• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria launching early 2017 in the West (PS4/PC)

Datschge

Part of the problem also came from the battles directly taking part into the exploration zone. It still does somehow now but they managed to change the scale during the microloading transition to solve the problem (or so I'd like to think)
My impression from the leaked gameplay video is that the same map is used but the battle circle is moved away to some place where it doesn't clash with any obstructions. If that's the case dungeons could again have narrow hallways as long as there's also some room in the map that can fit the battle circle.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Really, really liking the vibe this game has, somewhat bipolar but in a good way. The art style really shines through, and the cast seems a lot rougher around the edges and not simply "let's save the world."

TOB_OTH_20160308_09_1461149643.jpg

Titania_ScreenshotTOB_EVT_20160308_23_1461149650.jpg

Titania_ScreenshotTOB_OTH_20160208_03_1461149651.jpg

Titania_ScreenshotTOB_OTH_20160308_04_1461149652.jpg

Tales-of-Berseria_2016_04-12-16_011.jpg

Edit: Tales of Berseria - OFF SCREEN GAMEPLAY (RPG TOUR 2016) <--- There's new town footage here that got overlooked.

Fisico

Really, really liking the vibe this game has, somewhat bipolar but in a good way. The art style really shines through, and the cast seems a lot rougher around the edges and not simply "let's save the world."

All the screenshots were sent to the press and ordered in different directories, all the dark ones (including those in your post) were in one directory named "beginning of the game".

And this one below was in one named "Artorius"

There also was a small booklet with the following pages

I like the way they presented Yasuhiro Fukaya, instead of saying the usual "well he's the producer and hum yeah creator of the Tales series doing everything and all !"

Datschge

I like the way they presented Yasuhiro Fukaya, instead of saying the usual "well he's the producer and hum yeah creator of the Tales series doing everything and all !"
That's pretty great. Also the last place where I'd expect a quote from late Gunpei Yokoi to appear, so thumbs up to Fukaya for that.

Pancake Mix

All the screenshots were sent to the press and ordered in different directories, all the dark ones (including those in your post) were in one directory named "beginning of the game".

And this one below was in one named "Artorius"

There also was a small booklet with the following pages

Wow, thanks for the info, that's good stuff!

Sagitario

That's pretty great. Also the last place where I'd expect a quote from late Gunpei Yokoi to appear, so thumbs up to Fukaya for that.

I found his comments really interesting and assertive. I hope the developers go all the way with those ideas.

I'm really liking how the battles look, I wonder if they can top Graces battle system. I can't wait to play this.

aitakute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqyXKztX3i4
Nothing really new but I love the new skit style in this game
Since I did some translations about the game's hiougi and skill system, might as well post them here

You can use hiougi but consuming blast gauge. Not only it deals damages to the enemies, but it also increases your numbers of soul. Each character has multiple hiougi but the conditions to use them are different but the common condition is "having 3 BG or more then hold L2 during a combo"

And the skill part. I'm sure many of you're interested. You can gain skill by equipping equipment that has skills with them. Also from titles that you can get by completing certain conditions. By equipping them for a number battles, you can master the skills and gain them permanently without equipping the equipment again.
Skills from equipment:
*Master skill: You can gain these by equipping equipment and gain them permanently if you mastered them. Also, if you still using the same equipment after mastered it, the effects are combined (like x2)
*Upgrade bonus: You can gain these bonuses by upgrading the equipment. Some will be available after you upgraded an equipment high enough
*Random skill: This one is random for every equipment you found.

Since I did some translations about the game's hiougi and skill system, might as well post them here

You can use hiougi but consuming blast gauge. Not only it deals damages to the enemies, but it also increases your numbers of soul. Each character has multiple hiougi but the conditions to use them are different but the common condition is "having 3 BG or more then hold L2 during a combo"

And the skill part. I'm sure many of you're interested. You can gain skill by equipping equipment that has skills with them. Also from titles that you can get by completing certain conditions. By equipping them for a number battles, you can master the skills and gain them permanently without equipping the equipment again.
Skills from equipment:
*Master skill: You can gain these by equipping equipment and gain them permanently if you mastered them. Also, if you still using the same equipment after mastered it, the effects are combined (like x2)
*Upgrade bonus: You can gain these bonuses by upgrading the equipment. Some will be available after you upgraded an equipment high enough

New equipment sounds way better than the one from tales of zestiria. Reminds me kinda of FF9 ability system.

