• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Innocence [DS] trailer

AniHawk

dark10x said:
That's just typical Sega, though.

Of course, do you really think they'd be doing Brain games if it weren't for the DS? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Well Sega's brain game precedes Nintendo's. So I guess that would be a resounding yes.

jarrod said:
Nice trailer but... uh... doesn't look all that different from Tempest to me. :x
In terms of what?

At the very least, it's graphically far superior. The cutscenes have more drama, style and animation, and the battles look much more fluid (Tempest was annoyingly clunky at times and animations felt lacking). The towns also look good and have more depth to their structure, the overworld is visibly superior too, character models are much better. Most of Tempest's towns were pretty small buildings arranged in a square-like structure. This just looks like a real next 'Tales of' game, while I always felt Tempest was lacking in budget.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AniHawk said:
Well Sega's brain game precedes Nintendo's. So I guess that would be a resounding yes.
What platform?

Still, that's typical Sega (being first to the market with something).

M3d10n

Technically, this is a huge improvement over Tempest. The character models in particular look Dreamcast-level: the texturing is very nice and they're detailed enough to stay true to the concept art. The towns levels look much less bland this time.

The world map reminds me of FFIX. Not groundbreaking, but the draw distance seems nice. It still looks better than the cardboard one in ToT, though.

Let's see how it plays...

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
In terms of what?

At the very least, it's graphically far superior. The cutscenes have more drama, style and animation, and the battles look much more fluid (Tempest was annoyingly clunky at times and animations felt lacking). The towns also look good and have more depth to their structure, the overworld is visibly superior too, character models are much better. Most of Tempest's towns were pretty small buildings arranged in a square-like structure. This just looks like a real next 'Tales of' game, while I always felt Tempest was lacking in budget.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can say it looks the same as Tempest.

The overworld in Tempest looked really empty and poor. The character models in towns and cutscenes looked ****ing atrocious, and they were even worse in battles (they just looked like jaggy little blobs; monsters looked about the same). The towns were nicely done in Tempest, but that was the main thing in its favor... and even then, what the movie shows of those in Innocence kills Tempest's.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Graphics look nice and smooth, and combat looks like it'll be fun, with some new goodies. But those orange impact splash effects need to GOOOOOOOO.

zurra

whoa, that combat looks reeeeally nice! i'm impressed so far. i hope this delivers and is decently lengthy!

Stage On

Wow damn this looks great for a Ds game.

From the trailer looks like we don't have to be worried about lack of voice acting after all. Damn the voices sound good.

Namco better bring this over to North america unlike how they've failed with Tempest so far. This looks like way too good of a game to miss out just becuse you can't read japanase text.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
That's just typical Sega, though.

Of course, do you really think they'd be doing Brain games if it weren't for the DS? Yeah, I didn't think so.

They were already using the license to create PSP games before the first one came out on DS.

kiryogi

Banned
So we finally have a staff listing thanks to the credits. Can anyone shed a bit more like than what we know? Datschge?

-director is Taketoshi Inagaki
-music is by Kaz Nakamura
-Image Illustration by Tomosaki Okada
-Lead Game Designer is Tsuyoshi Sakurai
-Lead Visual Designer is Kyosuke Onoue (Alfa Systems d00d)
-Lead Programmer is Masatoshi Fukazawa
-Scenario Writers are Masami Kajio and Ayume Suzuki
-Producers are Hideo Baba and Ryuji Odate

Credit to duckroll for decipher lowres mess.

Some negatives: Taketoshi was apparently the interface design for Legendia. Ryuji Date directed Death by Degrees.

Sagitario

kiryogi said:
So we finally have a staff listing thanks to the credits. Can anyone shed a bit more like than what we know? Datschge?

-director is Taketoshi Inagaki
-music is by Kaz Nakamura
-Image Illustration by Tomosaki Okada
-Lead Game Designer is Tsuyoshi Sakurai
-Lead Visual Designer is Kyosuke Onoue (Alfa Systems d00d)
-Lead Programmer is Masatoshi Fukazawa
-Scenario Writers are Masami Kajio and Ayume Suzuki
-Producers are Hideo Baba and Ryuji Odate

Credit to duckroll for decipher lowres mess.

Some negatives: Taketoshi was apparently the interface design for Legendia. Ryuji Date directed Death by Degrees.

Legendia interface was fine. I fail to see the negative there...
DbD guy... well, at least he's not directing :p ...

ethelred said:
Yeah, I don't see how anyone can say it looks the same as Tempest.

The overworld in Tempest looked really empty and poor. The character models in towns and cutscenes looked ****ing atrocious, and they were even worse in battles (they just looked like jaggy little blobs; monsters looked about the same). The towns were nicely done in Tempest, but that was the main thing in its favor... and even then, what the movie shows of those in Innocence kills Tempest's.

Infact, apart from the Captial city (which looked really nice), most of the towns have the EXACT same structure and feel. The same building models with colour swaps and the same structure. The game just reeked of low budget, at the very least Innocence doesn't seem to suffer from that.

Farore said:
Legendia interface was fine. I fail to see the negative there...
DbD guy... well, at least he's not directing :p ...

That's exactly what I was thinking. Legendia had an amazing interface. The presentation was definitiely top quality overall.

Personally I loved Tales of Legendia anyway, so even if he took upon a more prominent role (well it doesn't get more prominent than director though? lol), I will not see it as a negative.:D

Aeana

kiryogi said:
Some negatives: Taketoshi was apparently the interface design for Legendia.

This is not a negative. Legendia has a fantastic interface. It might be the only thing I like about the game, but I like it very much.

Basically it looks like another Tales with two teams on board.

Tempest was Dimps/Namco Tales Studio
Innocence is Alfa System/Namco Internal Team
Destiny 2 PSP was Alfa System/Namco Tales Studio
Phantasia PSP was Mineloader Software/Namco Tales Studio

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Basically it looks like another Tales with two teams on board.

Tempest was Dimps/Namco Tales Studio
Innocence is Alfa System/Namco Internal Team
So the fail of Dimps outweighed the win of Tales Studio, while the win of Alfa System seems to be outweighing the fail of what could be Team Melfes.

Also, I now want Arc Systems to co-develop a Tales game with Team Destiny.

Farore said:
Well, the Tales Studio staff from Tempest was practically only the sound staff...
Indeed, probably because they wanted Sakuraba on it. I put the list as major/minor developer but I'm not sure in D2 PSP case since I didn't knew about Alfa System involvement until I went to their website this week.

Sagitario

Yep. Sakuraba [without Tamura, a first for the series... right?]... I must say the Tempest soundtracks is not bad at all...

I wonder who will do the Rebirth port, I think AS is likely as they have already proven that they can work on a PSP and a DS game at the same time... and well, ToR is just a port scheduled for 2008...

jarrod

Banned
Farore said:
I wonder who will do the Rebirth port, I think AS is likely as they have already proven that they can work on a PSP and a DS game at the same time... and well, ToR is just a port scheduled for 2008...
I still think AS might be behind Symphonia Wii too...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jarrod said:
I still think AS might be behind Symphonia Wii too...
It would make perfect sense, they said Tales of Innocence went into development the same time Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology.

Tales of Destiny 2 port -> Tales of Rebirth port

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - > Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk

Tales of Innocence

Even if the 3 teams had overlapping members, or they aren't doing the Rebirth port, what you're saying is very possible.

Sagitario

So, it was indeed a first for Sakuraba with Tempest...

I've been hearing the Tales soundtracks this past days, and one thing that bugs me is that when some songs are present in more than one game [remixed or not, re-arranged or not]... the name of the song gets changed... Why is that? I mean, it's the same song... meh!

I hope ToI contains old music from the other games... hearing ToL/ToS battle themes in TotW was nice...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Farore said:
I hope ToI contains old music from the other games... hearing ToL/ToS battle themes in TotW was nice...

The original music in TotW is pretty awful. So hearing remixes of classic To series battle themes is VERY welcome. That said, some of the remixes sound pretty janky anyway. :/

Sagitario

Mejilan said:
The original music in TotW is pretty awful. So hearing remixes of classic To series battle themes is VERY welcome. That said, some of the remixes sound pretty janky anyway. :/

I know the quality of the remixes is not that great, but the compositions of the songs are what makes them good :) ...

GaimeGuy said:
what has Alfa Systems done?

For the Tales of series:
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Tales of Destiny 2 PSP port

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Farore said:
I know the quality of the remixes is not that great, but the compositions of the songs are what makes them good :) ...

For the Tales of series:
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2
Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology
Tales of Destiny 2 PSP port
I mean in general, not just tales games :/

Sagitario

According to Wikipedia:

NO.RI.KO
Ys 1 & 2
Noble Mind
Ys 3