• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales producer: No plans for X1, PS4, Wii U; will move when most Tales fans have

I'd be happy if they just plain brought over all the Tales games they have in Japan on the PS3 and Vita.

Too bad we'll just get more Xillia.

NB gettin' all smart 'n stuff. I'm so proud.

Upside: less risk
Downside: best chance to gain brand awareness and marketshare is by releasing early in a gen. Dramatically kill your upside.

It wouldn't be a smash hit because it's too anime cutesy to sell millions out west. If they changed up their artstyle so that more people wouldn't be put off by the artstyle it would be a real seller though, since the mechanics are great.

"What's all these skeletons and carnage doing around this treasure? LOL, I dunno. It's my treasure now!"

Actually I bought a 360 when I heard Vesperia was on it, also SO4 got a 360 relase along with Last Remnant and FF13.

Eventually the JRPG market shifted from 360 to PS3 and I have yet to buy one and I'm mad because I'm missing tons of tales etc. Will buy one soon

Judging from sales there's about ~200k (in Japan) of those kind of Tales fans that buy the games regardless of platform, still the best results have always come from the Playstation platforms so it's not some huge leap of logic to posit that the same would be true of PS4.

That didn't stop them from doing Gamecube and 360 games until they finally realized the audience had gone to the PS3 with Xilia.
Both those games got ported to a Playstation platform and which one sold the most? Hideo Baba has said over and over again that they now know where their audience is, so it's not surprising to see them not experimenting with multiple platforms anymore.

ryuzaki57

Banned
Tales of Xillia 3: Milla Returns

Do want!

Anyway, how does he know when the Tales of fanbase has upgraded for PS4 if he doesn't release any game? (but I guess he can just check the PS4 FF games sales). And just how in hell can he complain about install base when he released ToV only for 360 back in 2008? Software sells hardware, why can't developers understand that simple thing?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
This was totally expected, PS3 has been good for them and early bets don't always pay off for such "niche" titles. I wouldn't expect anything until the PS4 has been out for a year or two.

the article also mentions the fact that symphonia for PS3 was anounced eventough baba was quashing those rumors mere weeks ago.
whoa, I totally missed the ToSHD announcement.

3Kaze

Well there is a new scan (Famitsu?) about the ranking of most wanted series on PS4 and Tales is 2nd after Final Fantasy.

If they started putting their Tales games on Steam, that'd be a dream come true @_@

Namco is slowly putting out more of their games on PC (Dark Souls [II incoming], Ace Combat Assault Horizon, Naruto UNS3 found in the Steam registry, etc).

alf717

I was really hoping Symphonia HD was coming to Wii U but since it is PS3 I have no choice but to pass. Not a big deal anyway since I already played one on GC and the other on Wii.

Do you think Bamco will bring over Tales of Vesperia if the Symphonia collection sells well?

Otherwise a ToD collection would be jawdropping amazing as well but a Tales of Vesperia+Tales of Xillia 2 would be far cheaper for western releases in japan. One Tales game ever 6 months would be very good for Bamco to build up a tales audience.

Drachma

Banned
Hopefully there'll be less dicking around across multiple platforms when they do go next gen this time.

They know where the audience will be, so no excuses.

Espada

Damn, sounds like the next Tales may be on the PS3. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved the series over to the 3DS, though. If they're playing it super safe there's no surer bet that that.

Bladenic

Hopefully there'll be less dicking around across multiple platforms when they do go next gen this time.

They know where the audience will be, so no excuses.

This. Keep the main installments on one platform (and no more of these new editions/ports with vastly more content) and keep the spinoffs/shitty remakes to handhelds.

18-Volt

Namco shoul focus on localizing titles rather than making new ones. We still haven't got Innocence R or Hearts R.

Rpgmonkey

Pretty sure they've already picked the horse they're betting on, but there's not much reason to talk about a game that 2-3 years away when there's stuff releasing before it.

I think spending over two years so far without announcing/releasing another 3DS Tales game to follow up Abyss is kind of a mistake, but otherwise it doesn't seem like a bad plan to go with their chosen platforms.

Crawl

time for everyone to buy a ps4.

image.php

Eusis

Well, they could've at least made the Symphonia collection a PS3/Wii U multiplat, I'm crazy and like to keep certain series lined up with the platform line they came out on (though come to think of it Abyss Vita would've been pretty nice too. It'd probably have been all 60 FPS too or at least qHD.)

Anyways, if they don't already have their plans lined up and are just playing silent I imagine they saw how things went this time on Wii and 360 and would rather wait and be sure, they may've hoped the 360 could actually take off, and it did do a bit better in Japan IIRC, but PS3 curbstomped, they ported Vesperia, they angered international fans by not bringing that over, and remedied that with Graces. I think they'd rather consolidate the titles more this time around.

Pretty sure they've already picked the horse they're betting on, but there's not much reason to talk about a game that 2-3 years away when there's stuff releasing before it.

I think spending over two years so far without announcing/releasing another 3DS Tales game to follow up Abyss is kind of a mistake, but otherwise it doesn't seem like a bad plan to go with their chosen platforms.

Weren't they expecting like 250k for Abyss 3DS? They probably weren't too pleased with the sales.

ethomaz

Banned
I think they didn't want to make the same mistake releasing a Tales in a plataform with few fans of the franchise.

After the release of the first Tales games in 360 and Wii they ported to PS3 and released others exclusives... the Tales fan base is actually in PS3.

I don't expect that to change... the PS3 fan base will move to PS4.

Flamfas

Well if this means they avoid more console hopping, then I am perfectly OK with this.

Still not sure what they're going to do with handhelds yet though. Seventh Chord is probably making Tempest R for Vita as we speak, but what about Namco themselves? I would like for them to give 3DS another shot - the platform has really turned around.

Brokun

Why is it depressing? Tales will transition to next-gen, but there's enough PS3 milking potential with greater ROI to justify sticking with that platform until the next-gen consoles take off.

Guess so. Is it foolhardy to hope for a jRPG launch title for next-gen?

DarkSoul

Neo Member
No idea if those were real expectations or not, but odd and unlikely sales expectations for Tales games is nothing new, so it's possible haha.

That may not be that outlandish, I was unable to get Abyss years ago as it was never released in EU and the 3DS was the first opportunity I had to play it.

Meelow

Banned
Weren't they expecting like 250k for Abyss 3DS? They probably weren't too pleased with the sales.

http://nintendoeverything.com/93196/namco-bandai-considers-tales-of-the-abyss-a-success-in-europe/

It’s unclear how well Tales of the Abyss 3DS sold in Europe. Nonetheless, Namco Bandai is pleased with the game’s performance.

Based on new comments from a Namco Bandai representative, the company wishes it had advertised Abyss more in Europe. That didn’t stop the title from surpassing expectations, however.

Kingdom of Tales, paraphrasing a remark from the rep, says that it “sold unexpectedly fast and well, and they had to print copies of the game again three or four times.” Namco Bandai considers Abyss’ sales “as a success in its own way, and encourages Namco Bandai Partners in its decision to localize more Tales games in the future.”

Abyss, along with the recently released Graces F in North America, are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Tales localizations going forward. Namco Bandai hopes to make the series more well-known in North America and Europe. Furthermore, the company would like to “attract new gamers who enjoy video games with anime characteristics, something the Tales series keep but the Final Fantasy series gradually lost.”

Top Bottom