I'm about 15 hours into Zestiria at the moment and am really enjoying it. Kind of waiting for it to take a nosedive because a lot of people seem pretty down on it. New skill system in Berseria is definitely welcome though, my least favourite part of Zestiria by far.

Rising_Hei

So NX could still be a possibility if its launching in 2017 though I'm probably jumping the gun here. Regardless I'm still really excited for this game and can't wait to pick it up.

I don't think tales of will try to appeal nintendo homeconsole fans ever again, they've lost too much time trying to do this in the past and it didn't work out.

They don't even try to appeal XB1 which has a much more healthy ecosystem than the Wii U, i don't see them trying to do anything with nintendo. I could be wrong, tho.

I don't think tales of will try to appeal nintendo homeconsole fans ever again, they've lost too much time trying to do this in the past and it didn't work out.

They don't even try to appeal XB1 which has a much more healthy ecosystem than the Wii U, i don't see them trying to do anything with nintendo. I could be wrong, tho.

Agreed. They tried the "let's release a mothership title on each console" thing in the 360/wii/ps3 generation and realize their fan base is mostly on PlayStation. Just look at their stronger support on vita vs 3ds, and their ps3 output.

(I hope NX won't fail and we'll get a tales game on it or something. But it's BanNam we're talking about; sales/money goes first.)

varkuriru

Skill system being similar to Vesperia is cool although they seem to be playing it safe. Having permanent skills is enough for me for a good progression system.

kewlmyc

Skills from equipment:

The skits, while still pretty basic, are slowly evolving. Despite being stills, the whole thing felt way more animated than usual. Nice.

Also I'm glad Vesperia's skill system is back. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hype for this game is slowly rising.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I like how it barely looks any better than Zestiria, the overworld is so barren and edgy, like they have the lowest poly budget ever.

To avoid crap like this:

CRzpWkdUYAARhfo.jpg

Dungeons looked horrible in ToZ because they had to be designed to accommodate seamless battles. Huge, empty rooms. Huge corridors. And it ended up with battles in confined spaces. That is terrible in a Tales game.

Good riddance to seamless battles.

Agreed. I won't miss the seamless battles at all.

Pancake Mix

Vesperia's ability system was rock solid, this is good news.

Really liking how animated the skits are in this game too.

There are new Famitsu scans out in the wild, FYI. Can't link to them I believe.

I like how it barely looks any better than Zestiria, the overworld is so barren and edgy, like they have the lowest poly budget ever.

The frame rate is doubled to 60 on PS4 compared to Zestiria which will help it look smoother.

Anyways, they designed the game to run on PS3, they're using the base Xillia (or is it Symphonia) engine, and the budget for these games isn't huge. Think of it this way, it looks a lot better on console and PC than it would look on 3DS, Vita, or mobile...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I feel like they could've gone one step further where weapons with empty skill slots can learn skills and you can customize weapons. Oh well.

Zafir

Skills from equipment:
Yeah the new skit system seems pretty interesting. I mean it still has a ways it could go, but that makes them a whole lot more eventful, as you can actually see movements/reactions a lot better.

Pancake Mix

No, Zestiria used a new engine and Berseria most likely has the same.

Nope.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/25/tales-berseria-gets-off-screen-footage-words-producer/

As far as graphics go, Bandai Namco&#8217;s studio has an engine that is used exclusively for the Tales series which they customize and upgrade as they develop games for the series. This time around, they say that they&#8217;ve customized the engine even more and they expect the visuals for Berseria to continue looking better.

And that information comes from this interview with the director: https://youtu.be/Q4P0EPm-m2M?t=8m19s I gave the timestamp too. They customize their special engine that they only use for the Tales series for each instalment, and they've technically been using the same engine since Xillia according to the director himself.

so new information on a tales game and I read it all as good news. the fuck universe did I walk into

Oh this game is going to be good, Vesperia good. You'll see.

Mivey

And that information comes from this interview with the director: https://youtu.be/Q4P0EPm-m2M?t=8m19s I gave the timestamp too. They customize their special engine that they only use for the Tales series for each instalment, and they've technically been using the same engine since Xillia according to the director himself.
This is really interesting. So if they have their engine running on current gen consoles and PC, they could (with some programming effort) get their older games running on current gen consoles and PC, without having to change the needed toolset.

Datschge

Regarding engine there are a lot of people conflating different aspects of the game into this one term. Fisico is referring to the seamless transition aspect that was marketed as a new engine prior to Zestiria's release. The part Fukaya is referring to in the links EleventhHourSuperpower posted are about the graphics engine Tales uses since Xillia. And the PC ports of Zestiria and Symphonia showed surprisingly big similarities in how frame rendering and pacing are handled, surprising since the former was a good port by an European studio while the latter was a hilariously bad port by an American studio. This points to the similarities being in the original games, with the question left being whether Symphonia had it from the start or if only the PS3 port moved it to the Xillia (or whatever) engine causing the similarities.

Fisico

Nope.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/25/tales-berseria-gets-off-screen-footage-words-producer/

A producer is not a director and a new engine doesn't automatically mean better graphics (if the assets are bad then they are bad) even if that's, fortunately, almost always the case.

Also Yasuhiro Fukuya was the QA manager at Bandai-Namco until 2013, that is to say he fully joined the Tales development staff only during the development of Tales of Zestiria, so I kinda expect Hideo Baba who was more involved and there for a longer time to have a better opinion on that matter, see below

New engine used for Zestiria

What would be the biggest difference in Zestiria as compared to previous works.
- The main difference would probably be the engine. Tales of Zestiria runs on a different engine than Xillia/Xillia 2. A lot of aspects, we had to do from scratch.

Anyway that's only arguing on semantics and probably is more PR stuff than anything else, point being that they had to redo a lot of stuff to the point that they somehow called the engine for Zestiria as "new".

And in the first place I was replying because you somehow implied (intentionally or not) that it was maybe the same engine as a 12 years old game which was quite a stretch.

Regarding engine there are a lot of people conflating different aspects of the game into this one term. Fisico is referring to the seamless transition aspect that was marketed as a new engine prior to Zestiria's release. The part Fukaya is referring to in the links EleventhHourSuperpower posted are about the graphics engine Tales uses since Xillia. And the PC ports of Zestiria and Symphonia showed surprisingly big similarities in how frame rendering and pacing are handled, surprising since the former was a good port by an European studio while the latter was a hilariously bad port by an American studio. This points to the similarities being in the original games, with the question left being whether Symphonia had it from the start or if only the PS3 port moved it to the Xillia (or whatever) engine causing the similarities.

I wasn't aware of all of that, thanks.
It wouldn't surprise me if Tri-Crescendo was given the base PS2 game and part of the Xillia engine and were asked to just make the damn thing work.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The skill system was terrible in Zestiria so I'm glad they dropped it. The arte learning and title system sucked too. I want titles to mean more again.

Soriku

Yeah the new skit system seems pretty interesting. I mean it still has a ways it could go, but that makes them a whole lot more eventful, as you can actually see movements/reactions a lot better.

A ways to go? How animated do you want them to be (when taking into account budget)?

What's weird is that I'll take every opportunity to shit on Zestiria yet I hardly ever paid attention to the skill system. Maybe it was because the battle system in itself was really dull...?

That this is a prequel already leaves a bad taste in my mouth, regardless of any potential iimprovements. Maybe I'll pick up a used copy down the road.

Aters

ToZ was a mass let down for me but what I've seen about this game is pretty good so far. Those environment looks interesting.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
TOB_EVT_20160330_23-1024x576.jpg

A lizard helming a pirate ship.

Everything I ever wanted from a game.

Costume DLC revealed in the Weekly Jump. Pirate, Summer and Japanese themed. I guess thats why they made Velvets default costume so ridiculous :p.

Ill probably buy one of them.

And theres a card game! I enjoyed Gwent. Wonder how this will play.

Top Bottom