• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales Of Zestiria is coming to PS3/PS4 October 16th and PC October 20th

Nyoro SF

So all the other graphical enhancements are for the PC version? That stinks if true. I'm sure the PS4 can handle them.

I'm sure if the PS4 could handle them, they'd do it. No reason not to, to toot the horn of the improved version of your title.

Same goes for 60fps on PC, I'm sure they know what their limits are financially and timing wise.

So all the other graphical enhancements are for the PC version? That stinks if true. I'm sure the PS4 can handle them.

No, the PS4 is specifically mentioned as getting a resolution upgrade and better draw distance and it's not clear which of the other improvements apply to the PS4.

MaLDo

I will not bother to answer these previous stupid accusations of elitism. It's pathetic.

A port isn't a subpar port just because it's locked to a framerate because of reasonable reasons. This has at least 4K support and other graphical options, as well as better draw distance and shadows. That's not what a subpar port is.
If you want to call something subpar, call the original game it, for having the framerate locked to animation. There's nothing much a port can do without extending the budget to unsustainable levels.

But this is not correct. Those reasonable "reasons" for you and that justify a 30 fps locked framerate according to you, are equally valid for any other game with framerate blocked. Oh, people, is so difficult. No, let's see, it's not so difficult. You are not able to do it, and that's it.

I am delighted that Japanese games arrive to PC. But we must not show us desperate enough to buy things that don't meet our most basic standards. If a 30 fps game meet yours standards, then perfect. Go and buy it. But it's not the right message that people who want to play games over 30 fps, buy this game.

Aeana

Not buying this game will send no message, in any way, shape, or form, to anyone that people don't want to play 30 fps games

That's true. Being vocal about it will, however, send a message, so it would be nice if people who are telling those who are dissatisfied to shut up would take their own advice.

Dio

Banned
Not buying this game will send no message, in any way, shape, or form, to anyone that people don't want to play 30 fps games

Pretty much. It'll just tell people not to bother making PC ports anymore and that it's not worth it.

Like Aeana said, bringing it up to people involved will make a difference, but just 'not buying it' isn't enough.

Falk

that puzzling face
The PC market demanding things isn't going to really change much as far as the fundamental way Japanese developers make games go, for reasons that would probably cover two or three separate topics.

I will not bother to answer these previous stupid accusations of elitism. It's pathetic.

But this is not correct. Those reasonable "reasons" for you and that justify a 30 fps locked framerate according to you, are equally valid for any other game with framerate blocked. Oh, people, is so difficult. No, let's see, it's not so difficult. You are not able to do it, and that's it.

I am delighted that Japanese games arrive to PC. But we must not show us desperate enough to buy things that don't meet our most basic standards. If a 30 fps game meet yours standards, then perfect. Go and buy it. But it's not the right message that people who want to play games over 30 fps, buy this game.

Buying Dark Souls terrible port led to Dark Souls good ports.

That's true. Being vocal about it will, however, send a message, so it would be nice if people who are telling those who are dissatisfied to shut up would take their own advice.

Also that.

MUnited83

For you.

You ain't sending any message by not buying it. If anything, the only effect you would have was not getting any more ports at all.
Supporting the game and voicing to them what they could improve in future titles? That would work better. Go check Dark Souls.

kewlmyc

Complaining about the lackluster port did too, which is what many people on both threads are doing. It could be said that the complaining did more since a crap port selling well would normally teach a developer that minimum effort is easily rewarded.

Complaining about the lackluster port did too, which is what many people on both threads are doing. It could be said that the complaining did more since a crap port selling well would normally teach a developer that minimum effort is easily rewarded.

I'd say that buying and complaining is a fair point. Basically, it's users feedback.

MUnited83

For you.
and buying the game will send the message that I have no standards and would be fine with a crap port.

It's not a crap port as far as we know so this is just terrible reasoning. You're basing the quality of it on ether it has a unlocked framerate or not and ignoring everything else. That's dumb, especially considering the fact that the people porting it can't really do anything about the framerate.

Nyoro SF

and buying the game will send the message that I have no standards and would be fine with a crap port.

Ultimately you need to disassociate purchases with non-purchase as messages and just be very vocal (and polite) on social media.

