aravuus

Baba being on the sidelines is news to me, too. Since it looks like this is the first solid Tales in a long time, I hope he won't be coming back either.

No offense, Baba lol.

aitakute

After the huge Zestiria scandal, people realllly hate him now so he has been "promoted". At this rate, I doubt he would be back any time soon.
Notable Baba's bullshits
1)Zestiria's Rose because he likes her VA
2)He hates a certain artist so whatever character that artist designed will suffer in his game

How do the rest stack up? I was under the impression Magilou was most popular. The girls seem way more popular than the guys, for sure. Eizen is the only competitor.
From what I've seen:
1)Elenoa
2)Velvet
3)Magilou
4)Eizen
5)Rokurou
6)Laiphicet

kewlmyc

After the huge Zestiria scandal, people realllly hate him now so he has been "promoted". At this rate, I doubt he would be back any time soon.
Notable Baba's bullshits
1)Zestiria's Rose because he likes her VA
2)He hates a certain artist so whatever character that artist designed will suffer in his game

Sounds like something I'd hear on 2ch or 4chan.

Verelios

Not sure if real
I'm currently playing through it but, haha, fucking baba, classic stand up guy. Always with the moral lessons.

And I have no idea where to get devil arms

aitakute

Sounds like something I'd hear on 2ch or 4chan.

Here is a copypasta

Rose's height = VA's height
VA's favorite movie : Detective Conan - Assassin in the Eyes - (<- rough title translation)
Alisha's DLC title: What Shows in the Eyes
Which turned out to be Rose, an assassin
VA's motto: I am me
Rose's true name: Rose is Rose
VA's favorite type of guy: A serious person with a rich heart
Famitsu interview, Baba: "The theme of this time's story is the "richness of the heart" that everyone should have"
Baba is called "Prince" by his surroundings
Conan the Barbarian (Eiyuu Conan) -> Prince Conan (Eiyuu is Baba's first name, different pronunciation)
Rose's in-game fiancee was Prince Conan

Great to hear all the good impressions. Last Tales I've played was Verseria and I've been wanting a good Tales game ever since (on a platform I own) and it looks like this is it :)

Reason I like Tales game is party interaction in scenes and skits. Makes me bond with the characters more then in most other JRPGS.

I'll probably pick it up whenever I'm done with Persona 5 (if Andromeda isn't out).

kewlmyc

Here is a copypasta

Yep, definitely sounds like something 2ch put together. Not saying it's not true or whatever (Rose's writing in Zestiria is inconsistent as hell, but so is a lot of the game), just sounds like something I'd hear in a tabloid that you buy at a grocery store.

Kysen

40hrs in and the voice work is pretty good.
Some touching moments when Velvet loses her mind.
Been playing this more than P5.

aitakute

Yep, definitely sounds like something 2ch put together. Not saying it's not true or whatever (Rose's writing in Zestiria is inconsistent as hell, but so is a lot of the game), just sounds like something I'd hear in a tabloid that you buy at a grocery store.
They have a wiki for this too. Zestiria's story was a mess because Baba kept changing everything within the last stages of development. Voice's VA had to ended up prostrating herself on stage in apology to Tales of fans
Real or not. Now that the fans really hate him, he won't becoming back because the game wouldn't sell if he did. Just look how much better Tales of Berseria is without him

kewlmyc

They have a wiki for this too
Real or not. Now that the fans really hate him, he won't becoming back because the game wouldn't sell if he did. Just look how much better Tales of Berseria is without him

Didn't Berseria do worse than Zestiria? Or are we talking about actual quality of the game?

NeoN1

Neo Member
My first and last "Tales of" was Graces F. Even though I finished it, the MUH FRIENDSHIP theme sucked hard for me and made me lose interest in the saga.

I've heard that Tales of Symphonia is good, but I don't know... Shall I dig in with this one? Does it have an interesting plot?

Zedark

Didn't Berseria do worse than Zestiria? Or are we talking about actual quality of the game?

He means quality, but the decrease in sales can (in part) be explained by the backlash from Zestiria about its quality and other practices.

Edit: ... which could mean that Berseria's more than positive reception could boost the series again, analogous to the way Zestiria decreased the sales for Berseria. That's still speculative for the coming years, though.

Mivey

He means quality, but the decrease in sales can (in part) be explained by the backlash from Zestiria about its quality and other practices.
Or the lack of Baba's supervision. I mean, his game sold better after all. Never underestimate corporate stupidity.

aitakute

My first and last "Tales of" was Graces F. Even though I finished it, the MUH FRIENDSHIP theme sucked hard for me and made me lose interest in the saga.

I've heard that Tales of Symphonia is good, but I don't know... Shall I dig in with this one? Does it have an interesting plot?

Most interesting plot in the Tales game so far. Darker theme. No muh friendship at all. Minor spoiler
You're playing at the villain who would do ANYTHING to reach your goal

Zedark

Or the lack of Baba's supervision. I mean, his game sold better after all. Never underestimate corporate stupidity.

Perhaps, but the backlash was that violent (death threats, bomb threats) that they seem to have gotten the message that people were pissed and that the series has been damaged by it.

RalchAC

Edit: ... which could mean that Berseria's more than positive reception could boost the series again, analogous to the way Zestiria decreased the sales for Berseria. That's still speculative for the coming years, though.

I think the game could do quite well in the second hand market, which is still big in Japan. That won't give Bamco much money, but they may get back part of their lost audiences in the next entry.

What? Berseria is doing worse than Zestiria (I assume in Japan)?

I guess with words of mouth it'll eventually outnumber Zestiria. Especially for the English release after these good Japanese version impressions.

Dark_castle

Most interesting plot in the Tales game so far. Darker theme. No muh friendship at all. Minor spoiler
You're playing at the villain who would do ANYTHING to reach your goal

Legendia has the best story and characters IMO. The gameplay sucked true, but story, characters, music, art style are among the best in the franchise.

PS2 era Namco Bandai puts out some of the best Tales really, they're all solid to good to amazing.

Symphonia
Abyss
Legendia
Destiny Remake
Destiny 2
Rebirth

RalchAC

I guess with words of mouth it'll eventually outnumber Zestiria. Especially for the English release after these good Japanese version impressions.

Yeah, it still hasn't reached Zestiria first week.

demidar

The sequel usually suffers from the previous game's mistakes. For example, DMC2 sold a shitload because DMC1 was great. Then DMC3 sold like shit because DMC2 fucking sucked.

Fisico

Yeah, it still hasn't reached Zestiria first week.

With digital sales it's 99% sure it did though (Zestiria didn't have a digital version)

Media Create

[PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 340.891 / NEW

[PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 5.203 / 214.375
[PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 3.832 / 102.888

Famitsu

[PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 316.824 / NEW

[PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 5.052 / 203.680
[PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 3.739 / 102.247

Digital estimates : ~25-30k

Unlike Zestiria it's selling a few extra thousands copies post 2nd week so it might be able to match Zestiria PS3 SKU when all is said and done.
And if the game is really good there's no reason that budget rereleases will not help it in the long term (the same way it did for Vesperia or maybe Graces F)

I know that's kinda a running gag but it's true

Legendia has the best story and characters IMO. The gameplay sucked true, but story, characters, music, art style are among the best in the franchise.

PS2 era Namco Bandai puts out some of the best Tales really, they're all solid to good to amazing.

Symphonia
Abyss
Legendia
Destiny Remake
Destiny 2
Rebirth

Legendia has a fine story and great music , but the characters were just ///// NOT FINE ////
if i have to be polite.
Legendia characters are just not good. The characters actually destroy the good story.. i'm always impressed how they managed such a mismatch.

Datschge

Never knew this was a non-Baba game. Why did he opt out?
Whole Tales PR structure was apparently overhauled after the Zestiria PR debacle.

After being director from the Namco side for Destiny R Baba replaced Yoshidumi as the series producer/brand manager. For Vesperia that was his sole role, while the game specific production was handled by Higuchi. Starting with Hearts DS Baba handled both.

After Zestiria's release Hideo Baba is now only series producer anymore, like he was before Hearts DS. New main producer is Yasuhiro Fukaya who previously was part of the QA staff (suggesting he has a more hands on approach akin to Higuch) and joined the producers with the Western localization of Zestiria. And Baba shares his work with Kai Tanaka as series supervisor who was previously part of the PR staff (suggesting that Baba shouldn't be left alone with his work even when doing only PR anymore). Even within the development staff there's now someone (Kohei Rokugawa) credited for promotion planning, indicating that PR and development staff were not always on the same page before.

Didn't Berseria do worse than Zestiria?
Unlike Zestiria Berseria's price is still stable and the sales show some actual legs.

PS2 era Namco Bandai Namco Tales Studio puts out some of the best Tales really, they're all solid to good to amazing.

Symphonia
Abyss
Legendia
Destiny Remake
Destiny 2
Rebirth
FIFY

Ralemont

not me
Legendia has a fine story and great music , but the characters were just ///// NOT FINE ////
if i have to be polite.
Legendia characters are just not good. The characters actually destroy the good story.. i'm always impressed how they managed such a mismatch.

I'd have to agree, Shirley in particular. Liked Norma, Chloe, and Senel(?) though.

RalchAC

With digital sales it's 99% sure it did though (Zestiria didn't have a digital version)

I know that's kinda a running gag but it's true

Yeah, I know it's been selling decently after its first week. I usually lurk Media Create threads when a game I like is releasing.

I didn't know Zestiria didn't have a digital version, though. Thanks for that.

I wasnt expecting to see english voice acting already so far along. I'm surprised this isnt until next year

The wait time is probably to accommodate the PC version development time mostly.

So much excellent praise for this game! Cannot wait to play it for myself. Might be getting a roommate who really liked Tales of Vesperia soon, so I might be playing this co-op first time through! The camera seemed pretty decent for co-op in the demo.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Symphonia
Abyss
Legendia
Destiny Remake
Destiny 2
Rebirth
'Twas a golden age for Tales games.

3Kaze

Jesus at the last boss (1st part). Is it even possible to do it on hard mode? Insubstantial already kills the whole team in one hit, but motherfucker just keeps spamming that spell. It would be like Rita in OL spamming Tidal Wave against us or something.
The AI is so awful against AOE, they just wait to die even when you order them to protect themselves (why are the strategy options getting worse with each game to begin with?).

3Kaze

Finished the game, playtime is around 72 hours with most sidequests done. I managed to beat the last boss by using an all divide, it's much easier when the team doesn't get wiped in the first 5 seconds of the fight. Well, except for Rokurou (or Velvet but I play her), this guy just dies whether he is attacking or defending, at least the spellcasters keep their distance. The second part of the fight was easy.

Well, I think it was good overall but still suffering from some flaws. Let's get the bad parts out of the way the first : fields and dungeons. The only reason why the game is so long is because of them, and there is a lot of backtracking. While they look a bit better than Zestiria's (draw distance still as bad though), they're still huuuuuge and annoying, the random caves all look the same and look like dungeons I've been going through since Xillia. The Rare Board should have been given from the start of the game since we still have to unlock it in each map anyway.

The music is really mediocre, battle themes were alright but town, dungeon and field themes sound like something I've heard over a thousand time already. Well, that goes for the battle themes as well I guess. The only music who stood out to me is the Velvet theme. I really wish the game had better budget for the music, the new Go Shiina tracks in Zestiria the X own.

I didn't care much for the equipment/loot system. It's quite funny they want us to upgrade equipments but we're switching them so much to learn new skills, that it feels pointless until late game.

Now about the decent/good parts : the story is okay. It's not anywhere near as dark or edgy as some people believe. What happens to Velvet is fucked up but that's about it. What bothered me is that for a revenge story, there are a lot of fillers (oh the crew got sick so let's change the destination and pick some herbs, or the villain is so powerful that we have to search for shit around the world
and still got played like a damn fiddle in the end
). I also thought the story was just set in the Zestiria world, but it has a strong connection to that game and explains most of thing that will happen later on. It didn't need Zestiria the X to make a link.
Otherwise I liked the several themes of the story like emotion vs logic, or family. The story is carried by an excellent cast, by far the best one in the series imo. They're a bunch a of (likeable) bad guys, who aren't really friends and just had a common enemy. The interactions are really funny they have a good dynamic. Most of the characters are grown adults already so some don't get much development, but each character has series of sidequests which help fleshing them out further and conclude things. I thought that was really neat.

To finish, I liked the battle system even though it lacked depth (too mashy). I still want a return to side view and jump/aerial combos :p
Now I dunno whether getting the plat trophy first or starting Persona 5.

Top Bottom