• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talib Kweli on White Supremacists Fetishizing Asian Women and Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypernima

Banned
This is a bad post unless you are joking by pretending to have an argument against the one Talib presented.

In case you are being serious:

How can a character be "Japanese" with majority European features? How is it not "rather boring" (your language) to constantly draw these European featured characters with big colorful eyes.

The alt-right being rooted in 4chan, and 4chan's love for anime does not disprove anything that was said in the video.

The one point about the "Japaneseness" of a character is true. By default the character is Japanese unless stated (think Hei from DTB who is Chinese) Or their racial features are well defined to differentiate. Most white ppl in anime are heavily stereotyped feature wise (blue eyes, blonde hair, like november 11)

Karin from Street Fighter is a wild card tho. She's definitely Japanese but maybe she's a bottle blonde.

what was he arguing at :38 onward then

That in anime the good characters or protagonist looks European while the bad characters look more diverse (but it cost too much to draw them like this right?)

Also that white supremacists will stereotype Asians as smarter to insult other races; and there infatuation with Asians is due to their fetishization of Asian culture (anime).

Firemind

Yeah, it occured to me not too long ago that the fetishization of Asian women are always the light skinned asians. You don't really see that shit for south east Asian women.

The poster is talking about how white people fetishize East Asians but not Southeast Asian, not the way that Asians feel about themselves.
Tons of white men go to Thailand and other countries in South East Asia specifically to meet women.

Platy

Asians are always seen by racists as the "ideal minority" with some seeing their culture as not as progressive compared to western culture, leading to asian women in particular getting sexualized/exoticized beyond belief and seen as much more manipulable because "they're not as smart and uppity as those feminazi white women!".

It's been a longtime issue with the anime/manga community and how they see real AND fictional Japanese women, though many will be quick to handwave this as simply "part of the territory" of being a fan of Japanese culture.

I find specialy funny that one of the reasons racist talk good about asians is because "they don't mix" with other cultures.

Here in brazil there like 4 entire cities and a full city block in the biggest city in the country full of mixed asians =P

Hell, praticaly every work of the Cowboy Beboop creator is well regarded in some ways BECAUSE of how it mixes jazz and bossa nova !

Einhander

AnimeGAF put on blast.
/s

It's been pretty apparent on Twitter and Youtube comment sections that a lot of white supremacists have been using anime avatars. It's clearly a trend. Unfortunately, the result of this will be a negative reinforcement to non-racist anime fans, and it turns into a witch hunt.

Look, I know people love to remind everyone of how, historically, darker skinned meant you were poorer in many of these Asian countries. But that's not the reality of white supremacy there now. It's absolutely shifted to the same western eurocentric form as all the rest of the world.

Tons of white men go to Thailand and other countries in South East Asia specifically to meet women.

Excuse my blunt tone with this but when men visit Thailand I was under the assumption they wanted to meet prostitutes, of all sexes, and Thailand is a country that is easiest for them. Similar to how it is more expensive it they went to the Red Light District. Also a power dynamic; from my understanding the people pleasing travelers aren't in the best living situation.

Thailand is famous for women and ..... girls =|

Yup, but I could have also sworn there was a culture of boys being forced in these harmful situations.

Platy

Excuse my blunt tone with this but when men visit Thailand I was under the assumption they wanted to meet prostitutes, of all sexes, and Thailand is a country that is easiest for them. Similar to how it is more expensive it they went to the Red Light District. Also a power dynamic; from my understanding the people pleasing travelers aren't in the best living situation.

Thailand is famous for women and ..... girls =|

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I think they both are being light-hearted about the original comment but the comment "wow you speak well" has the connotation and assumption that the person would not be expected to speak eloquently.
but i didn't say "wow" or "surprisingly well" or any shit like that, i just enjoyed the video :(

The growing trend of anime for fetishization and harem antics alone pissed me the fk off.

Even more so that altright are flocking to this sort of creepy ass ideal.

Well at least we have Jojo.

I find it interesting that the same people in tho other thread implicating whites for imposing an imperialism of Euro-centric beauty standards on the rest of the world (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325939&highlight=) , now appreciate a video complaining about how white men appreciate asian women. Veddy intevesting

Did you not watch the video?

Help me out. What am I missing here?

Explain to me how you got, " a video complaining about how white men appreciate asian women" (your words) from a video that talks about how Asian characters are populated with European features and that Asian culture is being used as a fetish.

A little bit of it.

Then why make a dumbass comment like that if you won't watch the whole video.

Yep can confirm this is true even in third world websites too. Specifically in Mexico, I've seen threads where they post anime of "lolis" in support of right-wing parties, with the blonde and blue eyes like the ones he talks about. Its honestly disgusting. Also his comments about the avatars of alt-right is so spot on too and in Mexican news sites I frequent, the trolls all have either anime avatars, logos of soccer teams, dogs, "Mexican empire" flag, dictators and white European women + the European name mainly in German too. Its pathetic but there are many of them.

But how do we fight back this wave of fascism?

The contradiction is that when whites find asian women attractive outside the Eurocentric model of beauty it's still white supremacy.

A fetish is not the same as attraction. Anime characters look more white than Asian also.

You have all this time to post, why not watch the video

Buzzati

Banned
A fetish is not the same as attraction. Anime characters look more white than Asian also.

I'm not talking about anime characters. Asians draw their own anime, and it has nothing to do with white people imposing imperialism on the East asians. This is an absurd hypothesis with no underlying evidence.

I'm talking about real life asian women.

You know as well as I do he doesn't want to watch the videos lest he gets his shit opinion shut down. Most people barely read OP's, you are expecting them to watch a video?

I'm not talking about anime characters. Asians draw their own anime, and it has nothing to do with white people imposing imperialism on the East asians. This is an absurd hypothesis with no underlying evidence.

So you are not talking about the content of the video in a thread for the video.

You know as well as I do he doesn't want to watch the videos lest he gets his shit opinion shut down. Most people barely read OP's, you are expecting them to watch a video?

I can't argue with your post here haha, Talib isn't the only one speaking truth in this thread. I might as well at least expose ignorance in a drive by poster.

Platy

He starts talking about 6 minutes in on the fetishization of asian women.

Infinite

So you are not talking about the content of the video in a thread for the video.

He starts talking about 6 minutes in on the fetishization of asian women.
Lmao. This guy

I've always felt it was pretty simple where White Supremacist ideology and their perception of Japan and Japanese Culture intersect.

Nearly 100% ethnically homogeneous country that manages to be the world leader in multiple industries and has a culture of subservient pure women.

Again all seen through a rose tinted lens but this is the rhetoric more often than not.

Having spent an inordinate amount of time with them, this is my read on it, too. It's a mix of exotic fetishism (fetishism of the other) and fetishism for their (apparent to them) ethnocentric, homogeneous culture.

It's, as many things with these types of people, hypocritical and contradictory. While they fetishize the cultural norms and subjective exoticness of 'the other,' they also view it as beneath them, the fetishization of others is degenerate because of "race-mixing," but it's less dangerous than say, black, latino, middle-eastern (geographically caucasian and south thereof), as the culture they perceive is the same as they, themselves want (subservient women, male head of household, shame or worse for any deviation).

In essence, they're the type of people that read Hitler's writings and go, "Oh hey, the Japanese are beneath us but they're close enough to Aryan in culture that it's okay to treat them as little more than sex objects!"

So, I mean. Neo nazis.

But we can go further. The places where the 'alt-right --' being neo-nazis except adding anime and memes -- congregate are ALSO where people who tend to drop out of society congregate. People with no social lives, who lack the introspection to see that maybe it's their own fault (and thus cast their hatred outward instead of inward), people with social or mental disorders who haven't gotten help, and so on...they latch onto the imageboard culture. In a mix of disinformation, easily quotable soundbites, funny pictures, these people find a place where they feel wanted. Maybe for once in their lives.

This opens them up to people with agendas -- gamergate, stormfront, and etc, and that begins to infest their minds. Eventually, they spread, finding other safe places to peddle their garbage, places where they won't be banned, or won't be shamed -- or at least, not enough to get rid of them.

In this case, anime is a stand in for open socializing and ego stroking. For things that look like people, and sound like people. But they need to be careful, as messages that go against their delusions can cause problems. So they won't watch a lot of say, Re:Zero -- the main character's introspection leads to attempts to better himself -- but they WILL watch a lot of something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which strokes their fancy. The talk about moral degeneracy and decay, the worship of their "betters," and the subsequent destruction of that degeneracy (while conveniently excusing what would normally be called such on "their" side).

But, I mean...neo-nazis.

But, I'm not a professional. This is just what it looks like to me.

Japan and anime is popular amongst the extreme right winger millenials that populate the internet for some reason. They love Japan because they 'protect their culture' by hating immigrants. Anime because I think they love masturbating to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom