• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talib Kweli on White Supremacists Fetishizing Asian Women and Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nXUOixv3hc

He fucks up a pronunciation here or there, but there's some good points here.

Talib Kweli, a NYC rapper speaks on Eurocentric standards of beauty found in media all over the world and how after his brief criticism of this on twitter he was hounded by White Supremacists

Also:
-Why there are no real positive stereotypes
-His thoughts on Rachel Dozelal and how she only took away from People of Color

It'd really be nice to accompany a video with a brief synopsis of the content with ones own opinion accompanied.

Can't look at YT videos atm so this thread does nothing for me + those in my boat.

It'd really be nice to accompany a video with a brief synopsis of the content with ones own opinion accompanied.

Can't look at YT videos atm so this thread does nothing for me + those in my boat.

Yea I'm usually hesitant with no quotes or summary, they love those view hits.

entremet

He's been pretty strong on pushing back on the alt-right nonsense.

A true Social Justice Warrior--non pejorative--to emulate.

Sou Da

Yea I'm usually hesitant with no quotes or summary, they love those view hits.

Edited it a bit for you.

That's how you pronounce waifu?

It's more like why-foo iirc, but this is probably the first time he's ever said it aloud.

Litan

Yeah, it occured to me not too long ago that the fetishization of Asian women are always the light skinned asians. You don't really see that shit for south east Asian women.

I'm two minutes in, and the video seems pretty on point so far, but I looked up Talib Kweli on Wikipedia, and it says that he refuses to vote? How can he be so passionate about social issues and not vote? I hope that his stance has changed since 2013...

Good video.

You know I always side eye people with anime avatars when they complain about sjws warriors a lot....

image.php

Future

I'm two minutes in, and the video seems pretty on point so far, but I looked up Talib Kweli on Wikipedia, and it says that he refuses to vote? How can he be so passionate about social issues and not vote? I hope that his stance has changed since 2013...

Liberals man. The party that just invents reasons not to vote and then complains about the government.

I want to comment not exactly on white supremacy but the alt-right (and I know gaf will say that they're interchangeable and maybe that's true to an extent.)

Alt-right and anime:

I think that it's because a lot of the current day alt-right lived are pretty nerdy dudes that don't socialize very well. And naturally, they become Anime fans (sorry, but it is a BIT true,) and the world of Anime is really amazing to these dudes. The male protagonists are usually weird and goofy and they always have like 3 curvy ass sexy chicks head over heels over them for some reason. Women in Anime are perfect and cute. They don't have harsh opinions about feminism. Sometimes the chicks in anime are strong, but strong chicks in anime are always flopping their massive tits everywhere and giving every dude a panty shot every 30 seconds so it's ok.

Also --- I lived in Japan for 5 years and I've kind of come to the conclusion that Otaku and Alt-right share a lot of things that are "fan service" for both. Girls are feminine AF. TV shows (even on day-time tv,) zooms in on chicks boobs and underskirts all the time. And it's not like there's a strong feminist revolution that's present. Maybe it's going on somewhere, but you won't find it much online. Now what's "cool" about being white is that you can go to Japan and probably find at least a mildly attractive girlfriend (if you're from a small town in rural America, this girl will be like a 10/10,) and the love and admiration of white people in Japan helps white supremacy respect Asians -- specifically Japanese -- because that is the culture that Alt-right like. In China, I've met a lot of racist , far right Trump- supporters that have soft spots for Asians, because again, Anime, Japanese culture (the Otaku side of it,) and that Asia Asians REALLY look up to white people.

Yeah..........

Samurai Jack is a Western show from Cartoon Network!

I know, I'm implying that how he looks at people.

Also lol @ gun, Donald, Pepe, or anime avatars.

Shoutout Talib Kweli using his platform to say what a lot of Black GAF thinks and share with each other

"No such thing as a positive stereotype." TRUTH

Madness

Yeah, it occured to me not too long ago that the fetishization of Asian women are always the light skinned asians. You don't really see that shit for south east Asian women.

I think you guys push Eurocentric standards of beauty when you say things like this are the cause of Europeans or White people. Light skin has long been seen as a source of beauty in Asia for millenia before colonization whether in China, India, Japan, etc. Additionally, I fail to see what Eurocentric standards of beauty exist now that didn't exist in Asia? Take a look at ancient Mongol texts and art, The many Chinese dynasties, things like ancient Indian goddesses and drawings. See how beauty standards like long straight hair, the caste system and lighter skin was always there.

Sou Da

Yeah..........

I've always felt it was pretty simple where White Supremacist ideology and their perception of Japan and Japanese Culture intersect.

Nearly 100% ethnically homogeneous country that manages to be the world leader in multiple industries and has a culture of subservient pure women.

Again all seen through a rose tinted lens but this is the rhetoric more often than not.

Also lol @ gun, Donald, Pepe, or anime avatars.

You forgot the Boston Sports Teams

sphagnum

Banned
I think you guys push Eurocentric standards of beauty when you say things like this are the cause of Europeans or White people. Light skin has long been seen as a source of beauty in Asia for millenia before colonization whether in China, India, Japan, etc. Additionally, I fail to see what Eurocentric standards of beauty exist now that didn't exist ior n Asia? Take a look at ancient Mongol texts and art, The many Chinese dynasties, things like ancient Indian goddesses and drawings. See how beauty standards like long straight hair, the caste system and lighter skin was always there.

The poster is talking about how white people fetishize East Asians but not Southeast Asian, not the way that Asians feel about themselves.

Torokil

99% of anime characters are "japanese" but it's rather boring to draw hundreds of straight faced black haired characters so they mix it up. Its not because of some Hollywood worship or whatever. There's also a practical reason in the case of manga (which many anime are adapted from), where having black or brown characters means that you have to apply screening on them every time, which increases costs and time.

This sums up todays lesson in anime.

Also, the "alt right" has its roots in 4chan's /pol/ board. Its why pepe is so prominent as well.

Talib's explanation of all this is pretty much bullshit and just dances with dumb theories.

Women in Anime are perfect and cute. They don't have harsh opinions about feminism. Sometimes the chicks in anime are strong, but strong chicks in anime are always flopping their massive tits everywhere and giving every dude a panty shot every 30 seconds so it's ok.

And to top it off, they all happen to be virgins lol

99% of anime characters are "japanese" but it's rather boring to draw hundreds of straight faced black haired characters so they mix it up. Its not because of some Hollywood worship or whatever. There's also a practical reason in the case of manga (which many anime are adapted from), where having black or brown characters means that you have to apply screening on them every time, which increases costs and time.

Also, the "alt right" has its roots in 4chan's /pol/ board. Its why pepe is so prominent as well.

Talib's explanation of all this is pretty much bullshit and just dances with dumb theories.

This is a bad post unless you are joking by pretending to have an argument against the one Talib presented. The argument on why anime isn't diverse enough to include people of color (South Asian, Native-American, African decent, Hispanics, and others) is a bad one. Because it costs too much and take too much time...okay.

In case you are being serious:

How can a character be "Japanese" with majority European features? How is it not "rather boring" (your language) to constantly draw these European featured characters with big colorful eyes.

The alt-right being rooted in 4chan, and 4chan's love for anime does not disprove anything that was said in the video.

Also you ignore the argument that white supremacists will stereotype Asians as smarter to insult other races; and there infatuation with Asians is due to their fetishization of Asian culture (anime).

RM8

Anime avatars saying super alt-righty stuff is definitely a thing, but I still don't understand why, lol.

"White supremacy is global" is imo infantilizing the argument. Light skin has ruled supreme in asia for thousands of years, it didn't suddenly occur with western contact into asia. Light skin is ruling class, dark skin meant you worked in the fields and were exposed to the sun constantly. Just like up until this century being fat was viewed as successful and rich in most of the world.

Is that really racism? Taken to extremes like untouchables in India probably yes, but its racism built on a fundamental setup of society, caste structure, identity built on your job and place in the world, etc. Its not simply this view that white people ran around poking at people and suddenly everyone wanted to be like them. In fact for most of Asian history white people were just viewed as weird, ghost-like, barbarians, etc and the skin color was viewed as negative - a huge difference between very, very light brown and "white".

The exact thing happened with western animation too!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
There's also a practical reason in the case of manga (which many anime are adapted from), where having black or brown characters means that you have to apply screening on them every time, which increases costs and time.

Eh, I highly doubt that. Mangaka go to extreme lengths in some instances to apply highly detailed screening to objects, characters, and backgrounds. In some instances they even have assistants do it. Slapping some tone on a character's skin won't be any different than the artist applying a screen to the protagonist's jacket every panel.

Torokil

How can a character be "Japanese" with majority European features? How is it not "rather boring" (your language) to constantly draw these European featured characters with big colorful eyes.

They aren't white though. Asian animators usually let the audience know if someone is "white" through different styles of hair and especially long noses

1479634479399.jpg

You see "white features" in all these anime characters but the Japanese do it for stylization.

Nudull

Banned
Asians are always seen by racists as the "ideal minority" with some seeing their culture as not as progressive compared to western culture, leading to asian women in particular getting sexualized/exoticized beyond belief and seen as much more manipulable because "they're not as smart and uppity as those feminazi white women!".

It's been a longtime issue with the anime/manga community and how they see real AND fictional Japanese women, though many will be quick to handwave this as simply "part of the territory" of being a fan of Japanese culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom