• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria launching early 2017 in the West (PS4/PC)

varkuriru

Looking great and no weird transition to battles as in Zestiria. If the PC version is solid I will buy. Who I am kidding, I will preorder in steam the first chance I get!

Ascheroth

They better not pull another Symphonia with this on PC.

Looks cool, but I want to know if it will have Zestirias skill system. Because that was awful. Awful. AWFUL.

Byvar

That looks great, I can't wait! Well, I can, since there are so many great games coming out this year. So while I hoped for a 2016 release date, I don't mind that it's 2017 at all.

I really hope this tales game is on par or better then tales of vesperia. It seem like after Vasperia all the tales games have been missing something. They have a good battle system but the story is bad. Or everything is just okay nothing is great. Or it's all just bad very very bad.

Asked before, but do we know if there's any character combining? It's completely ruined co op plays of the last two tales for me (zestiria and xillia I think?) as I try to play then with 3-4 people. Even with 2 it can be a chore.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The gameplay looks good, as I knew it would.

Before anyone complains about the graphics, the game has the partial defence of running at 1080/60. That is more strenuous, requiring double the rendering frames, so graphics are going to take a hit in that scenario, period, especially in a world with large enivirons. That's why most of us don't mind 30 FPS when it's required. Obviously the game is being built for PS3 in Japan as well though.

As for the battles being slow it doesn't look like that at all.

Mivey

They better not pull another Symphonia with this on PC.
I think with that port they were more interested in how cheap you could possibly make a PC port. Like they hired a kid and gave him access to their engine and source code and paid him a 100$ to do this after school.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Battles aren't seamless in this one? That sucks. If that's not a design choice, but rather done to get back up to 60fps, they really need to find a more capable engine for this series.

Datschge

You already sound disappointed.
Well, it's the trademark of "Team Symphonia" style games to have slow battle start ups/noticeable loading with semi-fancy screen effects. Honestly didn't expect that to return, rather expected them to improve on the previously pseudo seamless battle starts. But that way I guess it also confirms that a (more) separate team worked on this game, and "Team Symphonia" style fans may be able to get excited about it.

What I'm more disappointed about is all the Star Ocean like running around, but that was to be expected after the battle system details were revealed earlier on, and I'm apparently an outsider for strongly disliking any free run in Tales.

sublimit

Banned
I'm perfectly fine with this.There are so many games coming out this year and i still haven't even played Zestiria yet.

raven777

loading speed is really fast so it's nice

SharpAromaticBubblefish.gif

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well, it's the trademark of "Team Symphonia" style games to have slow battle start ups/noticeable loading with semi-fancy screen effects. Honestly didn't expect that to return, rather expected them to improve on the previously pseudo seamless battle starts. But that way I guess it also confirms that a (more) separate team worked on this game, and "Team Symphonia" style fans may be able to get excited about it.

What I'm more disappointed about is all the Star Ocean like running around, but that was to be expected after the battle system details were revealed earlier on, and I'm apparently an outsider for strongly disliking any free run in Tales.

The loading is there to fix the camera angle issue with things blocking it in the real-time world from Zestiria I think. Not because it's trying to go back to the old style. They couldn't find a way to make battles work in fields in the world so they're resorting to this. I also think they're doing this in order to avoid the shitty large open spaces from Zestiria as well. We should see a much better complete package in terms of finesse.

Kasumin

Should I bother with Zestiria? I didn't pick up since I heard it was bad.

Not at full price. It's not worth full price. It's worth a try, I guess? Some people managed to enjoy it despite its mountain of fun-killing flaws.

I skipped Xillia 2 and Zesteria, so I'll be ready for Berserk in 2017 :)

You didn't really miss much besides disappointment. Oh, I guess Xillia 2's battle system is an improvement over Xillia's. Unfortunately, Ludger sucks up 90% of the benefits like the attention sponge he is, leaving you wondering why the other characters are even there.

I really hope this tales game is on par or better then tales of vesperia. It seem like after Vasperia all the tales games have been missing something. They have a good battle system but the story is bad. Or everything is just okay nothing is great. Or it's all just bad very very bad.

Vesperia this. Vesperia that. Amusingly enough, I believe Hideo Baba took over as series producer after Vesperia.

Battles aren't seamless in this one? That sucks. If that's not a design choice, but rather done to get back up to 60fps, they really need to find a more capable engine for this series.

It was pointless innovation for the sake of innovation. It added nothing of value to the Tales battle system. Tales battle is about having space to maneuver, dodge, and pull off combos. Seamless battles really took away from that. The benefits were minimal compared to the problems seamless battles introduced.

They got rid of the instant battles? For what purpose?

To avoid crap like this:

CRzpWkdUYAARhfo.jpg

Dungeons looked horrible in ToZ because they had to be designed to accommodate seamless battles. Huge, empty rooms. Huge corridors. And it ended up with battles in confined spaces. That is terrible in a Tales game.

Good riddance to seamless battles.

Ydelnae

The menu design is pretty good, yeah. And I've grown on the character designs, except Velvet and Laphutica. It would be cool if we got Zaveid as an optional bonus character like Suzu in Phantasia.

Datschge

The loading is there to fix the camera angle issue with things blocking it in the real-time world from Zestiria I think.
If that's indeed the case they are reeeaaaly slow at repositioning the camera there then. =D

Vesperia this. Vesperia that. Amusingly enough, I believe Hideo Baba took over as series producer after Vesperia.
He was already brand manager by the time of Vesperia, probably got subsequently promoted to producer level.

3Kaze

It's the same as Zestiria, which didn't really have seamless battles either. They just replaced the zoom transition with an "older" transition. They are both loading characters and battles still take place in the current map.

Datschge

It's the same as Zestiria, which didn't really have seamless battles either. They just replaced the zoom transition with an "older" transition. They are both loading characters and battles still take place in the current map.
That's still much slower than what Graces managed to do on the worst system last gen. And if the duration is the same as in Zestiria the transition (which looks like a bad Eternia copy) does a much worse job at masking it.

Rpgmonkey

The Zestiria equipment system isn't coming back. They've never used an equipment system twice to my knowledge.

The battles look like they're similar to Zestiria in their use of the exploration field as the battlefield, but the transition looks a little different.

Oh yea I really love the menu design

Cgq6zx2UgAAfta-.jpg:large

Menu design is fantastic, looks like there's enough room for two more party members as well?

Anyone know where I can find a mirror of that offscreen gameplay? The video became private pretty quick it seems. I'm hoping that the gameplay is as quick and snappy as that GIF suggests and this game capitalizes on what they were trying to do with Zestiria by removing what didn't work (seemless battles, super quick transition to fighting arena is better it seems) and expanding upon what did. Hopefully this game can match up to Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia and deliver a great experience.

Those three and Xillia are the only I've finished, and while I think Xillia actually did a relatively good job with it's story, characters and gameplay (battles and character progression were great, not every JRPG has such good skill customization), the game fell flat mostly because of it's somewhat limited scope and linear hallway worlds. Hearts R is also pretty good, but I find the DS origins too apparent in the world lacking a lot of grandeur and dungeons being fairly eh. Skipped on Zestiria (at least

I'm interested to see more about the new battles system that sounds like a huge departure from the norm. I hope the big environments taking too long to travel through and being too empty in Zestiria is addressed here with some kind of quicker traversal method. Mounts maybe? I'm reminded of the cover of Phantasia with Cress and Mint on that horse, or maybe it's a pegasus? I don't know, it can't be an airship like in some past games because I think they just can't pull of that feat without a traditional worldmap traversal method.

This news and Persona 5's announcement of an announcement (yeah those generally suck but it is P5) have me feeling pretty good today! Can't wait to hear more for both games and I hope import impressions in August are more positive than Zestiria's. Disappointed a bit that Star Ocean 5 is apparently short on scope, even if it is a good game besides that, so I hope Berseria can live up to the Tales of name.

yami4ct

Well. It was a win win bet for all of you. In hindsight I have no idea why I made this bet. It makes no sense to me. Welp

We warned you Kayos. We warned you. Now we just have to figure out what you're going to end up wearing.

Maybe I'll just be nice and say you've got to carry a Velvet avatar.

Top Bottom