• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Sorta both.

Using the out of battle menu to switch characters, fight with all characters 150 times, and after, within battle, use the battle act to switch randomly. Seems this does it. worked for me and everyone else.

For the item collecting one, just open all chests, do all side quests, and open all chests in the EX dungeon. Many people, including me, have gotten it without getting ALL items or opening ALL chests, though.

We still have no idea the exact numbers or the exact flags for the trophy, but these methods work.

Oh Goddammit ...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Solo mystic artes are so useless. Kamui Mystic Artes on the other hand... Way more useful.

Also, I'm seeing the appeal for the Blast Gauge now. It's still extremely unbalanced.

EDIT:

Also important to note. From what I understand the DLC Mystic Artes that were Cameo Mystic Artes. Apparently everyone in the game has two mystic artes except for Mikleo, Lailah, and Alisha. So.... do the math. I guess.... this is pretty much DLC Mystic Artes for the 3 characters that don't have two. LOLOLOL.

kayos90

What kind of stuff can you do with blast gauge?

Reset the Arte Counters, Kamui and Kamui-related special abilities, Mystic Artes.

I guess you can use it to blow a certain enemy away but is literally the weirdest way imo and not worth the gauge usage.

Peff

The Kamui healing and Kamui strong attack split the usage between both characters, right? It does seem a little too easy to get back thanks to the guard charge. What's the maximum number of bars you can get?

kayos90

The Kamui healing and Kamui strong attack split the usage between both characters, right? It does seem a little too easy to get back thanks to the guard charge. What's the maximum number of bars you can get?

When you go into Kamui your Blast gauge is combined. It will split evenly on separation. Does that help?

Heyt

Banned
How is dashing/side-stepping managed? At first I thought it would be with the blast gauge but it seems I was wrong. And the other resources are just HP and Spirit Chain for artes. Can you just spam the dashing? odd.

Also, that blast gauge pushback hability works on bosses too...?

kayos90

How is dashing/side-stepping managed? At first I thought it would be with the blast gauge but it seems I was wrong. And the other resources are just HP and Spirit Chain for artes. Can you just spam the dashing? odd.

Also, that blast gauge pushback hability works on bosses too...?

The distance of the side-step is not that long compare to the Graces so you actually have to dodge pretty precisely otherwise you'll get hit. It's not like Graces where you can dodge and get away but you don't get the bonus. Here it's if you dodge you'll pretty much get the bonus.

You can spam dashing.

Peff

When you go into Kamui your Blast gauge is combined. It will split evenly on separation. Does that help?

Oh, I thought it still spent each character's bar separately, just half of the usual amount. Good to know!

Dashing uses SC.

Though as far as I can tell, Free Run doesn't, which is a bit weird.

Heyt

Banned
Is SC max is allways 100? How can you thell how many artes can you use with it? Do all artes cost 25 SC or the game just doesn't let you use more than 4 even if you have SC left?

kayos90

The targets will go after whoever is dishing out the most damage for the most part. There is a sense of building aggro but it will drop after a while.

As for SC. The max is 100. Each Arte has a different cost but you just can't chain more than 4 without using the Blast Gauge.

On another note, you can't continue to battle out in the field. Your max SC will drop after every battle and that means you will start with less SC each and every fight. You have to eat cooking to stay out in the field or go back to town and rest.

Heyt

Banned
As for SC. The max is 100. Each Arte has a different cost but you just can't chain more than 4 without using the Blast Gauge.

That doesn't make much sense to me. Why not be able to spend you SC on any number of artes you can/want to do and then use 1BG to then refill it if you want? That 4 arte cap sounds like a very weird and artificial limitation. Is it done this way to balance something out or just a dumb decision?

On another note, you can't continue to battle out in the field. Your max SC will drop after every battle and that means you will start with less SC each and every fight. You have to eat cooking to stay out in the field or go back to town and rest

Another weird one. So you have to stack up tons of food before entering a dungeon to prevent not having any SC at all when you reach the boss?

All this things you guys are telling sound so strange after how simple, compact and effective Graces' system was. Or most Udo's, really.

kayos90

That doesn't make much sense to me. Why not be able to spend you SC any number of artes you can/want to do and then use 1BG to refill if you want? Sounds like a very weird and artificial limitation. Is it done this way to balance something out or just a dumb decision?

You want to be able to spam artes infinitely with bosses unable to do nothing without skill? =P

Another weird one. So you have to stack up tons of food before entering a dungeon to prevent not having any SC at all when you reach the boss?

All this things you guys are telling sound so weird after how simple, compact and effective Graces' system was. Or most Udo's, really.

You get a lot of cooked items as drops so no need to worry really.

Well... I haven't been singing the game many praises if you ahven't noticed lol. The game is pretty not so good for the most part rofl.

Peff

Interestingly it's not just attacks, you can advance the 4-action limit by stepping too, and Kamuis have a 3-action limit instead, not to mention it takes ages for them to recover SC.

kayos90

Interestingly it's not just attacks, you can advance the 4-action limit by stepping too, and Kamuis have a 3-action limit instead, not to mention it takes ages for them to recover SC.

It's fast to recover SC in Kamui at first but it slows down the longer you're int the form.

And yes, Side-stepping advances the Artes Counter but please note that it doesn't necessarily reset it.

Heyt

Banned
So dashing may take 1 off one of the 4 artes you can do in a combo... or reset the cap entirely? How does that work? Are you actually in control of that? Does the "reset dash" require skill or is it kinda random?

kayos90

So dashing may take 1 off one of the 4 artes you can do in a combo... or reset the cap entirely? How does that work? Are you actually in control of that? Does the "reset dash" require skill or is it kinda random?

You will not reset the tree with the dash successfully. You must stop temporarily in order to properly reset otherwise you'll mess up the combo entirely giving the boss invincibility frames.

Rpgmonkey

Finally got the game! I've only put about two hours in but my thoughts so far:

-This doesn't seem to be brought up much, but I like how each enemy in Monster Book has some kind of comment from the cast about them.

-It's weird to play a Tales game where items don't have icons. One of the series traditions I thought they'd never drop.

-Camera is indeed annoying in tighter spaces, and now that I'm getting more visually intensive attacks the framerate is starting to suffer. Pop-in is really noticeable but at least it loads in fast unlike the Xillias where there'd be invisible objects in front of you for several seconds.

-Pretty positive opinion of the characters so far.

kayos90

Finally got the game! I've only put about two hours in but my thoughts so far:

-This doesn't seem to be brought up much, but I like how each enemy in Monster Book has some kind of comment from the cast about them.

-It's weird to play a Tales game where items don't have icons. One of the series traditions I thought they'd never drop.

-Camera is indeed annoying in tighter spaces, and now that I'm getting more visually intensive attacks the framerate is starting to suffer. Pop-in is really noticeable but at least it loads in fast unlike the Xillias where there'd be invisible objects in front of you for several seconds.

-Pretty positive opinion of the characters so far.

Glad you finally go the game. I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts more.

Heyt

Banned
You will not reset the tree with the dash successfully. You must stop temporarily in order to properly reset otherwise you'll mess up the combo entirely giving the boss invincibility frames.

That sounds interesting. So you can build long combos spacing 4 arte chunks with calculated pauses and dashes...?

Thanks for answering all these questions by the way. I'm very interested on how all o this works.

kayos90

That sounds interesting. So you can build long combos spacing 4 arte chunks with calculated pauses and dashes...?

Thanks for answering all these questions by the way. I'm very interested on how all o this works.

In order to stagger the boss, timing is pretty key. When you use your artes to continue bashing him is really important. If you don't think you can keep the combo going with your AI party then you can expend the Blast Gauge to reset your counter.

Heyt

Banned
In order to stagger the boss, timing is pretty key. When you use your artes to continue bashing him is really important. If you don't think you can keep the combo going with your AI party then you can expend the Blast Gauge to reset your counter.

That sounds way more interesting. A few more things: does entering Kamui at the end of a arte batch reset the counter? How does Kamui having a limit of 3 artes instead of 4 play into combo building? And lastly: Any limitation on how can A and B artes be combined in sequence?

kayos90

That sounds way more interesting. A few more things: does entering Kamui at the end of a arte batch reset the counter? How does Kamui having a limit of 3 artes instead of 4 play into combo building? And lastly: Any limitation on how can A and B artes be combined in sequence?

Entering Kamui does reset it but there's a delay between trying to connect your combo with Kamui so you're relying on your party to keep hitting. Leaving Kamui mid-combo keeps your Arte counter though. Kamui's artes are very hard hitting and multi-hit based so it's good for combo-building.

You're limited in mix matching based on the Arte Counter. That's it.

Heyt

Banned
The system doesn't sound as bad as I thought after all, buf after all the criticism it's getting I can only say I can't wait to have my hands on it when it releases over here.

Thanks again for your answers.

kayos90

Could you please elaborate a bit on that, please Kayos?

The combining of items is neat but it seems extremely shallow because the game doesn't necessarily give you that many items to choose from and you can only fuse same items. The skill system is weird because you have to have the board arranged in a certain way to get bonuses but it's tied to the items with the skills which you can't necessarily control. There's just a lot of things to do but not a high degree of control when it comes to customizing your characters. This is only one example. I'm sure others can expand on how they feel.

Peff

It's certainly an unconventional game when it comes to RPG progression systems.. you don't get extra stats every level, the skills are stuck to equipment, Arte learning is slow... it does feels a bit static. I have a feeling they may have wanted to guide the player to learning about the elemental weakness system, which is quite powerful, and they completely failed at that in Xillia 2 going by the amount of people who had trouble with Victor or Rideaux. The problem is that hitting weak points allows you to mow normal enemies down like a runaway road roller.

Fisico

Dashing uses SC.
Though as far as I can tell, Free Run doesn't, which is a bit weird.

Free Run doesn't use SC, but using Free Run is preventing you from recovering SC.
Which is why I chose to deactivate the Free & Free Battle Act (which allow you to have Freen Run activated by default) after a few battles,

23 hours in now, and I'm at a point where I can move forward with the story, or go to the north and south of the big field and go do some sidequests.
Of course, I'll go do those sidequests first :p Especially that south one, I want what it's going to offer.

I'm really wondering when I'm going to get
Edna's
field skill because I really want to
break all the rocks blocking my path and shortcuts

Holmes

And thus I lay down my hand, if but for a brief respite...

WDdje2z.jpg
Good job keisuke!!

Shouta

This water temple man. What the fuck.

It's probably the most frustrating dungeon in the game simply because of the camera and the mechanic being annoying, lol.

Finished the game. Overall, I liked it. It's definitely rough though and needed a lot more polish. It has a ton of great ideas but a lot of is done in a manner that isn't super friendly to the player.

The skill system in particularly is nice but needs to be refined so there's more control or massively increase the drop rate and variety of skills attached. Leveling up the Area Guardians individually is really silly and time consuming making it harder to really get into farming and using all of the Normins and blessings. You end up using a lot of Gald on not very much either tbh.

Kamui really needed to be more than what it is. The 4 action limit on combos without the usage of BG was really frustrating especially because of the way recoiled after you hit them making it difficult to continue like you want. Also, it felt like enemies and bosses often recovered quickly so your combo would go to waste. I also didn't really enjoy the attack triangle as much as I had hoped, it got a little annoying when certain types of enemies got on screen.

Story-wise, I generally liked it. Interesting change of pace compared to other Tales' games but like the rest of the game, it's really rough around the edges. The content is really good (message, setting etc) but the composition of the story and flow needed more work. Lots of things are talked about but not explored or certain things come up that weren't foreshadowed as much.

Characters are enjoyable but needed to be better integrated into the story and have more development throughout. There are a few that really suffer because there's no structure to their stuff and others just don't have any real content at all, lol.

I'm a bit tired so I'm just typing stuff, heh. Anyway, I'd like to see more with this mold, for sure but I'm not sure I'd say Zestiria is a success. It's definitely a little more on the disappointing side than anything.

3Kaze

Beat the game with 50 hours on the clock. Played in evil mode for monsters, hard for bosses and normal for the last boss (died a few times in hard so it was clear I wasn't going to get the trophy). I explored most of the field/dungeons and did a lot of side quests as well.

The game is alright, it really suffers from a lack of polish. There are a lot of graphical and performance issues, like aliasing and sub 30 fps. On the plus side, the seamless transitions are good, but the game is still lagging during cutscenes so it's nowhere near perfect. Cutscenes direction seemed worse than the Xillia games too.
The story is serviceable if not a bit boring. It's really simple and doesn't have dumb twists for the sake of padding, but it felt like nothing happened for a good chunk of the story, there are only a few interesting bits and that's it. I did not like the ending. I like the cast though. No one was annoying or an asshole.

I like the flow of the battles but there are really weird decisions like 4 artes chaining limitation, and you can only assign 5 artes. The battle act for using high level arte when holding is not good because it uses the low level arte first. Strategy options are really limited and the IA is fucking dumb. Also, I don't get the super armor thing when casting a magic, it's really annoying when you face a bunch of monsters which only use magic. As for the auxiliary systems, I didn't care about most of them. Field and dungeon designs are much better than the Xillia games, but it really needed a sprint button. The support talent sucks because it forces you to fight when you just want to run around. Not being able to open all the chests from the beginning is bullshit.

I can't say I liked the game more than Xillia overall. It has more content but it's even less polished. Now, time to suffer while getting all the trophies.

Sorta both.

Using the out of battle menu to switch characters, fight with all characters 150 times, and after, within battle, use the battle act to switch randomly. Seems this does it. worked for me and everyone else.

For the item collecting one, just open all chests, do all side quests, and open all chests in the EX dungeon. Many people, including me, have gotten it without getting ALL items or opening ALL chests, though.

We still have no idea the exact numbers or the exact flags for the trophy, but these methods work.

What did you exactly do for the "fighting with a lot of characters" trophy? And does it include Alisha? :p

aravuus

The story is serviceable if not a bit boring. It's really simple and doesn't have dumb twists for the sake of padding, but it felt like nothing happened for a good chunk of the story, there are only a few interesting bits and that's it. I did not like the ending. I like the cast though. No one was annoying or an asshole.

What, no 'dumb' twists? But they're the best thing about Tales stories :(

Shouta

In exchange for being straightforward the story tries to get the characters to think a bit more about what's going on and what they're doing instead of trying to tell them it every time. It's actually a little bit refreshing in that respect. The moral conflict for the MC helps this a bit.

aravuus

The game is extremely straightforward. Like hilarious so.

What a shame, the game-changing twists have always been my favorite thing about the stories, and I consider story to be almost as important as gameplay when talking about most RPGs.

Oh well, still buying day one. Actually good to know beforehand, even Graces' story was enjoyable in some weird way when you knew how bad it was gonna be.

kayos90

In exchange for being straightforward the story tries to get the characters to think a bit more about what's going on and what they're doing instead of trying to tell them it every time. It's actually a little bit refreshing in that respect. The moral conflict for the MC helps this a bit.

I'm glad the the cast in this game is not dumb and follows the antics of the dumb MC. In the past it was like MC goes "I'm going to join this war" and instead of the smart on in the group going "oh shit this is a bad idea" everyone's brains turns off and follows the MC like a mindless idiot. Here everyone voices their own thoughts and Sorey just makes a choice. And even then Sorey does shit that he doesn't want to do either because Lailah said "fuck you. no."

Shouta

I'm glad the the cast in this game is not dumb and follows the antics of the dumb MC. In the past it was like MC goes "I'm going to join this war" and instead of the smart on in the group going "oh shit this is a bad idea" everyone's brains turns off and follows the MC like a mindless idiot. Here everyone voices their own thoughts and Sorey just makes a choice. And even then Sorey does shit that he doesn't want to do either because Lailah said "fuck you. no."

Yeah, I appreciated that a lot. Though I kind of wish they had taken it a little further than they did. They have glimpses of it but didn't follow through.

Top Bottom