• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Vesperia (or WHY NAMCO WHY)

MidiSurf

Banned
duckroll said:
Really. Recent sales could've fooled me! :lol

Isn't Tales of Innocence sales bar on earlyer handheld Talse of series sells ?

Only two Tales of games has sold over 200.000 copies in Japan on handhelds. And it's still huge.

duckroll

klee123 said:
Didn't tales of the world do like 200-300k or something?

Seriously tho, who wants a Tales of rpg on the DS? I assume one of the biggest drawpoints of the Japanese versions of the tales rpgs was the voiced skits, so if stuff like that was missing, I'd assume it would be less appealing for the tales fans in Japan.

TotT DS - 165k
ToDr PS2 - 343k
TotW PSP - 160k
ToD2 PSP - 113k

This was the last batch of 4 Tales releases. Since ToI is the first of the new 4 (ToR PSP, ToDr DC and ToS KoR aren't out yet) and it has sold about 130k so far, which is kinda consistent with the complete drop off in popularity the series has seen, it's kinda hard to still say Tales is really that popular anymore.

So wouldn't the moral of the story be, release your non-SE RPG on a RPG starved system for good sales... all the time? :\

I never understood why developers think well FF is on that machine so the RPG fans must be there and then release it there only for it just to be ignored because its not FF. :lol

This is Star Ocean 4 all over again, seriously -_-

Well, we'll have to wait until Square-Enix (and 2 months later, Namco) wants to reveal the cake. Keep an eye on The Last Remnant and Trusty Bell numbers....

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
God I hope it's not PS3 only. I really don't want to buy both a PS3 and a 360. =(

Amir0x

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
agreed, but actually that is better than most anime...anime dubbing is trash...infact dubbing in general has an exceptionally low standard. FFXII VA is very good, DQVIII is prob the best Ive heard though. Not only is it well dubbed, the characters are able to convey there personality through their speech

I forgot, yeah DQVIII had some nice voice acting.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
duckroll said:
Why would you need to? It's probably just a shitty Tales game!

But I love those shitty Tales games! =(

Actually that's only if this is a Team Symphonia game.

Basch

I'm amazed there are people who hate this game. I, personally, love the series. And why are people so down about Tales of Symphonia: Knights of the Ratatosk? It looks great. I'm excited for a sequel. My friends and I just beat the first one again and there are plenty of areas the story can pick up on. It will be interesting to see what they do with it. Plus, it looks like the battle system has got a pretty nice addition.

Now for Vesperia. If you asked me, going by the screenshots, I would say this game is coming for either the PS3 or 360 (maybe both; better start hoping slackers, you know who you are :D ). With that said, it definitely doesn't look like a PSP or DS game. Wii? I doubt it. It would need a greater bump in its engine than it currently (TOS:KOTR) has had. By the way, do people think this screenshot is one of those cinematics (I don't think Production IG has done that kind of style before if so)?

SO1_7395.jpg

It looks like a cutscene to me. In fact, it looks like what was shown in this screen.

SO1_7451.jpg

It looks like the same engine to me. The same as the one with the battle picture.

SO1_7424.jpg

The art seems to translate over pretty well.

SO1_7388.jpg

If you are wondering why I am posting the screens again, it is because the ones shown previously in the thread are down. So... repost. :D This thread needs more of the pictures anyways. You know what? Looking over it again, I am almost confident it is for PS3 or 360. The draw distance is just too good for anything less. Great image quality. Nice resolution. Shadows are rather advanced for a Tales game (no circular blobs, yes my eyesight is that good :D ). Great use of AA. No blocky textures. I'm placing my bets on PS3. Oh sorry, and 360. It has to be one of those two, or both. By the way there seems to have been an update today on the blog that reported the announcement in the first place. Can anybody translate?

Anybody good with Japenese to English translation skills? Update was done this morning around nine, I think (Central Time).

Basch said:
Anybody good with Japenese to English translation skills? Update was done this morning around nine, I think (Central Time).

Baddish site translation:

It ..many of yesterday's number of visitors first of all.. has
laughed.
Am I show-business celebrities?Ape, gorilla, chimpanzee, and
unpleasant general person.

Great of the jump festival and expectation for Talzob are terrible.

Then, it is a story of the jump festival in seriousness.

There is an image quality of PS3 or XBOX360 when the new work of Talzob is seen again. The screen ratio was 16:9. There might be a hand PS3 ..both XBOX360.., too. Hero's radio actor is assistant Hiroshi Chokai as long as I hear it.

It is always surprised by the mega-closed theater of square Enix.

Final Fantasy?Final Fantasy..Versus.Really..do.
Whether it is photograph taken from life unpleasantness CG has not been understood any
longer. It is too terrible.

Dishidiafainalfantaga is already happy and doesn't have the method. Successive hero/successive powerful enemy Rasbos. Laughter doesn't stop. The person who has done kingdom Harts is easily good at the played impression considerably. It was possible to clear usually. And, it is a gorgeous radio actor formation. After all, that powerful enemy also goes out. Of course, it goes out.

Here was also happy to do easily though it had thought 358/2 Daz in kingdom Harts to be able to do kingdom Harts by DS as long as it became accustomed to a cross key. It talks to it. It talks in the battle and it rolls it up.

It was happy to see a lot of radio actor formations in various booths.

I can laugh at ONE PIECE with a variety of costume play clothes every
year.
It is the highest.
ONE PIECE 10, Surroundings..yr..still have a long way to go ..
hereafter.

Seems to be toying with us whether its 360.. or PS3.. or both..
Didn't like SE's closed door theatre.. too CG-y?
Loves One Piece..

SantaC

just because most of the Tales games are cheap budget games doesn't mean all of them suck duckroll. Some very nice work went into ToS and TotA

SantaC said:
just because most of the Tales games are cheap budget games doesn't mean all of them suck duckroll. Some very nice work went into ToS and TotA

I think nice work went into Legendia too. No one can deny the budget of that soundtrack. Too bad the gameplay kind of, um, sucked.

But I agree -- Symphonia and Abyss were amazing. It's sad we will probably never get Rebirth, DestinyRE, or Destiny 2. *sigh*

duckroll

SantaC said:

Hold right up. Maybe you should read every post I made in this thread first. Maybe you're directing this to the wrong person? Maybe you're looking for sp0rsk?! :D

Basch said:
You know what? Looking over it again, I am almost confident it is for PS3 or 360. The draw distance is just too good for anything less. Great image quality. Nice resolution. Shadows are rather advanced for a Tales game (no circular blobs, yes my eyesight is that good ). Great use of AA. No blocky textures.
The shadows, maybe, but I don't see how you can tell most of that from very-sub-SD camera shots.

Tales of Vesperia
SO1_7424.jpg

Tales of Symphonia
476f1e3a78df9.jpg
476f1e8cc650c.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Gotta be PS3 then. Why would Namco abandon DS for the 360?
Not sure why you'd say that after all the support Bamco has given the 360 this generation so far, could go either way really.

SantaC

duckroll said:
Hold right up. Maybe you should read every post I made in this thread first. Maybe you're directing this to the wrong person? Maybe you're looking for sp0rsk?! :D

I read your thread title :D

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
JoshuaJSlone said:
The shadows, maybe, but I don't see how you can tell most of that from very-sub-SD camera shots.

Tales of Vesperia
SO1_7424.jpg

Tales of Symphonia
476f1e3a78df9.jpg
476f1e8cc650c.jpg
*shock* those look almost exactly alike. could it possibly be that those two screens are small enough so that no one could possibly tell with 100% certainty of what system it's on? boulderdash!

doomed1 said:
*shock* those look almost exactly alike. could it possibly be that those two screens are small enough so that no one could possibly tell with 100% certainty of what system it's on? boulderdash!

Was the sarcasm really necessary? Especially when you were saying EXACTLY what his pictures already implied?

Basch

JoshuaJSlone said:

Tales of Vesperia
SO1_7424.jpg

Tales of Symphonia
476f1e3a78df9.jpg
476f1e8cc650c.jpg

I can't be the only one seeing this. I can easily see a shadow disconnected from a character that forms out in a line. Never seen that before in a Tales game. Plus, the draw distance is remarkably better, as is the backgrounds. Symphonia has closed in environments, and won't allow the camera to see far past them. If it does, they are easily fogged over. Where as in Vesperia, they are not. I think it is just harder to notice for some. Obviously, I can't say for certain, but I can at least gather some details that help ascertain the situation and form an evaluation from them. You don't even need to go along with what I am suggesting. I am just throwing it out there. You can either accept it or leave it. By the way, putting up those TOS screenshots did nothing to help your case. The environments are extremely blocky, the colors not as rich, the backgrounds not as smooth, and the boundaries defined. Not to mention the lighting, which makes all the more difference (just look at the screens). I just got done playing TOS today for a second time. I think I know how it looks. The worst part for me about its graphics is the lack of polish on the out of focus view during cutscenes: terrible pixelation issues. Other than that, it was pretty good for its time. But nothing like these Vesperia screenshots. I don't even remember the image quality of any scene in TOS being as good as this...

SO1_7395.jpg

On a side note, sorry duckroll. Didn't know you already translated it. It looked like it had been updated today, and I had a minute before I left with my brothers and friends to go see I Am Legend (good movie, by the way :D ). So I decided to ask. Thanks, flipping_heck, Barakov, and duckroll.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Basch said:
I can't be the only one seeing this. I can easily see a shadow disconnected from a character that forms out in a line. Never seen that before in a Tales game. Plus, the draw distance is remarkably better, as is the backgrounds. Symphonia has closed in environments, and won't allow the camera to see far past them. If it does, they are easily fogged over. Where as in Vesperia, they are not. I think it is just harder to notice for some. Obviously, I can't say for certain, but I can at least gather some details that help ascertain the situation and form an evaluation from them. You don't even need to go along with what I am suggesting. I am just throwing it out there. You can either accept it or leave it. By the way, putting up those TOS screenshots did nothing to help your case. The environments are extremely blocky, the colors not as rich, the backgrounds not as smooth, and the boundaries defined. Not to mention the lighting, which makes all the more difference (just look at the screens). I just got done playing TOS today for a second time. I think I know how it looks. The worst part for me about its graphics is the lack of polish on the out of focus view during cutscenes: terrible pixelation issues. Other than that, it was pretty good for its time. But nothing like these Vesperia screenshots. I don't even remember the image quality of any scene in TOS being as good as this...
alright, first lets find out why there were polish problems with Tales of Symphonia:
hardware limitations: the gamecube, as mighty a machine as it was, had a few limitations, mainly in the Disks they used. although the game was on 2 disks, pretty much all of the background images had to be on each disk. therefore, there was alot of compression and therefore a loss of quality. furthermore, i see no set pieces like boulders or any other landmark in those pics other than a pre-rendered, pre-drawn background that would fit on any current gen system regardless.
lighting engine: as seems to be the case in these recent screenshots, ToV has real time shadows, which ToS did not. furthermore, ToSKoR doesn't seem to have shaddows either. well, that MUST mean it's on the PS3 or 360 rite? wrong. the KoR engine is simply the ToS engine upped to handle more polygons in the character meshes and an increase in texture resolution now that they can fit it on the disk. it in NO WAY shows the limits of the Wii in terms of engine design. if symphonia team is doing this, and they're making the engine from the ground up, i'm certain that they could do alot with the system, considering how experienced they are with the hardware. in fact, i would imagine Namco would want their teams with the most experience with Nintendo Hardware on Nintendo projects (Tri-Crescendo did a great job graphically with the Batan Kaitos series and look where they are: working on a risky niche RPG on the Wii).

quite honestly, at this point i'm about as right as you on this, so for all my ranting, you could end up being right. however, i will maintain that given what we have seen so far (which is VERY LITTLE), there is no way to make any sort of assumptions on the project other than that it looks awesome (to some) and it's not for the DS. now lets leave it at that.

cress2000

I guess what I find interesting about this shadows thing is that even ToP for PS1 had dynamic shadows:

topshadows.png

Though the low resolution of the game doesn't really help. :p

EDIT: I suppose they're just scaled sprites, so maybe they're not all that amazing.

But a long-time member of my forum claims to have seen the trailer to ToV firsthand and had this to say:

I saw the trailer, and from how the celshading looked, it was quite hi-res and smooth, as in the models themselves appeared quite hipoly. Coupled with your normal background art, I had to say it looked quite swank.

Top Bottom