• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3) - Release date, price, etc announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I really like Julius's design. Leia's rocking the zettai ryouiki, I guess. Can't make heads or tails of Alvin. Still, I'm very happy to see both of them returning. I wonder if they've modified their fighting styles a bit (ex: Leia's rod extend and Alvin's charge) to make it as quick as Ludger's?

Really, Ludger's fighting style makes the battle system look very enticing.

http://andriasang.com/con1p6/xillia2_promotions/

"For some reason, Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada interrupted the broadcast to complain having to pay for swimsuit download content in past Tales games."

Ahahaha, Harada is quickly becoming one of my favorite game devs ever.
Wahahaha, this guy is amazing. Not afraid to complain about anything, I see.

Jiraiza

I love Leia's new look, so cute. Now it makes me wonder if Milla will come back and why the hell Leia is in this world?

Also, that's an expensive controller but the collector in me needs to finish the look with my Xilla PS3.

Rpgmonkey

Nore's done an update on the article:

-Julius is an agent of the Clanspia corporation with a very strong sense of responsibility.

-Alvin's currently struggling with a new business of transportation on railroad tracks. He's also growing a beard.

-Leia is training as an apprentice reporter for the Elympios Newspaper Company.

Bladenic

Oh Railroad tracks, hope we can ride a train lol.

Also I don't like Leia's hat thing at all. Alvin looks cool, and the new guy looks ace too.

I kind of get the feeling this game will not end up like Symphonia DotNW at all, let's hope.

Julius looks cool. I like Alvin and Leia's new designs too.

Elise and Milla next please. Rowan can be an NPC and Jude can stay home.

-Julius is an agent of the Clanspia corporation with a very strong sense of responsibility.

-Alvin's currently struggling with a new business of transportation on railroad tracks. He's also growing a beard.

Just checked Talesource, cause I thought that looked a little odd. That's actually a translation error. The 'tracks' part is right, but it's a turn of phrase. The correct translation would be "struggling to get his new business on track"

Aeana

Sold.

Rpgmonkey

Unless something goes really wrong I bet Alvin is going to go up a spot or two on the character rankings.

Just checked Talesource, cause I thought that looked a little odd. That's actually a translation error. The 'tracks' part is right, but it's a turn of phrase. The correct translation would be "struggling to get his new business on track"

Yeah I kinda had a feeling it was a little off. Thanks.

Aeana

Bclr8.jpg

More of this.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Bclr8.jpg

More of this.

That looks really funny actually. That's what Abe Lincoln would look like if he had a thicker beard and if he was in Xillia.

EDIT: actually he looks like that guy from Graces. The guy from Zavert.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I kinda wish Julius was the main character instead.

Rpgmonkey

Julius is 28 as well apparently.

There's also "Unique Link Artes" or something, but the difference between those and normal ones isn't really clear.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
More Link Artes, preferably ones that aren't just for the MC and another main character, are welcome. Link Artes are pretty fun to use in general, mostly because they get rid of things quickly if you use the right elemental against the target.

fionel

I bought ToX on release date thinking it should have legs like vesperia and graces in the used-game market before it but alas the game itself, while fun, was clearly rushed and price dropped to next to nothing. And now ToX2 only a year later? Not getting burned twice :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'd love to see Leia getting more Artes. I wonder if Alvin will basically remain the same or play a bit differently. I loved playing him in Xillia 1.

Rpgmonkey

A few pictures of the magazine has shown up.

They don't give any official artwork for Nova but they did for Julius. He seems like a "surprise character" where he turns out to be playable at some point in the game.

Battle system appears to have gotten some tweaks, along with a few UI changes:

*The weakness system from Graces, where you get a damage multiplier for hitting an enemy's weaknesses, is back.
*The UI is mostly the same as Xillia's, but things like the portraits and Assault Counter seems to be a little larger.
*Leia and Alvin have the same special abilities, but they're going to have a bunch of new artes.
*I think Unique Link Artes are attacks done between unlinked characters, and Common Link Artes are the usual Link Artes used with linked characters?
*I think the Sidestep from Graces is in (the combat clip they showed back when they announced this also suggested this).

So far it's looking like it'll be flashier, faster, and more technical than the first game was.

Edit: It looks like Unique Link Artes and Common Link Artes both require a link. Unique Link Artes are similar to the Xillia ones: attacks done through specific characters. Common Link Artes are through any pair, not sure if those are shown in the scan.

Aeana

Definitely like the idea of common link artes that any character pair can use. Glad they've added that. I think it'll make a pretty big difference.

*The weakness system from Graces, where you get a damage multiplier for hitting an enemy's weaknesses, is back.
Good but xillia was almost broken with his own simplified version of weakness system ( totally obvious when playing with milla , elise or rowen ) ..i dunno how it'll work this time ..
*The UI is mostly the same as Xillia's, but things like the portraits and Assault Counter seems to be a little larger.
*Leia and Alvin have the same special abilities, but they're going to have a bunch of new artes.
Very good , Xillia UI was great .Alvin & leia had a very varied artes & skill set .. ..can't wait seriously ..
*I think Unique Link Artes are attacks done between unlinked characters, and Common Link Artes are the usual Link Artes used with linked characters?
This should at least provide more options to chain combos ..i guess swapping characters is still In ?We could have some crazy possibilities , here.
*I think the Sidestep from Graces is in (the combat clip they showed back when they announced this also suggested this).
Leia & jude already had some sidestep habilities..the fact not everyone could do this added to the cast variety..i hope they don't break the cast balance by giving everyone the same base habilities ..it's no fun for me..
So far it's looking like it'll be flashier, faster, and more technical than the first game was.

PERFECT

Datschge

acks done between unlinked characters, and Common Link Artes are the usual Link Artes used with linked characters?
Their way of trying to unbreak the broken multiplayer/soloing I guess. Sounds like the artes ball in ToV PS3 approach wise (not really resolving an issue but padding another half-solution on the top of it).

Leia & jude already had some sidestep habilities..the fact not everyone could do this added to the cast variety..i hope they don't break the cast balance by giving everyone the same base habilities ..it's no fun for me..
They could like give everyone the ability but vary it by range and speed, just like with all other basic abilities really. Sidestepping is not magic or something so I find it really odd for it to be treated as such only to have characters essentially represent arbitrarily different battle systems (makes sense in a crossover game like RM, but in a main game? Naw.).

Rpgmonkey

Eh, there's variety and there's gimping everyone else just to make someone else stand out. Stuff like Jude's more advanced backstep is fine as a character-specific ability, but I don't see why everyone can't do a simple sidestep. The lack of cohesiveness in basic commands like that does more harm than good, imo.

I think the basic actions (free run, jump, backstep, sidestep, forward dash, and guard) should be something everyone can do. From there they can do exclusive abilities, artes, and skills to differentiate.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Saw the scans, looking really good.

I put in my pre-order the other day for the normal edition, but it seems Play-Asia will also offer the one that comes with the controller if anyone's interested.

They could like give everyone the ability but vary it by range and speed, just like with all other basic abilities really. Sidestepping is not magic or something so I find it really odd for it to be treated as such only to have characters essentially represent arbitrarily different battle systems (makes sense in a crossover game like RM, but in a main game? Naw.).

Eh, there's variety and there's gimping everyone else just to make someone else stand out. Stuff like Jude's more advanced backstep is fine as a character-specific ability, but I don't see why everyone can't do a simple sidestep. The lack of cohesiveness in basic commands like that does more harm than good, imo.

I think the basic actions (free run, jump, backstep, sidestep, forward dash, and guard) should be something everyone can do. From there they can do exclusive abilities, artes, and skills to differentiate.

That's what i'm refering to.
I made sense that elise didn't side step and it made sense that jude and leia got it ...But i was talking about those character specific habilities that made each character from the xillia cast unique ( super side step for jude, staff xtension for leia , charge for alvin ) ..on that aspect everything was more balanced than ever in xillia ..i'm personnally fine with Elise not side stepping , it's not how her character is set-up after all (Tipo is there after all )

Rpgmonkey

Their way of trying to unbreak the broken multiplayer/soloing I guess. Sounds like the artes ball in ToV PS3 approach wise (not really resolving an issue but padding another half-solution on the top of it).
This should at least provide more options to chain combos ..i guess swapping characters is still In ?We could have some crazy possibilities , here.

Edited my post to explain this more accurately. I read that very, very poorly.

So I'm not sure if this fixes the multiplayer/solo issues, but I guess it does alleviate the problem of some pairs not getting enough Link Artes and Link Artes being somewhat scarce in general.

I think there are ways to salvage multiplayer, mostly through retaining player control when linked and letting the player use partner abilities themselves (which I think should be done even ignoring multiplayer, maybe with a cooldown/charge to prevent them from being spammed), but I'm not sure about solo-play. Hopefully the Mystic Arte system makes more sense within the context of the requirements to activate it though, it was really clunky in the first game.

Rpgmonkey

The battle shots with Leia and Ludger's Link Arte suggests that Fatal Strikes are back. The glyph looks really similar to the Fatal Strike glyphs from Vesperia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom