• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Rpgmonkey

Not playing the DLC until I finish the game so I don't have much to say on that, but in the main story I've made it up to Pendrago. My current, non-final impression is that I'm enjoying it a lot more than Xillia, a bit more than Xillia 2, around the same as Vesperia (give or take some "points"), and a bit less than Graces. Story's getting more interesting, battle system's picking up, and I'm starting to get the hang of the sub systems. I think the real test will be the last third or so, that's usually the low point of most Tales games imo.

I actually like the equipment system somewhat, but I don't like that you need equipment of the same name to synthesize, and like other people have mentioned you can't really figure out how this affects your bonus sheet unless you know where the skills already go. I think the former problem would be less annoying if it were easier to get equipment of the same name, sometimes you luck out and the shop has two or you find two, sometimes it's tough and you're stuck for a while.

Maybe this is a good thing to some people, but I feel like they nerfed the side step too hard in this game. On one hand it feels more like an achievement when you pull it off a perfect dodge, on the other it's made me more hesitant to attempt it and I usually just resort to getting out of the range of attacks since it's safer. But the game doesn't have anything as crazy as Eleth Burst and the other ways to fill BG aren't too slow, so I feel less compelled to use it anyway. Somewhat related to this, I got the Free & Free skill and it's weird to play a Tales game where Free Run is the default, if I played on semi-auto it'd almost be a Star Ocean game lol. It actually feels a lot more natural than I expected however.

When it comes to the framerate I've seen Xillia and Xillia 2's framerates go much lower than anything I've seen in Zestiria so far, but to be fair I would also say they maintained an average that was equivalent or likely higher than Zestiria's. At the moment I found the Xillias' framerate drops more noticeable and annoying, but I'm the type that's really annoyed by sudden and severe drops but can usually bear with a game that fluctuates within the 20-30 fps range. Pick your poison I guess... Either way I think the series really needs to pull another Vesperia and give the ambitious ideas a break for a game or two so they can prioritize fixing the mounting technical issues and making a cleaner and better-optimized game. Hopefully Zestiria is the last part of some foundation they wanted to establish before going into next gen and the next game will focus on iteration over innovation.

Shouta

Finished the DLC. It's about 3-5 hours depending on what you're doing. I was on Simple and kinda rushed through it but still took me like 3 hours or so.

As for the content of the DLC, Story spoilers for it here so don't ready if you haven't finished both the game and the DLC:
It basically closes the end of her Arc. She goes to see what happened to Sorey and give the "answer" she had fretted about through most of the game. She didn't have to be just a princess or a knight, or a politician, she can be all of that if she wants. She really wanted to be her with friends and she's realized that traveling with Rose and the others to meet Sorey.

Alisha and Rose butt heads throughout the DLC in such a strange way but it's kind of amusing in a way. They're just putting on airs the entire time until the end. The only thing that is interesting is that there are hints of more DLC or maybe Zestiria 2? Lunarl is shown as alive and he's waiting to regain his power so he come back and rampage around more

Soriku

The only thing that is interesting is that there are hints of more DLC or maybe Zestiria 2? Lunarl is shown as alive and he's waiting to regain his power so he come back and rampage around more

hmmm-interesting.jpeg

Heyt

Banned
5 hours? That's wat shorter than what I expected. Does anyone know what is pissing off people again about the DLC?

Datschge

Just wanted to note that the DLC has an own staff roll, which is mostly the same but smaller except for a few changes and additions. Notable I found the addition of Namco composer Eriko Sakurai and the change of the chat/skit writer to Aya Sato (did storyboard on Xillia 2). So if one of those feels different from the main game, this may be the reason.

Fisico

Just wanted to note that the DLC has an own staff roll, which is mostly the same but smaller except for a few changes and additions. Notable I found the addition of Namco composer Eriko Sakurai and the change of the chat/skit writer to Aya Sato (did storyboard on Xillia 2). So if one of those feels different from the main game, this may be the reason.

Thanks for sharing, I'll pay more attention when playing it tomorrow now :p

3Kaze

Oh, the new composer probably did the battle and dungeon theme then, they didn't sound like Shiina and Sakuraba at all.

Finished Alisha DLC. Glad we got it for free because it wasn't very good. That dungeon was so terrible.
Didn't like how Rose suddenly became an asshole, felt a bit like Xillia after Milla's "death". Renard being alive is very pointless, it's probably a dlc though. A TOZ2 happening before TOZ's epilogue wouldn't make much sense, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Bamco want to milk it.

So i kinda resumed playing ... i think it clicked ... i'm now having fun with the game I think it was when i got a bunch a skills that unlocked at once that let me improve more stuff ..

Ps: It feels like this game doesn't have enough skits , minor complain but now that how i feel ...

Shouta

Oh, the new composer probably did the battle and dungeon theme then, they didn't sound like Shiina and Sakuraba at all.

Finished Alisha DLC. Glad we got it for free because it wasn't very good. That dungeon was so terrible.
Didn't like how Rose suddenly became an asshole, felt a bit like Xillia after Milla's "death". Renard being alive is very pointless, it's probably a dlc though. A TOZ2 happening before TOZ's epilogue wouldn't make much sense, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Bamco want to milk it.

I noticed that too but I think there are reasons for it.

awdrifter

So I just unlocked the hiougi. I understand that it's R2+O, but it says 連携中, so in coordination? What does that mean? Sorry, my Japanese is not that good.

So I just unlocked the hiougi. I understand that it's R2+O, but it says 連携中, so in coordination? What does that mean? Sorry, my Japanese is not that good.

You need to use it in a combo. Hit enemy twice and then try it. Different hiougi have different requirements.

Mendrox

You need to use it in a combo. Hit enemy twice and then try it. Different hiougi have different requirements.

First level hi ougis are always Arte+R2&Circle aren't they? Always works for me. Second level is 4 hit combo and the same combo and kamui hi ougi is thesame as the normal level one.

Rpgmonkey

Finished the fire trial dungeon. Probably one of the better Tales dungeons I've gone through in a long time: good music, actual puzzles and level design, enemy encounters were ok, and a decent boss fight.

I'm liking the Kamui system more than Xillia's linking. It's kinda one note (underutilized?) so far, but I think most of the central gimmicks in Tales games are like that and the more fun elements almost always come from the other features. I'm starting to get the hang of when you should fuse and separate, so it at least has that dynamic going for it.

So i kinda resumed playing ... i think it clicked ... i'm now having fun with the game I think it was when i got a bunch a skills that unlocked at once that let me improve more stuff ..

Ps: It feels like this game doesn't have enough skits , minor complain but now that how i feel ...

Apparently the game actually has a lot, but they took the Graces approach to skits and made them really circumstantial, so it's easy to miss quite a few of them if you end up not doing the right thing in the right place at the right time.

Finished the fire trial dungeon. Probably one of the better Tales dungeons I've gone through in a long time: good music, actual puzzles and level design, enemy encounters were ok, and a decent boss fight.

I'm liking the Kamui system more than Xillia's linking. It's kinda one note (underutilized?) so far, but I think most of the central gimmicks in Tales games are like that and the more fun elements almost always come from the other features. I'm starting to get the hang of when you should fuse and separate, so it at least has that dynamic going for it.

Apparently the game actually has a lot, but they took the Graces approach to skits and made them really circumstantial, so it's easy to miss quite a few of them if you end up not doing the right thing in the right place at the right time.

I actually hate this approach , for exemple , in the temple where i get the water kamui transformation , how should have i know that i needed to got back to the weapon altar in order to get 1 skit ?
I got this one by luck because , since "he" was following me , i kinda wanted to know how the game would react if i backtracked ...

I absolutely love blanter and i dislike how it's handled in zestria.

awdrifter

Is there a way to rewatch the skit that you have gotten so far? I remember there's an option in the menu in Xillia, but I can't seem to find it here.

Link1110

I'm not at home in China. I have a PS3 here in ny though and I bought the Alicia dlc on there so it's on my account. I Think it's like the first dlc I ever "bought" so I wanna check. It'll be on my account and re downloadable when I get back home on the PS3 I always use like a game, right?

Bebpo

Banned
Oh wow, this earth temple music is epic. Love the temple tracks.

Also, are the mini-boss monsters around the world supposed to be beatable if you're levels below them? Because they still wipe my party in a couple of attacks on second or even normal.

Game keeps getting difficulty increases. Still on second, but occasionally getting killed and losing 15-20 mins of progress from dangerous encounters. Hell, a group of Nagas is scary as fuck outside this earth temple. Finally having to start messing around with the Ai settings.

Edna's scene at the temple start was great haha. I love the skits in this one with all the nice hand drawn art pieces thrown in for emphasis on a ton of them. I keep staying at the inn after each story event and I'm impressed at how many skits there are in this one.

Peff

Yeah, the AI can be annoying, especially when you fight the easy-to-sidestep, damaging-if-hit bosses and you can see the party members rushing straight into the attacks and just hitting the super armor.

But boy, does it ever feel good when you pull off two/three dodges in a row, kamui and combo. They really nailed that feedback, both visually and aurally. I wonder how the US/Europe in general will react to the middle-ground between Xillia and Graces approach, though, it'd be a shame if that and the the lack of a PS4 version killed the game's chances.

Bebpo

Banned
Another thing I like a lot about this game is how the sidequests are so close to main quests it can be hard to tell which you're doing. There's been one or two times I've followed a quest line with cutscenes and boss battles only to go "wait, was that a sidequest?". I really like how they're given the same quality presentation as the main story. I'll take a jrpg with 15 sidequests that are all as quality as main story quests over 90 mmo fetch quest sidequests anyday.

The Tenzoku changing with L2 + direction, when you get the hang of it makes the battles flow really well. Jump into an encounter, see the weaknesses of the enemy group, on the fly switch in the right characters for the job, dodge the enemy, kamui, take them out quick.

I still don't know if I like the battle system better than Graces, but it's one of the best 3d Tales battle systems. Graces probably wins beacause of the camera ^^;

And yeah, the Fire Temple reminded me of a Zelda type dungeon but not as complex. It's still so much better than jrpg "dungeons" that are just hallways with some dead end branches. I'm very glad to see Tales bringing back puzzle dungeons because those were always my favorite dungeons in the series, the ones that used the elemental rings and stuff.

I'm level 66 and playing on Hard up until now, but I've got a few boss battles recently that got on my nerves so I reduced the difficulty to beat them then cranked it back up.
I sincerely hope the next "trophy boss" on Hard isn't going be a bitch...I found Hard to be easy-ish but now it's been 2 or 3 times where there clearly was a problem somewhere (
the bosses during the time you have to collect all Memories of the Land got a sudden power up, or at least some of them because I found High Elephant to be a bitch (one-two shot) as was the medusa boss (wtf petrification) but the Titan was a joke though...however Mavin spammed his hi-ougi and killed everyone several times
)

edit: alright, that boss wasn't too bad in fact. It makes it even stranger that some of the ones before it were totally more difficult. Oh well.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, Earth Temple
was weird with no boss at the end. Spent like 10 mins re-arranging equipment to get ready for a tough boss fight and then...no boss! Wtf. The Minotaur wasn't really much of a major boss. Thought he was the mid-boss.

awdrifter

I'm kinda stuck. I need to go to
Godojin (ゴドジン)
and right now I'm at
High Road Cliff
But I'm blocked by
either a bunch of plants or a rock
. When I walk up to it it shows ???, I have
fire, teleport and invisibility
at this point, but I can't seem to do anything to them. Please help.

Ok, Nvm, I just needed to use my sword. I feel so dumb now. lol.

Fisico

I'm kinda stuck. I need to go to
Godojin (ゴドジン)
and right now I'm at
High Road Cliff
But I'm blocked by
either a bunch of plants or a rock
. When I walk up to it it shows ???, I have
fire, teleport and invisibility
at this point, but I can't seem to do anything to them. Please help.

Ok, Nvm, I just needed to use my sword. I feel so dumb now. lol.

Don't worry I had the exact same problem and ended up wandering for two hours before coming back and... well, cut the plants.

awdrifter

I think I'm truly stuck now. I'm at the Fire Trial Temple (火の試煉神殿) and I can't light the door with the 4 flames. Please help, thanks.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think I'm truly stuck now. I'm at the Fire Trial Temple (火の試煉神殿) and I can't light the door with the 4 flames. Please help, thanks.

The torches are labeled with numbers. You also have to light them on the sides the mark exists. =/ It's a dumb puzzle.

I'm in the final stretch myself at 63h and level 72.
But there are a lot of sidequests and I don't want them to expire if I enter the final dungeon so I'm going to spend a fair amount of time doing them before proceeding onwards.

I also may need to seriously think about some of those trophies, mainly the skill based ones because they seem the hardest to pull off (Same 4/16 and Elm 10).
So far I haven't used the fusion of equipment in the game except for one time because I wanted to test it...

edit:
- I love the (very late game boss)
Tiamat
theme song, especially the very beginning, that effect is gooooood.
- The scene before the final stretch, in
Lastonbell
, is very well done I thought...
Edna
killed it with
her
lines. So powerful and I was really excited when
she delivered her "iya yo" line towards Zaveid. They really did a great job on that scene.

Bebpo

Banned
I think at this point around 26 hours in, Zestiria is like 75% my ideal Tales of game. And it really feels like a Team Destiny game but with much better character/story writing.

Zestiria hits the right notes on:

+Battles
+Writing, good characters who act logical for 90% of the time instead of like morons and tropes. Strikes a good balance of humor, fun, serious and occasional heavy/dark.
+Sidequests; well integrated and feel substantial
+Pacing
+Skits; field skits are great here, tons of skits, lots of great skit art
+Dungeon design (though it can be improved even more for sure; go even further in Zelda puzzle direction)
+Music
+Presentation and transitions

The 25% I'd like to see them improve for the next Tales with Zestiria as the base is:

-Even more connected open world. I don't want loading screens between parts of a dungeon or 1st floor/2nd floor. Stream that stuff. Also I just want everything to really feel like one giant world instead of a bunch of connected sections. For whatever reason Xenoblade/FFXII nail this, but Zestiria still feels like a bunch of connected giant areas and dungeons instead of one cohesive world.
-Camera, this was pretty bad haha ^^;
-A small nitpick but the world map is the worst I've ever seen in a game. It's so hard to visually tell the geography of the world and not being able to pan around freely to see what the Zestiria world looks like is really dumb and annoying. Make a good world map next time!
-Better rewards for optional dungeons and stuff. They're fun to explore, but they'd be more fun if you actually got cool stuff from exploring them.
-Which leads into the equipment/skill system, I don't mind it, but next time they should do something a little more traditional here. Mainly because most of the chests are useless in Zestiria because the equipment doesn't work right with your character or compare in stats. With a more normalized equipment system, they can make exploring more worthwhile through good loot in chests.
-A few more things to do in the open fields besides chests/monsters/discoveries. Try to have more of an ecosystem where monsters live and interact with each other instead of just like running in circles waiting for you to run into them. Also the weird half framerate monsters on the map in the distance thing is wtf
-A few more things to do in towns besides eat at the inn and shop. Maybe some mini-games or something to make them feel more substantial.
-Cutscene direction. Could be better. A lot of standing still talking. I know some of the past 3d Tales games had better cutscene direction. Though the cutscene presentation with transitions is very nice here.
-Graphics, they could be a bit better and AA/AF would be nice on PS4.

Are those Go Shiina tracks? I'm especially looking forward to hearing his contributions :)

Yep. The elemental dungeons are cool stuff with very epic tracks.

The 25% I'd like to see them improve for the next Tales with Zestiria as the base is:

-Even more connected open world. I don't want loading screens between parts of a dungeon or 1st floor/2nd floor. Stream that stuff. Also I just want everything to really feel like one giant world instead of a bunch of connected sections. For whatever reason Xenoblade/FFXII nail this, but Zestiria still feels like a bunch of connected giant areas and dungeons instead of one cohesive world.
I don't think FF12 nails this , there are still the fade out /face-in transition in ff12 it's really less frequent in zestria , IMO.

I do agree that having a giant world without those is the best .
-Camera, this was pretty bad haha ^^;
A real problem in-doors.i think that's why they made big open space in dongeons , but they failed to integrate the dongeon design within it
-A small nitpick but the world map is the worst I've ever seen in a game. It's so hard to visually tell the geography of the world and not being able to pan around freely to see what the Zestiria world looks like is really dumb and annoying. Make a good world map next time!
Mostly annoyed by the fact that the star toward you r next objective only appears when you are on the map the objective is on...Xillia 1 &2 nailed this , not sure with we've got backwards.
-Better rewards for optional dungeons and stuff. They're fun to explore, but they'd be more fun if you actually got cool stuff from exploring them.
-Which leads into the equipment/skill system, I don't mind it, but next time they should do something a little more traditional here. Mainly because most of the chests are useless in Zestiria because the equipment doesn't work right with your character or compare in stats. With a more normalized equipment system, they can make exploring more worthwhile through good loot in chests.
I believe this experiement with equipment is a failure..., they should go back to a more traditionnal setup ..the base game also lack unlockables..
-A few more things to do in the open fields besides chests/monsters/discoveries. Try to have more of an ecosystem where monsters live and interact with each other instead of just like running in circles waiting for you to run into them. Also the weird half framerate monsters on the map in the distance thing is wtf
-A few more things to do in towns besides eat at the inn and shop. Maybe some mini-games or something to make them feel more substantial.
Was the last tales of to have mini games vesperia PS3 ?
Feels like forever ..
As for the ecosystem , it's obvious they were limited by the hardware... i still think the game lacks ennemies on the open fields.
-Cutscene direction. Could be better. A lot of standing still talking. I know some of the past 3d Tales games had better cutscene direction. Though the cutscene presentation with transitions is very nice here.
-Graphics, they could be a bit better and AA/AF would be nice on PS4.

Yep. The elemental dungeons are cool stuff with very epic tracks.

AA/AF , anything to polish the image quality , it's needed

Quick question to anybody who finished the game and the DLC.

Is it required to finish the game and have that save in order to do the DLC? I ask because I just realized I started the game and got 24 hours in on my US account instead of my JP account, which means I can only grab the DLC on my account that has no save file. OTL

EDIT: NEVER MIND. Just switched back to my US account and saw that the DLC is accessible over there even though I DL'd on my JP account. Crisis averted.

Peff

Quick question to anybody who finished the game and the DLC.

Is it required to finish the game and have that save in order to do the DLC? I ask because I just realized I started the game and got 24 hours in on my US account instead of my JP account, which means I can only grab the DLC on my account that has no save file. OTL

You can optionally import the save file to play the way you finished the game, but you can also just start fresh from level 75 without even having finished the game. Regardless, DLC works with all accounts once it has been downloaded, so you can just keep using your US account.

EDIT: Haha, yep.

artsi

AA/AF , anything to polish the image quality , it's needed

Yeah. AA and AF too of course, but most of it all the rendering resolution is horrible (has to be sub-720p), I think it shows that the engine already needs PS4 to perform as it should.

Soriku

Graces F had Magic Carta and Shot Cube for minigames, but the Xillia games had nothing. Not a huge deal to me, but a few sidequests in the next game would be nice. I remember older games like Symphonia having several.

Peff

Graces F had Magic Carta and Shot Cube for minigames, but the Xillia games had nothing. Not a huge deal to me, but a few sidequests in the next game would be nice. I remember older games like Symphonia having several.

Xillia 2 had poker, which was somewhat pointless, but still.

Everyone's talking about a PS4 port, is there anything pointing to the possibility of it even existing?

It'll probably happen, the PS3 is fading away fairly fast in the west. Not likely to be this year, though.

Bebpo

Banned
Everyone's talking about a PS4 port, is there anything pointing to the possibility of it even existing?

Who knows. They like to re-release Tales games on new systems but there was nowhere to re-release Xillia 1 & 2 so it didn't happen there (in a way you could say they re-released Xillia with Xillia 2 :p). This time around it could be possible to re-release Zestiria on PS4 next year, especially in time for a delayed western release, but who knows.

I wouldn't rebuy/replay it on PS4 because it's not really the kind of game that's going to be particularly different or that much better with just better graphics, but it'll probably give a nicer first impression in the west if they do port it to PS4 for the western release. With some AA/AF and 1080p it should look about as good as Vesperia.

Peff

Who knows. They like to re-release Tales games on new systems but there was nowhere to re-release Xillia 1 & 2 so it didn't happen there (in a way you could say they re-released Xillia with Xillia 2 :p). This time around it could be possible to re-release Zestiria on PS4 next year, especially in time for a delayed western release, but who knows.

I wouldn't rebuy/replay it on PS4 because it's not really the kind of game that's going to be particularly different or that much better with just better graphics, but it'll probably give a nicer first impression in the west if they do port it to PS4 for the western release. With some AA/AF and 1080p it should look about as good as Vesperia.

Yeah, it's funny how simple it would be to clean up most of the bigger issues the game has. 1080p/rock solid 30fps would take care of the better part of the visual niggles, fixing the camera would just take the good old invisible wall/rocks approach, and they could even include an Alisha Narikiri doll, haha.

Mendrox

Xillia 2 had poker, which was somewhat pointless, but still.

It'll probably happen, the PS3 is fading away fairly fast in the west. Not likely to be this year, though.

Poker was the best way to get everyones dual hi ougis though... Countless hourless would have been wasted if I didn't use the poker trick.

Top Bottom