After all as you can see, 60fps is such a contentious issue we already have a 6-page GAF thread and a lot of annoyed people on Twitter. I haven't looked at Facebook yet but FB comments tend to be the most vitriolic (lol) so it wouldn't surprise me to see people mad as hell there.

ezodagrom

I'm confident the game will run like garbage on PC after today's news so PS4 it is!
Based on their blog, PC and PS4 versions are alike, except PC version has a few extras (higher resolution support, higher draw distance, higher anti-aliasing, for example).
There's nothing indicating that the PC version will run like garbage, if anything the PC version will be the best of the 3.

They're gonna livestream the PC version next week too, doubt they'd do that if it ran like garbage.

K.Sabot

There's literally no evidence for that but go ahead and push that narrative, surely will work just fine.

For what we're getting between the PS4 and PC versions, I'd rather take no risk than any!

Now if there was something worth taking the risk of a bad PC port for then I'd consider it, a little more draw distance isn't worth it.

0 confidence in the PC port from me until they earn it.

Momentary

Banned
People calling this a crap port are wrong. This port of the console game has added extras not found on the PS3 or the PS4. Calling it a crap port wouldn't be the right way to put it. Missing features that you want is another thing though. The port looks to be superior to whats being offered on other platforms.

An example of a sub par port would be One Piece Pirate Warriors 3. Missing Character textures, random controller issues, graphical glitches, locked graphical settings that give you below PS3 quality fidelity, locked framerate at 59 FPS, no online modes.The game is still fun for some, but it is a bad port. It's not the worst ever, but it's the least desirable version. But that's Koei Tecmo, Bandai just published it.

Even Dark Souls wasn't a bad port. It was a better version than what you got with any of the consoles. It just missed features PC gamers come to expect in a port that's given to them. Like this game. We expected 60FPS, but we are not getting it. But look at what console gamer aren't getting. Saying this that these ports are bad isn't right I think. We're just not getting premium ports. But I consider Zestiria to be premium as long as they deliver with everything else.

For what we're getting between the PS4 and PC versions, I'd rather take no risk than any!

Now if there was something worth taking the risk of a bad PC port for then I'd consider it, a little more draw distance isn't worth it.

More features means it's likely they actually put some work into it.

People calling this a crap port are wrong. This port of the console game has added extras not found on the PS3 or the PS4. Calling it a crap port wouldn't be the right way to put it. Missing features that you want is another thing though. The port looks to be superior to whats being offered on other platforms.

An example of a sub par port would be One Piece Pirate Warriors 3. Missing Character textures, random controller issues, graphical glitches, locked graphical settings that give you below PS3 quality fidelity, locked framerate at 59 FPS, no online modes.The game is still fun for some, but it is a bad port. It's not the worst ever, but it's the least desirable version. But that's Koei Tecmo, Bandai just published it.

Even Dark Souls wasn't a bad port. It was a better version than what you got with any of the consoles. It just missed features PC gamers come to expect in a port that's given to them. Like this game. We expected 60FPS, but we are not getting it. But look at what console gamer aren't getting. Saying this is bad is kind of ridiculous.

Exactly. People should understand that a port implies it's coming from another support/version. You judge whenever a port is good or not compared to the original version. When you get the exact same specs and content, that's a direct port. When your port runs actually worse, has worse graphics or options, it's a shitty port. When it has more features and runs well, then it's good port.

Now of course, I won't lie. I play on PC, so I expect features on par with the hardware I have. Having these features qualify to me as a good port. But it's not either good or shitty.

ezodagrom

They're gonna livestream the PC version next thursday, that should give an idea of how it'll run?

Momentary

Banned

I don't think Bandai Namco has put out a bad port yet. OPPW3 doesn't count. But this pretty much kills my expectations of the new Naruto game being 60.

It's not a crap port as far as we know so this is just terrible reasoning. You're basing the quality of it on ether it has a unlocked framerate or not and ignoring everything else. That's dumb, especially considering the fact that the people porting it can't really do anything about the framerate.

I'd call any PC port that isn't 60fps crap, it's not the fault of the porters if the game logic is tied to framerate, but it's still a reason for me to not get the game at all, hopefully Namco gets the message and we end up getting a DS1>DS2 situation with the next Tales game that comes to PC.

It sucks because this game having dual audio is awesome and I wanted to support it, I might end up getting it for cheap on Steam someday, and maybe someone will find how to unlock the framerate even if it breaks the game a bit.

Momentary

Banned
I'd call any PC port that isn't 60fps crap, it's not the fault of the porters if the game logic is tied to framerate, but it's still a reason for me to not get the game at all, hopefully Namco gets the message and we end up getting a DS1>DS2 situation with the next Tales game that comes to PC.

I wouldn't call the port crap, but I would say that pre-development decisions weren't thought out very well before the game was put into production.

MUnited83

For you.

They are actually doing several improvements to the game that are not present in the PS4 version. This is not a crap port by any stretch of imagination and if you insist it is you have no idea what a crap port actually is. You're by extension calling the port making itselft crap, like somehow they could unlock the framerate if they really wanted. This is not the case, and they seem to be doing what is within their possibilities, including improvements that take advantage of the platform and will make it the definitive version of the game.

I get that it isn't up to your standards and that's fine. The issue here is calling it crap, it makes no sense.

Bladenic

It sucks because this game having dual audio is awesome and I wanted to support it, I might end up getting it for cheap on Steam someday, and maybe someone will find how to unlock the framerate even if it breaks the game a bit.

You're just the worst kind of person

They are actually doing several improvements to the game that are not present in the PS4 version. This is not a crap port by any stretch of imagination and if you insist it is you have no idea what a crap port actually is. You're by extension calling the port making itselft crap, like somehow they could unlock the framerate if they really wanted. This is not the case, and they seem to be doing what is within their possibilities, including improvements that take advantage of the platform and will make it the definitive version of the game.

I get that it isn't up to your standards and that's fine. The issue here is calling it crap, it makes no sense.

fine, I'm just calling it crap because the minimum I expect from a port is for it to be 60fps, I'm not taking in consideration anything else obviously. You're right, this game on PC is probably going to be at least as good as the PS4 version so that will be good enough for some people.

I'll just say it's a game that I won't buy because it doesn't do something that should be expected of basically any PC game in 2015.

You're just the worst kind of person

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not lol.

MaLDo

The moment DSFix was released a sales peak happened. I bought the game the moment DSFix was released too. A lot of talk was made about the big improvement that playing at 60 fps was. This situation was a revelation for From Software and BN.

Peff

The moment DSFix was released a sales peak happened. I bought the game the moment DSFix was released too. A lot of talk was made about the big improvement that playing at 60 fps was. This situation was a revelation for From Software and BN.

Oh please. DSfix didn't actually fix the framerate until several months later, the original version was for the 720p lock. Dark Souls was a port on a shoestring budget made solely because people online made a lot of noise.After testing the waters Namco saw there was an audience and went all-in with the rest of their games to the point where the PC version of a Dragon Ball game completely destroys all the console versions, which would have been a ridiculous sentence some years ago. It's unfortunate that the tales team decided to tie the game logic to the framerate the one time no part of the game is 60fps and it just so happens to be the first PC release, but chances are they've passed the feedback along for the next one.

ezodagrom

The 60fps framerate unlock on DSFix was something that came quite a bit later though, and it wasn't (and probably still isn't) issues free.

MaLDo

Oh please. DSfix didn't actually fix the framerate until several months later, the original version was for the 720p lock. Dark Souls was a port on a shoestring budget made solely because people online made a lot of noise.After testing the waters Namco saw there was an audience and went all-in with the rest of their games to the point where the PC version of a Dragon Ball game completely destroys all the console versions, which would have been a ridiculous sentence some years ago. It's unfortunate that the tales team decided to tie the game logic to the framerate the one time no part of the game is 60fps and it just so happens to be the first PC release, but chances are they've passed the feedback along for the next one.

I thought was not necessary to particularize up to that point.

Obviously, I was referring to the moment the DSFix version that allowed to play at 60 fps was released.

SephLuis

Even Dark Souls wasn't a bad port. It was a better version than what you got with any of the consoles. It just missed features PC gamers come to expect in a port that's given to them. Like this game. We expected 60FPS, but we are not getting it. But look at what console gamer aren't getting. Saying this that these ports are bad isn't right I think. We're just not getting premium ports. But I consider Zestiria to be premium as long as they deliver with everything else.

This right here is what I would call a good post and user feedback.

Namco probably knows people would like 60 fps or unlocked, but being viable for this localization is another question entirely.

Just hope people don't jump out of this game just because of the fps limit.

Top Bottom